• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch sold 45k units at launch in Spain

They shipped few numbers, once again. A huge retailer in Porto got like 10 one them, absolutely ridiculous. The store manager said he'd never seen anything like it.

But it still sold more than any previous console in Spain, including the PS4 which was supply constrained... How could it be undershipped? Maybe some retailers got screwed but essentially all the data points to very solid shipments worldwide relative to demand.

I remember the Wii was going to be a failure as well.
Also, Splatoon? No one is going to care about a shitty new Nintendo IP.

That was a fun wall of shame. I'd love to see ARMS do something similar.

Man, Nintendo really killed it by launching Zelda with this, it was the only reason I bought one at launch.

We all thought they were crazy only bringing Zelda to E3. We all thought they were crazy launching with basically only Zelda. Now who's crazy?

tolkir

Not true. I could buy a grey system now and have it in 2 hours max.

In fact Amazon Now doesn't list items they haven't in stock. It doesn't make sense.

Amm, it's ask in Amazon Now, not ask in amazon, now.
Nothing to see here then. xd

squall23

Will this end up being a Switch screenshot? It would make Switch sell gangbusters.

XVAq9ma.png

13ruce

Banned
It's so bizarre to see so much negativity around the system at GAF and at the same time seeing it break sales records all over the world.

Because they are wrong the markting for this thing has been very good i see commercials of it everyday.

With Wii U they never even did or atleast those were very bad lol.

But it still sold more than any previous console in Spain, including the PS4 which was supply constrained... How could it be undershipped? Maybe some retailers got screwed but essentially all the data points to very solid shipments worldwide relative to demand.

That was a fun wall of shame. I'd love to see ARMS do something similar.

We all thought they were crazy only bringing Zelda to E3. We all thought they were crazy launching with basically only Zelda. Now who's crazy?

I thought they were crazy for the launch they had. I know it seems crazy, but snipperclips and fast rmx turned my opinion on the matter around completely. And I was originally VERY pissed with the lineup at first.

Launch sales may not be indicative of future success. However, I have seen more than Nintendo diehard interest in the Switch. I think the system's hybrid nature is connecting in a way that the Wii U tablet and glasses-free 3D did not.

I thought they were crazy for the launch they had. I know it seems crazy, but snipperclips and fast rmx turned my opinion on the matter around completely. And I was originally VERY pissed with the lineup at first.

Yep me too. Very disappointed after the January event (but before the Zelda trailer) when they had announced very little for the launch. But Zelda was just that good, and Snipperclips is a fantastic little game.

Launch sales may not be indicative of future success. However, I have seen more than Nintendo diehard interest in the Switch. I think the system's hybrid nature is connecting in a way that the Wii U tablet and glasses-free 3D did not.

Considering it's selling better than the Wii U with less stock and smaller shipments, I think it's a pretty clear indicator that it will at the very least be more successful than that. Which admittedly is not a high bar at all.

I love MK and Splatoon, but I think calling them system sellers is stretching the term. They're solid titles, but few people looked to buy a system off the back of either, in comparison to how many were wondering if they could pick up a cheap Wii U just to play Zelda.

He/she's in another thread doing the same things. He clearly has an issue.

I also clearly own a Switch, I'm sorry is my opinion only valid if I'm praising Nintendo?

I honestly don't believe MK8D and ARMS is going to continue the momentum of the console. You do I suppose? Good for you.

I love MK and Splatoon, but I think calling them system sellers is stretching the term. They're solid titles, but few people looked to buy a system off the back of either, in comparison to how many were wondering if they could pick up a cheap Wii U just to play Zelda.

I do think there's a difference between a system seller and a mega seller, but people constantly sell Mario Kart very short. Do you think the 35 million people who bought Mario Kart Wii were all existing owners?

Also I think people also fail to realize how insanely popular Splatoon has been in Japan. It was most certainly a system seller there. Splatoon 2 on a handheld might be a legitimate phenomenon in Japan.

Oxn

I also clearly own a Switch, I'm sorry is my opinion only valid if I'm praising Nintendo?

I honestly don't believe MK8D and ARMS is going to continue the momentum of the console. You do I suppose? Good for you.

I think MK8D will, but its a travesty that it is and for $60.

ethomaz

Banned
- Zelda BotW almost has a 100% attach rate, which has not been seen before on the Spanish market
Hummmmm...

39,566 / 44,673 = 0.88

88% is not almost 100%... more like almost 90%.

It is close to attach rate in France and that means people are not buying digital on Switch.

Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 would have been system sellers were Wii U a sellable system, but so few people have played them that they can still be system sellers for Switch.
Also, buying physical for Switch makes a lot of sense as it does for all portables in general.

When it launches with one of the greatest games of all time, it's got to do well.

I've just spent the last couple of days watching Zelda:BOTW no-commentary playthroughs. Game just looks so magical I don't know whether to buy an old Wii U or Switch.

Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 would have been system sellers were Wii U a sellable system, but so few people have played them that they can still be system sellers.

splatoon's a sequel, not a port. even if splatoon had a wiiu attach rate of 1, it still wouldn't be a threat.

mk8, however, passed 8 million, and i'm wondering if the current switch customers are mostly among those people. I'm thinking it'll "only" do a few million in its lifetime instead of reaching the series' normal astronomical attach rate.

Hummmmm...

39,566 / 44,673 = 0.88

It is close to attach rate in France and that means people are not buying digital on Switch.

To be fair the numbers in the OP he's working from are 44k and 45k, which is 98%. No idea which numbers are more accurate though.

Philippo

Great job Nintendo, now sustain the momentum by having a steady flow of games, OS updates, new services and lowering the price of peripherals/games.

Neoxon

Even then (though I do believe you're underestimating MK8 Deluxe & ARMS), there's also Splatoon 2 of the Switch games we know about.

45k is Wii u and switch combined. 39ish k is switch only.

Er?

Spain:
Week 9, 2017 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) NSW THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO) - 44,000
02 (NE) PS4 HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 35,000
03 (NE) WIU THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO) - 13,000
04 (NE) NSW 1-2 SWITCH (NINTENDO) - 8,000
05 (01) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 4,000

http://www.vandal.net/noticia/1350688288/nintendo-switch-es-el-mejor-lanzamiento-de-consola-de-la-historia-de-espana/

Sure looks like 57k combined to me.

Again, I don't know which numbers are more accurate.

krumble

While you're not wrong that the next 6 months are more important, the Switch is selling a lot better than the Wii U (and better than any other console ever in some regions like Spain) and far harder to find in the US than the Wii U was.

I remember walking into Gamestop a few days after the Wii U launched and seeing about 15 boxes just sitting behind the counter. You're not seeing that with the Switch. Though that factors in supply just as much as demand.

Mario Kart? MKWii sold what, 35 million?

I think gaf forget that any switch owners that didn't get WiiU will ABSOLUTELY see Mario Kart as a system seller (and a fair amount of WiiU owners may double dip)

The ONLY thing wrong with Mario Kart WiiU was the borked battle mode, the rest was perfection

Can only imagine the holiday sales numbers with the combined Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey available then

Joycon issues aside I think they have a good strategy for the 2017 launch - beyond then.. time will tell

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hummmmm...

39,566 / 44,673 = 0.88

IIRC, the French numbers for Zelda include digital.

aeroslash

As I said in the other thread with this info (without any source of course, I mean "vandal" sources) I don't believe the sellthrough. The 45k amount could be true perfectly.

45k of 50 k is a 90% sellthrough so almost any shop won't have any system unless we have a lot of shipments (more than US and Japan). But the reality is that you can buy a Switch almost in any shop at launch and the following days without stock problems so something is a bit strange with the data provided by Vandal.

I went to buy one on one of the big Fnac stores in Bcn on the first day and there were just 2 left...

Edit: and by the way, i had to buy Zelda digitally because there were no left in the whole store.

ethomaz

Banned
IIRC, the French numbers for Zelda include digital.
Ohhhhh I don't know.

Even so these 80%+ attach rate for Zelda means digital is really a small part of the sales... people are choosing retail.

BTW Spain numbers are retail only... 88% attach rate.

The weirdest part is that we still see all these claims of "artificial scarcity" when it is breaking all of these records, which suggest that they have done a very good job matching demand for a worldwide launch, which is not an easy feat.

Maybe it's hard to find in the US and a lot of US Gaffers are just projecting.
Vandal numbers are wrong unless it includes digital that I strong believe they didn't have access.

Nintendo official numbers are public.

And your typical member of the general public walks into a game shop and sees a Switch for £280 and then MK8 for a further £50 or sees a Wii U with MK8 included for £150.

Which do you think they will buy?

They won't likely see a Wii U with MK8 when they go into a store - the vast majority of them have been shipped back to Nintendo to be buried ala E.T.

And don't forget that the typical member of the general public never even knew the Wii U existed.

Usobuko

Banned
I think gaf forget that any switch owners that didn't get WiiU will ABSOLUTELY see Mario Kart as a system seller (and a fair amount of WiiU owners may double dip)

Yup. And I always feel that the hardcore fans ( people who bought Wii U ) will buy it if there's sufficient improvement and added content in this upgraded version.

After watching the new Mario Kart 8 Deluxe video, I'm pretty positive a significant would double dipped.

I guess it's hard to really gauge that kind of stuff before the fact, it's always different in retrospect. I don't think anyone really expected all the reviews to be 10's as well, I thought 9-mid 9's honestly. I think it just all fell into place.

Mario Kart 8 next month is gonna be great too :)

Top Bottom