• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Additional courses in mario golf or additional tracks in mario kart are different than a new playable character. Anyone who wants 'more content' will buy a track or a course. Not everyone will buy a dlc fighting game character, especially if they don't care for the franchise they represent or if they THINK the character is a clone (like Lucas - not saying he's a clone, but some people feel that he is).

I think the potential customers are way less for an unpopular character than for 'more tracks' or 'more courses' like mario kart/golf. You need to provide value to the consumer if you want to sell them a character they don't necessarily care about. A season pass, a bundle, extra modes (buy lucas and get the all-new boss for classic mode!), etc. will help sell unpopular characters.
Then make bundles available. I already said I anticipate a season pass. But I could also see them making individual characters available at a premium for those who mainly want them.

Although it's kind of a moot point since I anticipate the average Smash fan will want every character they can get their hands on.

Loco4Coco

The third Gematsu leak, lifted verbatim:

- Last E3 before game's launch (obviously)
- Participating characters: Pac-Man, Mii Fighter, Goddess Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (none of these are new, obv, so I take he means these are the participating characters for E3?)
- There has been internal debate about keeping Lucas versus Ness, apparently Lucas is likely to get the cut
- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy

Hmm, I see this person got some things right but I still believe dlc won't happen for this game. Lets just wait and see what happens.

One character, one stage, one assist trophy/Pokemon, 10 trophies and other random stuff like Smash Run enemies or stickers or whatever for 5 dollars each. 4 of them, with a bonus Tabuu assist trophy for owning all 4. Season pass for 15.

Would be a good value imo.
Do 2 retro characters (Lucas and Mewtwo) and 2 newcomers (whoever). Include New Pork City with Lucas and Saffron City with Mewtwo and 2 new levels with the new comers.

I don't believe the Gematsu leak for various reasons but I still think DLC is an inevitability. Why wouldn't they make DLC? It's easy money for a game like SSB.

georly

Don't get me wrong -- I can see it going either way. But I'm inclined to lean in the direction of "there will be DLC."

Yeah, I think so too. Now I just wonder if it'll be like mario golf and available day 1 or if it'll be 6 months > 1 year later to keep people interested in the game.

I fully expect mario kart to have dlc, also. They already said it'll have amiibo support. I assume that will extend beyond 'saving ghost data.' (Plz let me be captain falcon, thanks)

georly

Their easy money is in the form of Amiibos.

DLC in the amiibos?

Don't see it happening unless there is a code inside the box. It's been pointed out before why amiibo as dlc is a bad idea.

The following are options if amiibo is dlc
  1. Code is built into amiibo, redeemable once. Unlikely because amiibos are designed to be used in multiple games. Also means amiibo can't be traded or resold because code is no longer valid.
  2. Requires amiibo present every time you want to play as dlc character. If you lose amiibo you lose access to that character.
  3. Using amiibo once gives you character permanently. Nintendo loses money as everyone shares 1 amiibo.

EulaCapra

- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy
Watch how they'll take advantage of this wording.
"We have heard your pleas for Ridley and Dixie Kong, but unfortunately new characters are not possible at this time. What we can offer you though is Zero Suit Samus without a mole for $5."
140Gvyp.jpg

Berordn

The following are options if amiibo is dlc
  1. Code is built into amiibo, redeemable once. Unlikely because amiibos are designed to be used in multiple games. Also means amiibo can't be traded or resold because code is no longer valid.

The amiibo could still be used in multiple games after it's redeemed, if the redemption is just a part of the figurine's data. Presumably it gets activated, DLC gets redeemed, and then it proceeds to act as a normal NFC figurine. It'd be kind of like a season pass code, just built into the figurine.

I don't think it's likely, but it's doable. Realistically they'd probably just bundle an eShop code with the figurine.

Kyzon

Woah! First I get introduced to the chorus kids for the first time by the leak, now I get introduced to Plue by talking about the chorus kids. It's just one long chain of learning :D

Plue is also in another Anime, Rave Master.
The chain of learning never ends

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Post less, play more!

Haha, I wish.

Did Sakurai seriously waste moves that could have went on Takamaru on the Mii?

I just knew that Takamaru lost his chance for on disc roster but I can't really see him as DLC character because many casual players don't know who he is.

Or alternatively he gave you the tools to make your own Takamaru since he won't be in the game.

Only if they allowed me to use that ponytail and costume from Takamaru's NintendoLand game.

I don't understand what people are arguing anymore

Smash language is pretty much gibberish at the moment.

Honestly I feel that the Inklings, Henry and Wonder Red should be 'saved' for the next Smash game to be added as playable. If the former 2 are added as DLC when their games release it just comes off as marketing the games in a Playstation All-Stars kind of way (obviously not as bad since Rising Raiden and DmC Dante were added before their games even released... as well as the fact that both Capcom and Konami had better suited reps for such a game).

Don't get me wrong, they may have Smash potential but it feels too early for them to be in Smash. The DLC should be for older, more established characters if you ask me. And yes I know Roy was in Smash to promote his new game but look where that got him :p. Cut from Brawl and nowhere to be seen in Smash 4.

I agreed that we should save most of new generation characters for Smash 5 if it's going to happens.

Darryl

Banned
I don't think they'd do nickle and dime DLC on something like Smash Bros. They'd probably do large packs. I can already see a Pokemon one possible with all of these removed characters.

georly

The amiibo could still be used in multiple games after it's redeemed, if the redemption is just a part of the figurine's data. Presumably it gets activated, DLC gets redeemed, and then it proceeds to act as a normal NFC figurine. It'd be kind of like a season pass code, just built into the figurine.

I don't think it's likely, but it's doable. Realistically they'd probably just bundle an eShop code with the figurine.

But then it's sloppy seconds amiibo and nobody wants that.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdg3Qb-_kUY Final smash comparison between old and new. Watching this basically extinguishes all hope I had for Ganondorf having a new moveset.

Cse

Banned
Does anyone think we'll get another Smash Bros Direct before the release of the 3DS version? Or, at the least, another Nintendo Direct that features 10+ minutes of new Smash information?

Does anyone think we'll get another Smash Bros Direct before the release of the 3DS version? Or, at the least, another Nintendo Direct that features 10+ minutes of new Smash information?

Maybe for Smash Wii U. I could maybe see one more 3DS segment/newcomer in the August ND though.

The Adder

Banned
You know what'd be interesting?

First run prints of new games coming with free download codes for a DLC character from that game to encourage purchases.

Splatoon with a download code in the box for Inkling in Smash, for example.

Ryce

Watching this basically extinguishes all hope I had for Ganondorf having a new moveset.
Final Smashes are only one move. A lot of veterans have new attacks (I'm probably missing a ton):

Donkey Kong - dash attack
Link - dash attack
Yoshi - side tilt (I think?), dash attack
Kirby - side special, Final Smash
Luigi - Final Smash
Bowser - most of his standard attacks
Zelda - down special
Sheik - side special, down special
Pit - pretty much everything is new
Zero Suit Samus - side smash, up special, Final Smash
Olimar - up special
Diddy Kong - up tilt
Charizard - side special, Final Smash
King Dedede - side special
Lucario - Final Smash
Sonic - down smash

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a few new standard attacks and a new special or two for Ganondorf (which would be enough for me).

-Horizon-

You know what'd be interesting?

First run prints of new games coming with free download codes for a DLC character from that game to encourage purchases.

Splatoon with a download code in the box for Inkling in Smash, for example.

Some game series are few and far between. Good luck getting a Monolith Soft character.

Fandangox

There are too many leaks! Which one was it?

Second Sal Leak mentioned Palutena (Confirmed), Shulk, X/Y Pokemon (Confirmed), Chrom, Chorus Men (Chorus Kids) and that Pacman was still coming (Confirmed)

People spotted a Rhythm Heaven enemy on Smash Run, so that gives credibility to Chorus Kids/Marshall.

Ryce

Mother was introduced in the original Super Smash Bros. It was a fairly niche series with only two installments, but its critical acclaim and pedigree (Itoi) made it stand out. I feel like Xenoblade is comparable to Mother in a lot of ways — it didn’t necessarily set the sales charts on fire, but Tetsuya Takahashi is a celebrated game designer, a sequel is on the way, and lots of people consider it the best JRPG of the last generation. I wouldn’t have included Shulk on my personal roster, but I do think his presence in Smash Bros. is justified.

-Horizon-

Second Sal Leak mentioned Palutena (Confirmed), Shulk, X/Y Pokemon (Confirmed), Chrom, Chorus Men (Chorus Kids) and that Pacman was still coming (Confirmed)

People spotted a Rhythm Heaven enemy on Smash Run, so that gives credibility to Chorus Kids/Marshall.

Gematsu Leak #2, and re-emphasized in Gematsu Leak #3.

So we just need 3 more to complete the list. 2 if Chorus Men really is a given now.
Guess I should get ready for the Shulk parade.

It's not Marshal lol.

But yeah, most recent Sal leak knew the Mii Fighter was called Mii Fighter before the Mii Fighter reveal, and Rhythm Heaven enemies suggest Chorus Kids could be right. The leak (which also says Lucas might be cut), also perfectly lines up with the 3DS demo roster. Two pages of 24=48, which is the leaked newcomers, Brawl veterans (no Ivy, Squirtle, Snake, or Lucas), and a random spot. It's looking more likely every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom