• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch at 4.7 million | ARMS: 1.18 Million, Zelda: 3.92M, Mario Kart 3.54M

Plenty of great games that would sell. Mario 3D World, Mario Maker (though I heard this is quite limited, maybe Mario Maker 2 would be better), Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Yoshi and Kirby, maybe even Captain Toad or Xenoblade X.

I wish I could buy them now! I feel left out because I don't have any interest in ARMS and Spla2n :|

Mario Maker is GOAT. Once it comes out for Switch, my life is sunk.

heringer

I'm still sticking to my guns with "Improvement from GameCube/Wii U", I expect it to do a bit higher than 3DS LTD but not hit Wii LTD.

Well, I guess 70 million units is still "improvement from GameCube/WiiU", so you can't be wrong with your prediction even if it does 100 millions.

The thing that you aren't factoring in is the fact Switch has been heavily supply restrained and this is likely to be the case until well into next year. I realise this is the same for the others but I'd expect Switch to end up number 3 just behind PS4 and Wii by the time they finally meet the demand.
No. By the time Switch starts meeting demand, DS, Wii, GBA, and PS4 will be into the prime of their sales.

Nintendo is still projecting 10m shipped for the first full year after launch. Even if they end up doing a few million more, that wouldn't be enough to rise up the list. In that same period, PS4 shipped ~15m, GBA ~17m, and Wii ~18m. The DS did ~11.5m, so maybe it could be passed very briefly...but it would then race ahead again. Even the 3DS shipped over 14m, so it's going to pass Switch too, unless the new machine beats Nintendo's projections by multiple millions. (It'd probably fall back behind Switch later, though.)

Note that the 10m forecast already requires doubling of the current pace during the holidays. So millions more than that would require a longer period of doubled production, or short periods of tripling. As I said before, Xbox One is the only bar that Switch is liable to cross.

I'll say it one more time, it's not really about how PS4 would sell differently during the spring, it's about how switch would sell differently during the holidays.
If the supply constraint is competition for NAND components, they couldn't sell differently during holidays. Retailer demand wouldn't matter, just as it doesn't matter now when it also clearly outstrips supply. You're positing an imaginary world.

But this comparison is superfluous anyway. I'm not saying that holidays don't provide any incremental increase. I'm just saying the extra units fade to background noise very rapidly; it's the continuing months following that truly determine the trajectory. GBA shows that spring launches can be just as big as holiday ones. WiiU shows that pretty big launches can be followed by abject failure.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Well, I guess 70 million units is still "improvement from GameCube/WiiU", so you can't be wrong with your prediction even if it does 100 millions.

Yeah, I would have put "Higher than 3DS" if that existed but that poll was just all-around a bad poll with basically 3-4 insane/extremly unprobable options (with one of them somehow getting loads of votes, wtf gaf how can you be so wrong)

It still makes no sense.

It's Psycho_Mantis, he will stick to his guns, don't even try. I gave up long ago.

I honestly did not expect ARMS to sell 1.1 million that fast. I guess it'll end up doing, what, 2-3 million? Pretty decent for a new IP launch. Good job Nintendo.

heringer

Yeah, I would have put "Higher than 3DS" if that existed but that poll was just all-around a bad poll with basically 3-4 insane/extremly unprobable options (with one of them somehow getting loads of votes, wtf gaf how can you be so wrong)

It's Psycho_Mantis, he will stick to his guns, don't even try. I gave up long ago.

I honestly think Nintendo would be thrilled if the system ended up selling ~80 millions. That would put it in the PS3/360/GBA/PSP ballpark, which is nothing to scoff at.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
yeah 80 million+ isn't really a number where a phrase like "but that's about it" is relevant

that'd be great for Switch

The problem is that some people think that the Switch is going to be some amazing Wii or DS-style runaway hit and while that's certainly possible, I don't think it's probable.

phanphare

Banned
The problem is that some people think that the Switch is going to be some amazing Wii or DS-style runaway hit and while that's certainly possible, I don't think it's probable.

it could maybe sniff Wii numbers depending on how they go about revisions and how long this particular family of hardware is on the market. if they go the 3DS route with Switch in terms of revisions and it's on the market for like 8 years they could definitely get there.

my point was that 80 million+ would be great for the Switch. that's not a number that would necessitate a meh response like "but that's about it".

Fiendcode

If the supply constraint is competition for NAND components, they couldn't sell differently during holidays. Retailer demand wouldn't matter, just as it doesn't matter now when it also clearly outstrips supply. You're positing an imaginary world.

But this comparison is superfluous anyway. I'm not saying that holidays don't provide any incremental increase. I'm just saying the extra units fade to background noise very rapidly; it's the continuing months following that truly determine the trajectory. GBA shows that spring launches can be just as big as holiday ones. WiiU shows that pretty big launches can be followed by abject failure.
The entire production roadmap would've been different with a holiday launch. You can't say shipments would've been the same as is because Nintendo's original orders would've been less conservative. It doesn't really matter that Nintendo can't adjust up due to NAND shortages now, the entire manufacturing schedule would've been different.

lyrick

Are you being intentionally obtuse? That's exactly what people want. Having an account that doesn't maintain the digital games you bought from system to system is marginally better than scribbling your name in the dust on your Wii and Wii U.

This is the shit I was talking about.

All digital purchase licenses were tied to a Nintendo Network Account after the Nintendo [NNID] acct implementation. It's how many of us transferred our digital libraries from our 3DS to n3DS, and how I transferred my stuff from one Wii U to another.

The account platform in use now is an all encompassing "Nintendo Account" which allows logon to the mobile games, apps, web services and the Switch Platform (afaik NNID is still used on legacy platforms)

License transferability is hit and miss on many platforms, that's why none of my PS1 classics or PS2 classics (purchased on PS3) work on the PS4. This lack of download title transfer is why some asshat wanted me to rebuy Final Fantasy VII for PS4, instead of letting me use the copy I already own, and also why the download versions of PSP games I want to play on my PlayStation TV just don't fucking work (Castlevania Chronicles X, Phantasy Star Portable, and other titles).

An account system is just a database that holds your info and lets you log onto various devices while managing some details attached to it. EVERTHING else is licensing, software compatibility and various other bullshit that is not part of an Account system.

With the way Splatoon 1, and now ARMS, have become million sellers, I think it's safe to say we'll see more fresh new AAA franchises from Nintendo in the years to come. The consumers have voted with their dollar.

How many people have actually suggested the switch could potentially sell as well as the DS? Of course it's not probable, it's damn well near impossible and that's why no one is really suggesting that.

I also don't understand how you can think 80+ million life time sales is a reasonable prediction but wii like sales aren't. The wii only ended up selling around 100 million consoles. I don't see that is being that far out of the ballpark of 80+ million sales.

I think this goes back to something I've commented on many times previously. When talking about 'wii level sales' there needs to be a clarification made. If you're talking life time sales than the wii whilst being a huge success is far from unprecedented. The PS1, PS2, DS and game boy all sold more and the 360 and PS3 weren't far off.

If you're talking about peak level wii sales when it was dominating the sales charts that's another matter. I don't think we're ever likely to see sales like that again.

No. By the time Switch starts meeting demand, DS, Wii, GBA, and PS4 will be into the prime of their sales.

Nintendo is still projecting 10m shipped for the first full year after launch. Even if they end up doing a few million more, that wouldn't be enough to rise up the list. In that same period, PS4 shipped ~15m, GBA ~17m, and Wii ~18m. The DS did ~11.5m, so maybe it could be passed very briefly...but it would then race ahead again. Even the 3DS shipped over 14m, so it's going to pass Switch too, unless the new machine beats Nintendo's projections by multiple millions. (It'd probably fall back behind Switch later, though.)

Note that the 10m forecast already requires doubling of the current pace during the holidays. So millions more than that would require a longer period of doubled production, or short periods of tripling. As I said before, Xbox One is the only bar that Switch is liable to cross.

Switch is at 4.7 million 3 months in and you are concerned that they may not be able to ship 5.3 million more units in 9 months? Disappointing to hear with Nintendo's production issues holding it back. I was hoping they could get 10 million out by the holidays.

Does it work for all my VC games I bought in the past?

We don't know, since those games have never been available at all on Switch.

Switch is at 4.7 million 3 months in and you are concerned that they may not be able to ship 5.3 million more units in 9 months? Disappointing to hear with Nintendo's production issues holding it back. I was hoping they could get 10 million out by the holidays.

production on the first few batches surely began many months before Switch actually launched, so 4.7 million doesn't represent the production capacity for three months.

MisterR

Well said. I'm always so annoyed when people say software sells hardware. PS4 sold like mad out of the gate with ports of games people played <1 year ago. Wii U sold terrible but had/has great games.

Specs and features sell hardware, not games.

This is nonsense. The PS4 sold well because it was great hardware and also because people knew the games were coming and were excited to play even ports of older games on new hardware after 8 years. There was never any doubt that the PS4 would have great games. The Wii U's great games were few and far between. It being shitty hardware played a role, but the fact that it's lineup was basically shit for a year and a half was a major reason it failed. If it had Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey the first year, it would have sold much better.

galvatron

Gaddamn at those Arms numbers. Really happy its doing that well. That's gotta be a better start than a lot of arena fighters with more "hardcore cred", such as Virtual On:OT and Gundam.

Twintelle for Smash is just a bit more likely now :D

z0m3le

Banned
The entire production roadmap would've been different with a holiday launch. You can't say shipments would've been the same as is because Nintendo's original orders would've been less conservative. It doesn't really matter that Nintendo can't adjust up due to NAND shortages now, the entire manufacturing schedule would've been different.

Thank you, they would have just started to fill the order 4 months further out than they did for a spring launch, and if they are producing ~670k units a month, that is 2.7m more switch consoles on store shelves, or double the initial launch month, and would help meet demand a bit better, however demand would have rose thanks to the holiday season.

After those 4 months though, switch would likely still be sold out and with 2 to 3 million more devices sold.

Glass Joe

ARMS's numbers impress me. I just didn't think a motion controlled fighting game would go over that well.

MK8 Deluxe is doing great with a surprisingly high tie-ratio. I thought more Switch owners who had a Wii U would skip it. They really should do a DLC pack of race tracks like they did with Wii U to help keep it evergreen.

The component is constraint because not enough manufacturers produce it so you have to wait your turn for your order to be filled. It isn't that there is like a physical limitation on material. So the basis here is that if you were going to launch in the holidays you would stockpile earlier and your order volume would be significantly larger.

You can't seriously be suggesting suppliers are capping order quantity. If you aren't I don't get the point of what you're saying. They can't order more volume because?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Looks like ARMS really paid off for Nintendo. It was either this or MK9 and seems unlikely a hypothetical Mk9.would have outsold the combined sales of MK8D and ARMS.

Most probably this will be Nintendo's strategy going forward. Less direct sequels in a single gen more new IP's.

Neiteio

Nintendo has been advertising ARMS like nonstop, the Testpunch was a huge success, the characters are innately appealing, and the game is super-fun. It's a good combination!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
US > PAL or even if they were equal would place it near the 600k mark

Well its already past 200K in Japan with digital, so yes, I'd say its over 600K.

I find it fascinating how you keep coming back to this thread to make people know that ARMS has only sold 600K.

Timeaisis

Wow, I just realized this doesn't even include anything in July and obviously doesn't account for Splatoon 2 yet. July will be a big month. I could see it hitting another mil this month easy.

Yukinari

Splat 2 kind of took the thunder from Arms cause i havent gone back to it since it got updated.

Just not enough variety in content for me personally.

Splat 2 kind of took the thunder from Arms cause i havent gone back to it since it got updated.

Just not enough variety in content for me personally.
I bought the Switch with Splatoon 2 and ARMS. I've been playing Splatoon 2 non-stop since launch and have yet to open the box to ARMS. However, I plan to try it out today.

I figure this is as good a thread as any. I just got a switch with Zelda. I have $40 in Amazon credit. Should I use that towards Mario Kart or a Pro controller?

Top Bottom