• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

PS:ABR should have just gone with health meters and a slow building special meter and the game would have been perfec... Well it'd have been a lot better.

Fiktion

Banned
If PSABR played just like Smash Bros., I would've been playing it. I know far too many people like that, and it's sad that they just steal Smash's "identity" but they didn't completely rip the gameplay formula.. What a bizarre decision IMO.

It sucks because I bet it would've done a lot better, but now we probably won't see a sequel.

They got too high on themselves, believed all the hype about their hardcore talents, and decided that they could do Smash better than Smash itself.

Like Icarus (not the Kid version) they dared to fly too close to the sun.

Thus the game ended up as a bloody splatter on the sidewalk.

J-Tier

The super system came about because they didn't want to outright copy Smash (there was a ton of outrage from the start-- simply for the game existing). Ironically, copying Smash would've made it a better game. Not sure if that would further enrage the "fans" though, since everyone called it plagiarism because a rival company made it (lets not name all the other "smash copies" who clearly stole the concept from Nintendo, and hurt their brand image).

Fiktion

Banned
(lets not name all the other "smash copies" who clearly stole the concept from Nintendo, and hurting their brand image).

Were there any besides that Konami thing?

The problem is, the only other company that has a potential roster that can compete with Nintendo is probably SEGA.

Riki

Zelda has a sword!
in her TP art I think lol

Fabulousness aside (lol) I think this is why we need MU from Fire Emblem. Sword and tome user. Have female and male alts. Boom.

Building a meter as the only way to "kill" and score. Who thought this was a good idea?

The same people that think Fat Princess is a Playstation All Star...

J-Tier

Were there any besides that Konami thing?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Smash Up and Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion.

Even then, it's hard to call it plagiarism when many genres spawned in such a manner where the next game "copied" the original.

The same people that think Fat Princess is a Playstation All Star...

I don't blame the devs for roster choice. They had slim pickings since Sony intended for it to be a budget title.

Drago

PSASBR was just a lot of wasted potential.

I found it hard to follow the characters (they blended really well with the BG lol). The super system was fun but it shouldn't have been the only way to KO other players... stock matches would go on FOREVER. Never ending, matches with friends sometimes went for more than 30 minutes! The UI was so unbelievably bland. The character selection could have been better - and the DLC was so mishandled. The fighting physics were passable but they never felt quite as satisfying as it does in Smash. I really enjoyed the concept of two franchises sharing a stage though - very original idea that I wouldn't mind seeing in Smash.

But somewhere under all of these problems is a quality game, one that could have been a great fighting title. As it was though... no dice. A PSASBR sequel that builds upon the first really could be something great. Too bad it'll never happen...

Oooh, we're on Pokemon roster discussions again?

I think it's going to be Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario and Mewtwo.

Like someone said earlier, Jigglypuff is not just a Pokemon icon, it's a Smash icon now. If I had to cut someone I'd want it to be Jigglypuff, but I can't deny that it looks like she's here to stay.

Pokemon Trainer is the main character of the series and Red is the most well known. The Kanto starters are the most iconic. They're not going anywhere. PT is also the first Pokemon character in the series to be unlocked from the start besides Pikachu.

The cry for Mewtwo can't be ignored, and it came back into relevance with not one but two Mega forms. I think it deserves to come back and hopefully be improved.

I don't think Lucario is going anywhere either. People try to dismiss it but Lucario's been relevant through all 3 gens so far. Lucario even replaced Zoroark on the Pokemon Sunday show, who originally replaced Lucario. Not only that, Lucario is getting a D-Arts figure, which is an honour that has been given to Mewtwo and the Kanto starters' final forms. Lucario is not just a fad Pokemon--it's extremely popular.

With the Pokemon Company trying to make Zoroark the next Lucario and failing at it, I doubt Zoroark's chances. I'd say it has a better shot of being a Poke Ball Pokemon. Trust me, I've grown to like Zoroark but I don't think any gen 5 or 6 Pokemon will be playable. Mega Mewtwo or Mega Lucario will rep generation 6 if anything.

Having another Pokemon Trainer in the roster would be way too much work and way too many Pokemon characters.
I agree with just about everything you said. I only disagree that I could see a newcomer for Pokemon. Considering its popularity it'd be awfully strange for it to not have a newcomer. The "Mario Universe" looks like it'll be about 20% of the roster, yes I know a lot of those characters have their own series but they're all in the same universe. I think having around 12% of representatives for Pokemon wouldn't be bad comparatively. It just depends on ideas Sakurai has for them. Here are the options I see:

Pokemon Trainer- could be rival, villian, champion, or protagonists from the various games. Best option, imo, would be a Female protagonist from one of the gens and she either has a set of starters from one gen or multiple gens. Cynthia would be a good option as she is one of the only recurring characters in the entire series but her signature pokes aren't that popular outside of Lucario.

Eevee- A pokemon that is still popular today and could represent gens 1, 2, 4 & 6. There could be a good and unique way to make it work such as maybe eevee works in sets of three. Down B could be the swap out between three sets of three for example Flareon, Jolteon & Vaporeon, Espeon, Umbreon & Sylveon, Eevee, Glaceon & Leafeon.

Blaziken- still popular today and would be well suited for Smash but there are better options. I also fear it'd become a faster Captain Falcon.

Zoroark- as mentioned it was a failed attempt to make another Lucario. However its still somewhat popular and its ability to transform could be interesting. It could have the ability to transform into any character on the roster but make it completely random so the player can't pick what character it could transform into. That's something I could see Sakurai doing.

Plusle & Minun- like Toon Zelda it'd never be suggested if it weren't for the Brawl data suggesting it might be a character. I don't see it as likely nor do I find it a good idea.

Evilisk

Building a meter as the only way to "kill" and score. Who thought this was a good idea?

When it come to timed FFA games, this system works.

There's no laming it out, if you don't fight you don't win (unlike in Smash where you can just wait it out and go for the kill). You also have to decide over building a bunch of level 1's or 2's and get consistent kills over the course of the match, or you bet it all on a level 3 which does take almost a whole match to build up and might get you the win as well.

It's when it comes to anything other than timed FFA's that it just doesn't work.

PS:ABR should have just gone with health meters and a slow building special meter and the game would have been perfec... Well it'd have been a lot better.

The game would have been broken if it were like that. There are some characters that would be way too dominating if the game were based around simply hitting the opponent and still letting them have supers as well? The game and in particular the character movesets are not balanced for this kind of play.

They got too high on themselves, believed all the hype about their hardcore talents, and decided that they could do Smash better than Smash itself.

Like Icarus (not the Kid version) they dared to fly too close to the sun.

Thus the game ended up as a bloody splatter on the sidewalk.

Are we even talking about the same devs.

Superbot were pretty damn cool. They did a bunch of cool stuff for some people (like giving away that free PS3 and a couple of games to that fan who was interested in PSASBR but never owned a PS3 before) and they were never even as remotely as arrogant as you are making them out to be.

If anything, it was about the opposite as they were a bunch of enthusiastic devs (with some even mentioning this was a dream project to work on) tackling a big concept but were screwed over by bad budgets and picky license owners (see, Sucker Punch wanting two Coles, pretty much all of the 3rd party characters besides Heihachi etc.)

Fiktion

Banned
Superbot were pretty damn cool. They did a bunch of cool stuff for some people (like giving away that free PS3 and a couple of games to that fan) and they were never even as remotely as arrogant as you are making them out to be.
I never said they weren't nice people.

If anything, it was about the opposite as they were tackling a big concept but were screwed over by bad budgets and picky license owners (see, Sucker Punch wanting two Coles, pretty much all of the 3rd party characters besides Heihachi etc.)

We're talking about gameplay here.

Drago

I felt so bad for Superbot. You can tell that they wanted to do so much more with the game but just about everything was out of their favor. Especially when it came to 3rd party inclusions...

God, they were mostly so bad :(

Evilisk

If you keep building strawmen I'm going to just ignore you.

Well what's this about then?

They did hype up some of their talent (like having some FG players like Maj and Clockwork) but "doing Smash better than Smash itself"?

Rumors might be my favorite part of the pre-Smash release cycle, especially the super outlandish ones.

That new GameFAQs one is weak!

Yeah, it's a lot of fun deducing how likely and plausible it is while pining for one to be real. I mean, one of the recent one posted on the Tumblr that had K. Rool, Ridley, Shulk, Dillon, AND Ghirahim. It'd be awesome sure, but it falls into "Too Good to Be True" territory. While others seem to fall more into just plain uninformed craziness with cuts and replacements galore.

It's all fun though.

You know can we talk about possible Dragon Quest rep? Yeah the likelihood is pretty damn low, on the other hand, I'm surprised S-E and Nintendo don't work something out to help give the series a little boost in exposure and popularity.

Plus I know the idea of throwing someone like Goku into the roster has been a bit of a running joke. But I was looking at this Japan-only Wii game called Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road Victory (*exhale*). A lot of Final Smash material here regardless on who you want. What's funy is how crazy and over-the-top it is. Like the developers said, "Hey since the characters look like DBZ characters (obviously) let's make the special attacks just as crazy looking!" Even if you want to go the mascot route with Slime, even he has a good one waiting to go

Just a random thought, I didn't know about this game until the other day when a video popped up randomly in my related/recommended videos.

Fiktion

Banned
So you think that, as opposed to shamelessly ripping them off as the Cartoon Network game did, that their choice to do something not entirely the same, meant they were trying to outdo Smash?
Well if you prefer to believe that they deliberately pursued what they knew would be an inferior system, be my guest.

When it come to timed FFA games, this system works.

There's no laming it out, if you don't fight you don't win (unlike in Smash where you can just wait it out and go for the kill). You also have to decide over building a bunch of level 1's or 2's and get consistent kills over the course of the match, or you bet it all on a level 3 which does take almost a whole match to build up and might get you the win as well.

It's when it comes to anything other than timed FFA's that it just doesn't work.

The game would have been broken if it were like that. There are some characters that would be way too dominating if the game were based around simply hitting the opponent and still letting them have supers as well? The game and in particular the character movesets are not balanced for this kind of play.

Are we even talking about the same devs.

Superbot were pretty damn cool. They did a bunch of cool stuff for some people (like giving away that free PS3 and a couple of games to that fan who was interested in PSASBR but never owned a PS3 before) and they were never even as remotely as arrogant as you are making them out to be.

If anything, it was about the opposite as they were a bunch of enthusiastic devs (with some even mentioning this was a dream project to work on) tackling a big concept but were screwed over by bad budgets and picky license owners (see, Sucker Punch wanting two Coles, pretty much all of the 3rd party characters besides Heihachi etc.)

Obviously I realize the game couldn't just have an hp system patched in and magically be fixed (this isn't sim city), I'm going under the assumption that had the game been developed with an hp system for kills instead of the supers only it'd be balanced differently.

PSASBR was just a terrible case of wasted potential. The stages were all very neat aesthetically, the characters all played pretty true to their games (almost to a fault with some of the more "regular" characters like Drake), and it just had so much going for it.

It's a shame it was subject to so much executive meddling. And it's even more of a shame that the game ended up trying to be "unique" - we've yet to have a truly good Smash Bros. clone, so that market is completely open. If they had just copied the Smash Bros. formula and been more diligent about keeping things balanced for competitive play, they would have had their own niche. And, for that matter, Nintendo would have some incentive to take advantage of the tournament scene themselves. But alas...

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to cry because the Journey/Gravity Rush stage was never released.

J-Tier

Well if you prefer to believe that they deliberately pursued what they knew would be an inferior system, be my guest.

I'm not using this as an argument against, just gonna comment on what I know.

I recall Omar saying that he was surprised by the enormous amount of negativity towards the game and how that shaped their decisions to placate the accusers. "Title Fight" (pre-alpha) was probably a lot closer to Smash than the results.

Camjo-Z

PSAS would have been as good as Smash if Sony had let the game be properly balanced instead of forcing it to be based solely around FFA, which is inherently chaotic. Can't wait to see if they actually get things right with the final balance patch.

The super system was fun but it shouldn't have been the only way to KO other players... stock matches would go on FOREVER. Never ending, matches with friends sometimes went for more than 30 minutes!

If your matches were lasting 30 minutes then you were all probably playing really poorly and blowing numerous Level 1 supers instead of saving up for surefire Level 3 supers. Not really the game's fault there.

PSAS would have been as good as Smash if Sony had let the game be properly balanced instead of forcing it to be based solely around FFA, which is inherently chaotic. Can't wait to see if they actually get things right with the final balance patch.

If your matches were lasting 30 minutes then you were all probably playing really poorly and blowing numerous Level 1 supers instead of saving up for surefire Level 3 supers. Not really the game's fault there.

Sony isn't the only one who needs to realize this....

Drago

Well... you're not exactly wrong ;p

That reminds me, the characters were pretty awfully balanced, at least from my experience (if there were balance patches I don't believe I played with em - I never got around to getting my own copy, everyone just used the one disc). I don't think any one of us lost a match when we used Kratos or Raiden.

We probably all sucked at this game though tbh, hah. We had our share of fun good times with the game. It just could have and should have been so much more

MisterHero

speaking of riffs on smash bros. nintendo should get into a deal with nickelodeon and whoever owns the tmnt game license so 1980s Raphael can appear

rob paulsen was in brawl as grey fox

Camjo-Z

Well... you're not exactly wrong ;p

That reminds me, the characters were pretty awfully balanced, at least from my experience (if there were balance patches I don't believe I played with em - I never got around to getting my own copy). I don't think any one of us lost a match when we used Kratos or Raiden

They definitely were not balanced at all. Unfortunately my favorite character (Sir Dan) was the worst of the worst, but I've come to expect this since every time I play a fighting game, the characters I'm drawn to suck.

MSH vs SF: "Norimaro and Dan are hilarious! They ought to be great!"
MvC2: "Jill, Roll, and Servbot look cool! I'll surely beat everyone with them!"
UMvC3: "Wow, Wright seems fun! Spider-Man and Hsien-Ko too!"
SFxT: "Toro and Mega Man will be my mains! Nya!"

I think Smash Bros. is the only series where the opposite happens. I played Meta-Knight, Diddy, and Olimar before they were cool!

Evilisk

I don't think that they knew it would be an inferior system during development and while yes, we do know now it is an inferior system with the way it's been implemented, that is because that is simply because that is the way it turned out (I honestly believe that the super system can work with the right tweaks and changes, but that's for another topic).

Saying that their choice to not be exactly like Smash is because they want to outdo Smash, when the developers themselves haven't outright said that it is because of that, is kind of ridiculous. Especially when you have games like Jump Super/Ultimate Stars or TMNT Smash Up running around that also don't outright copy Smash and use the formula in different ways (TMNT has additional health in addition to ring outs, Jump Stars has assists, ring outs, health, character switching etc.)

Fiktion

Banned
I don't think that they knew it would be an inferior system... Saying that their choice to not be exactly like Smash is because they want to outdo Smash, when the developers themselves haven't outright said that it is because of that, is kind of ridiculous.

What.

Either they thought their different, distinct system would be an improvement, or they didn't. This is a binary choice. You believe one or the other.

Evilisk

What.

Either they thought their different, distinct system would be an improvement, or they didn't. This is a binary choice. You believe one or the other.

Why does their difference choice mean they thought it would an improvement?

They can't think that a certain system just might work better for their game? (Of course it didn't end up being that way, but that's not the point)

They didn't have to think that their game was specifically going to be an improvement on the Smash formula for them to go with the choice that they picked.

Fiktion

Banned
Why does their difference choice mean they thought it would an improvement?

Because I assume that they were trying to make the best game they could. Radical assumption, I know.

They overreached, they got burned. That's what happened.

They didn't have to think that their game was specifically going to be an improvement on the Smash formula for them to go with the choice that they picked.
I'm sorry but this is just mental gymnastics. From the beginning of this exchange you've been stanning Superbot so hard you barely paused to read what I actually wrote. I get the distinct impression that you are arguing just for the sake of arguing, and I am now ending my participation in that process.

Zalman

PSASBR was just a lot of wasted potential.

I found it hard to follow the characters (they blended really well with the BG lol). The super system was fun but it shouldn't have been the only way to KO other players... stock matches would go on FOREVER. Never ending, matches with friends sometimes went for more than 30 minutes! The UI was so unbelievably bland. The character selection could have been better - and the DLC was so mishandled. The fighting physics were passable but they never felt quite as satisfying as it does in Smash. I really enjoyed the concept of two franchises sharing a stage though - very original idea that I wouldn't mind seeing in Smash.

But somewhere under all of these problems is a quality game, one that could have been a great fighting title. As it was though... no dice. A PSASBR sequel that builds upon the first really could be something great. Too bad it'll never happen...
I agree the game had some problems and it was definitely low-budget, but I actually enjoyed it for what it was. I'm also a huge fan of PlayStation and its history, so that's probably why. That said, it's not nearly as good as Smash Bros., but I think they knew that already.

PsychBat!

Banned
PSASBR was just a terrible case of wasted potential. The stages were all very neat aesthetically, the characters all played pretty true to their games (almost to a fault with some of the more "regular" characters like Drake), and it just had so much going for it.

It's a shame it was subject to so much executive meddling. And it's even more of a shame that the game ended up trying to be "unique" - we've yet to have a truly good Smash Bros. clone, so that market is completely open. If they had just copied the Smash Bros. formula and been more diligent about keeping things balanced for competitive play, they would have had their own niche. And, for that matter, Nintendo would have some incentive to take advantage of the tournament scene themselves. But alas...

My friends and I played the beta online for hours and all of us thought it should've played more like Smash. I didn't like that I had to press a button for jumping, I've always liked using the analog stick.
That was my major gripe with the game, not a valid complaint I know.

Not

Banned
Holy cow, when did people start hating on Ghirahim so fiercely

I must have missed that critical change in opinion

Masked Man

I said wow
It'd also be cool to see more Earthbound (or Mother 3) characters make cameos. The camera man could be a neat assist trophy.

EarthBound_Fuzzy_Pickles_stamp_by_MythicPhoenix.png

I support this idea 100%--especially if his theme song plays when he appears on screen.

There's a lot of people that work at Namco Bandai and yet have completely conflicting stories.

My favorite was the guy who (allegedly) got fired for watching porn at work and occasionally posted in offensively incomprehensible Japanese.

Evilisk

Because I assume that they were trying to make the best game they could. Radical assumption, I know.

They overreached, they got burned. That's what happened.

I'm sorry but this is just mental gymnastics. From the beginning of this exchange you've been stanning Superbot so hard you barely paused to read what I actually wrote. I get the distinct impression that you are arguing just for the sake of arguing, and I am now ending my participation in that process.

Alright fine, let's agree to disagree.

You can think that, of the last few games to come out of this genre (shocking, I know! but mascot fighters are an actual genre, even if in the current state it is in, it lives and will die by Smash if nothing changes) that somehow the game that plays the least like Smash, was the one with this Icarus complex that was trying to surpass Smash, dethrone it and send it hurtling to the abyss of who knows where, despite no claims being made from themselves.

No, they definitely had to have been vying so hard for that delicious Smash crown, there is no way that it could have been as simple or as innocent as thinking the super system might have been a better fit for Sony's set of characters and IP's. No, even from the first first leaks, it was so readily apparent that from Superbot's lips came this craving fluid that craved only the musk, the malt and the mellow touch of Sakurai's crown, and nothing else but that.

But you're right, like the Titanic, like Kratos as the God of War, like Romeo and Juliet, they were truly deceived by their delusions, and the reality struck them like a bolt from the heavens, just as it sent the Titanic, Kratos and the starcrossed lovers, into an iceberg, Hades and the afterlife, respectively. It was time to face reality, and the cold harsh reality for those of ambitions and large though unfulfilled dreams, it is back to the pavement shared by those similarly who have flown to closely to the Sun.

I'm joking past first paragraph btw. I am definitely done, I can only agree to disagree.

Pic of the day could show up any minute now. Hopefully we get another picture of Dedede
with Ridley obscured in the background.

Top Bottom