• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System storage is going to be the main problem of 8th gen consoles

So why are installs a thing now? Are the games just too big to read directly from the disk? I'd rather have lowered graphics then if it means I didn't have to worry about that shit.

On the former, it's likely coming in January. Sony announced 4 months in advance a Firmware update coming to the PS3 in January to remove Facebook support.

Sony has delayed media updates to the PS4 too. ooVoo was announced by the ooVoo representative to be coming to the PS4 3rd quarter 2015. It hasn't been released either for I think the same reasons. It's part of a new PS4 kernel containing Playready ND. ooVoo is to be integral to the new PS4 kernel and can be called from games and from IPTV services like Netflix. Industry wide DLNA 2, DLNA 3 (UHD IPTV) and DLNA 4 are coming along with UHD blu-ray, Vidipath, DVR, Downloadable Security scheme, Network tuner support....and more.

DVR requires Network and or USB tuners and for Cable a Downloadable Security scheme. Vidipath for resolutions above 1080i requires a more secure DRM likely to be Playready ND. Blu-ray and ATSC 2.0 will support 1080P and S3D so DVRs and Media BRidges require something like Playready ND.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1083116 said:
For the PS3 a PDF on Passage was just released at the latest FCC DSTAC (Downloadable Security Technical Advisory Committee) meeting. Page 12 has a chart showing a PS3 being used as a Vidipath STB.

Second Sony Passage Paper to the FCC DSTAC is about using clear QAM tuners (USB, PC Card and Network tuners) with PCs, PS4, Phones and Tablets as the client using the DSS (Downloadable Security Scheme) (page 10 and 11). A picture of the PS3 labeled PS4 on page 11 is using a Hauppauge USB Tuner. Also on that page is a HD Homerun network tuner feeding a home WiFi router to portables.

"The game console, acting as a PlayReady ND transmitter, has obtained a license from the service and it sends media files to valid PlayReady ND receivers that are part of the same in-home network. It also uses PlayReady technologies to build and issue local licenses to authorized receiving devices. Note that this model can also be applied to both live streams, video-on-demand and DVR content."
This outlines a model similar to Vidipath except using Playready ND instead of WMDRM10 and confirms the XB1 and PS4 will be streaming 4K media in the home (from Cable TV and OTT) and supports both as 4K blu-ray players with digital bridge.

For the latter, a PS3 hardware refresh to 3.5 features, that and a Xbox 360 update were scheduled for after Windows 10 is released to serve as STBs for Vidipath, if it's still coming it's not late. With the XB1 able to emulate a Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 not able to support 1080P or multiple streams, it's likely dead. The PS3 is getting a Playready update to support Vidipath and HTML5 <video> MSE EME which means it should be able to support a full WebMAF feature set similar to the PS4. What it lacks is low power media support which is what I was speculating it would get. "Criteria for a refresh: Price, power use and SECURITY." With an ARM block similar to the PS4's it could support everything media that the PS4 supports using the same code and in addition support PS3 game streaming.

Pachimari

I filled up both my PS4 and Xbox One 500GB hard drives this month, and I had to delete stuff I didn't want to erase. I deleted Final Fantasy X, and now hope it'll come to Steam so I can actually get to play it through.

It's really annoying. Wish we could get by without having to install every single game.

So why are installs a thing now? Are the games just too big to read directly from the disk? I'd rather have lowered graphics then if it means I didn't have to worry about that shit.
Blu-Ray read speeds are too slow to fill RAM. The already garbage load times of some games would be a nightmare if data was read from disc.

Blu-Ray read speeds are too slow to fill RAM. The already garbage load times of some games would be a nightmare if data was read from disc.
I hope that's fixed with the next generation.

I don't play a lot of games though so maxing out my hard drive isn't an issue for me.

Catdaddy

My X1 had the 1TB HDD – so hoping that will give me enough space - and it appears that the install sizes for X1 games are for the most part smaller than the PS4. So as I can find deals moving some games over to the X1 to free up the PS4. I mainly buy physical copies as well, but made the 50+GB mistake of GTA5 digital for the PS4. I considered getting a larger HDD, but knew I was getting an X1 so not gonna worry about it at this time. Another feather in the X1 hat is the external option – I have an unused 1TB external that I can use if/when I fill it up.

Being able to delete only the core game and not DLC would be a great add to the PS4 – I’ve had less than 20-30GB free on my PS4 for a while now, and then ran into another problem with patching, the latest Witcher 3 patch needed well over 20GB to install so until I could delete something, it would fail due to limited disk space.

Top Bottom