• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch sold 45k units at launch in Spain

Mario Kart? MKWii sold what, 35 million?

And your typical member of the general public walks into a game shop and sees a Switch for £280 and then MK8 for a further £50 or sees a Wii U with MK8 included for £150.

Which do you think they will buy?

MK8D will sell well to existing owners, I don't see it shifting a ton of new consoles.

There was much more supply of the Wii U so yeah of course it would be more readily available. They only intend to have 2 million available worldwide by the end of March.

... yet they're still selling more than the Wii U in essentially every region...

And your typical member of the general public walks into a game shop and sees a Switch for £280 and then MK8 for a further £50 or sees a Wii U with MK8 included for £150.

MK8D will sell well to existing owners, I don't see it shifting a ton of new consoles.

Your typical member of the general public doesn't know the Wii U exists. You could say this exact same thing about Zelda yet here we are.

itxaka

Defeatist
From the other thread, something curious i posted:

Regarding Spain's numbers, Zelda was sold out in almost every physical retailer in Madrid during the weekend. I was able to grab one of the two remaining copies in El Corte Inglés in La Vaguada (the last of all copies in ECI according to their web and the guy who sold me the game).

GAME, MediaMarkt, fnac, and ECI didn't have copies by saturday afternoon.

I think that Carrefour had according to their pick up in-store service, but all Carrefours are in the outskirts of Madrid.

I guess that if Nintendo had supplied more copies of Zelda numbers would be even bigger.

So you were the one that snatched of of those 2 left. Almost made me went home with no zelda, you bastard! Thank god Alcampo in la vaguada had 2 copies left when I arrived.

Zelda attachment rate in spain is INSANE if those numbers are close to real. Now Im wondering, what those 5k people that got a switch but not zelda are playing? Hopefully zelda but a digital copy lmao

Celine

lol, good luck.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I hope Nintendo keeps winning and ditches the 3DS soon, the earlier they go all in with the Switch, the better it'll be for Nintendo in the long run!

Letting people think, that maybe there is a 3DS successor around the corner is foolish, they probably want to be on the safe side, if Switch "fails", but Nintendo going all in on one single platform is just too good to pass up!!

Alas all that early success probably means that I won't get to buy the Switch for cheap this holiday season ;)

all this early success bodes very well for Switch and pretty poorly for 3DS

they've got some filler stuff on deck for 3DS but once MK8 hits US and Splatoon hits Japan, things will get much clearer. hopefully pokemon stars is Switch exclusive, as that'll really be the nail in the coffin for 3ds.

Your typical member of the general public doesn't know the Wii U exists. You could say this exact same thing about Zelda yet here we are.

Lets not pretend that most Switch sales so far aren't hardcore Nintendo fans.

Your typical COD and Fifa player hasn't rushed out to get a Switch and Zelda.

slit

The Wii U sold well at launch too, we need to see how it's supoorted in the next 6 months.

Not like this. The thing has an initial buzz that WiiU didn't because of confusion on the GP's part. While it's ultimate success is still unclear, it is off to a much better start than WiiU.

Slay Queeens!

rs_500x281-161128142132-MARIAHS-WORLD-MARIAH-CAREY-10.gif

Lets not pretend that most Switch sales so far aren't hardcore Nintendo fans.

Your typical COD and Fifa player hasn't rushed out to get a Switch and Zelda.
I know some people who game on Xbox one only but got a Switch for Zelda.
Plus I bet you they will if FIFA is a good port and they advertise the portability of a console FIFA(not that mobile phone garbage EA has)

So you were the one that snatched of of those 2 left. Almost made me went home with no zelda, you bastard! Thank god Alcampo in la vaguada had 2 copies left when I arrived.

Zelda attachment rate in spain is INSANE if those numbers are close to real. Now Im wondering, what those 5k people that got a switch but not zelda are playing? Hopefully zelda but a digital copy lmao

LOOOOOOOOL

Menos mal tío xD

So the only console that's had a better launch week than Switch is the PSP?

That's kind of crazy.

Launches are more about supply than anything else. I mean obviously when looking at those WiiU numbers Switch seems to have way more demand during the launch (as WiiU never sold out) but when you start to compare it to other popular consoles it gets harder because those have been supply constrained at launch (like the switch probably). For example going by numbers in this thread PS4 sold more in its second week in spain than first week because of supply issues (35k launch week 45k second week) so it probably could have sold all those 80k units first week if the stock had been there. Obviously still a good start but we have to wait for some time to see just how popular the device is.

What Wii Us?

NSESN

I think what Nintendo needs is a direct before MK to announce dates for Splatoon and Arms, and perhaps a new game. The date of Splatoon 2 can make or break the legs of the switch.

I think what Nintendo needs is a direct before MK to announce dates for Splatoon and Arms, and perhaps a new game. The date of Splatoon 2 can make or break the legs of the switch.
They need Arms and Splatpon 2 for May and June definitely though.
If they can have Fire Emblem Warriors for August and Have a Smash 4 Port, Pokémon Stars, Mario, and Xenvlade 2 they'll be golden

jonno394

Yup, they definitely need something asap. Nintendo Indies video was nice, but ARMS needs a lot of info, and I think it needs to come before MK8.

phanphare

Banned

the Wii U is dead baby, the Wii U's dead

Nosgoroth

*raises hand* Contributing to that number and that attach rate!

Bought from Amazon, then went to a Carrefour to get the official case. There were at least seven systems, but then again it was early friday morning.

tolkir

I could go to game or media markt and buy one just now, to say 2 big retailers. Or ask for one in amazon now.

As I said I don't believe the stock and sellthrough.

You can ask in Amazon now and you'll get it March 17.

Edit: Misunderstanding.

i think it is, since Zelda is selling really well and seems the perfect game for both Nintendo fans and core gamers.

Then they're much more heavily loaded upfront than they have been for every prior Nintendo console launch since the DS. I realise that's probably true anyway because as you mention, Zelda - while most of the major launch titles for the other systems were either new IPs aimed at casual audiences, or seemingly minor updates on existing formulae - but I would still suspect a decent chunk of that 45k to be outside of the typical audience.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the strong sales. I thought it would be more of a struggle since their flagship title is a cross-platform release, but apparently there aren't enough WiiU owners to cannibalize the Switch launch in any meaningful way.

TS-08

Where are you finding all these MK8 Wii U bundles?

According to Gaf the 3DS had 0 chance against the Vita...And look what happened.

What? Quotes, please?

Also, on topic: deserved, in my opinion and in the distance. I'm still happy with my 3DS and specially with my Vita, but I have no doubts that in the future the sucessor of my beloved Vita in my home will be the Switch.

Frillen

I still think the Switch isn't going to sell that well though. It all depends on whether or not Nintendo will make a new handheld only system. If they do, I don't think it will do much better than the Gamecube. If they don't, and for example the next mainline Pokemon game is coming exclusively for the Switch, I can see it selling 40 million+.

It's so bizarre to see so much negativity around the system at GAF and at the same time seeing it break sales records all over the world.
GAF is so out of touch with the mainstream public that the backlash made me think it would be a hit. Naturally we still need to see the Switch's legs but at this point its looking pretty good.

Before the 70$ price drop there was common sentiment that Vita could beat the 3D. Just search the Vita launch price thread.

I would like to know what defines this common sentiment? There were plenty of people also thinking that 3DS is going to sell insanely well before the launch because of the success of DS (despite the price). Was this also common sentiment?

... yet they're still selling more than the Wii U in essentially every region...

GAF thinks people will make a well thought out choice between everything that is available in a store. Very fantastic.

JCH!

Anecdotal evidence, sure, but more people I know have bought a Switch during its launch weekend than bought the Wii U during its whole lifetime.

I still think the Switch isn't going to sell that well though. It all depends on whether or not Nintendo will make a new handheld only system. If they do, I don't think it will do much better than the Gamecube. If they don't, and for example the next mainline Pokemon game is coming exclusively for the Switch, I can see it selling 40 million+.

Basically almost everything they've said has indicated it will take over both the handheld and console lines, so no need to worry there.

They're literally marketing it as a "home console" that becomes a "portable console".

Top Bottom