• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anyone else feel like they could've made an amazing and heartwarming intro/tutorial? Like what Disney Infinity does every year, especially the first one.

The first thing I witnessed was Mario being hit by a Thwomp. That's all I needed.

B_Bech

Well...some people would probably say I'm cheating. :) I'm making courses that play music, they're not much better than any other auto-playing courses. But it's taking me quite a while to do them right, and I enjoy doing it!

Wow, well I will definitely check yours out!

massoluk

Banned
Here's hoping for more than 4% clear rate :\
WVW69iYNwassF9cowX

Falling Up Mk II (9101-0000-0023-14B6)
Also
Cannonlol (ED8D-0000-0023-9D42)

I wasn't hyped for this initially but after playing around with it all morning...this might be the greatest game I've ever played. There is just so much content here. It's limitless. And so far the user-created content is more creative and inspired than I would have guessed.

I wish this existed 25 years ago, I would have been in heaven.

massoluk

Banned
Well...some people would probably say I'm cheating. :) I'm making courses that play music, they're not much better than any other auto-playing courses. But it's taking me quite a while to do them right, and I enjoy doing it!

I want to see more courses like that rickrolling that showed up before this game went live.

tuffy

Getting the difficulty just right seems to be the hardest thing of all. Some levels are trivial all the way through ("here's an invincibility star, run through some stuff to the flag"). Some levels are brutal right off the bat and leave no time to warm-up ("here's a bunch of difficult jumps over a bottomless pit next to the start"). But the levels I prefer and try to create are ones with a decent difficulty curve that feel like an accomplishment by the end.

PSqueak

Banned
I got a question about the skinny mushroom, altho i havent gotten it myself i was playing last nite the horror house level posted a few pages ago, some times the question block would give me the skinny mushroom but sometimes it would not, what triggers this?

I noticed skinny Mario also has Luigi's jump and that could break some levels if you design them around skinny mario or regular mario.

Vena

This game really shows you the difficulties of good level design.

I spent hours making a level... then playing it and finding out it was hot garbage. HOT garbage.

Zalman

Uploaded my second Mario Maker level. Just like the first one I made, it encourages exploration: 8274-0000-0023-E661

Here's my first one in case anyone wants to try: A4CA-0000-001E-D035

I've made 3 in the process of unlocking pieces:

First: Turtle, Friend Or Foe? - This one can be tricky, but logic prevails
0762-0000-0021-C5B9

Pyramid Jump Hammer - Tried to invoke classic Mario design...
B223-0000-0023-1191

Super Long Jump - Kinda stumbled into this, liked the idea so I stuck with it!
91FF-0000-00230-C66F

Feedback would be nice, especially for Pyramid Jump Hammer!

Have an idea for an MGS inspired level, coming soon ;)

FaintDeftone

I really wish I could speed up this tool unlocking process. I've put several hours into this game and only have Day 2 tools unlocked. That patch seemed to do nothing to speed this up on my end. Is there a trick to unlocking things early? I've used every single tool, object and item given to me so far multiple times including Amiibos.

I really wish I could speed up this tool unlocking process. I've put several hours into this game and only have Day 2 tools unlocked. That patch seemed to do nothing to speed this up on my end. Is there a trick to unlocking things early? I've used every single tool, object and item given to me so far multiple times including Amiibos.

Copy/paste a bunch of blocks and cover a lot of the map with them. It'll trigger the truck coming early.

Asking this as well.

PSqueak

Banned

Step one: Use everything you have so far (make sure no icon has a !)
Step two: Keep building until you get the notification that you'll get more stuff next day
Step three: Spam ground all across the level to the point you can't add more with maximum level length and just keep adding things, the new set should arrive after a few minutes.

IceMarker

Step two: Keep building until you get the notification that you'll get more stuff next day
Step three: Spam ground all across the level to the point you can't add more with maximum level length and just keep adding things, the new set should arrive after a few minutes.

You can cut that to seconds if you make a large square of blocks, multi-select them all, and then copy and paste them like a mad man for about 5 or so seconds. Just make sure you get the "delivery will arrive tomorrow!" message first.

I pretty much unlocked everything in about 30 minutes using this technique

I downloaded them because I still cannot figure out the music block.
Might make one tomorrow.

daydream

Banned
OK, honest feedback, I think this level has a fatal flaw: the ceiling. The ice blocks do a lot to restrict movement right off the bat, and so does the hazard-heavy level design (including Bowser who literally makes you freeze in place if you let him!) This is fine, but the challenge should come from things the player can control, and banging your head off the ceiling while avoiding things struck me as arbitrary. Mario levels allow for this great freedom of movement, and even difficult levels should remember that. The worst thing about the ceiling is since it's so tight on small Mario, going into the bonus room is pointless because getting big makes you more likely to fall in the lava. Also a pet peeve, but the first fireball feels like a beginner's trap more than a well placed hazard: Mario games are about jumping, and the first one should be free, I think.

With that said there's a lot to like. The puzzle room itself is inspired, tough and fun. The ice blocks themselves are well laid out and at many times you've gone out of your way to make the jumps quite fair. Conceptually, I like the level too: not just the combo of fire and ice, but also the tetrominoes as platforms, the beetles as hazards and the use of small platforms in a Bowser stage. At the end of the day I just thought it was too hard (I did beat it) which makes me concerned about constantly playing super-hard levels given so many people here said your level was well balanced!

Anyway, I hope you keep up the good work. I'm definitely interested in what you do next.

those are all very fair points, thanks a bunch, mate!

I made a really early one called Lakiterror that is pretty rough in a lot of spots, but I did manage to beat it. 78AE-0000-0023-17EF is the code if somebody wants to check it out.

Hint on how to beat it:
Lakitu and a spiny helmet are essential to winning, though there's a couple of backup strategies I've found.

Its pretty fun! The Lakitu cloud makes it really easy towards the end but I felt like the entire level rewarded patience and precision.

Thanks! I had questioned whether it was a good idea to include it or not, and I didn't want to make the end too challenging. I also didn't want to make it impossible to complete if you accidentally missed the cloud. I hate forced fail states, as if the player fails, I want it to be the players fault.

For instance,
this is why I showed the player the first piranha plants at the bottom of a wall they had to slide down, then later on made a taller one with piranha plants later, where they couldn't have seen the trap.
Hopefully the first one will have taught the player about the trap, then the second was checking they paid attention.

AdanVC

This game really shows you the difficulties of good level design.

I spent hours making a level... then playing it and finding out it was hot garbage. HOT garbage.

Share dat code so we can play it I'm sure is not garbage come on! But yeah, this game makes me appreciate even more those devs who make fully fleshed 2d platformers with top notch level design like Shovel Knight, Rayman Legends and DKC: Tropical Freeze as the most recent ones. Creating levels like that in SMM is possible but it takes big ass amount of time and it's sad when you finally upload it and it gets buried really quick due by the amount of levels other people are uploading at the same moment :( We need a better ranking/finding levels system there IMO.

PSqueak

Banned
oh, way to split the level sharing into a different thread from this one, the ot for a game about level sharing

good stuff

I also think it's questionable to do so, but some level codes get quickly drowned on the OT for the constant discussion of other things regarding the game, while a pure level thread really helps having all the codes handy.

Alfredo

I wish you could edit the AI and hit points of enemies. I'm trying to make a Bowser boss fight, and he just takes waaaay too many hits by conventional means, and his air fireballs are really annoying for the map i've made. I've only beaten him once after testing for like an hour, and I'm the guy making the level with the ability to start right before the boss fight. I can't imagine what it'd be like if you were going in fresh and having to restart the level after each death.

TheMoon

Sorry for the stupid question but where can I find the 100 levels that were supposed to be on disc?
The artbook contains keys too levels but they seem to short for online search.

You play them in the 10-Mario challenge, unlock them in the editor (showcase levels) and various other ways. Also, they never claimed there'd be 100 levels on the disc.

PSqueak

Banned
I wish you could edit the AI and hit points of enemies. I'm trying to make a Bowser boss fight, and he just takes waaaay too many hits by conventional means, and his air fireballs are really annoying for the map i've made. I've only beaten him once after testing for like an hour, and I'm the guy making the level with the ability to start right before the boss fight. I can't imagine what it'd be like if you were going in fresh and having to restart the level after each death.

What tileset are you using? SMW and NSMBU (practically the same) Bowser has harder attack patterns than SMB3 Bowser and SMB Bowser.

Also, don't take my word for it but i think he's faster to kill with shells than fire flowers.

daydream

Banned
I also think it's questionable to do so, but some level codes get quickly drowned on the OT for the constant discussion of other things regarding the game, while a pure level thread really helps having all the codes handy.

if everyone went ahead and posted their codes there, the same deluge of codes would have occured. discussion of other things will die down in here as more and more people unlock all the tools.

some basic ai control (movement patterns, health points, etc.) would have been great, for sure. that stuff could have worked across styles, too, so i'm not sure why they didn't do it. maybe they didn't deem it intuitive enough for slow joe in the back row, i guess there's an argument to be made for keeping it simple and pure

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Alright dooders, I woke up this morning and remembered with a jolt the level I'd been wanting to make since I first found out about how Mario 3 Bowser works.

WVW69iYPL-U_e44-6R

Spelunking with the Koopa King
E784-0000-0024-1F8A

I tell ya I'm pretty okay with how it turned out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh, way to split the level sharing into a different thread from this one, the ot for a game about level sharing

good stuff

I ink it could be helpful. Assuming there is a clear link in the OP to the sharing thread, it could clear his one uo to talk about the game more - sharing ideas, tips etc

Luigi87

My very first course! Not too difficult to complete. My main goal was trying to create something similar in feel to a SMW Ghost House. Hope I succeeded!

Haunting Path
C819-0000-0023-FD73

[No Pic]

Robiin

The level sharing thread got closed, so I´ll just post here.

I have made two levels so far, and would love some critique/suggestions!

My first level

Fun with koopa shells

WVW69iYMkFAlmw1tI9

ID: 711E-0000-0022-35B4

Style: New Super Mario Bros.

Description: Jump on the koopas to kick their shells away. My first level so it is very basic, but a fun concept.

Secrets: There´s a small shortcut in the beginning.

Follow the Mushroom

WVW69iYPNGANBaS7Xx

ID: 071A-0000-0024-22B5

Style: Super Mario Bros.

Description: Follow the mushroom, lest you will not be able to leave this plant-filled level! Another super short concept level, still exploring the creator.

Secrets: There is an easter egg in here, good luck finding it.

Forkball

Level sharing thread BTFO

How many sub levels can you have? I built one but it seems I can only make one, and the goal has to be on the top layer.

Alfredo

What tileset are you using? SMW and NSMBU (practically the same) Bowser has harder attack patterns than SMB3 Bowser and SMB Bowser.

Also, don't take my word for it but i think he's faster to kill with shells than fire flowers.

Super Mario World. I might try SMB3 if it fits with the rest of my level.

Fireflowers decimate my Bowser, but I'm trying to encourage the player to use Bobombs.

daydream

Banned
I ink it could be helpful. Assuming there is a clear link in the OP to the sharing thread, it could clear his one uo to talk about the game more - sharing ideas, tips etc

i think there's no better way to share ideas than with levels, imo. also, let's be honest, the amount of level codes posted will become very manageable after 1-2 weeks, a lot of people move on :)

The what?!?

i was wondering when you'd show up! did you upload anything, yet?

Top Bottom