• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria Import Thread

Rpgmonkey

4DrptLK.png

gXsOmyr.png

Platform: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PC (for Western release)
Theme/Genre: Live Like Yourself RPG
Developer: Bandai Namco Studios
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Director: Yoshimasa Tanaka
Producer: Yasuhiro Fukaya
Composer: Motoi Sakuraba
Animation: Ufotable
Character Design: Mutsumi Inomata, Kousuke Fujishima, Daigo Okumura, Minoru Iwamoto
Release Date:
- Japan: August 18, 2016
- North America: Early 2017
Theme Song: "Burn" by FLOW

Videos
PV1
PV2
PV3
PV4
PV5

iwuwhxd.png

CO9MxQU.jpg
0xTxfqu.jpg

Tales of Berseria is set on a world called Wasteland. The central region of this world is the Holy Kingdom of Midgand, a massive kingdom whose territory spans over several islands and continents. It is a very diverse place, with each area having its own culture and architecture depending on the climate and environments its residents have to deal with. Because many places are divided by seas, rivers, and oceans, this world is highly dependant on ships for transportation, communication, and trade, and even pirate crews have appeared to take advantage of this fact. Within the past decade a disease known as Daemonblight has begun to spread, infecting humans, plants, and animals, and turning many of them into violent creatures. To fight against this a savior known as Artorius appeared and formed the Abbey, an organization supported by the kingdom with the goal of fighting against the spread of Daemonblight.

The central character of the story is Velvet Crowe, a woman who some years ago lived a normal life in her village on the outskirts of the kingdom. However her village was infected with Daemonblight. Artorius, a man with the power to fight against Daemons, kills many of the transformed villagers, including her brother. Velvet manages to somehow escape death, and is instead captured and imprisoned for three years. The story begins with her executing a plan to escape and get revenge on Artorius for what he did.

yTg35TZ.png

xrDNzo1.jpg

Velvet Crowe
Voice Actor: Rina Satou
Character Design: Mutsumi Inomata
The central character of the story. Infected with Daemonblight yet somehow still able to retain her senses, she has a mutated arm as a result of the condition. To get revenge for events from 3 years ago, she escapes from prison and goes on a journey in pursuit of Artorius.

mWvCH1Z.jpg

Laphicet
Voice Actor: Azumi Asakura
Character Design: Minoru Iwamoto
A Malak (a different species with stronger magical abilities than humans) Velvet comes across. Like many of his species, he has no emotions, no sense of purpose, and not even a name when Velvet meets him. He decides to go along with Velvet, and develops more a personality along the way.

UgNyRbI.jpg

Rokurou
Voice Actor: Daisuk Kishio
Character Design: Daigo Okumura
A young man ho owes Velvet his life, and joins her in order to repay that debt. Also infected with Daemonblight several years ago, he decided to use the superhuman powers it grants humans to become stronger and perfect his family's style of martial arts. He carries a large sword on his back but is against using it combat, preferring to use short swords.

8Aza4Ha.jpg

Eleanor Hume
Voice Actor: Ami Koshimizu
Character Design: Kousuke Fujishima
A First Class Exorcist from the Abbey. She can come across as cold, especially to those who aren't in support of the Abbey and their efforts, but above all else she cares about protecting people from Daemons and finding a method to stop it for good.

cFQ4zbo.jpg

Magilou
Voice Actor: Satomi Satou
Character Design: Daigo Okumura
Calling herself the "Great Witch", she's a strange woman who joins Velvet. A jokester, she likes to play pranks and lift the other's spirits.

08qeRPZ.jpg

Eizen
Voice Actor: Toshiyuki Morikawa
Character Design: Minoru Iwamoto
A Malak who serves as second-in-command in the Aifred Pirates. He and the crew have been looking for their captain, who has disappeared recently, when they meet Velvet. He decides to join her and offer her use of their ship, believing they have a mutual enemy in the Abbey and that helping her will get him closer to finding out what the Abbey did with Aifread.

gwfRidZ.png

CBbdH6G.jpg
DUreNkt.jpg

Liberation Linear Motion Battle System

Berseria's battle system - while it retains some elements people who've played other Tales will be familiar with - is a big departure from all previous Tales games, in that the "Linear" part of the name is almost superfluous, among many other changes:

• Free Run-Based Controls - Unlike other Tales games, you don't move along any lines. Instead movement in inherently 3D based, no need to press any buttons for Free Run. You can also use attacks while moving, and use the right stick to adjust the camera.
  • Arte Control Changes - Berseria uses the Arte Tree seen in Graces and Zestiria, however now artes can be removed, moved, and assigned to any position in the tree. Assigning certain artes in certain sequences on the tree can add various benefits to your attacks. Also, instead of using various stick+button combinations for artes, Artes are now be assigned to X, Circle, Square, and Triangle. The button an arte is assigned to can also affect how the arte will be used in certain cases, such as changing the direction of an attack.
  • Soul System - This is the central feature many of the combat mechanics center around.
  • Break Souls - Special abilities that are unique to each character, and can be used if the character has 3 or more souls. They're all abilities that are powerful, but can vary in usefulness depending on the enemy and situation. Using one also allows the character to continue their chain of attacks beyond the limit imposed on them. They will improve over the course of the game, making them stronger and more versatile.
  • Blast - The Blast Gauge returns in Berseria. It's a gauge that's primarily filled through performing Break Souls, and allows you to perform various actions when filled up to certain levels. When it's filled to a certain point you can use it for things such as Switch Blasts, which let you swap in a reserve character, or Mystic Artes, powerful attacks.

Equipment/Skill System

Berseria uses an equipment and skill system that's somewhat like a combination of various elements from Vesperia, Graces, and Zestiria.
  • Equipment - Each piece of equipment can have three types of skills: Master Skills, Refinement Skills, and Random Skills. Master Skills are like skills in Vesperia (or other games like Final Fantasy IX): the equipment has an ability attached that you can use while it is equippmed, and a certain number of points needed to master it. Once you've obtained the necessary number of points, the ability is learned permanently and the character will have it active even when you've removed the equipment. If you keep the equipment on, the ability on the equipment will actually combine with your learned skill, increasing its effectiveness. Refinement Skills are abilities attached to equipment that are unlocked as you use materials to refine it and improve its stats. Once an ability is unlocked, refining the equipment further can improve the efective of the ability. Random Skills are skills that appear on equipment at random, offering some sort of bonus or ability. Finally, equipment you aren't in need of anymore can be broken apart into materials for use on other equipment.
  • Titles - Berseria uses Titles again, and like most entries in the series you'll obtain many of them through certain events or from fulfilling special conditions in battles. Each Title levels, with certain requirements to level up, such as using Base Artes a certain number of times or reaching a certain level. As you level the Title, various skills on the Title will be unlocked, and you can swap around Titles depending on the skills you need.
  • Crystals - There are different crystals you can collect that unlock a wide array of abilities and features. For example, some will unlock difficulty modes, others will affect what kind of abilities you find on equipment that's dropped.

iWYoO8m.jpg
EiruUm9.jpg

Other Stuff
  • Cooking - Berseria goes back to a more traditional cooking system, where you find recipes and each character can cook them to result in different bonuses.
  • Skits - Berseria uses a slightly altered version of the usual Tales Skit system called "Variable Cut-in Chat", that makes the skits more expressive and dynamic.
  • Minigames - There's a collection of minigames to play in the game, such as a card game and a combat-based balloon-popping minigame.
  • Ship Exploration - You eventually come into possession of a scouting ship, which similar to the cats in Xillia 2 you can send out to different place to collect various items and treasures.

Rpgmonkey

Hopefully it's ok that I threw this out a little early as I wouldn't be able to post it for a while and I think the digital version unlocks in a few hours? I assume this thread isn't going to generate much discussion anyway. :p

Not really any expectations going into this. If it's something I can enjoy playing around with for a few weeks until Persona 5 comes out next month I'll be satisfied. Hook me up for once Bamco...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hopefully it's ok that I threw this out a little early as I wouldn't be able to post it for a while and I think the digital version unlocks in a few hours? I assume this thread isn't going to generate much discussion anyway. :p

Not really any expectations going into this. If it's something I can enjoy playing around with for a few weeks until Persona 5 comes out next month I'll be satisfied. Hook me up for once Bamco...

It shouldnt matter for smaller titles. Since in general with things like OTs and whatnots the mods only tend to get irritated if larger releases get tossed up way too early. Smaller stuff they dont seem to mind as long as its not something silly like 1 week before launch. Where in that case they will lock / unlock it when it gets closer.

I'm pretty interested in how this will be received by the fanbase.

Zestiria was actually the straw that broke the camel's back IMO and made me almost completely lose interest in the series. I'll probably get Berseria if it's better but not day one. Gave the series too many chances, all for nothing.

What're the odds that this one finally makes interesting world/dungeon spaces again after the garbage-tier spaces we've had since Xillia 1?

wrowa

Zestiria was actually the staw that broke the camels back IMO and made me almost completely lose interest in the series. I'll probably get Berseria if it's better but not day one. Gave the series too many chances, all for nothing.

Yeah, that's where I am as well. My interest in the Tales series has pretty much died with Zestiria, I lost any remaining hope that they have what it takes to turn the ship around again.

Maybe Berseria is actually somewhat of a return to form, but after the Xillias and Zestiria I just don't feel like giving Tales another chance.

Zalman

Looking forward to some impressions. I haven't played a Tales game in a long time and I'm considering this one.

FSLink

Banned
The demo was decent enough for me to order it. Ordered from Amazon.JP so it might be a bit for me to get my copy.

Hopefully the battle system isn't so button mashy like it was in the demo (likely due to no difficulty switch and/or higher level or skills available?).

I actually quite enjoyed the characters and world in Zestiria, so Berseria expanding upon it is quite welcomed. But the gameplay was really weak in Zestiria which is like 90% of why I enjoy Tales of games so this better improve on it a lot.

I'm pretty interested in how this will be received by the fanbase.

Zestiria was actually the staw that broke the camels back IMO and made me almost completely lose interest in the series. I'll probably get Berseria if it's better but not day one. Gave the series too many chances, all for nothing.
Same here, zestiria showed me that I don't care anymore.

Looking forward to hearing impressions. Despite the criticisms I have of the series, I've still bought every PS3 (and PS4) Tales game at launch so far. Zestiria had a lot of problems, but I still enjoyed my time with it.

Interesting that Eizen is in this, I didn't realise that!

Cornbread78

Oh man, gonna be a long wait for NA.

The two episodes that aired with the Tales of Zestiria the X anime to introduce the story were awesome!

TEJ

I'm on the same train as those who hated zestria. Which is a shame because I kind of liked zillia1-2 and graces.

Hoping this game is good. If not i'll just go back to waiting for tales of vesperia to be added to xbox one b/c.

Kysen

I liked the Zestria story/characters but at 8k yen gonna wait a bit for impressions. Got burned already on SO5 buying at release.

Bladenic

There's a part of me that wanted to import but nah, I'll wait for English. Haven't played the demo yet, should get around to it.

Heyt

Banned
The hyperbolic hate reactions around Zestiria never cease to amuse me because they never end.

Very interested in know how this turns out but I'm under the impression this one is going to be much safer and boring overall.

Ydelnae

Apparently
it's revealed that Zestiria and Berseria might be taking place in the same universe as Phantasia and Symphonia lol

Fisico

I want to import it but I still don't own a PS4 and there's the Neo coming soon so...
And the PS3 SKU will most likely be a mess once again so it's not even an option.

Also waiting a little bit in case of bomba won't hurt (I still feel it for Zestiria and Jojo ASB recently lol)

Aeana

I've been waffling on whether I should get it or wait until a better time. I've bought every Tales game at release for as long as I can remember, but there's so much other stuff going on that I might sit this one out until later. The demo didn't really excite me much, but RPG demos rarely do.

FSLink

Banned
Apparently
it's revealed that Zestiria and Berseria might be taking place in the same universe as Phantasia and Symphonia lol

o_O, where'd you read that at?
EDIT: Found the reference, possible major spoilers obviously: https://twitter.com/Sourenga/status/765624183359438848

I'm thinking it might just be a reference or nod, but it would be kinda interesting if that was the case.

Can someone translate the picture in here? https://twitter.com/Sourenga/status/765623687437545472

Mendrox

Watched some streams and got some Xilia vibes which wasn't bad. Looked good and there were some spoilery things about Seres
she totally fights like Lailah - so she is surely Lailah when she gets reborn as a Seraph.

Zafir

The hyperbolic hate reactions around Zestiria never cease to amuse me because they never end.

Very interested in know how this turns out but I'm under the impression this one is going to be much safer and boring overall.

Game play wise, probably. Which is a shame really, I think it had a few neat ideas, but there was some stuff that didn't click with me. I never really liked the equip system, trying to get lines and stuff.

Story/character wise, Zestiria seems the one that went totally safe. As proven by Graces total lack of popularity, story is what people want more than solid game play. Berseria looks like it could deliver a bit more on that front, but well, it's still a Tales of story so it's never going to be an award winning novel.

Mifec

Watched some streams and got some Xilia vibes which wasn't bad. Looked good and there were some spoilery things about Seres
she totally fights like Lailah - so she is surely Lailah when she gets reborn as a Seraph.

She's a serpah from the start though.

malakim=seraph no?

Ydelnae

At least the marketing team didn't screw up big time again
we could have had an Alisha 2.0 situation with Seres. Interesting character that joins the party during the first hours of the game and then gets removed/replaced.

This time they even made sure she doesn't appear in menu screens and she doesn't even have her stats shown even though she joins the party and fights during battles, she even has victory poses from what I'm reading.

Mendrox

She's a serpah from the start though.

malakim=seraph no?

Afaik they are not the same.

Also the game is really interesting because of the Phantasia connections suddenly...reminds me that we don't even know what this world is called here.

Mifec

Just saw Artorius mystic arte.
Looks kinda like Yuri's

Also the game is really interesting because of the Phantasia connections suddenly...reminds me that we don't even know what this world is called here.

Pretty sure Eizen
like Edna is one.

FSLink

Banned

Could it possibly be
Derris Kharlan then?

So close...so close...

But I won't be able to play it right from the time it unlocks unfortunately :(
Gotta go into the family at that time, so I'll need to wait a few hours until I get back home.
But once I'm home I'm gonna play for 5-6 hours until it's time to sleep.

I can't wait!

Luigi87

Been looking forward to reading impressions on people who get the Japan release. I have Xillia, but haven't played it. Skipped Xillia 2,and skipped Zestiria, but am watching the anime for that. Being said Berseria has looked appealing to me since it's announcement.

kewlmyc

Looking forward to impressions. I couldn't bring myself to finish Zestiria, so hopefully the development team learned from their various mistakes and this game is actually good.

Aalvi

is zesteria really that bad? I played up until xillia 2 and consider Vesperia(PS3 especially) the best with Xillia 2 somewhat up there.

I have access to TOZ but maybe I should avoid it.

dnmt

Banned
is zesteria really that bad? I played up until xillia 2 and consider Vesperia(PS3 especially) the best with Xillia 2 somewhat up there.

I have access to TOZ but maybe I should avoid it.
It's literally the only Tales game that I couldn't bear to finish. Hell I couldn't even make it halfway through. It's straight garbage IMO.

Heyt

Banned
is zesteria really that bad?

No.

People like to act like if the game killed their parents.

It actually is much more than beareable to say the least. If it clicks with you you will enjoy the most inmersive Tales, one of the most creative system wise, and an unpretentious story about a ancient story geek becoming Tales of Jesus with a great cast and excellent music.

It's not perfect but it is not bad.It's far from mediocre as well.

I'm really liking the premise so far. The stories are more important than the gameplay (though not by much) for me, so hopefully I'll enjoy it. I never got past the first major town in Zestiria though, so I should probably finish that game since it's he same world. I enjoyed the story of Xillia 1 and especially 2 which a lot of people didn't like, so maybe Zestiria's plot would be ok for me? For reference I liked Abyss, Symphonia, Phantasia, and Vesperia, while I wasn't too fond of the Team Destiny games I played/saw.

How's the anime version of Zestiria? Is it at least an accurate adaptation like Abyss was?

aravuus

Equipment/Skill System

Berseria uses an equipment and skill system that's somewhat like a combination of various elements from Vesperia, Graces, and Zestiria.
  • Equipment - Each piece of equipment can have three types of skills: Master Skills, Refinement Skills, and Random Skills. Master Skills are like skills in Vesperia (or other games like Final Fantasy IX): the equipment has an ability attached that you can use while it is equippmed, and a certain number of points needed to master it. Once you've obtained the necessary number of points, the ability is learned permanently and the character will have it active even when you've removed the equipment. If you keep the equipment on, the ability on the equipment will actually combine with your learned skill, increasing its effectiveness. Refinement Skills are abilities attached to equipment that are unlocked as you use materials to refine it and improve its stats. Once an ability is unlocked, refining the equipment further can improve the efective of the ability. Random Skills are skills that appear on equipment at random, offering some sort of bonus or ability. Finally, equipment you aren't in need of anymore can be broken apart into materials for use on other equipment.
  • Titles - Berseria uses Titles again, and like most entries in the series you'll obtain many of them through certain events or from fulfilling special conditions in battles. Each Title levels, with certain requirements to level up, such as using Base Artes a certain number of times or reaching a certain level. As you level the Title, various skills on the Title will be unlocked, and you can swap around Titles depending on the skills you need.
  • Crystals - There are different crystals you can collect that unlock a wide array of abilities and features. For example, some will unlock difficulty modes, others will affect what kind of abilities you find on equipment that's dropped.

Oh my, this sounds... Perfect.

Looking forward to some impressions. With the battle system that seemed like a lot of fun after a quick try and the changes to the skill system, it literally can not be worse than Zestiria.

I hope the story is good, but Graces f showed me that Tales games are one of the rare RPGs where I'm fine with a shit story too. Most of them are just so much fun to play.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I wish I can say I'm participating in this thread but Zestiria burned me way too much for me to import. There's no way i can guarantee that the quality will be even decent anymore after the the shittiness of Zestiria.

No.

People like to act like if the game killed their parents.

It actually is much more than beareable to say the least. If it clicks with you you will enjoy the most inmersive Tales, one of the most creative system wise, and an unpretentious story about a ancient story geek becoming Tales of Jesus with a great cast and excellent music.

It's not perfect but it is not bad.It's far from mediocre as well.

What the fuck koolaid are you drinking?

Aeana

I wish I can say I'm participating in this thread but Zestiria burned me way too much for me to import. There's no way i can guarantee that the quality will be even decent anymore after the the shittiness of Zestiria.

What the fuck koolaid are you drinking?
Zestiria is very underwhelming and I'm not a fan, but it isn't dramatically worse than the games that came immediately before it. What gets me is people acting like there was some enormous quality drop between the Xillia games and Zestiria.

kayos90

Zestiria is very underwhelming and I'm not a fan, but it isn't dramatically worse than the games that came immediately before it. What gets me is people acting like there was some enormous quality drop between the Xillia games and Zestiria.

There's a serious drop in the game's combat and auxiliary system. Zestiria is by FAR one of the worst Tales games to grace this generation. It's conceptually sound on paper but the execution is not there. Not even close.

Bladenic

Zestiria wasn't bad but I did feel burned out pretty badly by the end in terms of battle system. With the awful equipment system and extreme emphasis on armatization I got tired of the game. Never did any post game stuff due to that. However, the cast was good (Lailah <3) and music too. Some environments looked lovely as well, though the awful repeated dungeons got annoying fast.

I honestly been on a mostly media blackout for Berseria so hopefully I can keep it up till the NA release.

Aeana

There's a serious drop in the game's combat and auxiliary system. Zestiria is by FAR one of the worst Tales games to grace this generation. It's conceptually sound on paper but the execution is not there. Not even close.
Zestiria's skill system is bad but Xillia is the game that replaced every system with shop build.

Kouriozan

Do you get stats again with level ups?
Platinum-ed Zestiria, I'm so ready to do the same with Berseria once it release here.

Cast and music in zesty were great, story and skill system were trash. Overall it was a fine game. 8/10 I'd give it... None of the tales games are masterpieces except maybe vesperia (which isn't even in my top 3 but is a well made game) so i don't get the insane hate for Xillia and zesty...

Anyways I'm still not sure on berseria in jp because I played zesty in English and idk how many terms i would have to adjust to... Hyouma, and now kuuma,etc. Might be easier to wait for English release which shouldn't be later than March

kayos90

Zestiria's skill system is bad but Xillia is the game that replaced every system with shop build.

Shopping system is a means to an end. It didn't directly affect combat. Only the numbers if you bought OP weapons at the time but even then it was limited by the amt of currency you can get. In zestiria the skill system which was shit had a direct impact on your combat capability and was prevalent from beginning to end. the skill system in zesty was dogshit.

Shifty1897

I really like Xillia, I think it's only the second Tales game I've played to completion, along with Symphonia. (I never finished Phantasia, Graces F, or Hearts R)

Will I like Berseria?

Kouriozan

Also curious to play it for the story, for example, anyone who played Zestiria know
how one of the Berseria party member will end.

Top Bottom