• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

ec0ec0

Oh, who do you think those "16 highly skilled Smash Bros. players" will be then?

You are right, but those are just 16 players + all the other competitive smash players that will be playing in the tournament + all the competitive smash players watching from home. I said "just" because even if we take into consideration all those, they are a little number in comparation with all the casual players that will be playing/watching the stream. Also, i see this tournament as a way of promoting the game and, if that was the case, "for fun mode" would be the best way of promoting the game to "everyone".

Linkhero1

Mod bet? If you lose, I take your place as a mod, but if you win, you take my place as a Member.

Deal?

Sounds like a great deal.

Someone else suggested something that Nintendo would most likely do during the tournament. They'll probably reveal another character at that event. I can see this happening since Sakurai is known to just show off characters when he feels like it.

Kriken

If people are still curious about E3 2013 Location for Best Buy. Here is a link; http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/29/nintendo-lists-best-buy-e3-demo-locations/

I would like to assume that those locations would be reused for E3 2014 demo stations again.

Here's hoping, I was able to go last year, this time I'll know to arrive much earlier. It was so much fun last year and given that DKC:TF didn't show Cranky and MK8 didn't show the Koopalings, I know that won't be the final roster

Berordn

If the invitational is taking place after the game's out, would they still need to reveal characters?

Did they actually say when it's happening and I just missed that bit?

It'd be an interesting double-whammy if Sakurai revealed Captain Falcon and Meta Knight for the tourney reveal. Falcon gets buffed to Melee levels, Meta Knight gets some slight nerfs. Y'know, as a way to show he cares about balance and realizes some characters got the short end of the stick while others... didn't.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Here's hoping, I was able to go last year, this time I'll know to arrive much earlier. It was so much fun last year and given that DKC:TF didn't show Cranky and MK8 didn't show the Koopalings, I know that won't be the final roster

What time did their demo start in morning? if you remember?

Linkhero1

If the invitational is taking place after the game's out, would they still need to reveal characters?

Did they actually say when it's happening and I just missed that bit?

The invitational is during E3 in the Nokia Theater. Most likely on the day of their Direct.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
haha... the tournament should/will (prediction time :p) be in "for fun mode". It should be with items/random stages. This tournament is not supposed to be "evo" and most people playing/watching the stream are not going to be mew2king, they are going to be casual players that want to see the "whole" game in action. I think that doing a "serious" tournament would be really bad for promoting the game in comparation with doing a "for fun" tournament. No!?

You can't do a "for fun" tournament any more than you can do a "for glory" tournament, the distinctions as modes do not exist outside of online matches against random opponents.

But conceptually, sure, I get you. I dunno if I agree, though. An invitational tournament seems like something they'd do to pander directly to the more competitive fans. If they just wanted to show off all-items wackytimes, I'd imagine the players would be journalists or Nintendo staff. Which.. I guess they still could be. Depends upon who they end up inviting, I suppose. The list will likely correspond appropriately to the kind of gameplay they're looking to show off.

Sounds like a great deal.

Someone else suggested something that Nintendo would most likely do during the tournament. They'll probably reveal another character at that event. I can see this happening since Sakurai is known to just show off characters when he feels like it.

I mentioned this a while ago but imagine if they're saving the EPIC REVEAL of Captain Falcon for this tournament at E3?

Kriken

What time did their demo start in morning? if you remember?

I want to say for East Coast, it was 3:00 PM-8:00 PM or something in that area. I'm not a morning person and I thought arriving 30 minutes early would be plenty of time to prepare
I was one of the last to demo

Edit: Found some pics I took then, one was 5 PM, the other was 7:30 PM so the demos were in the afternoon and not the morning

I really hope there is a level editor in this game. A nice system that lets us upload/download and rate each others levels would be amazing.

Using the stylus and touch pad to draw designs and then have that line art turn into actual platforms, either by having the line art be solid but still sketchy or replace the line art with 3d modeled blocks.

Sakurai delete the post, pic url here

rehost:
kcSyeeQ.jpg

Batty was right....

Damn, dual tethers

emb

Only to find out Ridley gets an official reveal instead. Mwa ha ha
The way that was worded, I imagined it as most of Nintendo finding out that Ridley's getting an official reveal. Like all the people running the show, including Iwata, Reggie, etc just had no idea what they were about to show us. Sakurai just snuck in a little surprise.

georly

Sakurai delete the post, pic url here

rehost:
kcSyeeQ.jpg

Who else will have a tether?

Toon link (will it be as long?)
ZSS (her whip should still act as a tether, like regular samus, right?)
Sheik (maybe her whip has been repurposed as a tether?)

Olimar has obviously lost his, right? 3 pikmin can't ever be long enough to tether.

ec0ec0

The falcon reveal trailer: we first see bowser in the center of dreamland, alone and at 0%. Now, falcon appears and hits bowser with the knee. Bowser instantly dies :O

i thought it was only a tournament for the press/only at E3, i'd rather not waste time for a 1 on 1 tourney at best buy, i just want to play the damn game
:/ smh

Miyamoto vs Iwata first round
Reggie vs Geoff first round
Sakurai vs Kojima :O first round (snake/big boss gets revealed)
Kamiya vs Ono :O first round (Bayonetta x Blanka gets revealed)
etc

:p

Berordn

Olimar has obviously lost his, right? 3 pikmin can't ever be long enough to tether.

Ivysaur obviously.

Olimar almost certainly lost his when they changed his recovery, unless they decide to do something completely bizarre with his grab. Shiek might've changed now that they changed the side special from the whip to the bomb. If Lucas is back he'll probably have the rope snake as a tether again.

RiggyRob

Not being as long as before doesn't mean he's lost his tether
although I do think he won't have a tether now.

Kyzon

Toon LInk, and Lucas may have a shorter one. ZSS has one tether instead of two though. Side B tethers and Up B is that new kick.

Sheik lost hers unless the string she attaches to her grenades teathers.

Olimar doesn't have his since he flies.

Codeblue

Rope Snake!

Wolf will tether by whipping Slippy and Leon around by the ankles of one holding the other

georly

I think Nintendo would want it to be press members over just skilled players. That's not to say that there aren't any skilled players in the press.

That changes the tournament entirely. 16 press members not knowing what they're doing is infinitely worse than 16 pro smash players showing off that the new smash bros is actually trying to be competitive (for glory!).

16 press members playing 'for fun' = Smash Bros Brawl
16 pro players playing 'for glory' = Smash Bros Melee

Whichever they choose will tell the fans what this game is trying to be closest to.

Linkhero1

That changes the tournament entirely. 16 press members not knowing what they're doing is infinitely worse than 16 pro smash players showing off that the new smash bros is actually trying to be competitive (for glory!).

16 press members playing 'for fun' = Smash Bros Brawl
16 pro players playing 'for glory' = Smash Bros Melee

Whichever they choose will tell the fans what this game is trying to be closest to.

Oh. It's only 16 people?

Well, I don't know. Hopefully there are 16 press members with enough skills for the tournament not to be a snoozefest.

Holy shit... didn't expect to wake up to this, this afternoon. My roommate was blowing up my phone with texts, pissing me off. Totally worth it. We are renting a car and going to the Best Buy an hour away. Were the kiosks up for every day of e3 last year? If so, we can watch the e3 direct/invitational then go to best buy and play smash 4 the next day, right?!

Top Bottom