• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

Yeah if that's your preference that's fine and I understand. But some people post it's inferior like its a fact.
Man, I always want to avatar quote you when we're talking about versions/controls. :p

But I do see what you mean, and I'm guilty of it pretty often.
And in the end the only DLC Smash got was more items.
Crossing my fingers. That would be great. Even more ignorable than extra costumes.

So, importers, how varied is the Mii Fighter customization? I haven't seen a list of all the costumes, but a few pics I saw looked pretty neat like that Woody one with the cowboy outfit.

Not particularly varied. For those curious, here's an outfit list:

Brawler:
Martial Artist's Uniform (Ryu/Ken sort of deal)
Kenpo Gi (Kinda Game of Death-esque)
Default Outfit
Powered Suit (Robotic exoskeleton, metal claws)
Protector Suit (Lots of padding, kinda like a football uniform)
Demon's Clothes (Fancy coat with lil wings on the back)
Rider Suit (Jacket, jeans, gloves with spike knuckles)

Swordfighter:
Pirate's Clothes (Piratey coat, cutlass)
Cyber Suit (Kinda Dead Space-ish armor, blue lasery sword)
Ninja's Clothes (Complete with scarf and ninjato)
Default Outfit
Neon Suit (Tron-esque, shiny laser sword)
Warrior's Armor (Samurai armor, katana)
Royal Armor (European-style armor, broadsword)

Gunner:
Western Clothes (Cowboy-ish, weird elongated six-shooter type thing)
Cocktail Suit (Suit, Other M-like arm cannon)
Steampunk Clothes (uh fuck how do i even describe steampunk stuff)
Dragon Armor (Really gaudy dragon-scale armor, dragon head arm cannon)
Default Outfit
Heavy Armor (Thick metallic padding, sorta Mega Buster like cannon)
Sorcerer's Clothes (Hooded robe, magic-y wooden arm cannon)

It's really not all that many, and a lot of more standard outfit types are missing.

Man, I always want to avatar quote you when we're talking about versions/controls. :p

But I do see what you mean, and I'm guilty of it pretty often.

Crossing my fingers. That would be great. Even more ignorable than extra costumes.
Lol I've only been avatar quoted twice I think. I just realized I don't think I have you on any of my friend lists. You got room for one more?

emb

Lol I've only been avatar quoted twice I think. I just realized I don't think I have you on any of my friend lists. You got room for one more?
I do, but I'm gonna get another 3DS (probably 2DS technically) just as a Smash controller. So I couldn't tell you yet what my friend code will be for Smash.

shaowebb

Brawler:
Default Outfit

Swordfighter:
Default Outfit

Gunner:
Default Outfit

It's really not all that many, and a lot of more standard outfit types are missing.

Just skyrocketed Mii Fighter on my list with Rider Suit. Love me some Kamen Rider and I have always loved the biker leather coats. Gonna play this.

Molemitts

If there's no item frequency choice, and you only have 1 or 2 items selected to appear, will the appear proportionately, or will I just have a load of those few items appearing? If you understand my question.

Dimmle

It's not entirely that it's uncomfortable, it's just that it doesn't feel very good. It's not broken or unplayable. For the system it's on, it's completely serviceable and it works. My point is more that, if you don't mind waiting and you don't need mobile smash, you are totally better off waiting. For everything other than being able to take it anywhere you want, 3DS will be the inferior version. After waiting so long to play smash, playing the 3DS version wasn't satisfying, despite the game itself being really good. Even if I had bought the 3DS version, I'd still feel like I didn't really have "Smash" yet.

I could see a grip going a long way to making it better, but the screen, resolution, and just overall presentation leaves so much to be desired, in my opinion. I'm a maximizer though, I want the best I can get. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, just from my experience with the demo I concur with these impressions. It's not nearly as satisfying as a console version with a suitable interface. The only reason I'm double dipping is to play with a group of friends a few months earlier. Smash Day is November 21st.

emb

Sounds like a 3DS bottleneck.

No biggy though.
"Item frequencies were running in the Wii U version, but due to the required hardware power, the team couldn’t make them work in the 3DS game."

Oh, and here's a summary of stuff from the past week if anyone hasn't been paying attention (well, aside from tournaments. Not sure why Zero vs Otori is mentioned).

ffdgh

so uh

has anyone posted that evidently you can't control the rate of items spawning on 3DS other than turning them On/Off?

fuWz098.png

Did we know this already? I just found out on Reddit. Kind of lame. My friends and I like to play with items on Low from time to time. :/

That's a bummer....

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
so uh

has anyone posted that evidently you can't control the rate of items spawning on 3DS other than turning them On/Off?

fuWz098.png

Did we know this already? I just found out on Reddit. Kind of lame. My friends and I like to play with items on Low from time to time. :/
Where is this screenshot from? (probably the recent Treehouse stream) Can we confirm that the JP release has limited items?

Golnei

So, not even an option for low or normal then?

Don't tell me that low is a bottleneck too.

Perhaps they felt that the absence of a "high" setting would draw too much attention to the 3DS' lack of power. Though just a 'lowered' and 'standard' option shouldn't have looked too bad, if the Wii U version's settings used their normal names...

The more I see Little Mac the more I feel like he actually captures the spirit of being in a boxing match. He seems like a character that you should not be reckless with. Proper footwork (spacing in this case), a sharp mind and dodging maneuvers are key. A character where you absolutely do not want to get hit as. The stage is the ring, going off stage is a down you can't afford.

Exaggerating obviously and not being exactly specific here, but as a boxer myself, I'm exited to try him out.

LAA

Anyone know the benefits to playing SSB on new 3DS?

I know know you can use stuff like miiverse, Internet browser in background, guessing it closes without rebooting 3DS and extra circle pad support, but is there any in game pluses?

Brawler:
Default Outfit

Swordfighter:
Default Outfit

Gunner:
Default Outfit

My Mii can be a Samurai?! YEAH!

Alfredo

Looks like I'll probably be playing with Items Off on the 3DS, for the most part. I liked turning off certain items and them putting the spawn rate on low.

In the demo, items seemed to spawn too frequently. I'm hoping that turning certain items off will make it a little more bearable for me, but I guess I'll find out soon.

PokéKong

I feel like item frequency is definitely something we can hope for patching in. This ain't the Brawl age where we just gotta take what we get from Nintendo, games like Pikmin and Mario Kart are getting new content and features and small fixes to their design nearly a year after release.

DaBoss

Uhh, a 100-hour stream does not mean Zero himself will stream for 100 hours. They are going to cycle between people. I know you will see Vex at times playing. I think others appear as well, but I haven't seen anyone else in a while.

Blizzard

Banned
These 3DS technical limitations are really bumming me out. I mean, I hope the Wii U version still has the frequency switch, and maybe even a toggle for which Pokemon/Assists can be summoned, but I'm honestly beginning to doubt it.
Are you beginning to doubt the frequency switch is there, when it was there at E3 in the Wii U version? Why would they remove that after publicly demonstrating it in a tournament? :p

Kodeman

Has anyone else tried local, 4 player matches yet? Some co-workers and I got codes and tried to have a play session but the lag was unbearable. All our consoles were updated, and we were sitting within a few feet of each other. We even rotated hosts to no avail.

Has anyone been covering this? We were all planning on picking this up day1, but now we're pretty hesitant. That type of multiplayer functionality isn't something that should change from the demo to final release, and as it stands it's unplayable.

SuperSah

Banned
The more I see Little Mac the more I feel like he actually captures the spirit of being in a boxing match. He seems like a character that you should not be reckless with. Proper footwork (spacing in this case), a sharp mind and dodging maneuvers are key. A character where you absolutely do not want to get hit as. The stage is the ring, going off stage is a down you can't afford.

Exaggerating obviously and not being exactly specific here, but as a boxer myself, I'm exited to try him out.

He's very good if you know how to work with him. I played him at an event and he's fantastic fun.

But yeah, once he's off stage, he's done for.

Hatchtag

Banned
Sonic with equipment granting him +169 speed and a Smash Run item that ups his Smash Run speed stat to 1000 for a short period of time.
I went fast.
I went damn fast.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
so uh

fuWz098.png

Dat 3DS limitation :p

Yeah, it suck that we can't control the amount of items but I'm okay with that tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom