• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this theme. I would party to this, not cheesy

i mean it in the best way

so the F-Zero AX deluxe cabinet has these loud as fuck speakers pointed directly at the seat, and if you get first place in a race it plays your character's theme music. Immediately after realizing this, I switched to Golden Fox and basked in the music blaring right behind me and it was incredible.

my love for it is totally unironic

Zubz

Banned
i mean it in the best way

so the F-Zero AX deluxe cabinet has these loud as fuck speakers pointed directly at the seat, and if you get first place in a race it plays your character's theme music. Immediately after realizing this, I switched to Golden Fox and basked in the music blaring right behind me and it was incredible.

my love for it is totally unironic

That's amazing. I hope you, like, fist-pumped, or started yelling motivational advice to anyone watching you.

Gah. I need to find an AX cabinet.

Oh wow, half of Charizard's customs are actually from Pokemon. That's really cool, didn't expect Fire Fang or Head Butt

Pikachu actually gets Thundershock finally (neutral-special)... that's his only Pokemon inspired move.

One of Greninja's is apparently called "Protean Shuriken" but doesn't appear to really relate to the ability at all

Lucario has jack related to Pokemon.

Jiggs gets Hyper Voice by name, but Double Slap under another name ("Slap Alot")

...seems like such wasted potential to not fill the Pokemon with moves based on their own game. No Fire Blast is incredibly disappointing. Wake Up slap would have been interesting if it did more damage to sleeping enemies. No Thunderbolt either :(

Neiteio

Oh wow, half of Charizard's customs are actually from Pokemon. That's really cool, didn't expect Fire Fang or Head Butt

Pikachu actually gets Thundershock finally (neutral-special)... that's his only Pokemon inspired move.

One of Greninja's is apparently called "Protean Shuriken" but doesn't appear to really relate to the ability at all

Lucario has jack related to Pokemon.

Jiggs gets Hyper Voice by name, but Double Slap under another name ("Slap Alot")

...seems like such wasted potential to not fill the Pokemon with moves based on their own game. No Fire Blast is incredibly disappointing. Wake Up slap would have been interesting if it did more damage to sleeping enemies.
Did the English names leak somewhere? And if so, what are the official English names of Bowser's customs?

Clefargle

From what I've seen, she got a huge buff from Brawl to 4 because of the new changes. She hits hard, moves fast and keeps it stylish.

Speaking of, her customs sound amazing based on that text dump that was linked earlier in the thread. I'm going to start posting builds soon a la Pokemon Showdown movesets.

I played her twice at the bestbuy events and she seems to have more "ooooph" in almost every area besides her over-b whip. That move was neerfed quite a bit, so I had to find other means of K.O.. But I won my matches so she is off to a good start in my book.

Thorakai

It would be great to see custom moves expanded in the future to be more like Palutena and Mii Fighters where you can actually choose from different moves as opposed to modifying traits of existing stuff.

Did the English names leak somewhere? And if so, what are the official English names of Bowser's customs?

I'm just going from Serebii's info. I figure if a move matched the name of a Japanese Pokemon Move, he would know and say as much.

I'm thinking NOA will make it Double Slap, since it's a more fitting name for the move than Double Slap's Japanese name, "Round Trip Slap"

That's amazing. I hope you, like, fist-pumped, or started yelling motivational advice to anyone watching you.

I think I immediately ran over to one of my buddies and tried to tell him about how fucking awesome this videogame was and probably looked like a babbling idiot because he didn't even play games.

I was just REALLY STOKED to have found an AX cabinet lol

...seems like such wasted potential to not fill the Pokemon with moves based on their own game. No Fire Blast is incredibly disappointing.

Charizard at least has Fire Blast during its Mega Evolution, kanji and all.

Charizard at least has Fire Blast during its Mega Evolution, kanji and all.

The Fire Ball custom could have been Ember/Overheat pretty easily without even changing the move at all.

"Flying Rock Throw" could have been Rock Slide. Again, no change to the actual move. Rock Throw is a Pokemon move, but Charizard can't learn it.

"Wind Up" would work well as Air Slash, since he literally slashes the enemy while in the fly motion.

Just name his last special Aerial Ace and ignore that it doesn't do damage... Charizard doesn't learn a heck of a lot of flying moves.

There, every one of Charizard's customs would be named after a Pokemon move with no difference at all to the mechanics.

emb

Sky always makes such entertaining videos. That jab at shofu was hilarious.
Some of the points felt like they were kinda reaching, but the shots at Shofu and Nairo were pretty entertaining, especially in his up beat tone.

I like what I'm hearing though. Sounds like Falcon is a lot better overall. Which is good. Everyone was hoping for it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Some of the points felt like they were kinda reaching, but the shots at Shofu and Nairo were pretty entertaining, especially in his up beat tone.

I like what I'm hearing though. Sounds like Falcon is a lot better overall. Which is good. Everyone was hoping for it.

Considering what he says about LoL balance and tiers I would take this video with a grain of salt as well. I do however, like the format of these videos and hope he continues to make more like them.\

Why wouldn't you just stay out of the tournament so others can have a good time?

Some people just want to watch the (smash) world burn.

So the cut Pokemon seem to be
Bonsly
Celebii
Chikorita
Groudon
Gulpin
Ho-oh
Jirachi
Manaphy
Munchlax
Piplup
Torchic
Weavile
Wobuffet

Those are some deep cuts.

Wobuffet and Groudon will be missed. Wobuffet had been a staple of the Smash series and Groudon was a cool Pokeball Pokemon and just a cool Pokemon in general.

Oshawott also continues the proud tradition of replacing a functionally identical Water Pokemon. First Marril dies to Piplup and now Piplup dies to Oshawott.

Mew, Goldeen and Snorlax are the only Pokemon to have perfect attendance, although Staryu is functionally identical to Starmie, Togepi to Clefairy and obviously Charizard kind of got the better deal. So maybe those three sort of count too, as their function was carried over. Electrode went from stage hazard to perfect attendance Pokeball, so he probably counts too. Moltres was in the background of Saffron City, him counting for perfect attendance is iffy...

Also dumb me was reading the Smash 4 Pokemon list and saw Chespin and Fennekin and got kind of annoyed there was no Froakie and... then it hit me and I felt really stupid.

Jawmuncher

Bonsly
Celebii
Chikorita
Groudon
Gulpin
Ho-oh
Jirachi
Manaphy
Munchlax
Piplup
Torchic
Weavile
Wobuffet

Wobuffet and Groudon will be missed. Wobuffet had been a staple of the Smash series and Groudon was a cool Pokeball Pokemon and just a cool Pokemon in general.

Oshawott also continues the proud tradition of replacing a functionally identical Water Pokemon. First Marril dies to Piplup and now Piplup dies to Oshawott.

Mew, Goldeen and Snorlax are the only Pokemon to have perfect attendance, although Staryu is functionally identical to Starmie, Togepi to Clefairy and obviously Charizard kind of got the better deal. So maybe those three sort of count too, as their function was carried over. Electrode went from stage hazard to perfect attendance Pokeball, so he probably counts too. Moltres was in the background of Saffron City, him counting for perfect attendance is iffy...

A staple but not exactly liked.
He was such a troll pokemon.

-Horizon-

Bonsly
Celebii
Chikorita
Groudon
Gulpin
Ho-oh
Jirachi
Manaphy
Munchlax
Piplup
Torchic
Weavile
Wobuffet

Also dumb me was reading the Smash 4 Pokemon list and saw Chespin and Fennekin and got kind of annoyed there was no Froakie and... then it hit me and I felt really stupid.

Gonna miss Bonsly, Groudon, Gulpin, Ho-Oh (maybe), and Weavile. Boooo!

Hatchtag

Banned
Donno how many of you were watching Makai's stream, but uh yeah. That equipment really is broken lol. Especially if an attack is multihit-like Link's Up Smash, or Shulk's side Smash. Then you have increased chances to score a crit.

georly

Bonsly
Celebii
Chikorita
Groudon
Gulpin
Ho-oh
Jirachi
Manaphy
Munchlax
Piplup
Torchic
Weavile
Wobuffet

Were any of those in the smash greninja trailer? If so, hopefully that means they get more than trophy treatment in wii u. Maybe they're a part of the 2nd pokemon stage, if one exists.

It feels like people think Meta Knight is worse than he really is because they keep subconsciously comparing him to the broken Brawl version.

Ho-oh and Entei always felt redundant to me. They're functionally identical, I think Ho-Oh was just more powerful. I never like Pokemon pairs split up, which is why I don't like that Groudon was cut, especially since I always consider Kyogre and Groudon to be the most well known and important Pokemon rivalry. It was basically the entire plot of the game.

Seems they really like Suicine, as they went out of their way to make him different from Abomisnow instead of just cutting him and letting Entei represent Gold and Silver.

Another game and the Regi 3/4 are not represented in any fashion... Might I note the only trio of legendaries not represented in any Smash bros game (the Pixies were Spear Pillar background objects). Not even as trophies...

With all the Gen 1 stuff Pokemon company loves throwing around, I would have liked Blastoise and Venusaur to return since they're no longer repped by playable characters.

Sakurai hates Rock Type Pokemon since Onix's mysterious disappearance from the series.

Every generation is repped pretty well though, even distribution between generations, although a little 5 heavy for legendaries, but 5 was heavy on legends as a game, so that makes sense.

ffdgh

*snip*

Bonsly: Good riddance
Celebii: Disappointing
Chikorita: Disappointing
Groudon: Meh
Gulpin: Good riddance
Ho-oh: WHY
Jirachi: Disappointing
Manaphy: Too rare to care
Munchlax: Will definitely not be missed most of all.
Piplup: Whatever
Torchic: Whatever
Weavile: Indifferent
Wobuffet: Disappointing

Looks like they got rid of the more useless pokemon so that's good. Ho-oh being gone tho is baffling when lugia is in.

It's kind of funny to me to hear people say that the item spawn rate it too high. Y'all clearly didn't play with items set to very high like I did. To me, the spawn rate feels just about right - I'd even like to see a few more items, to be honest.

Bonsly
Gulpin

These are the only two I'll really miss. Gulpin was great because you could rack up a ton of damage on someone who got swallowed. As Luigi I could regularly hit 2-3 Super Jump Punches on a trapped opponent. As for Bonsly...man, what an adorably deadly projectile. I got so many kills with that little guy. Too bad he got replaced by Villager's down special lol.

As for Munchlax, good riddance. All he ever did was eat the good items and mess up my plans. He was the Nintendog of Pokeballs.

Zubz

Banned
Bonsly: Good riddance
Celebii: Disappointing
Chikorita: Disappointing
Groudon: Meh
Gulpin: Good riddance
Ho-oh: WHY
Jirachi: Disappointing
Manaphy: Too rare to care
Munchlax: Will definitely not be missed most of all.
Piplup: Whatever
Torchic: Whatever
Weavile: Indifferent
Wobuffet: Disappointing

Looks like they got rid of the more useless pokemon so that's good. Ho-oh being gone tho is baffling when lugia is in.

I'm in a similar boat, except I wanted Manaphy to come back, just at an appearance rate where you encounter one more than once every 5 years. And I kinda liked Gulpin and Groudon; why couldn't it be the Latis who went? I'm half-hoping there's Pokeball DLC, and it brings back from from Melee, too; I'm still not over how Brawl didn't have a swarm Pokemon like Beedrill or Unown, even if Cuccoos now kinda do that as items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom