• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, rather than the usual Chorus Men/Kids mixup that usually gives these things away, this faker got the Kids mixed up with a completely different character and then used the American name? AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Like I said earlier, Sheik is also spelled wrong.

Gilbals

Banned

5961.gif

I love how so many people spend the entire night complaining about and being saddened by the apparent lack of a PotD, and then go right back to bitching at Sakurai when it turns out to be something they don't want.

Today has been a nice reality check, I think, in terms of us taking the PotD for granted and how much fun it is even when the pic turns out to not be something super-exciting, like another menu pic. Even a non-hype pic of the day is preferable to no pic of the day, which we (almost) found out today!

Honestly, just take this:

ssb-finalrosterfcunj.png

And make the following changes:

- Wolf after Falco

- Mewtwo after Greninja

- Lucas after Ness

- Duck Hunt, R.O.B. and Ice Climber where Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina are

- Start bottom row with Shulk, followed by Dr. Mario and Dark Pit and Lucina, and then the third-parties, Mii Fighters and Random

Near-perfect roster.

I assume you're saying it's "near-perfect" because of the unacceptable lack of the Chorus Kids. :3

Honestly, just take this:

ssb-finalrosterfcunj.png

And make the following changes:

- Wolf after Falco

- Mewtwo after Greninja

- Lucas after Ness

- Duck Hunt, R.O.B. and Ice Climber where Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina are

- Start bottom row with Shulk, followed by Dr. Mario and Dark Pit and Lucina, and then the third-parties, Mii Fighters and Random

Near-perfect roster.
I'm okay with Wolf and Lucas, but do we really have to keep Dark Pit in?
Also: when you say "Ice Climber" do you mean only Popo or Nana, or was it just a mistake and you meant to say "Ice Climbers?"

I assume you call it "near-perfect" because of the unacceptable lack of the Chorus Kids. :3

I still don't get why people are upset by the lack of Chorus Kids. Had it not been for Gematsu, few people would've expected them, or any kind of Rhythm Heaven character.

Ryce

I still don't get why people are upset by the lack of Chorus Kids. Had it not been for Gematsu, few people would've expected them, or any kind of Rhythm Heaven character.
Honestly, you could pull the "had it not been for ____, few people would've ____" card for a lot of things. The point is that Gematsu did put the thought in our heads, and some of us have really warmed to the idea. They're cute, quirky characters from a relatively new and successful series. I didn't know I wanted them, but now I do.

zroid

Banned
Only thing Gematsu did was make me think the Chorus Kids might actually be plausible instead of merely an AT at best. Actually the fact there isn't a Rhythm Heaven AT despite it being one of Nintendo's most successful new IPs makes me believe in potential DLC even more.

I've been wanting a Rhythm Heaven character since before the game was announced!

That's completely true, but that doesn't change the fact that the Chorus Kids (or any Rhythm Heaven character) would be one of the most amazing, hypest additions ever (for those of us fortunate enough to have played the games and know how incredible they are, anyway).

I've wanted a RH character or stage in Smash for a long time, but I had given up on the idea of it ever happening until Gematsu said the Chorus Kids were coming. So it wasn't a completely foreign idea to me when Gematsu said it was happening, but it sure got me hyped.

I'm still keeping the faith...

Luqi

This Kotaku / Polygon bashing the Thumb pad using 2ch photos of really old 3DS is really absurd. It's so stupid it hurt my mind about how those sites are posting stuff like that... looks like they are butthurt the game is fun :s

instead of posting HEY GUYS SMASH 3DS IS REALLY FUN YOU SHOULD PLAY is like DONT PLAY NINTENDO YOU CAN BREAK YOUR SHIT.

Disappointing to say the least

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
H-hey, maybe that Donkey Kong Jr. rumor wasn't pulled out of thin air either? R-right? R-right?

Honestly, you could pull the "had it not been for ____, few people would've ____" card for a lot of things. The point is that Gematsu did put the thought in our heads, and some of us have really warmed to the idea. They're cute, quirky characters from a relatively new and successful series. I didn't know I wanted them, but now I do.

That's completely true, but that doesn't change the fact that the Chorus Kids (or any Rhythm Heaven character) would be one of the most amazing, hypest additions ever (for those of us fortunate enough to have played the games and know how incredible they are, anyway).

I've wanted a RH character or stage in Smash for a long time, but I had given up on the idea of it ever happening until Gematsu said the Chorus Kids were coming. So it wasn't a completely foreign idea to me when Gematsu said it was happening, but it sure got me hyped.

I'm still keeping the faith...

I just don't understand why people are upset about the lack of a wanted newcomer instead of just being disappointed.
It just seems like a Geno-type situation - people expected a character in and then got upset when they weren't playable. Not that I'm saying the Chorus Kids community is like the Geno community - at least one of them has some logic behind it (and it's not the one-time third party-owned puppet).
There's a difference between expectation and just wanting someone in, and I don't really think it's logical to expect any character in. A lot of the time, it will end in disappointment.

Ryce

I just don't understand why people are upset about the lack of a wanted newcomer instead of just being disappointed.
Upset - Make (someone) unhappy, disappointed, or worried.

But seriously, I know what you mean. I'm not exactly throwing a temper tantrum or anything, but I really think they would have made for a unique, interesting character, and I'm still holding out a sliver of hope that they'll be added as DLC. It certainly isn't the end of the world that they aren't in, though.

If you could describe most Smash Bros fans in one sentence...

To be fair, I'm still absolutely furious that stupid characters like Mega Man and Little Mac got in, but some of the most important Nintendo characters like WiiMote Safety Man didn't make it. He's been the most common character in all of the Wii's history, and yet he gets snubbed. Sakurai should just retire and let someone who is weaker to fan demand take his place.
ZikviGz.png

shaowebb

To be fair, I'm still absolutely furious that stupid characters like Mega Man and Little Mac got in, but some of the most important Nintendo characters like WiiMote Safety Man didn't make it. He's been the most common character in all of the Wii's history, and yet he gets snubbed. Sakurai should just retire and let someone who is weaker to fan demand take his place.
ZikviGz.png

ibm8JxIfrTRNFh.gif

emb

It just seems like a Geno-type situation - people expected a character in and then got upset when they weren't playable. Not that I'm saying the Chorus Kids community is like the Geno community - at least one of them has some logic behind it (and it's not the one-time third party-owned puppet).
There's a difference between expectation and just wanting someone in, and I don't really think it's logical to expect any character in. A lot of the time, it will end in disappointment.
Yeah, I think so too. There are some newcomers I wanted, but now that they aren't in, it's not even a thing. I've all but forgotten about the possibilities.

What is distressing is the lack of vets. I was really expecting Lucas, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Mewtwo. Those are the only ones I miss.

Think about it though - when was the last time you played a Wii game and didn't see WiiMote Safety Man smashing up his friends and furniture? This dude's reckless - and ready for some wrecking!
FRkTv6w.png

He's probably the most common Nintendo character to appear in their games, and yet Sakurai still completely ignores him.

Zero173

I haven't been able to keep up because of school work, but have people given their opinions of the demo yet? Or are we waiting for everyone to get a chance to play it? Is it in another thread?

I was just wondering what you guys thought about the characters in the demo.

For example, Link seems to be the best character in the demo in my opinion, and I think Megaman is a bit tricky, but can be used for some pretty neat stuff.

Exile20

ZikviGz.png

Honestly I would love "Safety Man" wrecking people with his Wiimote.

Peléo

Has anyone tried Tortimer Island as an legit starter stage? The only hazard seems to be the shark, which isn´t that much of a problem.

Think about it though - when was the last time you played a Wii game and didn't see WiiMote Safety Man smashing up his friends and furniture? This dude's reckless - and ready for some wrecking!
FRkTv6w.png

He's probably the most common Nintendo character to appear in their games, and yet Sakurai still completely ignores him.

His entire moveset would be mistakes with violent results.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm okay with Wolf and Lucas, but do we really have to keep Dark Pit in?
Also: when you say "Ice Climber" do you mean only Popo or Nana, or was it just a mistake and you meant to say "Ice Climbers?"

That's his opinion if he want to keep Dark PIt.

I know you have been outspoken about your opinions about Dark PIt. Yeah, We got it that you really hate Dark Pit's inclusion. Also I would like to mention that you are being biased with Lucina since she is even more clone than Dark Pit actually is according to people who had the games.

His entire moveset would be mistakes with violent results.

Honestly I would love "Safety Man" wrecking people with his Wiimote.

WiiMote Safety Man - Uses his WiiMote to battle. Has a random chance of throwing his WiiMote, which would cause significant damage to any characters hit by it, but at the same time would weaken him until he picked the WiiMote back up.
Final Smash: He launches the WiiMote towards the screen, causing it to crack. Any characters caught in the cracks will be damaged and launched.

Peléo;130158980 said:
Has anyone tried Tortimer Island as an legit starter stage? The only hazard seems to be the shark, which isn´t that much of a problem.

Doesn't that stage pick a random layout each time?

Scribble

I understand why fans are raging. Nintendo's rich history naturally lends itself to being obsessive compulsive about the Smash Bros roster. Nintendo has gone out of their way to promote, say Dixie, Ridley and Tingle as Nintendo allstars, so Smash feels incomplete without them and it's difficult to understand why Sakurai isn't in tune with that. Additions like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt and returning Sonic are amazing , but there's this niggling sense of say, Square adding Crono, Sora, and Torneko to Dissidia 3 plus every form of Lightning while forgetting Celes and Ramza. I should be very grateful, but...

That's his opinion if he want to keep Dark PIt.

I know you have been outspoken about your opinions about Dark PIt. Yeah, We got it that you really hate Dark Pit's inclusion. Also I would like to mention that you are being biased with Lucina since she is even more clone than Dark Pit actually is according to people who had the games.
Fine, fine. I'll stop.
As for Lucina: I mostly forget that she's in, because she was revealed a while back - and she doesn't look too much like Marth, while Doctor Mario is Mario in a doctor's outfit (I think), and Dark Pit is a recolor.
Same logic applies to Toon Link and Young Link - the former looks really different from Link, even if they do play quite similarly.
I know clones are just part of Smash, but I think Brawl did it better. The fact that these three clones are shoved off into the corner just shows that not too much effort was put in. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be bothered the three clones nearly as much if they had just been placed next to their series - the fact that they're isolated really makes their clone status stand out.

I understand why fans are raging. Nintendo's rich history naturally lends itself to being obsessive compulsive about the Smash Bros roster. Nintendo has gone out of their way to promote, say Dixie, Ridley and Tingle as Nintendo allstars, so Smash feels incomplete without them and it's difficult to understand why Sakurai isn't in tune with that. Additions like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt and returning Sonic are amazing , but there's this niggling sense of say, Square adding Crono, Sora, and Torneko to Dissidia 3 plus every form of Lightning while forgetting Celes and Ramza. I should be very grateful, but...

Tingle I think isn't in because he's one of those very few characters with an avid "hater-base."
Ridley
is big as shit
I'm not sure about.
Dixie is also a weird one - she was planned for Brawl, but we haven't seen any indication that she was planned this time around.
I'd really like to know exactly how Western characters (like Dixie) are factored in - so far, Diddy Kong is the only Western-created character to be in the game, even though characters like Krystal and Dixie have been fan-demanded.
Maybe that has something to do with the lack of Prime and Returns stages so far?

Scribble

Tingle I think isn't in because he's one of those very few characters with an avid "hater-base."
Ridley
is big as shit
I'm not sure about.
Dixie is also a weird one - she was planned for Brawl, but we haven't seen any indication that she was planned this time around.
I'd really like to know exactly how Western characters (like Dixie) are factored in - so far, Diddy Kong is the only Western-created character to be in the game, even though characters like Krystal and Dixie have been fan-demanded.
Maybe that has something to do with the lack of Prime and Returns stages so far?

Tingle having a hater-base (of GameFaqs and Youtube's comments crowd) is true, but it's all the more reason to include him in a fighting game.

The only explanation I can find for the exclusion of Dixie being an ugly female because she's a monkey.

Ridley would be a great addition because he's generic flying dragon thing and would stand out among such a colourful cast. Like Snake did. Sakurai's team with their inventive portrayal of unexpective fighters could design a memorable Ridley in their sleep, even if he was as as small as Pikachu. His Ridley could override Metroid's Ridley.

I have to admit though, K.Rool is the one prolific fan-favourite that I don't get. Despite his strong characterisation in DK's games and the tv series, I can't look past his design being a generic Bowser.

Peléo

I came up with this suggestion because of the lack of starter stages to pick from. Outside Battlefield, Yoshi Island and 50 different Final Destinations, there aren´t much more legit options. The ones which comes close, including Tortimer Island, are Tomodachi Life, Arena Ferox and Prism Tower. But still, they all have some kind of issue which can hinder competitive play.

Can't you eat the fruit to heal?

Forgot about this. Still, depending on the percentage healed, it might not harm that much the balance of the match.

Doesn't that stage pick a random layout each time?

Yes it does, but the patterns are mostly just variations of the ground, the position of the trees(plataforms) and from which side will Kapp (a third plataform) appear. Unless one of this patterns drastically favours one matchup, this randomness won´t bem a problem.

NeonZ

Tingle having a hater-base (of GameFaqs and Youtube's comments crowd) is true, but it's all the more reason to include him in a fighting game.

Tingle's negative perception was enough to pretty much get him removed from the Zelda series itself. I think that kills any chance of a playable Tingle in Smash.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member

I honestly thought Rhythm Heaven would be the Animal Crossing of this game when it was announced. YOU GET A STAGE AND ALL THESE ITEMS BUT NO CHARACTER.

It was also the first thing I assumed would be a shoe-in, would be a Rhythm Heaven stage as its so quirky enough that it would become an electroplankton style stage where you had to do things to stay in the rhythm, a very interesting gimmick.

I honestly thought Rhythm Heaven would be the Animal Crossing of this game when it was announced. YOU GET A STAGE AND ALL THESE ITEMS BUT NO CHARACTER.

It was also the first thing I assumed would be a shoe-in, would be a Rhythm Heaven stage as its so quirky enough that it would become an electroplankton style stage where you had to do things to stay in the rhythm, a very interesting gimmick.

Who knows? Sneaky Spirit was in Smash Run, so maybe we'll get a stage in the Wii U version?

The thing about 'hate-bases' factoring into characters not being playable comes off as a bit silly, especially now that we have the friggin' dog from Duck Hunt as a fighter. Who wouldn't want to beat the shit out of their most hated Nintendo character? That alone is like a hidden selling point in Smash, lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom