• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target doesn't know what a Wii U looks like

I think some people are full of bad faith here. MANY consumers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between iPhone 1, iPhone 2, 3, 3G, 4GXDY, iPhone 36 or whatever.

I think some people a full of bad faith here. MANY consumers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between iPhone 1, iPhone 2, 3, 3G, 4GXDY, iPhone 36 or whatever.
True but apple has a way cooler pubic image. Apple phones and tables are must have devices the wii-u isn't.

BadAss2961

NV6gI.gif
Nintendo really couldn't have been lazier with the Wii U design.

Raist

Banned
I think some people a full of bad faith here. MANY consumers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between iPhone 1, iPhone 2, 3, 3G, 4GXDY, iPhone 36 or whatever.

Maybe not. But they sure as hell know that there's a new iPhone out and they want it like yesterday.

Yado

Target designed the next Nintendo console to look almost identical to the one before it, to the point where it becomes a universal recognition problem that even Nintendo has admitted?

Target Designer Guy fucked up, but it's pretty indicative of the image problem the console has, not to mention quite a few people even on a gaming enthusiast board like GAF not immediately recognizing what the problem even was.

The Target ad shown is a full-page display and you're told "find what's wrong here". Your eyes scan for immediate discrepancies in what you believe to be right, and you look at the most obvious things like GamePad, the image inside it, the games advertised, and if the game names matching the games themselves. It's not hard to believe that I accidentally glossed over the details of the console itself, because with a very quick glance they're similar enough in design for your my eyes to register them as "the same". Not to mention the WiiU console is much bigger, so I wasn't expecting the Wii image to have been resized to match that of the WiiU. If I had seen it to scale accurately in comparison with the GamePad above it I would've been able to tell much easier.

The console design has nothing to do with it, Nintendo could have called it the Wii2 and shoved the parts in unused Wii cases and this still wouldn't be their problem. It's a rectangular black box like almost every other console on the market. This is sloppy work and it falls on whoever designed the ad.

Enjay

Banned
I can't believe how long I spent looking at the OP thinking "What's the joke?" thinking the ad has it right...

vctor182

I think some people are full of bad faith here. MANY consumers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between iPhone 1, iPhone 2, 3, 3G, 4GXDY, iPhone 36 or whatever.

All they have to look for is the number (or letter), that should tell them the difference. Wii U doesn't have and being almost identifical to the Wii does not help.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

This doesn't matter for two reasons:

1) They're numbered (even if the numbers don't always make sense). Higher numbers mean better/newer products to the average consumer.

2) The general consumer knows that Apple releases an iPhone every year and that this year's iPhone is supposed to be so much better than last year's iPhone which was so much better than the year before.

Neither of these apply to the Wii U.

This doesn't matter for two reasons:

1) They're numbered (even if the numbers don't always make sense). Higher numbers mean better/newer products to the average consumer.

2) The general consumer knows that Apple releases an iPhone every year and that this year's iPhone is supposed to be so much better than last year's iPhone which was so much better than the year before.

Neither of these apply to the Wii U.

How is Wii -> Wii U different from iPhone 3 -> iPhone 3GS, or iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4 S ? There is no number change there.

All they have to look for is the number (or letter), that should tell them the difference. Wii U doesn't have and being almost identifical to the Wii does not help.

Same question. Also iPhones are almost identical, actually Wii -> Wii U is a slightly bigger change.

The Boat

I think the Wii U looking like a Wii was a bad idea, but I don't believe for a second everyone saying in this thread they don't know what it looks like or that they mixed them up.

Wii U is the ultimate test for costumers and employees.

"Hello there, I'm looking for that Tablet Controller for the Wii?"

"Um... yeah I think we have it.
Wait, sorry. it looks like it's not an add-on?"

"But it's called Wii, see?"

"Oh you're right uh! well uh, maybe it's a new console? No... wait the console looks exactly like the Wii"

"Really?"

"I don't really know, I think it's just a controller... Say, might I interest you in an Xbox One or PS4? You can pre-order it here!"

"Wow, really? That would be great!"

Ok is this a joke? I understand some random mom or dad not knowing what a Wii U looks like, but a GAF member? You should be as ashamed as Nintendo!
Honestly, I spent like 10 mins trying to work out what was wrong with the picture before noticing it wasn't a Wii U; they look really similar to each other.

vctor182

Same question. Also iPhones are almost identical, actually Wii -> Wii U is a slightly bigger change.
"S" and "X" letters in technology related products often mean that it's an improved version of a previous product. A normal consumer has more chances to see that a Wii S, Wii 2 or Wii X is an improved Wii.

Wii U might sound different, if it was alone, but it actually has to differentiate not just from the Wii but also from:
Wii Wheel
Wii Remote
Wii Balance Board
Wii Motion +
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii Play
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit +
Wii Play Motion
Wii Party

Which is why the normal consumer can't tell the difference from a simple view.

aronmayo2

Banned
I honestly couldn't have told you what a Wii U looked like until I saw one at PAX - surprise it's a Wii with rounded edges! Nintendo never shows the console itself in any of their marketing materials...or at least they don't champion it's design AT ALL because I never took any notice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It took me about thirty seconds to figure out what the mistake was. I thought it was something wrong with the gamepad maybe, hah.

vctor182

I totally get why Nintendo designed Wii U like the Wii (or perhaps they redesigned the Wii to look like Wii U). They wanted to have a product that the expanded audience was familiar with, like how iPhones and iPads are similar. But naming it Wii U instead of Wii 2 was their goddamn error, they have so many Wii related accesories and the Wii U box has the gamepad as main attraction so people mistakenly think it's a tablet accesory

Wow. That's sad. That really tells you how freaking badly Nintendo has advertised it right there when even the people selling it don't realize that's not a WII U.

So the marketing people at a retailer messed up, and I that means Nintendo messed up? You do realize that there's a strong possibility that the person who made that ad doesn't even play video games. Them knowing the difference between a Wii and Wii U is like you knowing the difference between crest ultra and crest whitening burst.

I never really noticed how the U part of the logo seems separate from the rest of it, no wonder people are confused.

Edit: Damn beaten to it.

Last night my partner asked what the new black box next to the TV was and I just told her it was a Wii.

#partoftheproblem

I did it in anticipation of the next question on how much it cost...

jmood88

I still don't understand why they didn't use Revolution instead of Wii. Revolution sounds cool in just about every language and makes a lot more sense than whatever the hell Wii is.

MrDaravon

I have never seen a wii with my own eyes, but had a general idea what it looked like. I would have never known what the problem with the ad was.

Same here, add me to the enormous laundry list of posters who had to look at the actual Wii U pic to tell the difference. If "core" gamers nearly a year after release can't accurately identify the system as compared to the previous one, it's hardly a surprise that the casual crowd still doesn't even know it exists or thinks the gamepad is just an add-on. It's actually kind of hilarious how bad Nintendo utterly dropped the ball on the marketing and branding of this thing.

WillyFive

I still don't understand why they didn't use Revolution instead of Wii. Revolution sounds cool in just about every language and makes a lot more sense than whatever the hell Wii is.

The idea was that the Wii name was unique and different (and it was in 2006) so that simply hearing the name made it sound crazy, funny, mysterious and exciting. Having it be Nintendo Revolution would make it sound like another game console; which after the Gamecube being exactly that, Nintendo did not want.

I liked the Revolution name, but the Wii name was genius.

Speevy

Banned
Boss: "I have the perfect name. "Wii U."

Marketing guy: "But sir, Wii sales dropped off more dramatically than any platform in recent memory."

Boss: "What is your name, son?"

Marketing guy: "My name is Bill, sir."

Boss: "Bill, I have a task for you. I want you to leave the office today and research possible alternatives for our new console's name. Please take your things with you. It might be a long trip."

*locks door*

WillyFive

Marketing guy: "But sir, Wii sales dropped off more dramatically than any platform in recent memory."

Boss: "Bill, I have a task for you. I want you to leave the office today and research possible alternatives for our new console's name. Please take your things with you. It might be a long trip."

*locks door*

This puts the blame on the Wii brand rather than the U of the name; which is misguided since the Wii continues to outsell it.

I noticed the mistake right away and thought Target really fucked up.

Then I read page after page of replies from people saying they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the picture. Nintendo, you really fucked up.

Tuck

Even a name as trite as Wii 2 would have solved this problem.

Probably. :p

Wii 2 is pretty much the only way they could have used the Wii name.

People thinking Super Wii would have solved this probem are kidding themselves.

Of course, the problem goes beyond the name. The fact that they continue to use Wii Remotes alongside the gamepad, rather than the pro-controller is mind bogglingly stupid. Of course people think its just an add-on when they present it as such.

Biker19

Banned
LMAO. Oh, wow; I'm just cracking up.

There's barely any difference between the two consoles outside of one having a U after Wii.

Nintendo fucked up horribly at designing and naming the console.

No doubt. You would think that they have learned their lesson from the naming & design of the 3DS, but no.

How the fuck do gamers on this forum not know what the system looks like. I mean, really?

I never cared for or wanted to buy a Virtual Boy, 3D0, CD-i or whatever other failed platform out there, but for the sake of my interest in the hobby, I at least know what they're about.

This is Nintendo's own fault. Not only did they make the Wii U look very identical to the Wii "redesign," but they gave it the same name as it's predecessor & made it even more confusing by sticking the letter "U" after it.

MYE

*locks door*

Wii dropped off beause nintendo dropped it off, not the general public.

WillyFive

So your contention is that the Wii brand is healthy, just not the Wii U. On what basis?

I feel that Nintendo wanted to take advantage of the Wii brand (which has very wide brand recognition), but instead got trampled by it due to having the name seem like a subset of the Wii brand rather than a new installment of it (add-on vs. a new console).

I think there are those that would be interested in a new next-generation Wii console ("Nintendo keeps making all these dumb add-ons like Wii Fit and Wii U, when will they make a new system"), but obviously there is very little evidence out there one exists, unless you are in-the-know about games (like reading GAF).

Because really, the Wii brand and legacy is about the Wii remote, it's what got people hooked and playing games; which the Wii U doesn't even include.

Highwind

This is Nintendo's fault for choosing such a horrible name for their system.

Should have just called it the Super Wii or Wii 2 (Super Wii is what I would have chosen).

Lyot

This is Nintendo's fault for choosing such a horrible name for their system.

Should have just called it the Super Wii or Wii 2 (Super Wii is what I would have chosen).

A change of name wouldn't have changed much the situation. Everything about this system screams "monumental fuck-up". Everything is an aberration: The name, repeated console design, the gamepad, the marketing, the price, the lack of games and third party support, lagging away in graphics again...

I mean, is there even a single thing Nintendo did good with the Wii U?

And believe it or not, I'm very sympathetic of Nintendo as a company, but they dropped the ball hard this time.

Biker19

Banned
You post on the Gaming side of NeoGAF. How in the fuck do you not know what a Wii U looks like? Sure, if you frequent the OT, I can understand. But if you spend any time here, come on. There is no excuse.

Ok is this a joke? I understand some random mom or dad not knowing what a Wii U looks like, but a GAF member? You should be as ashamed as Nintendo!

Heck, GAF members themselves were confused about this system in which they thought that it was something like a upgraded Wii or thought that it was a Wii add-on back when the system &/or the controller was revealed.

Who could blame them? The one to blame for all of this is Nintendo themselves for making the product too confusing for people.

I also had no clue what was wrong with it. I brought it up to the wife and she thought, just like everyone else, that the wii u was an add on to the wii. I asked had it been named wii 2 would that have helped, she said yes...

Did they happen to do any market research on the wii u name? doubtful.

Top Bottom