• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

To be fair, if bishonen type characters weren't popular in Japan, we wouldn't see so many of them in basically any media of Japanese origin.

Bishonen is just one subset of their media.

There's still JoJo.

tumblr_static_4wztn6n9cg84wcgs4ggc8sg88.png

Also, Ike was actually pretty popular in Japanese character polls and such, even after Awakening came out.

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought they would have the Japanese release be two weeks after and focus on getting Smash and Amiibos out in the US earlier where they'll be more effective.

I think they'll do what they did with 3D World last year and have the Japanese release in December, a few weeks after the West.

WTF!?

Nintendo would stop being nintendo if that happened. Nintendo normally releases games that dont need patches (i know that there was exceptions like skyward sword for example, where it was possible to put yourself in a situation were you wouldnt be able to advance in the game. Still, it was just a particular problem). Dont get me wrong, theres allways lots of glitches to be found in nintendo games, but it doesnt make any sense to even consider the possibily of nintendo releasing a "broken mess". Their games never are. They are not going to forget about their "nintendo quality". Also, they know that part of their users dont even have the console connectec to the internet (!! :O but its true), so they are not going to release a game that needs a patch/es. Still, people are going to find glitches in smash bros games over time, lots of them probably (like allways).

Like you can see i dont have experience with games that need "day one patches" because i have not lived that "generation" at all (i mean that i havent bought any game with those problems). I am used to games that you can play (beat) without having problem with glitches. I wouldnt accept something that is not a "polished" game.

I am serious. I dont want to know nothing about games that run like Donkey kong 64 ever again!! (i was a poor kid that didnt deserve that). :p the nintendo 64...

I believe Tomodachi Life have a day one patch, at least in America (the same sex relationships glitch was breaking the game or something,) and Pokemon X/Y probably should have had a day-one patch. By your standards, I'd say "Nintendo stopped being Nintendo" as soon as patches were possible on its games.

From a pure "fun" standpoint, I'd rank Mii Fighters rather high. All three variants look really satisfying to use. The gunner has crazy range, the brawler can pivot in the air with drop-kicks, and the swordfighter's projectiles look suitably ninja-like. :)

And I actually like their designs, something I didn't think I'd say about Miis. They put some serious work into the bodies and the customizable outfits. Along with the general HD polish, they look great. :)
Yeah, surprisingly the jump to HD has done quite a bit for the Miis. In Nintendoland, they actually looked pretty great and was the first time the idea of them in Smash seemed alright.

Yes, Kotaku did find a few posters on a webform that bitched about something in a video game and then used that to make a generalization about an entire country's taste.

Seriously, what they did was like coming to this thread and picking out only the negative comments, then saying

"NEOGAF HATES ROSALINDA"
Pretty much. It was cherry picking random comments (of which not all of them were actually even negative) to make a story.

SmithnCo

Yes, Kotaku did find a few posters on a webform that bitched about something in a video game and then used that to make a generalization about an entire country's taste.

Seriously, what they did was like coming to this thread and picking out only the negative comments, then saying

"NEOGAF HATES ROSALINDA"

Yeah, those Kotaku articles are basically worthless and lazy. But then, so are most Kotaku articles.

For real. If they ever make a Nintendo vs Capcom-esque fighter, they need to have that graphics style.

Take Tatsunoko vs. Capcom give it to Hexadrive (Okami HD, Wind Waker HD) only license the six Gatchaman and Time Bokan characters so you only need to license two series. Cut out Capcom's giant character, PN-X, to match the other side. Then add six Nintendo characters (Link, Samus, etc.).

Nintendo vs. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

The Japanese Little Mac complainers are pretty much a minority of salty people that thinks only characters they wish for should be in. It's the eastern equivalent of people getting mad at too many "blue haired anime swordsmen" from a game they didn't play.

This.

I believe Tomodachi Life have a day one patch, at least in America (the same sex relationships glitch was breaking the game or something,) and Pokemon X/Y probably should have had a day-one patch. By your standards, I'd say "Nintendo stopped being Nintendo" as soon as patches were possible on its games.

Plenty of Nintendo games have had patches recently to fix bugs and add features. I'm sure Nintendo wants this out for the holidays so (and maybe needs, what with the Amiibo launch), so while they will do their best, worst comes to worst they'll probably release what they have and patch later.

Toxi

Banned
The Japanese Little Mac complainers are pretty much a minority of salty people that thinks only characters they wish for should be in. It's the eastern equivalent of people getting mad at too many "blue haired anime swordsmen" from a game they didn't play.
Too many blue-haired anime swordsman is more a complaint about character diversity than anything else. They were cool with Robin.
They also want Monster Hunter. I mean Japan knows what they like.
As an American, I'd rather have Monster Hunter than Mega Man.

I know I'm terrible.

NeonZ

Thinking about it, I think Dark Pit as a boss is very unlikely. Palutena's arena is too big so the boss mechanic (destroy the boss and hurt others with his explosion) doesn't seem like it'd work well there.

Palutena's stage also is only in the Wii U version, so it'd be odd to tease him in a general trailer like that if he weren't in the 3ds version.

Take Tatsunoko vs. Capcom give it to Hexadrive (Okami HD, Wind Waker HD) only license the six Gatchaman and Time Bokan characters so you only need to license two series. Cut out Capcom's giant character, PN-X, to match the other side. Then add six Nintendo characters (Link, Samus, etc.).

Nintendo vs. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.
Honestly, I'll pretty much take "Nintendo vs." whoever. I just want Nintendo characters in a traditional 2D fighter; Soul Calibur 2 spoiled me.

Bishonen is just one subset of their media.

There's still JoJo.

While JoJo is incredibly popular, it's not the norm. Most media features bishonen-type characters. Even a lot of their male pop musicians are of that kind of appearance type. And this preference is deeply rooted in Eastern Asian culture - it's a very similar picture in Korea and China as well. Their interpretation of beauty is simply different from ours, which is why androgynous characters are so popular in Japanese media.

Plenty of Nintendo games have had patches recently to fix bugs and add features. I'm sure Nintendo wants this out for the holidays so (and maybes needs, what with the Amiibo launch), so while they will do their best, worst comes to worst they'll probably release what they have and patch later.

To be fair, however, most of those bugs were not that major. Stuff like the Wuhu Mountain shortcut in Mario Kart 7 and such. Their products always are generally bug free (at least if you don't specifically search for them), so I sincerely doubt they would release a bug-ridden non-functional mess and just patch it later.

Thinking about it, I think Dark Pit as a boss is very unlikely. Palutena's arena is too big so the boss mechanic (destroy the boss and hurt others with his explosion) doesn't seem like it'd work well there.

Palutena's stage also is only in the Wii U version, so it'd be odd to tease him in a general trailer like that if he weren't in the 3ds version.

Both excellent points. So do you think alt costume or clone? I'm going with the former just because I'm not expecting any more clone characters

You know, between the sudden newcomer trailer on Monday (having only been announced the previous Thursday or Friday), the info-heavy pics of the day this week (so far), and all the new info coming out immediately about Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon from Famitsu (which is apparently set to become its own weekly "Smash Bros. Dojo"-like article), it really feels like we've hit a turning point this week. Like we've hit the final stretch of pre-release reveals and hype, and info's just going to start coming at us faster and faster from here on out.

I'm so ready. I need this game in my life now. :O

Neiteio

Interesting thing to note about Dark Pit: He's a tiny speck in the background of Palutena's promo poster, which does seem to foreshadow him as an upcoming reveal:

illust-modal.jpg

You know, between the sudden newcomer trailer on Monday, the info-heavy pics of the day this week (so far), and all the new info coming out immediately about Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon from Famitsu (which is apparently set to become its own weekly "Smash Bros. Dojo"-like article), it really feels like we've hit a turning point this week. Like we've hit the final stretch of pre-release reveals and hype, and info's just going to start coming at us faster and faster from here on out.

Can we expect some gamexplain coverage when the japanese version launches??

Caladrius

You know, between the sudden newcomer trailer on Monday, the info-heavy pics of the day this week (so far), and all the new info coming out immediately about Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon from Famitsu (which is apparently set to become its own weekly "Smash Bros. Dojo"-like article), it really feels like we've hit a turning point this week. Like we've hit the final stretch of pre-release reveals and hype, and info's just going to start coming at us faster and faster from here on out.

And just because you said that there's going to be an info drought until Mid-August.

Neiteio

You know, between the sudden newcomer trailer on Monday (having only been announced the previous Thursday or Friday), the info-heavy pics of the day this week (so far), and all the new info coming out immediately about Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon from Famitsu (which is apparently set to become its own weekly "Smash Bros. Dojo"-like article), it really feels like we've hit a turning point this week. Like we've hit the final stretch of pre-release reveals and hype, and info's just going to start coming at us faster and faster from here on out.

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic they might be accelerating the reveal schedule, especially with word of Coro Coro revealing "the full roster" next month.

To be fair, however, most of those bugs were not that major. Stuff like the Wuhu Mountain shortcut in Mario Kart 7 and such. Their products always are generally bug free (at least if you don't specifically search for them), so I sincerely doubt they would release a bug-ridden non-functional mess and just patch it later.

I think Alberto was just taking it to an extreme to represent how important launching Smash before Christmas is, to be honest.

EDIT: I think we've hit the point where (at least regarding Japanese promotion) we've gone from Smash 3DS being 'game of the future' to 'game of the soon'. We should be seeing the first TV commercials for it within the next 3 weeks, if my timing is correct. The site will also update to talk about game modes and so on, too.

Was just about to say the same thing. Seems like, even if the official website updates are lacking, we're in the final stretch where advertising is going to be going full steam and we'll be getting news from everywhere. Hell, we're only a month and half away from the Japanese release, we're going to be getting commercials in the next couple of weeks. Maybe even sooner.

My top 5 newcomers are
1. Little Mac
2. Mega Man
3. Pink Hoodie Little Mac
4. American Trunks Little Mac
5. Any other Little Mac, I don't care.

I'm a huge Punch-Out fan, it's my favorite game on the NES and I still play it every month or so to this day. I loved the Wii version from a few years back and have been hoping for him to get into Smash since Melee.

Honestly, I am excited about all the newcomers, but Little Mac has been my most wanted character and Mega Man has been my most wanted guest, so everyone else is just icing on the cake.

Now if we could get some Simon Belmont in here I'd be one satisfied customer.

ec0ec0

oh!! i remeber the pokemon X/Y one, that was bullsh*t (it could be a big problem).

I still think that things like "broken mess" and "needed day one patches" are unacceptable. Anyway, nintendo is not going to release a "skyrim version" of smash bros.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Interesting thing to note about Dark Pit: He's a tiny speck in the background of Palutena's promo poster, which does seem to foreshadow him as an upcoming reveal:

Well, it's kinda threw out of the window after Sakurai admitted that Lucina were supposed to be alt costume for Marth. (Is that one still reliable right?)

Hatchtag

Banned
Well, it's kinda threw out of the window after Sakurai admitted that Lucina were supposed to be alt costume for Marth. (Is that one still reliable right?)

Still iffy, scans from the Brawl pages don't reveal that. Scans from Sakurai's columns supposedly do, but this thread's translator can't find those.

ec0ec0

I think Alberto was just taking it to an extreme to represent how important launching Smash before Christmas is, to be honest.

If this is the case i am sorry. Its just that, since i played donkey kong 64 as a kid, i was scared of playing something like that ever again :p

Fiktion

Banned
Full translation of the Famitsu scans can be found on Eventhumbs.

One very important detail that both the character reveal trailer and Sakurai left out, however, is that you can actually start a match as Lucina with her mask on. In fact, Lucina has a taunt that lets her put on or remove the mask, in a similar fashion to Guile's "sunglasses" taunt in Ultra Street Fighter 4.

Robin's Forward Smash
This move strikes your opponent with Robin's Thunder Sword. However, as you can only use Robin's Thunder Sword attacks a certain number of times, once you've run out of uses, this attack will hit with a regular bronze sword instead.

Forward air attack
When performing this move, if you were to smash the analog stick in the forward direction, Robin will attack with his Thunder Sword for additional electric damage. But like all of Robin's Thunder Sword attacks, you can only use the improved version a finite number of times.

Down+B: Nosferatu
Purple-black smog in the shape of a snake appears right in front of Robin when this move is used. If your opponent is hit by it, he or she will be "cursed" by the spell. When a cursed opponent is hit, Robin's health meter will recover. What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger.

Neutral B: Thunder
Hitting the button once will activate a charging period for Robin's Thunder spell, and hitting it again will cast it. The amount of time Robin charges will determine the version of the spell cast (Thunder, Elthunder, Arc Thunder, or Thoron).

While charging, you can also hit the shield button to cancel the move and store the charge -- the next time you hit the B button, Robin will resume charging from wherever you left off previously.

Up+B: Elwind
When this special move is performed in the air, Robin produces two green projectiles that he sends flying downwards, which simultaneously propels him upwards. However, you can only use this move a limited number of times. Once you've exceeded the number of uses, Robin will not produce the projectiles or jump higher.

Side+B: Arc Fire
Robin produces a projectile that flies diagonally downwards. When the projectile comes into contact with the stage, an opponent, or an item, it will generate a pillar of fire that spreads upwards, and deal area damage to anyone nearby.

Can we expect some gamexplain coverage when the japanese version launches??

Oh, absolutely. We're going to be breaking our backs with coverage when the Japanese version launches, though I'm not sure how exactly it'll work since Andre is the only one with a Japanese 3DS. But he will be importing the game, and I'm seriously considering driving up the coast (I'm in LA, he's in SF) to "help out with coverage" when he gets it... :p

And just because you said that there's going to be an info drought until Mid-August.

Or maybe my saying it just made the universe want to give us even more info!

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic they might be accelerating the reveal schedule, especially with word of Coro Coro revealing "the full roster" next month.

Yeah, there's that too. I mean, if you think about it, we technically have quite a few less weeks to the Japanese 3DS launch than there are characters left to reveal (assuming every Brawl vet is returning minus Snake and Red's Pokémon). If that's the case, and if Sakurai plans on revealing every character before launch (and so far that seems to be the case, especially with Captain Falcon getting revealed this week), the reveal schedule would have to be accelerated, you know?

Neiteio

Sakurai taking the time to explain when a clone becomes its own selectable character makes me wonder if Lucina might not be the only one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom