• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

Glass Joe

just getting the end credits usually means very little in a game like this.

Thankfully this is true. It's not like I'm about to put the game down. But I also don't know that I'm gonna collect every coin / moon piece, either. I'm just usually not that kind of gamer.

How does it compare to the Galaxy games?

Galaxy is more about tricky platforming. Odyssey favors exploration more. I know there's a ton I haven't collected, but I found it on the "too easy" side.

Thankfully this is true. It's not like I'm about to put the game down. But I also don't know that I'm gonna collect every coin / moon piece, either. I'm just usually not that kind of gamer.

Galaxy is more about tricky platforming. Odyssey favors exploration more. I know there's a ton I haven't collected, but I found it on the "too easy" side.
im not being contrarian Mr. Joe im just taking this comment as a platform because we are talking about Galaxy.

i think the Galaxy games are the pinnacle of 3D Mario's because at minimun they offer something for every type of 3D Mario player. Like pure platforming like 3D Land/World? Galaxy has it. Like Mario 64 type exploration? Galaxy has some levels. 2D platforming? There's also that.

Plus Galaxy has it's own flavor with the Star Pointer and gravity mechanics. And it also had or has (will see about that when the dust settles) the best bosses in any Mario game.

On a tangent in regards to Odyssey, i think Moonshines that are for sale should have been tied to purple cuarrency since it gives extra insentive to explore for the things. Yellow coins are handed like candy. Also normal mode should have a bigger penalty of coins for each death.

I'm curious if anyone has had their current GOTY usurped by Mario? In a year like this, that would be something indeed.
Probably you won't care what i say but Assassin's Creed Origins is the one that is falling in that category even above Zelda but im just seeing the begining. Really impresive world Ubisoft Black Flag team crafted.

Although not even that will top my years favorite... To be clear my years favorite is probably the favorite one of more than five years.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm really liking the game so far. I've gathered about 76 power moons.

My only complaints are the forced, finicky motion controls that could easily be switched to face buttons (since face button commands are doubled up) and the sometimes funky movement from the left analog stick (probably from 8-direction control instead of being full-analog).

How great would it be to just hit a face button to throw your cap around you in one of the tight situations when you actually need to be able to do that?

fernoca

Still without electricity and without internet over here in PR, but managed to download this using my boyfriend's hotspot. Was kind of a miracle as mobile phones barely work. Incredibly amazing game. Damn it. So great, can only play on handheld and can only charge it at work though. XD

Glass Joe

im not being contrarian Mr. Joe im just taking this comment as a platform because we are talking about Galaxy.

i think the Galaxy games are the pinnacle of 3D Mario's because at minimun they offer something for every type of 3D Mario player. Like pure platforming like 3D Land/World? Galaxy has it. Like Mario 64 type exploration? Galaxy has some levels. 2D platforming? There's also that.

Plus Galaxy has it's own flavor with the Star Pointer and gravity mechanics. And it also had or has (will see about that when the dust settles) the best bosses in any Mario game.

On a tangent in regards to Odyssey, i think Moonshines that are for sale should have been tied to purple cuarrency since it gives extra insentive to explore for the things. Yellow coins are handed like candy. Also normal mode should have a bigger penalty of coins for each death.

I'll say, at the time, I was wow-ed and charmed more by Mario Galaxy than Odyssey. I think we're on the same page there. That felt more revolutionary to me. I'd love to see 1&2 in HD, just on a side note.

Mario is a series that is trying to appeal to any skill level, meaning those who are seasoned gamers aren't going to have too much of a challenge getting to the credit roll. The hard stuff becomes the bonus content... I first really noticed that with 3D Land on the 3DS. A player could technically say they beat the game but after the credits, it really opened up.

I suppose the trend actually started with Super Mario World, and just has become less subtle at the time. Hopefully there will be some good challenges ahead for me with Odyssey. I'm slightly afraid the challenge may be more "find this coin / moon" instead of putting my seasoned skill-based platforming to the test. I personally don't like wandering, but some people love "exploring."

And really, that just comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Shifty

I'm curious if anyone has had their current GOTY usurped by Mario? In a year like this, that would be something indeed.

There's a distinct possibility of it dethroning Ninja Gaiden Black as my GOAT, let alone knocking NieR: Automata out of the GOTY spot.

BotW never had a chance.

jorgejjvr

There's a distinct possibility of it dethroning Ninja Gaiden Black as my GOAT, let alone knocking NieR: Automata out of the GOTY spot.

BotW never had a chance.
Either Mario or Zelda are taking GOTY, it's kinda crazy

What a year. I'm looking forward to game awards this year, sometimes it can feel very dude bro, and my buddies that watch it only expect the cods, shooters etc to win. But Nintendo will be in full force taking names and awards

Oxn

Just played 2-3 hours of this at sisters house. Definitely an amazing experience.

As someone who doesnt have patience anymore for games this really held my interest. I still wont buy a switch but for anyone that enjoys Mario games, this is top tier stuff.

Kimawolf

Yeah just spent bout 8 hours with this game. It's pretty amazing. The music in the secret flower kingdom is pretty amazing. I also feel like the controls are so sharp and the movement so smooth its just... this is a masterful job on game design and pace.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

BotW never had a chance.

Did Zelda not have a chance cause you didn't like it or play it. I expect Horizon: Zero Dawn to make a fair amount of GOTY list as well.

Back to Mario. Is the Co-op mode solid or is it like someone holding the Wiimote getting the star bits in Galaxy?

Game is amazing. Still find it very hard to put it down in favour of other leisure activities, but I have, so I shall post about it!

The developers nailed the feel of the controls and physics, and all the creatures you can capture. Seriously, that little woodpecker bird creature needs its own game. You'll know what I mean. And the bug with the extendable legs? Awesome. This game is big on feel - I spent hours in the Metro kingdom hopping from building to building, figuring out ways to chain Mario's moves to reach new places in more satisfying ways.

There's certain areas later on in the game that also makes you think twice about those controls you've become familiar with, which is great. And the post-game contains a wealth of riches for speedrunners - again making you think out of the box when it comes to pulling off moves.

Only two things have disappointed me. Firstly, the final-final boss run lacked substance. I enjoyed the final boss, but after 3D World's final-final boss (climbing up a tower while cat Bowser swipes at you) I expected something equally as challenging. What we got was an incredibly cool scenario that I cleared comfortably on my first go. Though perhaps it is only designed to be played once anyway.

The other isn't really a big deal, just that sometimes you get the impression that the devs went overboard with the rewards. I love finding moons, and finding new ways to get them, but some of them do feel phoned in a little. But I understand that there needs to be some moons to help players progress if stuck.

Amazing game.

In the lost forest, any idea what to do here? I was sure that bringing this ennemy that shoot coin would do the trick, but nothing :

DNQfiQbU8AAGIgd.jpg

DNQfnfSUIAA5mH8.jpg

thanks

Travo

I’m certainly feeling this game. The open world was a bit of an adjustment at first but I love it now. Collecting moons felt off at first because there are so many. It sort of lessens the value. However, I do love how you can find them anywhere, encouraging exploration. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been sidetracked from the main mission because I’ve find another hidden area or secret or just out of reach area.
The bosses are fun, pure Mario gameplay and quite inventive at times. They are simply a blast. They only thing that seems to be lacking is the music. It’s not quite as epic or catchy as the Galaxy titles.
One interesting thing I’ve felt that the gameplay has been very reminiscent of the Banjo/Kazooie games with the transformations used as means of solving puzzles or just moving further.

Shifty

Man some of these post-game platforming challenges are really brutal. They really test your mastery of mario's moves.

Pro tip: Don't start them with a full coin pouch. It will be gone before you know it.

Did Zelda not have a chance cause you didn't like it or play it.

I both played it and liked it, but not nearly enough for it to be one of my GOTY contenders. Too much open-world genre influence for my tastes. Grinding for crafting parts, everything ultimately coming down to spirit orbs rewards-wise, somewhat simple main dungeons, etc.

Apologies if this has already been answered but, How do I change my outfit back to regular Mario?

There are closets in the shops and odyssey where you can choose what to wear.

I need to give it a few days but my initial impressions after beating the game and doing a little post game stuff are VERY positive. It's right up there with BOTW and TW3 for my favorite games in recent memory. Incredible experience, well done NIntendo.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
xxxxxxxx in post-game is so damn tough. Took me at least 50 tries before I finally nailed it. Having to do 20 consecutive dives without a mistake is brutal. I struggled far less on the other hat-less challenges in the same area (even the consecutive long jump one!)

WTF, were not spoiler tagging things anymore?

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I just defeated the final boss and I've got to say I'm a little bit disappointed in this game, it still hasn't clicked for me. Is the post game content worth doing or is it just more of the same?

I just defeated the final boss and I've got to say I'm a little bit disappointed in this game, it still hasn't clicked for me. Is the post game content worth doing or is it just more of the same?

It's the same stuff you've been doing but some of it can get fairly challenging in my opinion.

There are new worlds you have not been to yet, though.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
It's the same stuff you've been doing but some of it can get fairly challenging in my opinion.

There are new worlds you have not been to yet, though.

Hmmm... I'll keep going, I'm not just going to give up. As of right now though, I enjoyed 3D World and the Galaxy games quite a bit more.

Oh well, I'm glad other people are enjoying this game.

Zutrax

I noticed a neat little detail that I'm not sure how many people probably noticed, but Mario shivers if the weather is cold and he is wearing an outfit not fit for it. But he doesn't if you wear something that's suited for it.

Small Outfit/World Spoilers:
OgrdNXK.png

gCTouo9.png

Xtyle

Nice OT. I just got the game from Eshop today.
Which plays better (graphics and usability), portable or docked?

God damn I didn't know you could spoiler tag pictures haha.

Shifty

I noticed a neat little detail that I'm not sure how many people probably noticed, but Mario shivers if the weather is cold and he is wearing an outfit not fit for it. But he doesn't if you wear something that's suited for it.

Oh, neat. I wonder if this also applies to the hand-fanning animation that plays when you idle in hot worlds.

Zero83

I'm loving this game so far (I'm in New Donk City), but I'm not sure if it will beat Galaxy 1 & 2 for me. We'll see.

BOTW is still my GOTY.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
The game is good, but nothing spectacular.

I would say the best way to describe it is a casual walk in the park.

Yeah, I'm not as "wowed" as I thought I would be. Still a decent game though.

I'm loving this game so far (I'm in New Donk City), but I'm not sure if it will beat Galaxy 1 & 2 for me. We'll see.

BOTW is still my GOTY.

Yep. The only game that has the potential (IMO) to beat Zelda is Xenoblade 2.

BashNasty

Yeah, I'm not as "wowed" as I thought I would be. Still a decent game though.

The game really became special for me once I went back to the first couple of worlds and started trying to collect everything. The sheer amount of stuff hiding in the nooks and crannies is amazing, and trying to get it all can become quite challenging.

Additionally, the game really, really opens up once the credits roll. It's where the true Mario Odyssey starts. Finally, that video with the crazy jumping getting Mario all the way up to the tall tower with the coins posted halfway up this page is something everyone should strive to learn. Once I began to be able to move like that, the game became much, much more fun for me.

EraErr0r1

Odyssey has absolutely delivered to my incredibly high expectations. Sublime Controls, environments and ridiculously varied gameplay.

My only gripe is the enforced motion controls. They work very well when playing with split joy-cons but I prefer to use a pro controller. Having the option to map those gestures to buttons would be preferred and in all honesty expected.

I definitely fall under the adventure Mario fan category so Odyssey appeals more to me than people who are fans of the more linear titles.As such, at this point with my time with the game, I'd rate Odyssey higher than the galaxy's. That's no easy feat either. It's just that Odyssey's accommodates my playstyle better.

Finished the story like an hour or so ago. The last levels and such were something else man. Some quite funny wtf moments.

Cool place you end up in as well after the credits.

Top Bottom