• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros 4 DLC: 5 more characters spaces found in 3DS Files

RK128

Guess the following DLC will be this then:
-Mewtwo
-Lucas
-Roy
-Ryu
-Wolf
-Poll Winner and/or another 3rd Party Character (Snake, Simmon Belmont, Bomberman, Rayman, ect)

Seems likely, as they have the movesets for Roy and Wolf complete already, they just have to port them over into the Smash 4 engine, polish up their animations and presentation and bam, your done :). Besides, Roy would be a nice thing for Melee fans and Wolf would be a great character to release alongside the Wii U Star Fox game.

The last slot open will be for either the Poll Winner or another surprise 3rd party character; the former would be to honor the poll votes and will be released early 2016 while if the latter happens, will be someone either from Konami or Namco (the former would love to push Snake again while the latter worked on Smash 4, so another character like Klona or a Tales Of... character makes perfect sense).

RomanceDawn

Nintendo NX will launch with Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros 4 remastered at this rate haha. There's no way they'll be able to top these two games after all the DLC comes out.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen to be honest. Smash seems like it's going to be supported well into the next year. All this work is going towards Smash 6 which is this game but super deluxe.

Jagsrock

Banned
While the Inkling is among my personal favorites (third to Wonder Red & the Chorus Kids), I'm not sure she can beat King K. Rool at this rate. Plus I feel like Splatoon may be saved for Smash 5 on account of the recency of the IP. At least in the cases of Roy in Melee & the Yoshi's Woolly World level in Smash U, both were from established Nintendo franchises.

I think inkling could make it simply because it would be an excellent way to promote the new IP. Smash 5 probably won't even come around for another 4-5 years and it seems like smash 4 is gonna get supported for at least a whole nother year. Why not through inkling in now.

Neoxon

Nintendo NX will launch with Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros 4 remastered at this rate haha. There's no way they'll be able to top these two games after all the DLC comes out.
- Gameplay closer to Melee
- Custom Moves for the DLC characters from Smash 4 & any other DLC characters Smash 5 may add (if it's not rectified for Mewtwo soon)
- Better single-player (basically Adventure Mode from Melee)
- The return of the Ice Climbers (no longer bound to the restrictions of the 3DS)
- Better online with a proper Team Battle Mode (as in, timed, stocks, & Friendly Fire on), plus the use of Custom Moves against strangers
- The ability to create Custom Movesets in the Character Select Screen on the fly (think choosing your Assist in UMvC3)
- Every character, stage, & custom move unlocked from the start
- The ability to ban stages in the Stage Select Screen (see Project M)

There, I made a Smash game that can top Smash 4.

FSLink

Banned
- Mewtwo
- Lucas
- Roy
- Ryu
- Wolf
- Isaac

Bet on it.

Edit: Goddamn.. I forgot about my avatar, again. >.<

This is what I expect at a minimum. Maybe K. Rool instead of Isaac since he seems to be polling pretty well too. (Hoping for Isaac personally though)

I honestly wonder if Sakurai is leaving these things easy to access on purpose. its kind of smart if you think about it, look at all the buzz its been generating these days.

Also, is there anyone wanting DLC for Mario Kart 3DS? I'd buy it all. It seems to make too much sense for Nintendo not to do.. considering they only release one Mario Kart for each platform.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
btw there is more information in blog.

There’s additional stages incoming (up to 7). One of which is possibly a Kirby stage due to the number of new Kirby songs that were included. Possibly Dreamland from Super Smash 64.

TDLink

Cross post from the other thread:

If they added more character and stage slots now, they can always continue to add more later. I don't think that's an indication of any sort of maximum, only a minimum. Which means, we will get at least 6 DLC characters (including Mewtwo and Lucas) and 7 DLC stages (at least on 3DS). But we could still get more of either category down the line.

If the ballot is taken into consideration for characters I would bet that it is not included as one of these 6, as these 6 are probably already planned and will release this year.

If they're going for some sort of pattern with the 6, then Melee Vet/Brawl Vet/Newcomer makes a lot of sense. Mewtwo/Lucas/Ryu and Roy/Wolf/Someone else.

Clefargle

Given the BS over at Konami, I don't think Snake is ever coming back.
;_;
Stop, my heart.....

Through the Night, to the day
When everything is gone
Carry the soul away from the dryness

In the sun we see, fighting over lives
All our dreams and wishes
We send home for safe keeping
Fighting for what’s right

Calling to the night, to dream
Forgain in the light
Waiting for a storm to rise
Feel the isolation fleeting
Calling to the night, to be, or not to be fighting here
Leaving without you, leaving my soul behind
Calling to the night, corners of golden crown fade with time

Calling to the night, for us, for every single life
All the ashes of men remain as a perfect memory
Calling to the night

But the heart will remain, as a silhouette of time
Hear the ringing echoes in the splitting horizon
Calling to the night

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
While the Inkling is among my personal favorites (third to Wonder Red & the Chorus Kids), I'm not sure she can beat King K. Rool at this rate. Plus I feel like Splatoon may be saved for Smash 5 on account of the recency of the IP. At least in the cases of Roy in Melee & the Yoshi's Woolly World level in Smash U, both were from established Nintendo franchises.

Smash 5 could be half a decade away. I doubt Nintendo is going to wait until then before adding characters from newer IPs. The game already has a level from an unreleased title (Wooly World).

They want to keep adding to the game, keep generating revenue and interest in their franchises. I wouldn't be surprised if both MK8 and Smash 4 get DLC for the next couple of years.

ash_ag

- Gameplay closer to Melee
- Custom Moves for the DLC characters from Smash 4 & any other DLC characters Smash 5 may add (if it's not rectified for Mewtwo soon)
- Better single-player (basically Adventure Mode from Melee)
- The return of the Ice Climbers (no longer bound to the restrictions of the 3DS)
- Better online with a proper Team Battle Mode (as in, timed, stocks, & Friendly Fire on), plus the use of Custom Moves against strangers
- The ability to create Custom Movesets in the Character Select Screen on the fly (think choosing your Assist in UMvC3)
- Every character, stage, & custom move unlocked from the start
- The ability to ban stages in the Stage Select Screen (see Project M)

There, I made a Smash game that can top Smash 4.

This isn't a better game than Smash 4. Those are all trivial details or things that can be added to an "Ultra" version (or even a minor patch). :p

I have little doubt that next-gen we're getting a Smash 4+, if only because aside from the fact that it can't be improved a whole lot (at least as far as the current gameplay mechanics and basic content go), Sakurai invested so much time and energy on it, that I find it unlikely we will want to do anything more than maintenance moving forward. And it would also be a waste if Smash 4 wasn't given more time to shine considering how close to NX we are.

For that reason, I believe the Inklings are a priority of them. Sakurai has "complained" about lack of unique new characters in the past, and upon seeing Inklings, I'm sure he has some ideas he'll implement sooner rather than later.

ffdgh

I hope you realize that Banjo will never get in Smash. Too much legal bullshit involved, & Nintendo isn't gonna help a direct competitor promote one of their IPs.

C'mon you don't have to repeat this every single time. Let me dream damn it! >_>

Bluth54

6 DLC characters would be amazing.

Hopefully we get even more then 7 stages. Some new and lots of returning stages.

Neoxon

Smash 5 could be half a decade away. I doubt Nintendo is going to wait until then before adding characters from newer IPs. The game already has a level from an unreleased title (Wooly World).

They want to keep adding to the game, keep generating revenue and interest in their franchises. I wouldn't be surprised if both MK8 and Smash 4 get DLC for the next couple of years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 2nd DLC pack for MK8 the last one? Plus Sakurai said that he can't constantly add DLC characters to Smash, he has to stop eventually. Also, I mentioned the Wooly World level in my original post noting that it hails from the Yoshi series which, unlike Splatoon at the time this post was made, is an established franchise.

This isn't a better game than Smash 4. Those are all trivial details or things that can be added to an "Ultra" version or even a minor patch. :p

I have little doubt that next-gen we're getting a Smash 4+, if only because aside from the fact that it can't be improved a whole lot (at least as far as the current gameplay mechanics and basic content go), Sakurai invested so much time and energy on it, that I find it unlikely we will want to do anything more than maintenance moving forward. And it would also be a waste if Smash 4 wasn't given more time to shine considering how close to NX we are.

For that reason, I believe the Inklings are a priority of them. Sakurai has "complained" about lack of unique new characters in the past, and upon seeing Inklings, I'm sure he has some ideas he'll implement sooner rather than later.
Making the game play more like Melee would require an entire engine overhaul, so it's not something that can be done in a Smash 4+. Same for the online changes & the return of the Ice Climbers (the latter mainly being that Sakurai is most likely gonna stick with roster parity & it's gonna take a new game to step away from the shackles of the 3DS's power). Plus the NX is probably not gonna be released until 2017 at the earliest, that's plenty of time for Smash 4 to shine.

For the record though, I'm a tournament organizer for Smash 4 & an advocate for Custom Moves before they were legalized. While yes, Smash 4 is pulling good numbers, Melee still either equals Smash 4's entrants or surpasses it. And while yes, I do enjoy playing it, it's not exactly that fun to watch & at least at Aftershock, there was a tiny crowd watching Smash 4 & a big one watching Melee. That has to say something as far as the viewability of Smash 4 goes. Solution, make the game faster & more offensive.

Nightbird

I honestly wonder if Sakurai is leaving these things easy to access on purpose. its kind of smart if you think about it, look at all the buzz its been generating these days.

True, the Hype never went away because of this, even 5 Months after the launch of the second Version.

Marketing that generates itself!

Drago

Why dont they make new stages?
They probably are, the update data that had Ryu and Roy files also hinted at Dreamland 64 stage DLC for Smash 3DS. The game also sometimes defaults to Battlefield when fighting Kirby chars on 3DS Classic mode, which happens when the game tries to load up a stage that doesn't actually exist (Dreamland 64 in this case)

So yeah, probably happening

I wouldn't say that it doesn't mean anything. We know that they have five more characters in the planning stages, at least.
Well, it means something in the sense that they are planning at least five additional characters, but I know that people are going to jump to conclusions and assume that there are only five "slots" left.

Gleethor

Well, it means something in the sense that they are planning at least five additional characters, but I know that people are going to jump to conclusions and assume that there are only five "slots" left.

I mean, 6 DLC characters is pretty great and more than I ever thought we'd get to begin with. As long as people keep their expectations in check and don't expect any more than 6, we'll be fine.

I feel like these 6 dlc characters (Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Roy, Probably Wolf, and ???) are the characters currently in development, and then depending upon the poll results we'll see a second wave of DLC characters in 2016. Of course if the explanation is "only 2 left" and those 2 are being saved for the poll results... or wolf and the poll winner it'd be more disappointing but I really have a hard time seeing Nintendo letting the smash dlc train stop so soon.

ash_ag

Making the game play more like Melee would require an entire engine overhaul, so it's not something that can be done in a Smash 4+. Same for the online changes & the return of the Ice Climbers (the latter mainly being that Sakurai is most likely gonna stick with roster parity & it's gonna take a new game to step away from the shackles of the 3DS's power).

For the record though, I'm a tournament organizer for Smash 4 & an advocate for Custom Moves before they were legalized. While yes, Smash 4 is pulling good numbers, Melee still either equals Smash 4's entrants or surpasses it.

Smash 4+ being "more like Melee" is a respectable opinion, but ultimately it's not something many would necessarily see as improvement. To the team that made Smash 4, the game is an improvement over Melee. There's no reason why they couldn't have carbon copied it if they didn't think that.

For the record though, engine overhaul may be an overstatement. Many "ultimate versions" of fighting games include gameplay mechanics and style of previous entries alongside new ones. That doesn't mean this will happen with Smash 4 (if only because only a small minority would care), but it's more a matter of policy than anything else.

Do note that I'm not saying that the 3DS (or even Wii U) version should be updated to be on-par with whatever we get on NX somewhere down the line. That's why roster parity or even significantly updated mechanics aren't anything to worry about. My point is that the game doesn't need to be built from the ground up, because trying to get a better base game than Smash 4 is simply not worth the resources. They can add a single player story mode (à la SSE), new characters like Ice Climbers, new policies for customs to make them even more competitively viable (also a big fan :D), update UIs, and so on.

Neoxon

I feel like these 6 dlc characters (Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Roy, Probably Wolf, and ???) are the characters currently in development, and then depending upon the poll results we'll see a second wave of DLC characters in 2016. Of course if the explanation is "only 2 left" and those 2 are being saved for the poll results... or wolf and the poll winner it'd be more disappointing but I really have a hard time seeing Nintendo letting the smash dlc train stop so soon.
Sakurai said on Twitter at the start of the Smash DLC Hype Train that he could only make so many characters for Smash 4, he has to move on eventually. And if the NX is gonna come in 2017 (just an estimate, & assuming that the NX is a console), he would likely either want to get Smash 5 started to get it on the NX in a timely manner or prep his successor (should Sakurai choose to pass the torch) to take the reigns of Smash.

Neoxon

Smash 4+ being "more like Melee" is a respectable opinion, but ultimately it's not something many would necessarily see as improvement. To the team that made Smash 4, the game is an improvement over Melee. There's no reason why they couldn't have carbon copied it if they didn't think that.

For the record though, engine overhaul may be an overstatement. Many "ultimate versions" of fighting games include gameplay mechanics and style of previous entries alongside new ones. That doesn't mean this will happen with Smash 4 (if only because only a small minority would care), but it's more a matter of policy than anything else.

Do note that I'm not saying that the 3DS (or even Wii U) version should be updated to be on-par with whatever we get on NX somewhere down the line. That's why roster parity or even significantly updated mechanics aren't anything to worry about. My point is that the game doesn't need to be built from the ground up, because trying to get a better base game than Smash 4 is simply not worth the resources. They can add a single player story mode (à la SSE), new characters like Ice Climbers, new policies of customs to make them even more competitively viable (also a big fan :D), update UIs, and so on.
- Actually, Sakurai dumbed down the mechanics in Brawl because he thought Melee was too difficult for casuals (which couldn't be farther from the truth since it was easy for newcomers to get into, but deep enough for the competitive scene to dig into). Smash 4 was what Sakurai believed as meeting us half-way. While it's a damn good game, its mechanics still fall a bit short to Melee. This can be shown in the participation in Smash 4 tournaments vs. that of Melee's tournaments. I say this as a hardcore fan of both games.

- I should know, I played both MvC3 & UMvC3 competitively (same for the SF4 games, but I wasn't as hardcore into them as I was for Mahvel). The changes required to make the game more like Melee would require a ton of engine changes which might as well be saved for a new game entirely.

- So what you're suggesting is an "Ultimate Smash 4", I thought you meant for Smash 5 to be basically Smash 4+.\

Also, I'm glad to see you're a fan of custom moves as well. It's great to see them legalized in more tournaments.

J@hranimo

Banned
Sakurai says a lot of things.

When this is all set and done he needs to be forcibly placed on house arrest so he can rest with his wife and cat.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the DLC pack for MK8 the last one?

It's the last announced one but why wouldn't they make more? It's easy money that doesn't require the development resources of a full game.

Mario Kart and Smash are titles that people will play for an entire generation, you may as well make some money off those players. Going forward I'm sure all Nintendo's big multiplayer games will have robust DLC plans, why limit your revenue to one $60 hit every 3 or 4 years when you can have that plus an extra $15 every few months?

Sakurai said on Twitter at the start of the Smash DLC Hype Train that he could only make so many characters for Smash 4, he has to move on eventually. And if the NX is gonna come in 2017 (just an estimate, & assuming that the NX is a console), he would likely either want to get Smash 5 started to get it on the NX in a timely manner or prep his successor (should Sakurai choose to pass the torch) to take the reigns of Smash.

There is no way that Smash 5 is ready for the NX by 2017, even if the NX is a console replacing the WiiU in 2017 Smash for it would at best be ready by 2018 but probably not 2019. Besides with how well Smash sold on 3DS they're not going to make Smash JUST for the NX unless it's a hybrid console and handheld they'll probably wait for both next gen systems to be out.

- Actually, Sakurai dumbed down the mechanics in Brawl because he thought Melee was too difficult for casuals (which couldn't be farther from the truth since it was easy for newcomers to get into, but deep enough for the competitive scene to dig into). Smash 4 was what Sakurai believed as meeting us half-way. While it's a damn good game, its mechanics still fall a bit short to Melee. This can be shown in the participation in Smash 4 tournaments vs. that of Melee's tournaments. I say this as a hardcore fan of both games.

- I should know, I played both MvC3 & UMvC3 competitively (same for the SF4 games, but I wasn't as hardcore into them as I was for Mahvel). The changes required to make the game more like Melee would require a ton of engine changes which might as well be saved for a new game entirely.

- So what you're suggesting is an "Ultimate Smash 4", I thought you meant for Smash 5 to be basically Smash 4+.\

Also, I'm glad to see you're a fan of custom moves as well. It's great to see them legalized in more tournaments.

Yeah but again, and whether they were in the past is irrelevant, that scene that plays the game is not the primary target audience.

Top Bottom