• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System storage is going to be the main problem of 8th gen consoles

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I have a 5TB on my X1. Down to 1.5TBs left. Yes I buy a ton of games. And do i Like having any game installed in case I want to play that game right then. I will probably buy another 5TB some time next year,

Yep this is how I have mine currently have 2 4tb drives plugged into the back of mine.

RootCause

2TB SSD standard next gen plz
That would be super expensive. I much rather have that money go to better hardware. And add external drive support for digital hoarders. :p

Does anyone know is the x1, and ps4 offer trimm support?
I would imagine MS is more likely to add it.

StereoVsn

That would be super expensive. I much rather have that money go to better hardware. And add external drive support for digital hoarders. :p

No trimm on PS4. Hell, it's still on SATA2. No idea about Xbone, but doubt it.

Sony really needs:
a)Separate main game install, DLC, Saves and Patches so you can erase thing separately
b)Offer support for over 2tb drives (seems it's there with new PS4 model according to Nyko)
c)Support for external drives and hopefully multiple devices at same time so you could do say internal SSD for some games (like open world stuff) and main external for rest.

I am considering trading in my PS4 for new model so I could use Nyko Data Bank with large drives). It sucks that one has to do that to get things sorted out. Xbox One is certainly doing better in those aspects.

Also, keep in mind that unfortunately all 2tb internal models are 5400rpm which is not great for performance. There are some very expensive enterprise 7200rpm SAS models but that won't work here. This is why I still run Seagate 750gb 7200 RPM hybrid in both my PS4 and PS3.

Putting in a 2tb drive would fix that problem for the short term, but come winter 2016/spring 2017 I'll run into the same damn problem again.

I dunno, man. The entire PS4 library right now is only just over 4 TB total. For all 520+ games.

Most people can't empathize with needing almost half of the system's entire available library installed at one time.

gatti-man

I have a 1tb SSD in my ps4 and storage is fine. Only the most hardcore will have storage issues. If I were the OP I'd have two hard drives and just swap them out when one gets full. Then when I feel like playing the older games but the old HD in and update the OS.

They should both be selling SSD pro editions of their consoles. They are easily leaving money on the table not doing so.

rogue74

They're faster. Both consoles default drives are slow as fuck.

It depends. Internal HDDs are connected by SATA ports, they can be SATA 1 (150 MB/s), 2 (300 MB/s) or 3 (600 MB/s). SATA 3 is the standard nowadays in PC scene. Although PlayStation 4 uses SATA 2, IIRC.

Then, it depends too what connection uses the external HDD. USB 2.0 is 480 Mbits/s (60 MB/s), while USB 3.0 is 5Gbits/s (625 MB/s). Obviously, almost everyone uses USB 3.0 HDDs nowadays.

SATA.
USB.

Thank you. I didn't realize USB 3.0 was faster than SATA 3.

Sony does need to get on this. I just picked up the $299 Uncharted bundle over Black Friday for my son as an Xmas gift. Of course I will be playing some stuff on it as well (Bloodborne here I come). I'm already stressing over the HD size.

Maybesew

You may as well just go ahead and make the call that this gen is the worst hardware that has sold the best. Weak GPUs, limited storage, meanwhile November NPD.

So I may have found a workaround for DLC downloads on the PS4. Go to your Library, and hit X on any deleted game with deleted DLC. Go right and page down until you see My Add-Ons, hit X and you can download any deleted DLC to the system; it'll just sit there with "Waiting to install" until you boot up the game proper again. It won't show up in storage management so you'll have to go to your Download list to delete it.

Doesn't do shit for patches which are the main timesink but it fixes DLC at least. Should still be separate and manageable on the system storage menu.

I dunno, man. The entire PS4 library right now is only just over 4 TB total. For all 520+ games.

Most people can't empathize with needing almost half of the system's entire available library installed at one time.

Post your math and make sure you include DLC and patches as part of the data total.

So I may have found a workaround for DLC downloads on the PS4. Go to your Library, and hit X on any deleted game with deleted DLC. Go right and page down until you see My Add-One, hit X and you can download any deleted DLC to the system; it'll just sit there with "Waiting to install" until you boot up the game proper again. It won't show up in storage management so you'll have to go to your Download list to delete it.

Doesn't do shit for patches which are the main timesink but it fixes DLC at least. Should still be separate and manageable on the system storage menu.

I think there is a limit to the amount of uninstalled dlc you can have - I was doing this for a while but then it wouldn't let me download anything until I erased one uninstalled thing

Quonny

I'm curious what the OP feels the need to have on his console at all times. This isn't snark, I'm genuinely curious what games are needed.

kewlbot

i was thinking the same thing but hard drives are getting cheaper so by the time the 8th gen arrives i expect consoles to come with 1tb or more of storage and 1tb external drives will probably be pretty cheap too

RPS37

I don't trust that all of my games will always be re-downloadable. If it's a good game and I own it, I want it on my hard drive.

I'm curious what the OP feels the need to have on his console at all times. This isn't snark, I'm genuinely curious what games are needed.

The list I put up earlier has most of the main ones. I like to be able to switch between various pick-up-and-play games during the work week but a lot of those, like Blops III/WWE/Battlefront/etc, take up 30-50gb with a bunch of slow-ass patches to download. If I have a half hour before bed to play a game I don't want to waste it fucking around with data management, which is exactly what has happened several times over the past few months. Going up to 2tb will fix the problem in the short term but that'll be all she wrote if Sony doesn't allow for externals.

My god talk about first world problems. Unbelievable.

You are using your computing device with an internet connection to talk with other privileged people about their expensive electronic toys. What the fuck were you expecting? Jesus Christ people are oblivious sometimes.

This would require an extra drive for backup, but couldn't you:

Fill original PS4 HDD with games
Backup to a 4TB external HDD
Install a 2TB into the PS4
Restore the backup
Delete the games
Install some more games
Backup to external HDD
Install another 2TB into the PS4
Restore the backup
Delete the games
Install some more games
Repeat ad nauseam

Each 2TB drive will have the PS4 OS and a different set of games.

Restore the backup
Delete the games
Install some more games
Backup to external HDD
Restore the backup
Delete the games
Install some more games
Repeat ad nauseam

Possibly, and if Sony doesn't add in external support that might be my long term option. It would trade the time wasted downloading patches with time wasted reinstalling and reloading the HDD every time so it would be a wash time wise while the online is still up.

StereoVsn

Restore the backup
Delete the games
Install some more games
Backup to external HDD
Restore the backup
Delete the games
Install some more games
Repeat ad nauseam

This sounds like a huge pain in the ass. How about instead Sony fixes their hugely lacking file management system(if you can call it that). Mind you, a 2tb drive would be more then enough for me since I get all the multiplats (except Batman) on PC but it's still annoying and there are no fast 2tb drives to be had. Also, Sony doesn't have USB3 so external would be USB2 only.

GulAtiCa

I hate how you seemly can't delete the disk install only on PS4, and have to delete all the patches. Would work out better and more convenient for my internet bandwidth if I could keep the patch/dlc content and delete the disk install..

krang

What will be an adequate size at the start of the gen will not be at the end as games get bigger. External hard drive addition will basically be mandatory to allow you to expand across multiple devices should your library deem it necessary. Internal replacement is a nice feature but not as important, IMO.

If they come with 1TB as a minimum I do not foresee that being the "main problem" over the other bits of hardware that cannot be replaced mid-gen.

Teletraan1

Banned
It was until I put a 2Tb drive in my Ps4. Even my WiiU has 2Tb. I picked them each up on sale for less than the cost of a game. Hardly a huge issue imo.

plan9

lol at people suggesting just deleting games to make space for new ones, as if Sony will magically keep the servers online forever so you can just go grab em right back 10-15 years from now.

Yeah, seems like a great way to preserve your collection you're invested hundreds or thousands of dollars into, and totally risk-free!

I'm sorry you have a problem with this OP, I mean I and the rest of the world have had no problem with this since the iPod but my sympathies to you.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm sorry you have a problem with this OP, I mean I and the rest of the world have had no problem with this since the iPod but my sympathies to you.

And this is when I tell you one of the main things ppl say they like about Android is SD Cards.... And why some phone manufactures tried to go away from SD Cards over the past few years and went back recently. Google too with Nexus phones requirements.

I dont believe the entire wold uses iPods or iDevices.

Either SD Cards or bigger storage. On phones 16GB is becoming the absolute minimum to almost not enough.

It was 3.8TB as of October 30th. I was giving the benefit of another ~200-400 GB with holiday titles.

NOTE: After release, games are often patched, and those patches can weigh into the gigabytes. In addition, DLC and expansions are frequently released. Because we cannot be sure if your console is connected to the Net, and what extended content you will own, this list is based around the raw install size of the game, prior to your engagement with it.

Nice try.

BreakAtmo

How often do patches heavily increase the size of the game? Sure, patches themselves can be big, but they often replace data from the original version.

autoduelist

You still own the game even if you don't have it installed. It's not like selling off a physical disc from your collection where you no longer own it. You can go to Library and view your entire collection of games. Whether the game is installed or not does not change the number of games you own in your collection.

Yup. I keep my digital collection in a spreadsheet for easy management, but even w/o going that far my 'collection' does not need to be dl'd. That said, I do prefer everything dl'd in a perfect world.

This reminds me, I still can't believe how much space MKX eats up...
It's a damn fighting game! It was over 30 gigs last I checked. I hope SFV is a bit more conservative with space.

I have a 1tb SSD in my ps4 and storage is fine. Only the most hardcore will have storage issues. If I were the OP I'd have two hard drives and just swap them out when one gets full. Then when I feel like playing the older games but the old HD in and update the OS.

They should both be selling SSD pro editions of their consoles. They are easily leaving money on the table not doing so.
The XB1and I'd guess the PS4 will be UHD blu-ray players with digital bridge using Playready ND. The Panasonic-Sony proposal has the media copied to the hard disk and then served/background streamed to other platforms in the home that support Playready ND. With even a modest blu-ray collection you will need extremely large USB and maybe Network drives. Provisions for extremely large USB drives should be in the OS when they are needed like sometime 2016.

Both the PS4 and XB1 will support DVR for Cable and Over The Air, the XB1 already supports 1080P DVR which is needed for ATSC 2.0 which is coming soon. ATSC 1.0 only supports 1080i as the highest resolution using the DVD codec while ATSC 2.0 uses the blu-ray codec allowing twice as many channels or higher resolution (1080P) and S3D.

oh hey here's jeff_rigby to talk about features that will never happen instead of ones that people actually want
Yes, in this thread at this time everyone is running out of space because of the number of games on the internal drive. I'm only pointing out that the media updates coming 1st quarter 2016 with PS4 4.0 will need even more space than games. There have to be plans to support more Hard Disk space!

From last generation to this, Microsoft has been months ahead in adding features and they added 1080P DVR for Antenna TV with their last firmware update. The FCC mandated that Vidipath (Cable TV) be in a recordable form and Sony WILL be supporting Vidipath with the PS3 and PS4.

UHD Blu-ray digital bridge is speculation at this time but the PS4 does have a HDMI 2 port with HDCP 2.2 and modern blu-ray drives can read 3 layer with Panasonic tweek disks. They are called Version 2 drives because they have higher specs to comply with the 2010 BD-R whitepaper. There is no UHD drive! What makes a Version 2 disk a UHD disk is the media not the format of the disk. Microsoft has announced the XB1 has 10 bit HEVC decoding and HEVC encoding (likely 8 bit) and can provably support UHD Blu-ray.

Yes, in this thread at this time everyone is running out of space because of the number of games on the internal drive. I'm only pointing out that the media updates coming 1st quarter 2016 with PS4 4.0 will need even more space than games.

From last generation to this, Microsoft has been months ahead in adding features and they added 1080P DVR for Antenna TV with their last firmware update. The FCC mandated that Vidipath (Cable TV) be in a recordable form and Sony WILL be supporting Vidipath with the PS3 and PS4. UHD Blu-ray digital bridge is speculation at this time.

yeah, like that big firmware update or the hardware refresh that you predicted

AP90

OP,

I understand your frustration, but storage issues will fix themselves on the next gen playstation. The biggest issue will still be CPUs then gpus.

By 2019, 512gig or more likely a 1TB SSD will be pretty doable for how much it will cost approx $60-80 (hopefully for 1TB) as a 240gig-256 runs $70-100 right now.

External storage support will have to become the defacto standard unless internet bandwith and latency issues are solved for like 75% of the population.

And IMO every console should be providing CPU prowess at least equivalent to laptop processors from an Intel Core i7 xxxxHQ from 2 GENs behind aka, if a 7th Gen processors are out, a 5th Gen should be used... Considering that next Gen consoles most likely still be using AMD, hopefully the ZEN architecture will help make this more acheivable.

As for gpus, well I would hope that they are not as dated as the current ones are in consoles...guess a 980m equivalent with hbm2 inside a console by 2019 should be a minimum req if not a better one.

It is a problem going forward for all system but i disagree with Sony being the worse. You can easily swap out the hard drive. Right now you are limited to 2tb but that should do everyone justice for right now. By the time every game is edging around the 50 gb requirement i'm sure larger 2.5 drives will be out on the market and compatible with the PS4.

That would still likely be too expensive to be a standard option if they want to keep consoles in the $400 range.

Depending on OS sizes it's possible they might pursue an internal SSD reserved for the OS and OS updates.

edit: And of course, game sizes will increase. Look at the game sizes now with many of these games not even being true 1080p and with relatively low quality textures. Only going to get bigger.

AP90

That would still likely be too expensive to be a standard option if they want to keep consoles in the $400 range.

Depending on OS sizes it's possible they might pursue an internal SSD reserved for the OS and OS updates.

HD formating + Os size take up a decent chunk of space on the XB1.

Defenitily annoying. I'm finding myself dealying
Game purchases while sticking almost completley to physical copies as the installation from disk is m-u-c-h shorter on the ps4 than downloading from PSN,and on xbox one the installation from disk is...well..you know.

edit: And of course, game sizes will increase. Look at the game sizes now with many of these games not even being true 1080p and with relatively low quality textures. Only going to get bigger.

Sony is definitely the worst. It has less storage options and terrible data management.

The Wii U has fixed flash memory but can support multiple externals of varying sizes and most games don't have data installs. You can also manage DLC/updates separately.

The Xbox One has a fixed HDD but can use multiple external drives, plus you can manage the install data separately from other data.

On the PS4 you can upgrade the internal but only to 2tb. There's no external drive support and you can't manage the disc install data since it gets lumped into one entry with updates and DLC in System Storage, preventing the user from just deleting the disc data and being done with it.

Top Bottom