• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

The least they could have done was remove the chant.

If it only appears under those conditions, it's so circumstantial that it comes off more like an easter egg. I find this extremely cool for some reason. Ghosts be demandin' what could have been.

Ryce

Your understanding of the development of Smash is altogether wrong.
Sakurai's role has been the same for all the Smash Bros. games. The staff is larger to accommodate development on two (technically complex) platforms, but he's still the sole creative director. Your post implied that he's already started to take a backseat, but that is most certainly not the case. He's just as hands-on and active as he's ever been.

Jawmuncher

The 3DS XL isn't glossy on the inside right?
I have sweaty hands when playing anything and I realized playing on my old 3DS that will affect me.

npa189

Any word on how local lobbies work yet? is it limited to just 4 clients? I thought it would be really awesome if it could do a loser drops out, but can still view the match and it would rotate people in accordingly.

Timeaisis

I've heard people claiming that it's Mega Man.

that's OK with me, it will be more fun to beat them with the underdog.

People that don't know what they are doing say Megaman. Granted, he was kind of weird at first, but after playing him for about an hour or so you can see his potentials.

I think people assume that having bad specials = bad character, which cannot be further from the truth. Megaman's air game is insane. His ground game is pretty risk/reward with some really strong moves (down smash) with huge lag. He lacks a regular forward titl, but his pellets put the pressure on pretty well. His up tilt is a great combo starter if you can pull it off. His up-b, while doing no damage is a great way to follow an opponent upwards to land some mid-air combos (combined with uair if they are offscreen or near offscreen is especially effective).

I dunno, Megaman has iffy specials but the character himself is pretty great. And that meteor smash. After years of playing smash, I think it's my favorite in the series. Of course, I haven't played the full game yet.

Sakurai's role in making these new games hasn't changed since Brawl. The staff is larger to accommodate development on two platforms, but he's still the sole creative director. Your post implied that he's already started to take a backseat, but that is most certainly not the case.

His role has gotten smaller and that is a fact. His role is still large, but it was smaller in Brawl and smaller again in Smash 4. Over the development of the past two games he has built teams to do what he used to do alone, he still does all his directorial duties but he works with more people on the actual design side now instead of doing it alone.

If Sakurai had quit after Melee the Smash series would have been built around the design work of one man and anyone coming in at that point would have a hell of a hard time, but since Brawl and even more so with Smash 4 the series is designed more like any other video game and a new director would have a better base to work with, comparable to the many other directors and Nintendo that shift around.

Neiteio

Yeah, they're about the same size as Bowser Jr.'s
58g7J0O.png
Whoa! How did you get that render??

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nah, some characters are good even before you put in work.

Well what I mean is you put a lot of effort into a character and they can be awesome. It's just a lot easier with say Marth then Ganondorf.

With Megaman it's more using your technical moves to get an edge over people.

Ryce

His role has gotten smaller and that is a fact. His role is still large, but it was smaller in Brawl and smaller again in Smash 4. Over the development of the past two games he has built teams to do what he used to do alone, he still does all his directorial duties but he works with more people on the actual design side now instead of doing it alone.
SSB - Drafted the project plan document by himself, decided what content (characters/stages/items/modes/everything else) would be in the game, designed each moveset himself, oversaw development, had final say on everything, etc.

Melee - Drafted the project plan document by himself, decided what content (characters/stages/items/modes/everything else) would be in the game, designed each moveset himself, oversaw development, had final say on everything, etc.

Brawl - Drafted the project plan document by himself, decided what content (characters/stages/items/modes/everything else) would be in the game, designed each moveset himself, oversaw development, had final say on everything, etc.

3DS/Wii U - Drafted the project plan document by himself, decided what content (characters/stages/items/modes/everything else) would be in the game, designed each moveset himself, oversaw development, had final say on everything, etc.

I'm not exactly seeing his role diminishing.

As game development gets increasing complex, the staff gets larger. That's natural. But that doesn't take away from Sakurai's role and individual accomplishments.

SSB - Drafted the project plan document by himself, decided what content (characters/stages/items/modes/everything else) would be in the game, designed each moveset himself, oversaw development, had final say on everything, etc.

Melee - Drafted the project plan document by himself, decided what content (characters/stages/items/modes/everything else) would be in the game, designed each moveset himself, oversaw development, had final say on everything, etc.

Brawl - Drafted the project plan document by himself, decided what content (characters/stages/items/modes/everything else) would be in the game, designed each moveset himself, oversaw development, had final say on everything, etc.

3DS/Wii U - Drafted the project plan document by himself, decided what content (characters/stages/items/modes/everything else) would be in the game, designed each moveset himself, oversaw development, had final say on everything, etc.

As game development gets increasing complex, the staff gets larger. That's natural. But that doesn't take away from Sakurai's role and individual accomplishments.

You got a source on that?
I'm not trying to downplay Sakurai's role, but to claim that he is the sole person behind everything to do with Smash is insulting to the tons of planners, designers and so on that do work on these games.

Edit: on checking, you guys are actually linking to something other than what I thought. There's another video going around that claims the "murabito" chant is "nana! popo!" but this one is way more clear and I don't think this one's being misheard. My bad.

ffdgh

It probably is saying villager's jp name but...it sounds like the female crowd is saying Nana and the male crowd is saying Popo. :'(

daxgame

I haven't seen any proof of this. If anything, Sakurai himself said that things that he used to do alone aren't done by him alone now. It doesn't mean he's less busy, but he definitely has different tasks now.

Zomba13

I keep hearing "Murabito! Murabito!" myself. :x

I here females chanting "Na Na" and Males shouting "Po Po". Could be something else but sounds like they just repeat the same syllable. I dunno how you pronounce Murabito though (not well versed on Japanese pronunciation) but it looks like, "Mu Ra Bee To" and It seems weird to me to split a single word between two groups. Like females saying "BOW" and males saying "SER". It just seems weird (then again I don't know what exactly Murabito means so it could make perfect sense. Like could be "Town person" instead of "Villager").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom