• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHYPERCUBE cancels Oculus support

Majukun

they are entitled to give their support to whoever they want,but usually mixing politics and business is not a safe way to do ,well,business

For most devs I do not care what they do but from my childhood one of the devs I have respected the most has always been Insomniac games.

If they continue to support Occulus then I'm not sure I can continue with that affection for the studio. Their statement suggesting that many of the employees they work with do not share his views is irritating to read.

Verelios

they are entitled to give their support to whoever they want,but usually mixing politics and business is not a safe way to do ,well,business
Lol, even by that standard supporting Oculus isn't conducive to business unless they're okay being associated with Palmer

Fliesen

if a business man funds politics with his business money - i'd actually dare to say it's them who started "mixing politics and business"

Majukun

if a business man funds politics with his business money - i'd actually dare to say it's them who started "mixing politics and business"
for what i understood he did it with his personal money (of course earned through the company), it's not oculus funding .
Might have got the story wrong though

BTA

Nice to see. Hopefully more follow suit.

That being said: I don't necessarily have bad feelings towards any dev who continues to release on Oculus, given that they gotta get paid. If it's because they don't care about what he said, though... that's a little different.

It's sad people that ignorant can even vote and affect the future of this country when they treat that responsibility like they are voting for fucking American Idol.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an entire generation of entitled assholes like Palmer and some of the idiots in here who throw away their vote on Trump "4 the lulz" because their "privelaged asses" have nothing to lose.

Lol the funny part is americans like you actually THINK your vote matters spoiler it does not

Also just lol at that bolded part little bit of a sneaky rasist remark dont ya think?

UrbanRats

At this point, supporting Oculus becomes a political decision.

I can see smaller indies dropping support, even beyond the political reason, as an indie developer you can use some good will/press from stuff like that.
Bigger publishers like Ubisoft though, i don't think they'll be dropping Oculus support for this (it'd be interesting to see tho).

It'd be easier if Oculus had distanced themselves more strongly than they did with their "well, he's free to do whatever" talk.
After all, a company is made up of tens, if not hundreds of people, it'd be unjust to bring them all down because of one man.
Unfortunately, they didn't do that (yet) so it's not looking good.

I have to question what purpose does Luckey even serves for the company though, i feel like it'd be pretty painless for them to throw him under the bus and save face.
I'll not be surprised to see him disappear from the public scene forever after this.

thegoosen

Neo Member
This step made me actually check that game out, because I didn't know anything about it before. One of the few VR games I would like to experience myself.

UrbanRats

Unless we get some EA or Ubisoft giant, don't think it'll lead to anything.

So far, VR is very much living and dying on Indie support.
Big game companies have next to nothing out and very little announced for it (does EA even have anything beyond the Star Wars cockpit thing?).
I mean the VR market is very small in the first place, so i'm not sure what impact it will have, but nevertheless, if you're a VR company selling headsets, you still don't want to lose the little support you're getting, which comes mostly from indies.

For most devs I do not care what they do but from my childhood one of the devs I have respected the most has always been Insomniac games.

If they continue to support Occulus then I'm not sure I can continue with that affection for the studio. Their statement suggesting that many of the employees they work with do not share his views is irritating to read.
What if they have a multi game contract they're obligated to fulfill?

BTA

Lol the funny part is americans like you actually THINK your vote matters spoiler it does not

Also just lol at that bolded part little bit of a sneaky rasist remark dont ya think?

In some states it matters more than others. Also: what? Gonna guess honest typo or making fun of the 4channers, not mocking... actually, I'm not even sure what group you are trying to say they were being racist towards.

I can see smaller indies dropping support, even beyond the political reason, as an indie developer you can use some good will/press from stuff like that.
Bigger publishers like Ubisoft though, i don't think they'll be dropping Oculus support for this (it'd be interesting to see tho).

It'd be easier if Oculus had distanced themselves more strongly than they did with their "well, he's free to do whatever" talk.
After all, a company is made up of tens, if not hundreds of people, it'd be unjust to bring them all down because of one man.
Unfortunately, they didn't do that (yet) so it's not looking good.

I have to question what purpose does Luckey even serves for the company though, i feel like it'd be pretty painless for them to throw him under the bus and save face.
I'll not be surprised to see him disappear from the public scene forever after this.

It's not easier for indie devs to drop Oculus. They'd get good will for doing so, maybe, but VR is a niche and if their game is VR-only, I can't fault them for having to release on everything they can. Bigger devs have more freedom so it's them I'm looking more at, especially as they obviously can have a larger impact on Facebook/Oculus, but they can also have contracts that prevent them from saying/doing anything satisfying.

Capitalism sucks.

Tell me, what is productive about calling half of America racist? You don't educate people by insulting them. Do you tell little kids that they are stupid because they have trouble with long division? Or do you phrase it in a different manner that encourages them to continue developing?
"Educate"? These people know damn well what they are doing, they aren't ignorant to the harm they cause, in fact they revel on it lmao

This really sucks as an owner of the headset. Luckey's unacceptable behavior has basically torpedoed the employees of Oculus and all owners of the headset. His shit behavior is screwing people over now.

Feel like it's time to ditch this thing and move over to the Vive. :-/
Considering the company came out to say "good for him", I'm not going to cry for them.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's not easier for indie devs to drop Oculus

When people say "drop oculus" they mean "do not publish on the oculus store or use the oculus API." Despite your claim, it's actually much easier for Devs to do this, because the implied alternative to "dropping the oculus store and the oculus API" is to embrace OSVR, OpenVR, or SteamVR, all of which include the oculus rift marketshare plus the other headsets.

The point you were arguing about needing to hit as many people as possible is true and well reasoned, but "dropping oculus" does that, not sticking by them.

Kurdel

Banned
Tell me, what is productive about calling half of America racist? You don't educate people by insulting them. Do you tell little kids that they are stupid because they have trouble with long division? Or do you phrase it in a different manner that encourages them to continue developing?

These people take the very concept of privilege as an insult, I doubt they can be reasoned with without beeing fundamentaly butthurt or insulted.

BTA

When people say "drop oculus" they mean "do not publish on the oculus store or use the oculus API." Despite your claim, it's actually much easier for Devs to do this, because the implied alternative to "dropping the oculus store and the oculus API" is to embrace OSVR, OpenVR, or SteamVR, all of which include the oculus rift marketshare plus the other headsets.

The point you were arguing about needing to hit as many people as possible is true and well reasoned, but "dropping oculus" does that, not sticking by them.

This is a good point! Though I still think it applies more going forward; switching APIs may be trouble depending on how far into a project a team is. (Also, publishing on the store may help get eyes on your game? But that's only a maybe, so...)

Krejlooc

Banned
switching APIs may be trouble depending on how far into a project a team is.

the vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority of VR development is done using either Unity or UE4. Switching your VR API for those engines is as easy as selecting one or the other from a drop down menu. These engines are abstracted enough that you will never see individual calls to the appropriate APIs themselves most likely.

For devs which have actually coded using the API directly without an engine (as I have) - you'll find there are equivalent calls across the Oculus API and SteamVR (and OpenVR) that would require refactoring, but not much reworking.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is a good point! Though I still think it applies more going forward; switching APIs may be trouble depending on how far into a project a team is. (Also, publishing on the store may help get eyes on your game? But that's only a maybe, so...)

I feel that most Rift users will purchase their VR games on Steam, and only use Oculus store for exclusive contents...since VR games on Steam are not tie down to any specific headsets. Rift owners can have the freedom to play their VR steam games should they switch to other headsets in the future.

At least that's what I will do if I am a Rift user

UrbanRats

It's not easier for indie devs to drop Oculus. They'd get good will for doing so, maybe, but VR is a niche and if their game is VR-only, I can't fault them for having to release on everything they can. Bigger devs have more freedom so it's them I'm looking more at, especially as they obviously can have a larger impact on Facebook/Oculus, but they can also have contracts that prevent them from saying/doing anything satisfying.

Capitalism sucks.
No, I don't think it's easier (I also didn't say as much), but as they are smaller, it's probably a more streamlined process to drop support for moral reasons, than it would be for a huge company, and as I said, I think small companies have more to gain from customers goodwill, than big companies do.

I feel that most Rift users will purchase their VR games on Steam, and only use Oculus store for exclusive contents...since VR games on Steam are not tie down to any specific headsets. Rift owners can have the freedom to play their VR steam games should they switch to other headsets in the future.

At least that's what I will do if I am a Rift user

My point. I have good regional pricing in Steam, "guarantee" that the games wont be removed, achievements, community features, cloud saves, trading cards, refunds and more that Oculus Home doesnt offer.

Also the sales on Steam are far better. I mean on Oculus it seems you have to wait till Oculus has one of their sales. On steam the devs can sell their game for whatever they want every week.

Let me guess, I say "privileged" and you automatically thought "white" and that doesn't make the point for me?

And yes, that's my point. Someone like Palmer Lucky, even if he wasn't rich, has much less to lose if Trump wins and his hateful rhetoric starts to become policy than a minority (be it black, hispanic, muslim-american, LBGT, women) does, so it's probably much easier to treat this election like some bullshit meme playground. For others there are actual stakes here.

ArtHands

On Giantbomb Phil Fish was asked if they were bringing to other platforms and he said they want to but right now they are 100% focused on the PSVr version.

It waa likely going to come to the platform and I don't think they can restrict rifts but you just buy it through Steam instead of Oculus home.

He only said he will look into it in that video. Its a non-answer.

Just because something hasn't been announced doesn't mean it isn't in development. It's really not that difficult to put that together

I can't tell if this is a joke or not

Its more plausible to assume it is not in development if it didn't get announced. Whether it is in development, its behind their closed door. To what they have shown us, it is not a plan.

ArtHands

and now they won't look into it. Hence the statement.

The original stance is a non-answer. their statement implies that they have stopped pursuing, so it still doesn't make sense. They havent start to pursue in the first place.

The original stance is a non-answer. their statement implies that they have stopped pursuing, so it still doesn't make sense. They havent start to pursue in the first place.

no, their statement literally says "We will not be pursuing". That doesn't imply that the pursuing has started.

And again, wtf is your point with all of this? for like the 4th time do you think they are lying?

ArtHands what are you really trying to say here. That you believe that they never had an intention of porting this game to Oculus and are instead just jumping on this bandwagon for the good press? I mean that doesn't mKe much sense to me, it makes a lot less sense that they were considering the platform for the future and now they aren't.

It's actually smart business.
When your business or product is linked to or associated with shady people, it could hurt your reputation and what you are selling.

entremet

TIL that Phil Fish is making games again.

I thought he quit.

Time to abandon ship at Oculus.

Edit: I wonder how long until Facebook cuts ties with Oculus.

Cut ties?

Oculus is a FB company. They're also thinking long term. I'm sure FB mothership is deliberating on their decisions on what to do with Luckey in terms of association.

I expect something by next week.

The Verge reports on two anonymous developers who are not going to support Oculus.

Two Vive developers I spoke with, both of whom have highly rated games on Steam Early Access, also said that they would no longer be comfortable working with Oculus. "I am currently returning my Oculus dev hardware," says one, who recalls backing the Oculus Kickstarter campaign in its first hour. "One of the dignities of being an indie developer is being able to live one's politics, on a daily basis. Part and parcel of that is making regular decisions on whether or not to invest time/money/energy/allegiance to various platforms. For myself, finding out last night that the founder of one of the main platforms for this medium basically thinks white supremacy is funny was a crystallizing moment." Rift users will still be able to play the game through Valve’s SteamVR system, but it won’t be tailored to Oculus’ custom Touch controllers.

"We were approaching [our game] with ‘We should launch on Oculus Touch,’" says the other developer. "Now we have considerable questions. Very real ethical questions we'd like answered, such as: how much of the 30 percent cut of our revenue that goes to Oculus is going to fund neo-Nazi hate memes?" In both these cases, though, it was only the last straw in an already-difficult relationship with Oculus — one criticized a "control-freak and anti-competitive" approach to the development community, and the other called Oculus’ "stand-offish and unresponsive" behavior "the polar opposite" of Valve and HTC’s relationship to developers.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/23/13033268/palmer-luckey-trump-meme-fund-oculus-developers-respond

Top Bottom