• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target doesn't know what a Wii U looks like

KillGore

They thought the Wii brand was stronger than the Nintendo brand so they were trying to ride the cash-cow that was the wii. Big mistake.

Sounds like the lazy designer fucked up more than anything else.

No, that's a pretty deliberate image. I don't think there is one official image of a Wii U Gamepad on top of a Wii, unless they literally dug into the depths of Wii U on Google Image Search.

This is sad. I think the Wii U needs a huge rebranding/relaunch. The consumer confusion is much worse than with DS/3DS.

...then again...the 3DS had the exact same issue, I think. But I don't see much confusion anymore now. Maybe Nintendo thinks they can overcome it...twice...in a row?

Wow if they only had the common sense to name it Wii 2.

It's not a lack of common sense, it's them not wanting to name it something so boring.

Yeah, it backfired but adding a number to something you made and value so much seems so lazy and uninspired.

They might very well have called it that back in the day though when they didn't think "philosophical" about everything.

It's not a lack of common sense, it's them not wanting to name it something so boring.

Yeah, it backfired but adding a number to something you made and value so much seems so lazy and uninspired.

They might very well have called it that back in the day though when they didn't think "philosophical" about everything.

And common sense if you aren't drastically changing the look of it. Funny how they even said they realized it with the 3DS and then apparently had amnesia for a year

MYE

No, that's a pretty deliberate image. I don't think there is one official image of a Wii U Gamepad on top of a Wii, unless they literally dug into the depths of Wii U on Google Image Search.

I've done plenty of publicity of this kind. Sometimes you get lazy and combine shit you have on a folder with a quick Google search image.

If you dont know much about the subject, you may fuck up and make the whole company you work for look like dumbasses in the process. It happens.

I'm glad people are not able to choose product names. Super Wii, seriously. It's worse than Wii U

It is.

It's not the 1990s anymore.

The games were great back then(and many still are) but the phrases and adjectives and slogans just don't resonate with today.

I think Nintendo Revolution would be a good name for the actual retail product though.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Some tremendously stupid people here making me irrationally mad for no good reason. Good work everyone. Clearly a lot of passionate gamers at GAF who pay attention to all aspects of the infuck i can't get through it

onQ123

The person who set this up had to know what they was doing & chances are it was just someone trolling & they succeeded lol

magnetic

Is there really so many people on GAF who have never seen what a Wii U look like? The first page is filled with people saying that. Using Google is hard.

The point is that the console should look different enough from the Wii to be instantly recognized as a new, different console. If you're saying people should "look it up on Google", then the design has already failed to differentiate it from the Wii.

And I'll also add that the "U" isn't a clear indication either. Remember DS, DS Lite, DSi? Why the hell should uninformed customers realize that the "U" indicates a new console and not just a hardware refresh? The best way would have been to call it "Wii 2". "Oh, it's the sequel!"

I can't believe people are blaming Nintendo for this. lol

Target designed the next Nintendo console to look almost identical to the one before it, to the point where it becomes a universal recognition problem that even Nintendo has admitted?

Target Designer Guy fucked up, but it's pretty indicative of the image problem the console has, not to mention quite a few people even on a gaming enthusiast board like GAF not immediately recognizing what the problem even was.

Is there really so many people on GAF who have never seen what a Wii U look like? The first page is filled with people saying that. Using Google is hard.

The Target ad shown is a full-page display and you're told "find what's wrong here". Your eyes scan for immediate discrepancies in what you believe to be right, and you look at the most obvious things like GamePad, the image inside it, the games advertised, and if the game names matching the games themselves. It's not hard to believe that I accidentally glossed over the details of the console itself, because with a very quick glance they're similar enough in design for your my eyes to register them as "the same". Not to mention the WiiU console is much bigger, so I wasn't expecting the Wii image to have been resized to match that of the WiiU. If I had seen it to scale accurately in comparison with the GamePad above it I would've been able to tell much easier.

MYE

Target designed the next Nintendo console to look almost identical to the one before it, to the point where it becomes a universal recognition problem that even Nintendo has admitted?

Target Designer Guy fucked up, but it's pretty indicative of the image problem the console has, not to mention quite a few people even on a gaming enthusiast board like GAF not immediately recognizing what the problem even was.

The iphone5 is just a taller Iphone4 with a darker rim. If someone advertises a 4 instead of a 5, its their fuck up 100%.
The Wii U's image problem has nothing to do with design. Its a marketing screw-up.

RomanceDawn

Wowzers, how awful. 4 or 5 years from now Nintendo needs to wise up with their design and name for a follow up console.

I noticed it's not the Wii U after a not so quick round of "find the differences" between them... the "Wii" doesn't have a "U" after it's name... i'm clever like that.

They should have branded the system as something else.

You know, like with the Wii.

It was backwards compatible and functioned with Gamecube controllers, but that didn't mean they called it the GamecUbe or something.

$h@d0w

I saw the image and thought what was wrong is that they were advertising Skylanders Wii and not the Wii U version.

Satchel

Banned
Some of the over exaggeration is a bit much.

They look very similar but Jesus not THAT similar. I can see how some random at Target who isn't into games could not tell the difference though. Which I guess is probably the problem for Nintendo right now.

-PXG-

You post on the Gaming side of NeoGAF. How in the fuck do you not know what a Wii U looks like? Sure, if you frequent the OT, I can understand. But if you spend any time here, come on. There is no excuse.

The iphone5 is just a taller Iphone4 with a darker rim. If someone advertises a 4 instead of a 5, its their fuck up 100%.
The Wii U's image problem has nothing to do with design. Its a marketing screw-up.

The trim is actually one of the most striking elements of the iPhone 4 and 5. It would become immediately obvious to a tech enthusiast when an iPhone 4 is marketed as 5 because their brain is trained to see silver trim on an iPhone in association with "4" and black in association with "5".

The design of the WiiU console, on the other hand, has no distinctive features to differentiate it, color or design wise. I had to actually pay attention to the details of the buttons and, most importantly, the name on the console to be able to tell the difference.

This issue could of course be mitigated with decent marketing, but the console on its own is not doing itself any favors.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hell I own a Wii U and it still took me awhile to figure out what was wrong with the image.

Oh lol same here...

I was like "I... don't see it"

Had I not seen the picture of the actual wii u I probably wouldnt have noticed :(

MYE

The trim is actually one of the most striking elements of the iPhone 4 and 5. It would become immediately obvious to a tech enthusiast when an iPhone 4 is marketed as 5 because their brain is trained to see silver trim on an iPhone in association with "4" and black in association with "5".

The design of the WiiU console, on the other hand, has no distinctive features to differentiate it, color or design wise. I had to actually pay attention to the details of the buttons and, most importantly, the name on the console to be able to tell the difference.

This issue could of course be mitigated with decent marketing, but the console on its own is not doing itself any favors.

Wii is square in form and detail design such as buttons etc, Wii U is rounded. If anyone needs to strain to find the differences then I dont know

I'd just like to point out that in the vast majority of cases - catalogue images are provided by the Advertiser themselves, or by a contracted media agency.

No one who creates catalogues will run an image without approval from the Advertiser or media agency. The images are also never created by Target/catalogue.

There are exceptions, but it's highly unlikely that Target had anything to do with making any of the creative decisions behind this image.

Raist

Banned
Wii is square in form and detail design such as buttons etc, Wii U is rounded. If anyone needs to strain to find the differences then I dont know

well of course' they're not 100% identical, but they're extremely similar, and to the person just having a quick look, or not being familiar with or aware of a new Nintendo system, it's gonna be rather confusing. It personally took me a while too.

Now if you had this on a print ad:
Main_PS3_Image_345w_2-02760.png

Saying "Brand new Playstation 4. $399.99" I doubt as many people would have trouble spotting the issue.

Top Bottom