• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teacher fired over "how comfortable are you" assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnid

Personally, I think it's fine and the aftermath just demonstrated we still aren't ready to have serious conversations with our teenaged kids about it. But on the execution side the content looks ripped from the internet (RA sensitivity training?) without really attempting to alter it and make it relevant.

The reaction doesn't seem congruent with the content on the questionnaire. Parents are reacting like talking about bias and race is the same as condoning racism. I'm genuinely curious as to how the kids would have responded, because that would say something about some of what their parents are teaching them.

As a parent, I would be bothered that such a delicate and complex subject is being treated with obvious carelessness by a teacher who doesn't seem to have spared a thought for age tailoring or even, apparently, read the questions. If my child told me they were forbidden to bring the questionnaire home to talk about it (something that might have had some value for some kids, actually!), that is another red flag. I would not have demanded she be fired or anything but the principal would certainly have heard my concerns.

There is value in discussing bias from a very young age within a peer group, but you have to put the tiniest bit of thought into it, at least.

Personally, I think it's fine and the aftermath just demonstrated we still aren't ready to have serious conversations with our teenaged kids about it. But on the execution side the content looks ripped from the internet (RA sensitivity training?) without really attempting to alter it and make it relevant.

I'm more than fine with addressing these issues in class (in fact welcome it), but as you said, it falls apart in the execution phase. (amusingly enough)

Camjo-Z

tfw at a gay bar when your paraplegic Palestinian Muslim roommate asks you to dance

What's a middle-schooler to do!?

Jag

My son is in a Florida public middle school with a hispanic majority of kids. You would think it would be a little more tolerant, but the shit he comes home with is infuriating.

Yesterday he was upset because they were told to put away their electronics and some kid said to the quiet Muslim girl, who is a friend of his, "you can put away your bomb". My son is Jewish and has been bullied as well. We were going to file a formal complaint about the bullying, but it calmed down after we met with the principal.

We're pulling him out of the shitty school system at the end of the year and sticking him in private school next year. Just glad we have the resources to do it.

My son is in a Florida public middle school with a hispanic majority of kids. You would think it would be a little more tolerant, but the shit he comes home with is infuriating.

Yesterday he was upset because they were told to put away their electronics and some kid said to the quiet Muslim girl, who is a friend of his, "you can put away your bomb". My son is Jewish and has been bullied as well. We were going to file a formal complaint about the bullying, but it calmed down after we met with the principal.

We're pulling him out of the shitty school system at the end of the year and sticking him in private school next year. Just glad we have the resources to do it.
lol if you think bullying and intolerance are less prevalent in private school

Mahonay

Banned
God damn it Florida

doc-rivers.gif

Kyuur

Assignment obviously has flaws (see gay bar question posed to 12 year olds) but the backlash is more offensive than the assignment itself. Reeks to me of the same kind of parents who don't want their kids to be taught about sexual preference.

HotHamBoy

Middle schoolers love hitting the bars.

Assignment obviously has flaws (see gay bar question posed to 12 year olds) but the backlash is more offensive than the assignment itself. Reeks to me of the same kind of parents who don't want their kids to be taught about sexual preference.

Did any of the questions ask how comfortable they were with a group of whites on the street or Christians?

Pizza

The assignment called ‘How comfortable am I?’ was allegedly intended to shine a light on biases and help children accept people of different cultures.
A school district spokesman said: ‘In no way does that assignment meet the standards of appropriate instructional material.’

Uuuuugh I can absolutely see where she was going with this assignment but she blew it. One of best ways to expose bias is by having the kids read/interact with modern day multicultural material that aligns with their age group. Not just MLK day or black history month, like just casually expose them to multiple viewpoints. It doesn't need to be extra special or treated as such, just drop Black Boy as a reading assignment.

The fact that she didn't want them to take it home says, to me, that she knew the idea was half baked. I'm sure if she put it in the context of a unit where it wouldn't be fucking out of place to address racial bias she could have stood her ground in any meeting and justified the assignment. Based on that assignment alone, she should have been hit with some sort of disciplinary measure for sure though.

There are waaaaay more appropriate ways to scaffold students into a certain mode of thinking. This isn't it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The material seems like reasonable measure of explicit prejudice... for adults. I'm not against adapting it for use with children on principle, but it would take a deft re-working. As it was actually handled, this outcome was predictable.

You know...

I actually believe this.

Yeah, the kids sound maybe a bit young and the assignment definitely could have used some, uh, refinement, but it's not completely outside of the sort of things talked about when I was in high school. I'm way more leery about the parental outrage.

Am I crazy in that I don't see anything wrong with that assignment? I imagine those questions are to point out your assumptions/prejudices.

I guess it's carelessly executed, but I definitely don't think an assignment like this is without merit. It seems like it was made, as others have point out, to highlight individual bias. People aren't always aware of their individual prejudices, and recognizing this stuff within one's self is the first step at becoming a better person. I think firing the teacher is going overboard here.

Edit: Yeah, the more I look at this story, the more the backlash/parent-outrage seems to fit the "florida" meme.

Josh7289

I like how the questions assume the students are white and straight.
This is the only problem with it, from what I can see.

I think addressing socially taught racial and other biases from an early age would actually benefit our society. The execution wasn't so great in this case though. So I don't think the teacher should have been fired, but perhaps directed to address these biases in a more inclusive way (which should also be the general policy of the school).

gfxtwin

It's not offensive, but obv there is a less outdated way to write those questions to elevate the discussion about them lol.

Colin.

Ahh, to be 12 again. Used to love hitting the gay bar with my room mate when happy hour was on, good times.

Kyuur

Did any of the questions ask how comfortable they were with a group of whites on the street or Christians?

Given that this is likely aimed to highlight and reflect on common biases in NA society, what purpose would such questions serve?

Adjust it to be age appropriate (if there isn't already an age appropriate bias questionnaire) then run it by the principal. And keep the responses anonymous and not even shared in aggregate; the important thing is that people think about their own biases. Maybe repeat it again a few weeks later after teaching about diversity and respect etc.

catbird

Neo Member
She obv downloaded a developed measure of bias and gave it to the kids. Should have revised it to be age appropriate.

I don't see any problem with the intent, though, and 12 y/os aren't naive little babes anymore. The questions were not that outrageous.

Hell, some I would probably have no problem asking my 7 y/o.

Should not have been fired for this alone.

catbird

Neo Member
Given that this is likely aimed to highlight and reflect on common biases in NA society, what purpose would such questions serve?

Would be good "baseline" questions. You are comfortable with X but not Y, then explore why that is.

TalonJH

Even if they weren't 12, I don't think most people would answer the questions truthfully anyway except for that student that wrote that essay at the Baton Rouge Catholic high school.

Don't understand how the outrage came about in the parents minds. Did the parents not understand the nature of the questionnaire or were they uncomfortable on a scale of 1-4?

Xe4

Banned
Good idea, garbage execution. Like others have said, lol at middle schoolers going to a gay bar.

It's super obvious he did not come up with it himself, and while I'm not entirely cool with him being fired, he was super dumb, especially as a new hire. Anything controversial like that at all you should probably run by your superiors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom