• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supercell achieved $2.3B in revenue and earnings of $964m in 2015

This comes after their announcement of 100m DAU

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-09-supercells-2015-financials-impress

Supercell has revealed selected financial results for 2015. The company achieved €2,109 million ($2,326 million) in GAAP revenue in 2015, and earnings (before interest, tax, depreciation, and amortization) of €848 million ($964 million).

Supercell's CEO Ilkka Paananen gave the following statement:

"These financial results are of course great and we are very proud of them. However, the real highlight for us is how we've been able to get here while staying true to our founding vision that was all about people. We believed that if we bring together the best people, create the best possible environment for them, then with enough time and some luck, some great games will follow. Games that millions of people around the world will want to play for years and years."

"Despite the financial success, we have been able to keep the company relatively small. Today we are 180 people where most people know each other by name, and where people work in small and independent teams, in a zero bureaucracy environment."

"I am incredibly proud of our people whose passion for excellence has led to this success. They set the bar extremely high for themselves and want to make the best games possible. I am so lucky to be able to work with them, and in an environment like this."

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/09/w...e-924m-in-profits-on-2-3b-in-revenue-in-2015/

There’s something magical in the water, or the snow, in Finland. Helsinki-based Supercell announced some astounding financial results for 2015 based on revenues from its three hit mobile games: Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, and Hay Day.

The company made profits (before certain items) of €848 million, or $964 million, on revenues of €2.109 billion, or $2.326 billion. That compares to earnings before income tax, depreciation, and amortization of €515 million, or $592 million, in 2014, on revenues of €1.545 billion, or $1.777 billion.

Clash of Clans, which debuted in August, 2012, accounted for the bulk of that revenue, though Supercell didn’t say how much. The game was ranked at either No. 1 or No. 2 during the course of 2015 on the top-grossing list. It’s not official, but pretty clear, that Clash of Clans is the most successful app in the world.

The company also paid a dividend of €14 ($15.50) per share, resulting in a total dividend payout of €603 million, or $669 million. Supercell also initiated a share buyback scheme from its employees amounting to €114 million, or $128 million, in the past year.

That’s an incredible financial result for a company with just 180 employees. And 2016 is off to a good start, as Supercell’s Clash Royale has take the No. 1 spots in top downloads and top-grossing games in the U.S. Apple app store.

artsi

At least some companies are making good money in this country. Well done and hopefully they can keep it up. At least they have better chances than Rovio with their one hit wonder.

Shun

I thought this was the band at first and was amazed that they were able to even get that much money like damn....

Then I realized it is the SoftBank owned mobage.

Softbank and Gung Ho made a huge asset by buying out supercell.

RustyO

Thats crazy money. I'm in the wrong game.... Should stop other stuff and concentrate on game development
mi-goreng noodles here I come

I've never played any of their games, and only just watched a 7 minute review now... might go read up a bit about them.

In 2014 they had revenue of $2.26 billion, so around the same (back then) but with smaller profits. They have 1400 employees now which is huge compared to 180 of Supercell.

Yeah, looked at their wiki page. That's pretty good, hah. There's still no 2015 results or with ActiBlizz acquisition that's goign to change?

I thought this was the band at first and was amazed that they were able to even get that much money like damn....

Then I realized it is the SoftBank owned mobage.

lol

How does this compare to EA, Activision and such?

Well according to wiki profit seems to be comparable, revenue is ~50% less?

I've been trying out Clash of Clans for a couple of weeks now, while it's pretty neat it blows my mind that people are actually spending money on it.

I've been trying out Clash of Clans for a couple of weeks now, while it's pretty neat it blows my mind that people are actually spending money on it.

Give it time, the delays get worse. You either spend money or wait 2-3 weeks for some upgrades. I stopped playing and deleted it after about 18 months. I didn't spend any money on it though.

I was patient but by the time i'd deleted it i was fed up.

I always wonder if there is some elaborate money laundering thing going on but I always hit a brick wall. The tin foil is strong in this one.

zelas

How does this compare to King btw?

How does this compare to EA, Activision and such?

This data from 2014 should give you a general idea.

Newzoo_Top10_Public_Companies_Game_Revenues_FY2014_v2.png

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/20/gamings-top-25-public-companies-generated-54-1-billion-in-revenue-last-year/

Longsword

They also moved about 1 billion dollars cash forward to net year (separate from the 960 million profit), and paid 600 million dividend, so in reality they cleared far more than 2.3 billion this year.

Puts them well ahead of Ubisoft, TakeTwo, and many other giants. Not too shabby.

Clash Royale looks like a giga-level hit, so their revenue should start threatening EA next year I think.

Detailed financial news (in Finnish, sorry):

http://www.talouselama.fi/uutiset/s...talo-takoi-2-1-miljardin-liikevaihdon-6391684

So that's how they could afford making their ad the only one on Youtube.
They put their logo up front for several seconds. Don't recall other mobile game ads being that keen on pushing the company brand.

Give it time, the delays get worse. You either spend money or wait 2-3 weeks for some upgrades. I stopped playing and deleted it after about 18 months. I didn't spend any money on it though.

I was patient but by the time i'd deleted it i was fed up.

With waits of 2-3 weeks I imagine I'd just stop playing it altogether as well, lol. It's been interesting to experience, but these kinds of games are clearly not for me.

_machine

Those that aren't aware of the how in making of these hits should probably find interesting that to make these 4 successful titles they have actually canned at least 14 games (which unfortunately is a luxury that AAA publishers seem to be unavailable to do). And that a big part of the talent has worked in the mobile game industry since the early 2000s.

Halcyon

I was into Clash and Boom Beach. I still occasionally check my Boom Beach account. I think they're really good games for the most part. I accidentally got my father addicted to it though. I think he was spending lots of money on it.

"The company also paid a dividend of €14 ($15.50) per share, resulting in a total dividend payout of €603 million, or $669 million."

Holyshit

Apathy

Sometimes I feel bad for people that work in the industry and see numbers like this from a handful of companies in the mobile space and decide they want to go get some of that sweet mobile cash, and dump a lot of time and money of their own hoping to hit it big just to find out that it really is just these few top games that can hit this level of success while everyone else struggles over a few scraps. These big guys are good at keeping their whales and making sure they funnel their whales into other products they make. Supercell makes it huge, but Joe Everyman by himself gets drowned out by the hundreds of thousands of crapware and full on copies that litter app stores.

Top Bottom