• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Brothers for Wii U squandered its best idea

SephLuis

For casual sets, no problem. You can have your own character and let him/her go against the world.

But for competitive matches ? Hell no. It would take balancing to a new level of nightmare.
Since you cannot predict how a player will create his/her set, the balancing of hundreds of parts is night impossible. Unless the alterations are minimal (see SFxTK).

The imagination wasn't exactly there for 75% of the customs, faster but less damaging version of attack, slower yet more damaging version, job done!
Some of the older characters in particular could've really benefited and got freshened up, like Kirby could've busted out different copy abilities, Samus making greater use of her wide arsenal, Donkey Kong having some more stuff from his actual games.

Also killed half the fun of one of my most wanted characters, Default Palutena is functional yet boring, the only plus is that she's like the one character whose counter actually feels well balanced....in a roster with a bazillion counters, each more potent than the last culminating in Corrin.

Rathorial

The randomized rewards made were what ruined custom moves in me for Smash Bros. It takes forever to acquire them next to all the cosmetic crap I couldn't care less about, and the modes to get them quickest often involved just playing by yourself. I'd much rather just get rewards for playing matches with friends like I want, because that's where the series is best.

I hate the fact that they're so hard to unlock. No real way of getting them reliably of you're shooting to get moved for specific characters. Sakurai should've put in a custom move shop to buy them using the coins.

I just remembered that I hadn't bumped this topic to answer my own question of how Injustice 2 would be, after they revealed the details.

injustice-2-abilities.jpg

You can in fact choose new or altered special moves, however they can only be used together with the main Gear system, which means dealing with damage and health modifications too.

Obviously most fans of existing fighting games are resistant to stats and leveling up affecting their experience, so because Abilities are tied to the overall Gear system, their use is limited to a subset of modes, including single player and un-ranked online.

Which is a real shame, because several of the more interesting and fun looking special moves characters have are Abilities.

And similar to Smash, they are unlockables that you get at random.

Here's hoping Seth Killian returns with a new fighting game that really goes hard on the player moveset customization aspect, where it's a core gameplay feature that can't be avoided by change resistant fighting game traditionalists, and handles them in a way that's convenient for local play and live events.

They probably listened to feedback from people who play Injustice or Mortal Kombat competitively and I can acertain you that nobody likes customizable characters for a number of reasons. You'd be getting a completely unpredictable character every time you fought, which would make training for match-ups really useless or too much time consuming, potentially killing any serious effort from players. Secondly, they're usually unbalanced. It's already hard enough to balance a character, but balance their alternate moves too would be a nightmare.

Honestly I'd prefer if this kind of stuff was kept away from competitive fighting games.

The customs being unlockables were what killed them in the competitive scene mostly, well early on at least.

I dont mind Palutena since I still main and like default set (customs are amazing though).

I feel bad for the Miis though...

EDIT: this was a necro bump, jesus......

trixx

Don't most of the top Sm4sh players despise customs because they too janky and requires them to learn more match ups?

this is the main reason why. Smash 4 is already pretty random for a fighter, and customs makes the game even more random.

Just makes the game even more "party game" from a competitive perspective

Exactly what SephLuis and Mutsukki have posted. It's way to problematic from a competitive perspective.

Oidisco

The customs being unlockables were what killed them in the competitive scene mostly, well early on at least.

I dont mind Palutena since I still main and like default set (customs are amazing though).

I feel bad for the Miis though...

EDIT: this was a necro bump, jesus......

To be honest even if they were easy to unlock they probably still would've been banned.

Adaren

When I saw the thread title, I instantly knew that it would be about custom moves.

There should have been a way to buy Custom Moves with gold, and there should have been a way to customize them from the character select screen (in the same way that you can enter a new name). More than anything else, I hope that the Switch port gives Custom Moves the attention they deserve.

One of the things I was excited about was to see what kind of custom moves they came up with for Mewtwo. And they just didn't bother.

Some of the custom moves could've taken the place of the defaults and made for a way fresher Smash 4 experience.

I'm of the opinion that the feature exists primarily because Sakurai wanted it for Palutena, and basically everyone else but the Miis were a secondary thought.

Piers

One of the things I was excited about was to see what kind of custom moves they came up with for Mewtwo. And they just didn't bother.

Some of the custom moves could've taken the place of the defaults and made for a way fresher Smash 4 experience.

I'm of the opinion that the feature exists primarily because Sakurai wanted it for Palutena, and basically everyone else but the Miis were a secondary thought.

It's likely been said before but having real, actual new moves instead of slight alternates means we may as well have a new character. Brand new custom moves for Sonic would be cooler on Classic Sonic instead, for instance.

Pizza

Should've had custom moves locked behind a game of Classic mode on any difficulty. And made classic mode just a fucking arcade mode.

That would've been easy enough to get for everyone, or at least your mains. Should've been unlocked for online and (a functional) tourney mode by default. Or just had them unlocked.

Enabling custom moves would have had you choose Mario, then your 1/4 of the CSS could have had three pictures with the title of each default move, and let you swap one at a time by choosing them. Would have made custom moves fluid and accessible and you could have changed between rounds.

Looooots of dev time and thought went into those moves where it could have been spent on another character or two (or a stage toggle button) and they blew it.

Sm4sh is so lucky that it plays well, because everything outside the characters is t r a s h. All the good stages are locked on 3DS while Ice Climbers were cut for pairity lol

I'd be okay with custom moves being completely dumped in Smash 5 outside of the Miis. Palutena deserves some actual character design work instead of being a poorly made character with a dumb gimmick that another set of characters already do much better. And so many of the custom moves are dumb janky shit that's completely out of character, like Donkey Kong electrifying people and Mario throwing straight shooting fireballs. They fly right in the face of Smash Bros. being about established characters. And expending a bunch of extra development into making actual in-character unique moves for every character is just not feasible, so just dump it all together.

J@hranimo

Banned
Really think they should have had an easier way to unlock them.

It took me over a month to get all custom moves playing the various modes. Not everyone has that time to do so!

L Thammy

You're right, they didn't do nearly enough with Smash Run. We desperately needed new stages and a single player version with bosses and shit.

I didn't care whether competitive Smash adopted custom moves or not, its still fun to watch.

The big issue is how you get them. Its easier to get them on 3DS for one, and the fact that you couldn't transfer the ones you did unlock to the Wii U version was baffling. I still don't have most of the moves on Wii U unlike the 3DS version, and Im positive that will always be the case because I am not going to farm them less efficiently, a second time. Don't even get me started on the fact that you can get duplicates for some asinine reason. The DLC characters don't have any so you know the devs themselves probably just don't care enough. I see it not being present in 5, and hopefully all unlocked or easier to ulock in a Deluxer version of 4.

Top Bottom