• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

It was confirmed by unreliable source. (Nintendo Rep. I'm not sure if it's Treehouse worker or not)

I'm pretty sure there will be, though perhaps the Wii U version might not because of the 3DS version (I doubt this though).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there will be too. I just hope that none of the ones revealed so far (unlikely as it is) are hidden.

Granted I wasn't able to survive the spoiler mine for the month between Brawl's Japanese and American releases, so I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from looking at them again with Smash 3DS even if Nintendo didn't spoil all the unlockables.

georly

Nintendo had people occupied then with Treehouse and announcements like Zelda. Now nothing stops this train.

That and E3 was all according to gematsu keikaku. We knew what was coming. Mii, check, palutena, check, pac-man, check. Some neat tidbits, but still, it didn't leave a lot open to speculation.

Monday gave us:
  • Ubisoft Trophies!!!???? Will rayman be playable!?
  • No Chrom!?
  • Lucina is maybe a Clone?
  • Robin with a confusing moveset (tomes deplete? bronze sword AND levin sword?)
  • Presumed death of gematsu!

It opened up the speculation floodgates.

ffdgh

I know it's series tradition, but unlockable characters are laaaaaaaaame

Don't like 'em, no sir

Recently started up Brawl for a party. It's on my WiiU. Most of the characters are locked because I didn't transfer over my Wii save. Shiiiiiiiiiiiet!

Just have all of those sweet, delicious characters available from the start.

Pls Mashpotato Samurai, hear my cry

Sounds delicious.

jnWake

So Max posted a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUTe4g5tfYq-IZy7vvhYV1LQ&v=hEhVbToD0Qk

Was excited...untill I read it was all Matt talking and his speculation.

My reaction finding out it was matt:

food+fridge+gf.gif

Meh, its a alright video...I guess.

It's a video about nothing honestly haha, the guy just rambles without much direction and then the video ends. I guess a discussion with somebody else would've been more fun.

God damn, this. I'm OK with unlocking stages, music, trophies, stickers, whatever. But locking away characters, which is the main thing fighting games (SPECIALLY crossover ones) is just lame and it sucks.

The thrill of seeing the "Challenger Approaching!" banner is worth it, I think. Stages, music, etc., are nifty things to unlock, but nothing is as exciting as getting yourself a new character.

It opened up the speculation floodgates.

And then in the next two days, we got an uncharacteristic amount of detail on the new fighters, so a lot of that speculation swiftly turned into discussion and analysis. It's really amazing how much we've learned in just the past two PotDs.

Jaeger

I love unlocked characters. It's fighting game tradition, now. However, how you earn them is what makes it fun or not. SSE unlocked is lame. But having to earn a few perfects and Super finished, and then beat said secret character? Awesome. You earned that.

Grinding through Repetition Boring Mode x10? No thx.

Gartooth

Don't like 'em, no sir

Recently started up Brawl for a party. It's on my WiiU. Most of the characters are locked because I didn't transfer over my Wii save. Shiiiiiiiiiiiet!

Awesome / WTF moments in Melee and 64 like unlocking Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, and Mr. Game & Watch were some of my favorite Smash memories. Finding a character you were hyped as hell to see and had no idea was in the game, or one that you didn't even know existed was just a ton of fun for me personally.

Unlocking Snake and Sonic in Brawl sucked because the surprise was ruined. Same goes for a lot of veteran unlocks to a lesser extent. Honestly, I'd be okay with 4 or 5 unlockable characters, where all of them were big surprises of characters we didn't think would make it in, or have no idea who they are. Ex: Lucina, Greninja, and Wii Fit Trainer would have made great unlockables for this game had they not been already revealed.

Struggling constantly just to even keep this thread read, nevermind actually post in it XD

Don't like 'em, no sir

This. This so goddamn much :p
I'd rather fight 'challengers' to get extra costumes and moves or something.

Whelp, looks like I was wrong about the levin sword being a stance that didn't allow magic casting. In hindsight I guess the reason you never see a spell being cast with the Levin sword on the character is that it probably reverts to a bronze sword when sheathed (which you do to cast spells.)
The idea of having 4 seperate tome counts in addition to levin sword durability seems like a lot of info to have on the UI... I'm intrigued.

Thanks for the translations masked man. You're super awesome :3

Neiteio

I love unlocked characters. It's fighting game tradition, now. However, how you earn them is what makes it fun or not. SSE unlocked is lame. But having to earn a few perfects and Super finished, and then beat said secret character? Awesome. You earned that.

Grinding through Repetition Boring Mode x10? No thx.
Fuck all of it, I just want to be able to pick up this game and head home with friends and start playing everything in it

georly

Don't like 'em, no sir

Unlocking characters is no fun when you have a bunch of friends over (or just you) and you KNOW you want to choose an unlockable character. I think day 1 unlockable stuff is a bit excusable since EVERYTHING is technically new (even the veterans play differently). Having the game 3 years down the line on a new system is no fun.

A solution might be DLC (free) to unlock everyhing. Maybe a cheat code. Maybe an amiibo can save your game and you can load you unlockables via amiibo.

I don't want to have a smash bros without unlocking stuff :/

TreIII

Don't like 'em, no sir

So much this.

For me, it was painful because my launch era Wii decided to die. Even after I got a new unit from Nintendo at no cost to me besides shipping, there was apparently no saving my Brawl data, so it meant starting from scratch.

Ever since then, especially, I've come to hate the notion of having to unlock characters. Stages, costumes, stickers and now custom moves (among other things) should be enough fodder now, such that we shouldn't have to have unlockable characters again.

ionitron

I'll admit that while just like, two days ago, I posted about the fact that I'm kinda not looking forward to how much work it could potentially take trying to unlock every character, nothing can beat my excitement as a 7/8 year old kid trying to unlock all the characters in Melee.

Before I went on the internet, too, so I didn't know who everyone was until one time that I went to a friend's house and saw the full she-bang in front of me. It was incredible.

Don't like 'em, no sir

but you do have Meta Knight, have fun with 20XX: Tornado Edition

Unlocking characters is no fun when you have a bunch of friends over (or just you) and you KNOW you want to choose an unlockable character. I think day 1 unlockable stuff is a bit excusable since EVERYTHING is technically new (even the veterans play differently). Having the game 3 years down the line on a new system is no fun.

A solution might be DLC (free) to unlock everyhing. Maybe a cheat code. Maybe an amiibo can save your game and you can load you unlockables via amiibo.

I don't want to have a smash bros without unlocking stuff :/

So everything else other than characters suddenly doesn't count as "unlocking stuff"?

And honestly, even if I hated the SSE, it unlocking most characters in a quick fashion is the best thing about it.

SmithnCo

I'll admit that while just like, two days ago, I posted about the fact that I'm kinda not looking forward to how much work it could potentially take trying to unlock every character, nothing can beat my excitement as a 7/8 year old kid trying to unlock all the characters in Melee.

Before I went on the internet, too, so I didn't know who everyone was until one time that I went to a friend's house and saw the full she-bang in front of me. It was incredible.

When I saw Mewtwo as a challenger incoming it was incredible because I legitimately didn't know. Sadly the internet pretty much spoils that these days so I'm pretty indifferent to unlocking. I hope there is a lot of music to discover though.

Berordn

I'm 50/50 on hidden characters. I adore CHALLENGER APPROACHING and everything that comes with it, but the surprise is pretty much gone nowadays.

On the other hand there's a lot more than just characters to unlock, so I think having the full roster from the start but having a lot of unlockable content with trophies, stages, custom parts, assist trophies and all that jazz can make up for it.

Fuck all of it, I just want to be able to pick up this game and head home with friends and start playing everything in it

Unlocking things just get really tedious. It's fun the first time but...

Really:
  1. Play Special Mode with flowers on.
  2. Play Stamina and set one character's stamina to 1.
  3. Start a match.
  4. Do this 450+ times until you unlock all the characters.
Does that really sound like fun?

emb

cheat code for 'unlock all', disable cheevos/stat tracking
This is the compromise we need. Give players a cheat code to unlock the characters and stages (that doesn't save) for situations where it's useful. Keep the unlocks that many of us enjoy.

georly

So everything else other than characters suddenly doesn't count as "unlocking stuff"?

And honestly, even if I hated the SSE, it unlocking most characters in a quick fashion is the best thing about it.

Hierarchy of how cool it is to unlock something:

1. Characters
  2. Stages
  3. Alt costumes (if they're somehow unlockable)
  4. Modes
  5. Songs
  6. Custom moves (if they're somehow unlockable)
  7. Trophies
  8. Stickers
  9. Equipment
  10. etc.

Removing unlockable characters would be the worst for me. They're the number 1 coolest unlockable.

Once again, it's really only fun the first time (especially if unlocking is tied to cool things to do... not just 'play 50 matches'). The other things to unlock will likely take a ton of my time.

A solution for unlocking them again in the future would definitely be nice.

-Horizon-

I'm ok with unlockable characters as long as they aren't Lucina, Palutena, or Rosalina.
The rest of the roster can be hidden for all I care lol

ionitron

When I saw Mewtwo as a challenger incoming it was incredible because I legitimately didn't know. Sadly the internet pretty much spoils that these days so I'm pretty indifferent to unlocking. I hope there is a lot of music to discover though.

Oh, definitely. I didn't know who the hell a lot of the characters were to begin with (Marth? Roy? I didn't even know the Legend of Zelda I'm ashamed to admit haha) so when I saw MewTwo I was... wow. A legendary pokemon, too.

Part of my blegh feelings towards unlocking the characters in the start is totally the fact that we've been keeping up with this game since the day it was said that they just started working on it. We know everything lol. We just want to play them. However, on the flip side, it does give us stuff to do with the game when we initially get it without burnout from just having multiplayer matches, not to mention we might not even have people to play it with to begin with so it still gives us stuff to do.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with the concept that unlockable characters suck, I don't want to grind though a game for x amount of hours to finally unlock whoever I actually want to use and THEN start learning how to use him.

I say have all the characters unlocked, but keep alternate costumes / stages / trophies as hidden content. With fighting games, I really just want all the characters from the get go.

Removing unlockable characters would be the worst for me. They're the number 1 coolest unlockable.

Once again, it's really only fun the first time (especially if unlocking is tied to cool things to do... not just 'play 50 matches'). The other things to unlock will likely take a ton of my time.

A solution for unlocking them again in the future would definitely be nice.

The thing is that the characters are the main attraction in fighting games, so locking them up infinitely sucks. Want to use the character you actually like? Fuck you use these you might not like and work for it.

Fandangox

I love unlockning the characters, I went out of my way in Brawl to unlock most of them in their third way as opposed to their first (by playing SSE) and second (Playing Vs Matches) options.

It was fun for me.

Wait, so the "one character cut for Lucina" was true?

Goodbye Takamaru. :(

Actually, we still don't really know.

And even then, if you chose to believe what we have heard so far, a character wasn't cut for Lucina, it was more like a character was cut, so sakurai added Lucina.

From wut lil I read on this I would agree with Lunar.

And I would say that character was Ray Man. Outta no where he has and animated trophy and Ubishit has been shitting on Nintendo this gen so I can see a deal falling apart and instead of being all "wut do we do? No time to replace em with an original ..." they decided to clone it up.

Jaeger

I live in a world where everyone wants everything right away. Where's the fun and enjoyment of discovering secrets, anymore...?

*sigh*

Must be getting old.

emb

The thing is that the characters are the main attraction in fighting games, so locking them up infinitely sucks. Want to use the character you actually like? Fuck you use these you might not like and work for it.
True enough; it's the same situation but a different reaction for me. The only things I want are the character unlocks, so meeting those goals gives great satisfaction. And I'm going to want to try out all the characters anyway, I may as well have something exciting to work toward while doing so!

Rock Band did it right, give me an option to instantly have all characters and stages for local multiplayer if I have people over and don't want to spend 5-10 hours in single player unlocking everything.

Unlocks in this day and age are stupid, especially for the 3ds version where all 4 players have to separately unlock all characters and possibly stages. How awesome will it be when you play with a friend and he's unlocked all the characters and you haven't? Oh wait that would be awful

No unlocks or an option to instantly unlock stuff for multiplayer

Angry Guy

Unlocking characters feels really good, but honestly there's nothing worse than going over to your bud's place and seeing that they haven't unlocked Snake yet.

Doorman

I'm not hugely against having unlockable characters in theory, but I think if they're going to do it, they should make sure that the characters are very easy to unlock and can be had in fairly short order. Hiding characters behind particular challenges that people who aren't already good at the game can't surpass can be pretty lame (like rather than just "beat classic mode" you see things like "beat classic mode with only 3 stocks and no continues on Normal difficulty or higher"). Having an out of playing several hundred VS matches to unlock them alternatively doesn't help much.

Being able to unlock most/all characters in Brawl via the Subspace Emissary mode was alright in theory but that took quite a long time as well. The "surprise" of knowing which characters appear in the game is largely dead thanks to the internet nowadays, especially considering you'll likely be able to encounter any of the hidden characters in online matches from day one. So if you're going to have them at all, make it quick and easy to reach them.

Berordn

Unlocking characters feels really good, but honestly there's nothing worse than going over to your bud's place and seeing that they haven't unlocked Snake yet.

I'm just really glad he didn't stick with the idea that "3rd party characters have to be really hard to unlock in a Nintendo crossover."

That'd be the worst :(

emb

I live in a world where everyone wants everything right away. Where's the fun and enjoyment of discovering secrets, anymore...?

*sigh*

Must be getting old.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not nearly as much fun. But a big part of it is just getting old. That, and the wide availability of information. We already know so much (from being older/smarter and from being connected), it's hard to get excited about it when the game comes out. And that sense of wonder from playing the games back then is what makes me obsessed with the games now, and leaves me ready to absorb any information available. So I spoil myself because of how much I enjoyed not being spoiled. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom