• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

Neiteio

Assist Trophy idea -- Magnus AND Gaol (Kid Icarus Uprising):

Took this shot of their idol the other night:

zlCfzR3XgCk5sUdfGz

(Looks superior in 3D)

Imagine them zipping around the arena double-teaming your enemies. :-O Other cool Assist Trophies from Kid Icarus could be Eggplant Wizard and Tempura Wizard.

As for the secondary gods and goddesses (Phosphora, etc), I'd rather see them as stage hazards. We know Phosphora has a trophy in the game -- maybe we'll get a Lightning Battle stage. :-O

Assist Trophy idea -- Magnus AND Gaol (Kid Icarus Uprising):

Imagine them zipping around the arena double-teaming your enemies. :-O Other cool Assist Trophies from Kid Icarus could be Eggplant Wizard and Tempura Wizard.

As for the secondary gods and goddesses (Phosphora, etc), I'd rather see them as stage hazards. We know Phosphora has a trophy in the game -- maybe we'll get a Lightning Battle stage. :-O

Is.. is there a point where we can start considering Assist Trophies OP? I do really want to see them represented in Smash in some way though =)

Berordn

Is.. is there a point where we can start considering Assist Trophies OP? I do really want to see them represented in Smash in some way though =)

I dunno about OP, but Lyn and Grey Fox could already kill at pretty low percentages and could be hard to avoid.

Gaol and Magnus wouldn't be too far out of place.

Neiteio

I basically see Gaol keeping her distance and firing from afar while Magnus chases down the target for a clubbin'. Of course, in a battle with three or four players, Gaol and Magnus could split up and chase different players.

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact Kid Icarus Uprising already has so many amazing characters, I'd be pushing for Magnus & Gaol to be playable. But Palutena is my No. 1 pick on that front (and most likely), followed by Hades and then Medusa.

I can totally see a Pyrrhon Assist Trophy, now that I think of it. He comes on stage, says something silly and torches everything in sight!

Neiteio

Going back to Magnus & Gaol for a second (because I secretly want to turn this thread into a Kid Icarus Uprising thread), Magnus himself would be an incredibly fun newcomer... even if I'd prioritize Palutena, Hades and Medusa ahead of him. But there's no denying that club is one of the most fun weapons to use. I won like 12 straight matches in Light vs. Dark the other day using the Magnus Club. It packs a meteor smash in every swing!

Zalman

Going back to Magnus & Gaol for a second (because I secretly want to turn this thread into a Kid Icarus Uprising thread), Magnus himself would be an incredibly fun newcomer... even if I'd prioritize Palutena, Hades and Medusa ahead of him. But there's no denying that club is one of the most fun weapons to use. I won like 12 straight matches in Light vs. Dark the other day using the Magnus Club. It packs a meteor smash in every swing!
I could see Magnus as an Assist Trophy. Probably not playable unless Sakurai adds multiple Kid Icarus newcomers.

I dunno about OP, but Lyn and Grey Fox could already kill at pretty low percentages and could be hard to avoid.

Gaol and Magnus wouldn't be too far out of place.

Lyn iirc would only attack in a specific area as opposed to chasing down targets. Grey Fox was definitely lethal, you're right, and is in a similar style to Latias and Latios. I just had a funny mental picture where G&M were just decimating every opponent =)

I basically see Gaol keeping her distance and firing from afar while Magnus chases down the target for a clubbin'. Of course, in a battle with three or four players, Gaol and Magnus could split up and chase different players.

That would be cool! I pictured them approaching each opponent and pulling a dual Link-Smash-style finisher; that would be too much 0_o

Berordn

Lyn iirc would only attack in a specific area as opposed to chasing down targets. Grey Fox was definitely lethal, you're right, and is in a similar style to Latias and Latios. I just had a funny mental picture where G&M were just decimating every opponent =)

Lyn actually targeted a specific player, and if she manged to hit, her attack had a really high knockback.

When there's a lot going on it's not hard to miss the timing on dodging her.

Alright, my bad. I should have know that. Lucas' up B is way better than Ness, but still not good against characters with good recoveries. They would jump and attack you easily because you would be so opened to the attacks awhile you are trying to focus to get PK thunder to hit you. It's situational for me.

I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure that everyone get speed buff because the game is little quicker than Brawl's.

Edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghEhI4CJjAM&feature=youtu.be

HECK YEAHHHHHHHHH!

YEEES

emb

This tourney news is so awesome. I live in LA, but assuredly I have to work.

Anyone want to post their "dream 16" for invites?

Dream 16?

M2K
Dr. PP
Armada
Mango
Hungrybox
Ken
Isai
Darkrain
Hax
Azen
Chu
Sakurai
PC Chris
Bombsoldier
aMSa
Korean DJ

Aside from the first three, none of them would be good at Smash 4 fast enough for it to really be exciting. T.T

georly

It'd be pathetic funny if the Smash Invitational lets everyone choose their own character and everyone chooses Fox.

Makes me hope that there is a bit of prep with the 16 players.

Ideally, I'd like them all to be able to play the game at least a few hours ahead of time, if not days. I'd also like nintendo to kinda force a bit of variety in the tournament (maybe have each player pick a character and no one else can pick it), even though it wouldn't be 100% fair, it would at least make for a better show, which is all this is, really.

Dream 16?

M2K
Dr. PP
Armada
Mango
Hungrybox
Ken
Isai
Darkrain
Hax
Azen
Chu
Sakurai
PC Chris
Bombsoldier
aMSa
Korean DJ

Aside from the first three, none of them would be good at Smash 4 fast enough for it to really be exciting. T.T

Melee Top 5? Check.
aMSa? Check.
Sakurai? Check.

Okay, your list is awesome.

It was just a big crowd around one setup for last year from my experience. No real 'lines' per se, just sign up as early as possible and wait your turn

That sounds rough. Crowds of people pushing and shoving each other to sign a piece of paper. But once you're on there, it's heaven.

georly

Good! Time for some grainy footage of Smash's roster menu!

Hopefully the tournament will have direct-feed streams. I assume that will have the character select screen. I assume 99% of analysis will come from those streams. Maybe 60% of they're all 'For Glory' style matches. You'll get item/stage analysis from normal showfloor matches.

Hatchtag

Banned
I really hope the 16 are being able to practice for Smash 4. I'm guessing they would be, because if not, either they'll just be learning their moves the whole time, or they'll all stick to using old characters because they're more familiar with them.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If they are inviting professional Smash players to the event I hope they give them time with the game beforehand instead of just making them play Smash 4 for the first time right there. It just sounds like a thing NoA would do.

I imagine they'll only be able to use whatever's revealed up to that point. And it will probably be a single elimination tournament, maybe even single round.

Codeblue

Dream 16?

M2K
Dr. PP
Armada
Mango
Hungrybox
Ken
Isai
Darkrain
Hax
Azen
Chu
Sakurai
PC Chris
Bombsoldier
aMSa
Korean DJ

I might put Wobbles in there instead of Darkrain if Ice Climbers get revealed by then.

Also throw Aniki somewhere in there.

I'd love to see Sakurai participate in the tourney. I don't think I've ever seen him play an actual match of Smash. I wonder how good he is, being the guy behind the game.

Neiteio

So guys, if you roughed out the lines at Best Buy and got one shot to try one character for the purposes of this demo, which character would it be, of the ones we currently know?

I'd definitely go with Greninja. He appeals to both my gameplay style (fast and technical) and he's one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite franchises.

georly

I'd love to see Sakurai participate in the tourney. I don't think I've ever seen him play an actual match of Smash. I wonder how good he is, being the guy behind the game.

There's a video of him playing brawl, if i recall. I wouldnt be surprised if he's playing at least one of the characters in most of the smash footage we've seen, as well. (not talking about showing off characters, but actual 4 player matches).

georly

So guys, if you roughed out the lines at Best Buy and got one shot to try one character for the purposes of this demo, which character would it be, of the ones we currently know?

I'd definitely go with Greninja. He appeals to both my gameplay style (fast and technical) and he's one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite franchises.

I wonder if EVERYONE will be playable. The press release kinda hints at it, but i'm not sure:

Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time.

If I could choose anyone, I guess i'd try mega man. If I wanted to try to win, I'd choose toon link.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I don't know. It will be very tough decision. Pit, Mega Man or Little Mac?

emb

Hard call. Almost definitely a newcomer, probably Mac or Rosalina.

Top Bottom