• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just GC controller with tap jump off, I'll normally have Y to grab for L-cancelling and L to grab as well if I'm playing Ness for easier DJC aerials in P:M, but I doubt I'll need any of that seeing as L-cancelling as an input is thankfully gone and I doubt they'll let us DJC again considering they took it out of brawl.

Edit: The 3DS version was always going to be massively inferior.

I have a lot of Ideas with the Miis, but I'm going to wait until I see all the customization stuff, first.

I expect I'll do the same I did for Brawl.

Pro Controller.

A + B = Jump
X = Attack
Y = Special
L = Shield
R = Grab

I may switch B to Grab, but we'll see.

Interesting I love seeing the different set ups people have. : )

Tyeforce

Can anyone link me to the 3rd Gematsu leak? It got buried under all the E3 news that this is the first time I'm hearing of it.

Sal Romano said:
Hey, guys.

Funny that this page is talking about a new e-mail, because that's exactly why I'm here. Received one last night, but missed it in the mix of all this crazy E3 coverae.

But there's not much new about it, so I didn't think it was worth posting on the site.

I'll leave what it says here, though, in case you guys can use it in any way.

Basically, I was told that:

- Last E3 before game's launch (obviously)
- Participating characters: Pac-Man, Mii Fighter, Goddess Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (none of these are new, obv, so I take he means these are the participating characters for E3?)
- There has been internal debate about keeping Lucas versus Ness, apparently Lucas is likely to get the cut
- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy

And that's it. This E3 should make or break whether this guy's the real deal. Let's hope for the best! =)
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ano-gematsu-leak.353570/page-52#post-16866157

The 47/48 character roster was never a part of the Gematsu leak, but rather a theory made by people's observations of the demo character select screens and assuming that we're only getting three more newcomers (Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids) and that four characters are likely to be cut (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, and Lucas).

GamerJM

Banned
For me, I just didn't like using the circlepad at all. I felt like it was an approximation of how you play Smash with an analog stick, not a 1:1 conversion.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. The 3DS version just didn't feel right at all in terms of controls and I usually like the circlepad. The lack of a C-Stick and a Z-button didn't help either.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You know I totally wouldn't mind if they cut both Earthbound characters.

They should keep Ness though because he was in the first Smash up till now.

PK Gaming

If that rumor is true, then it's incredibly sad how they're actually considering cutting Ness (considering his status as one of the original 12)

georly

Best Buy. For me it was something I might consider tolerable online, but since I was playing with the guy standing beside me, it was pretty bad. Obviously this is just an E3 build which is bound to improve, so I'm not too concerned at this point.

Yeah my lag was bad, too, but I assume that it was more related to the fact that a ton of people in line had their 3DSes on and playing stuff (i know a bunch were playing mario kart and some were playing monster hunter). Probably tons of wireless interference.

NeonZ

Regarding the Gematsu leak and the supposed 47/48 character roster... If we are to assume that Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids are the only other newcomers that we're getting, that would leave us with no unlockable newcomers at all, assuming Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids are starters, which I believe they will be, and I'd imagine they'll be revealed in the coming months before release. They're all more recent characters or represent newer franchises, and they're main characters at that (not side characters, villains, or variant characters), and as such none of them really feel right being unlockable to me, especially not Shulk or Chorus Kids since they represent new franchises to Smash Bros.

So, in my opinion, either Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids are the only other newcomers we're getting and there won't be any unlockable newcomers (perhaps there are no unlockable characters anymore?), or there are still some more newcomers that will be unlockable that haven't been leaked yet. I really hope the latter ends up being the case.

I could easily see those three characters being unlockable. Shulk is from a secondary series, so he easily could be kept as an unlockable in spite of it being the series' debut, look at Marth in Melee, or even Captain Falcon and Ness in the original SSB. Same goes to the Chorus Kids - even more so in their case due to their inevitable odd design, like ROB and Game & Watch.

Chrom as an unlockable is only odd to me due to the Arena Ferox in the 3ds game, but his status could easily be more based on the Wii U design plans, where there's no starting Awakening stage. Also, all newcomers have come alongside Directs or other events, and trailers of their own. At most, we're getting one Direct before launch at this point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well for me the 3DS has to be good for single player rather than multiplayer because I'm likely going to be using it as a commute game most of all.

Tyeforce

If that rumor is true, then it's incredibly sad how they're actually considering cutting Ness (considering his status as one of the original 12)
It's not like it's unprecedented. When Melee was being developed, back when EarthBound 64 was still a thing, Lucas was considered to replace Ness at the time. Also, signs point to Jigglypuff being a late addition to Brawl, as well, so it's not like the original 12 are 100% safe like so many people assume. The original starting 8, sure, but the 4 original unlockables? They're a little different. Of course, I don't expect any of them to be cut this time around, but I can understand why Ness and Jigglypuff were supposedly nearly cut in the past.

Kouriozan

Sadly I'll be on the "once the Wii U version release, I'm almost never touching back the 3DS one" train.
BUT, it also depends on which modes will be exclusive to the 3DS version. Oh and I'll try to get every achievements too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sadly I'll be on the "once the Wii U version release, I'm almost never touching back the 3DS one" train.
BUT, it also depends on which modes will be exclusive to the 3DS version. Oh and I'll try to get every achievements too.

Only if I actually 100% the game before Wii U coming out. Probably but I can see myself playing Smash Run if it's pretty good with wifi.

georly

Only if I actually 100% the game before Wii U coming out. Probably but I can see myself playing Smash Run if it's pretty good with wifi.

I play 3DS in bed and I play Wii U/PC otherwise. I will probably still play a little bit of smash 4 nightly if it manages to keep my interest.

I stopped trying to get all the trophies/stickers in brawl once I realized i'd have to keep playing through SSE to get some of them. If there is nothing that boring/tedious, i'll probably still play smash 3DS at night.

Clean:
daily_20140617_ljch5.jpg

I wonder if this is the same model as in Sonic Generations?

Fox News headline: "New Nintendo game for Wii add-on allows Jesus to smite the antichrist, Barack Obama"
Fox News headline: "New Nintendo game for Wii add-on allows Barack Hussein Obama to team up with Adolf Hitler and beat up Our Lord Jesus Christ"

...I ditched the random to add [Dixie Kong]. After all it isn't there in the 3DS version, and that's the version they're finalizing.
Uh, no, the Random icon is very much present in the 3DS build:
X9eF421.png

SCHIGGY

I am never participating in avatar bets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

Eggrobos looks cool and I'm glad he functions the same way in SSB4 as he does in S3&K :D
Noooot quite. In S3&K he shoots out laser beams - single shots, travel from his gun, last indefinitely (well, until the edge of the map, anyway). In Smash Bros., he fires a large exhaust that spans the entire screen, going through walls if it has to - think an oversized blow-torch.

Having played the 3DS version, my excitement for that died a bit. The characters are too small and pixelated when it zooms out. I actually lost my character several times during 4 player matches. I'll still buy it, but it's more about just having the entire Smash experience.

I'm honestly expecting most if not all characters unlocked from the start, at least for new comers as Sakurai clearly wants to reveal all the newcomers on his terms. At worst I see a week before launch smash direct with a "warning all newcomers/secrets to be shown"

Of course if the gematsu leak is true then it really doesn't matter who is or isn't unlockable as we already know everyone

RiggyRob

Interesting I love seeing the different set ups people have. : )

Seeing the setups people have is bending my mind. People don't have X (or whatever the highest face button is) as the default jump button?

For reference, I think I'll stick to the normal X = jump, A = attack, B = special, Y = grab, L and R = shield controls for the 3DS version and swap X and Y for the Wii U version due to the different button layout.

Grakl

I enjoyed the 3DS version, and thought smash run was real fun

everything about the design of smash reminds me of kid icarus, I'm happy that sakurai is bringing some of the design philosophy over

georly

I'm honestly expecting most if not all characters unlocked from the start, at least for new comers as Sakurai clearly wants to reveal all the newcomers on his terms. At worst I see a week before launch smash direct with a "warning all newcomers/secrets to be shown"

Of course if the gematsu leak is true then it really doesn't matter who is or isn't unlockable as we already know everyone

I'm expecting half to 1/3 to be unlockable. I also expect scanning the amiibo will unlock them automatically.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I play 3DS in bed and I play Wii U/PC otherwise. I will probably still play a little bit of smash 4 nightly if it manages to keep my interest.

I stopped trying to get all the trophies/stickers in brawl once I realized i'd have to keep playing through SSE to get some of them. If there is nothing that boring/tedious, i'll probably still play smash 3DS at night.

I got 100% on all systems so I can't just stop on 3DS. I gotta to 100% all Smash in the franchise! :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Now we have heard most of impressions about Smash 3DS.

How do everyone feel about Nintendo and Namco-Bandai split the teamworks on the 3DS and Wii U Version right now?

I wonder if we would have gotten more stages and characters if we didn't even split the works toward to two versions? Would we get Smash Run on Wii U if 3DS version didn't exists. vera via, vera via.

I'm petty sure that they took a time-saving method by downsizing/downgrading the models from Wii U to 3DS with same skeleton program, and all that.

I'm just curious what people would think about it but please don't turn it into wars tho.

georly

What's different about classic mode in this game? I don't remember if they said anything about it

I made some posts on it before:

Here's single player (classic/adventure mode!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwTi8mrDFgo#t=213

You bet like in kid icarus uprising:

1AxGmRI.png

Which changes the difficulty:

5KctJxQ.png

You can choose a path, presumably based on difficulty:

2KCGisT.png

You path determines your objective and opponent:

AIdWN1q.png

And the reward is randomized, also probably based on difficulty:

fuO67lH.png

Possible bonus rounds:
9hWLxAe.png
PvRv26d.png
vLrDbIf.png

JoeInky

Now we have heard most of impressions about Smash 3DS.

How do everyone feel about Nintendo and Namco-Bandai split the teamworks on the 3DS and Wii U Version right now?

I wonder if we would have gotten more stages and characters if we didn't even split the works toward to two versions? Would we get Smash Run on Wii U if 3DS version didn't exists. vera via, vera via.

I'm petty sure that they took a time-saving method by downsizing/downgrading the models from Wii U to 3DS with same skeleton program, and all that.

I'm just curious what people would think about it but please don't turn it into wars tho.

The more I hear about it the more I think it was a bad idea and it was just Nintendo panicking about maybe putting smash on a badly selling console.

The only thing I like about the 3DS version so far is that it means I'll be able to play smash bros. sooner, but the moment it comes out on the WiiU I'm going to devote all of my time to that trying to get better and start streaming competitive matches as well as becoming a TO.

I don't think we would have gotten smash run at all if not for the 3DS version which, while cool, isn't necessary in my eyes and we probably would have had a bigger roster if it was only the Wii U version.

There would definitely be more content in the WiiU version either way.

FSLink

Banned
So I can see this:

super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-new-challenger-approaching.gif

While it's nice to have everyone unlocked, I would miss the act of unlocking them very deeply. It's tradition at this point. I think a good compromise is to have all newcomers unlocked.

Tradition's not always a good thing. I know myself and a lot of other people would rather get to the VS matches with the full cast.

I really think they should allow a Rock Band type unlock system (temp code to unlock everything, if you want it permanently you have to do it the normal way), or maybe do a system connectivity thing with the 3DS version where you can unlock the entire Wii U cast right away if you unlocked them on the 3DS already.

I think it'd be foolish for Nintendo NOT to release it on 3DS considering it has a great userbase, but I do question them releasing it before the Wii U one.

georly

Tradition's not always a good thing. I know myself and a lot of other people would rather get to the VS matches with the full cast.

I really think they should allow a Rock Band type unlock system (temp code to unlock everything, if you want it permanently you have to do it the normal way), or maybe do a system connectivity thing with the 3DS version where you can unlock the entire Wii U cast right away if you unlocked them on the 3DS already.

I think it'd be foolish for Nintendo NOT to release it on 3DS considering it has a great userbase, but I do question them releasing it before the Wii U one.

Yup, I totally get the appeal of wanting to boot the game up w/ 3 friends and immediately pick anyone in the game. For some reason though, not being able to unlock things makes me, personally, sad. Even a cheat code/download code would lessen the satisfaction of unlocking characters, though only superficially. I dunno how to solve the issue and satisfy both sides.

I definitely get that having them all unlocked is only a slight disappointment to me while keeping characters locked can be a huge annoyance to you, as well. In reality, they probably SHOULD all be unlocked, but i'll definitely miss it.

(I still think there will be unlockable characters, though. At least the 4 original, if not more)

You know, it seems like Nintendo is blowing its load with this game roster-wise, come Smash 5 there won't be many characters left. Unless...

Nintendo buys Capcom. Boom! Smash 5 newcomers set. Ryu, Chun-Li, Arthur, Viewtiful Joe, Chris Redfield, Wesker, Amaterasu, etc.

SerodD

Yup, I totally get the appeal of wanting to boot the game up w/ 3 friends and immediately pick anyone in the game. For some reason though, not being able to unlock things makes me, personally, sad. Even a cheat code/download code would lessen the satisfaction of unlocking characters, though only superficially. I dunno how to solve the issue and satisfy both sides.

I definitely get that having them all unlocked is only a slight disappointment to me while keeping characters locked can be a huge annoyance to you, as well. In reality, they probably SHOULD all be unlocked, but i'll definitely miss it.

(I still think there will be unlockable characters, though. At least the 4 original, if not more)

They could get around this by unlocking everything for local mp from the start, but locking for single player and online, I guess.

You know, it seems like Nintendo is blowing its load with this game roster-wise, come Smash 5 there won't be many characters left. Unless...

Nintendo buys Capcom. Boom! Smash 5 newcomers set. Ryu, Chun-Li, Arthur, Viewtiful Joe, Chris Redfield, Wesker, Amaterasu, etc.

They still have a lot of franchises with zero playble charecters on smash, it probably won't be a problem for the next 2-3 smash games.

georly

No way it'll be 2 from SF/RE, at least not in smash 5. I also don't see any RE characters making it into smash bros.

There's plenty of characters for them to choose. I wouldn't mind seeing Amaterasu though. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom