• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway sold 14k and it's made me depressed. See why it killed my cynicism inside.

roxya

The only information about Tearaway sales I've found is this (I can't link to the source as it seems it's banned from GAF, just google 'Tearaway sales'):

North America: 0.09m - 32.1%
+ Europe: 0.13m - 46.2%
+ Rest of the World: 0.06m - 21.7%
-----------------------
= Global 0.27m (271,884 units)

And it's nowhere near to what the OP says… Am I missing something?

That's from a website that makes up sales numbers from thin air.

Now I feel like the odd man out for not customizing my Atoi very much. I thought she was perfect the way she was! So I ended up just sticking random pieces of flair on her.

I'm with you! I used Atoi, and she's close to default... I kind of glammed her up, but she's in the spirit of the original.

Surely I already have by subscribing to PS+... ;-)

I know what you're saying but I bought: Unit13, Uncharted, Little Kings Story, Gravity Daze, Soul Sacrifice not to mention the PS3 games.....I just can't do it anymore.

Well, that's rather a spot of bad luck there old chum! Luckily you still just have those great video games to play anyway! Getting value, though, is of course quite important with a service such as PS+.

Now release both Puppeteer and Tearaway on something people actually own (like, you know, a PC!) and I guarantee word-of-mouth alone would drive sales through the roof. Heck, all they'd need is one WTF is... from TotalBiscuit!

Now release both Puppeteer and Tearaway on something people actually own (like, you know, a PC!) and I guarantee word-of-mouth alone would drive sales through the roof. Heck, all they'd need is one WTF is... from TotalBiscuit!

ERM not sure how you think Tearaway would work on anything but the Vita. Gyros, two touch screens and two cameras oh and the microphone.....

Not gonna happen, since both games are made by Sony internal studios, partially with the goal of pushing hardware sales. You should just buy a vita instead. Its a great companion for PC gaming since it's portable.

Texhex

Banned
WTF am I reading here?

VanWinkle

Yeah, Puppeteer is only available to an 80 million strong userbase. It could REALLY use more people...

About Tearaway, the game was completely designed for the unique input combination of the Vita. It wouldn't be the same game on another platform.

Puppeteer is bad and Tearaway would not work on a PC but I think this a troll post anyway

Bad? BAD? Your opinion is now invalid for me.

That's fine. Floaty platforming, bad boss fights and bad mechanics (scissors AKA mashsquare2platform) aside it was ok. But those are the most important parts in a platformer imo so I didn't enjoy it at all even though I forced myself to finish it. Maybe it's because I just came off playing New Super Luigi U which is an actual platformer, my expectations should have been set lower for a Sony one.

anyway this thread is about Tearaway, a game that is actually fantastic. No need to bog it down with bad platformer talk ;)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

You don't know anything about Tearaway if you think that it could work on anything other than Vita, for your info the gyro, the touchscreen, the rear touchpad, the microphone, the two cameras etc are integral part of the story, you can't just cut them without rewriting the entire story.

VanWinkle

That's fine. Floaty platforming, bad boss fights and bad mechanics (scissors AKA mashsquare2platform) aside it was ok. But those are the most important parts in a platformer imo so I didn't enjoy it at all even though I forced myself to finish it. Maybe it's because I just came off playing New Super Luigi U which is an actual platformer, my expectations should have been set lower for a Sony one.

anyway this thread is about Tearaway, a game that is actually fantastic. No need to bog it down with bad platformer talk ;)

Wait...you thought it had floaty platforming after playing NSLU? I would say that Luigi's jump is floatier than Puppeteer's. Puppeteer is not floaty. He has a set momentum and jump height that feel tightly grounded, with a quick return from the apex of his jump. The boss fights...I have honestly never seen a complaint about those until now. Those were some of the best, most creative and visually exciting boss fights I've EVER had in a platformer. The scissor mechanic, I can understand not being for everybody, but it has a great weight and momentum to it that feels really satisfying, and comes to several points in the game that require actual timing and skill.

I bought it new when it was $20 or whatever at Gamestop but I honestly can't really get into it. I like the visual style but little else. On the other hand, no point trading it in for a whopping two bucks. Going on the back burner for now.

ERM not sure how you think Tearaway would work on anything but the Vita. Gyros, two touch screens and two cameras oh and the microphone.....

WTF am I reading here?

Not gonna happen, since both games are made by Sony internal studios, partially with the goal of pushing hardware sales. You should just buy a vita instead. Its a great companion for PC gaming since it's portable.

Puppeteer is bad and Tearaway would not work on a PC but I think this a troll post anyway

You don't know anything about Tearaway if you think that it could work on anything other than Vita, for your info the gyro, the touchscreen, the rear touchpad, the microphone, the two cameras etc are integral part of the story, you can't just cut them without rewriting the entire story.

Very true, guys! I apologise for the drive-by post. I was not intentionally trolling, I just heard it's a good game and proceeded to shoot from the hip. It does indeed read like something extremely hard to reproduce on other platforms. Looks like I'll have to scrounge up someone who owns a Vita to experience it for myself (I myself am pretty much broke, hence my replaying of all the older titles I own and mentioned in other threads), so thanks for all the info and cheers to amir0x for the love letter.

Edit: Now, Journey with a proper PS4 controller driver for PC on the other hand... ;-)

You're yet another person I feel I should agree with more often than not, and yet I liked both Puppeteer and Vita Y's last year. You can just go ahead and put me on ignore now

Friendly advice, don't let this drift toward port begging creep into more obvious threads, or you'll be gone in a week.

You're yet another person I feel I should agree with more often than not, and yet I liked both Puppeteer and Vita Y's last year. You can just go ahead and put me on ignore now

Haha, I don't feel the need to use ignore on anyone. If I didn't want to see opinions differing from my own I don't think I'd be on such a big gaming forum :)

tsab

Is it VITA TV compatible (with a PS4 controller I guess)?
I want to play it but I am not going to buy another handheld device for just 1 game (since I game mostly at home).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I want to play it but I am not going to buy another handheld device for just 1 game (since I game mostly at home).
No, and likely never will be. It uses the rear touch quite a bit.

It also depends on the camera throughout the whole game.

And the touch screen.

It's a game that couldn't exist anywhere else.

greenfish

Banned
You sir are pretty pathetic to use the word "depression" for something as trivial as a videogame. By the time a depression really finds you, I hope you will remember when you made this topic about a videogame.

Highly doubt it. You'd still need back touch and camera. In theory you could find substitutes for those on the PS4 (using the touchpad for back touch as well as front, though that might mess up one or two puzzles--can't remember if you ever need to use both at once), but there's no camera substitute on the Vita TV. And that's just considering technical substitutions, without going into gameplay tweaks that would probably need to happen to accommodate them.

FWIW I play most of my handheld games at home too. Turns out comfy couch/big screen gaming sometimes loses out to comfy bed gaming. Worth considering!

You sir are pretty pathetic to use the word "depression" for something as trivial as a videogame. By the time a depression really finds you, I hope you will remember when you made this topic about a videogame.
Are you salty about Depression Quest getting greenlit?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You should re-read this post and look at how you used words like 'pathetic' and 'trivial' with regards to depression. After that, check to make sure you really got the right point across.

I'd say you didn't.

zychi

Banned
i wouldve bought this game if it didnt have any touch controls.

also psplus will have it by the end of the year, and that saves me money

Paracelsus

Trails in the Sky as of 2011 had sold like 10k copies and it's 10k times better than FFXIII so yeah, sad state of affairs.

KalBalboa

Banned
i wouldve bought this game if it didnt have any touch controls.

also psplus will have it by the end of the year, and that saves me money

Eh, don't bet on it. Plus, $19 on sale versus $50 in a PS plus yearly sub... why not just buy it?

It's excellent. And the touch controls are what make the game.

Oersted

The marketing priority is on PS4 and games like Killzone. Capitalism.

Eh, don't bet on it. Plus, $19 on sale versus $50 in a PS plus yearly sub... why not just buy it?

It's excellent. And the touch controls are what make the game.

Hearing this regarding a Sony game is so surreal xD

Tearaway is one of two Vita games I want (the other being Gravity Rush). Still not enough for me to buy a Vita yet, though.

That said, I'm hoping the gameplay in Tearaway is actually fun. Not that I have heard the gameplay in this game is bad or anything, but people evangelizing it tend to focus mostly on its narrative and art direction, which worries me. Frankly, I don't much give a shit about narrative or "escapism" like Ami put it, and good art direction, while nice, will only carry a game so far. Give me fun, deep, and engaging gameplay and I'll be happy. I hope Tearaway provides that.

test_account

XP-39C²
DS and touch control (gimmicky controls and all that) had lots of bad blood, especially compared to the more conventional PSP. But we are going offtopic here.
I understand. I think that belongs in the past though, i'm not sure that anyone have that opinion about the DS anymore (unless they dont like touch gaming in general though).

Yaoibot

I bought the game; so I did my part for artsy-fartsy games, which I usually like - Rain, Puppeteer. etc.. Still, I couldn't play for more than an hour. It was too 'endearing' if that makes sense. I felt like the game was trying way too hard to charm me, laying on every bit of cuteness and quirky appeal, as if it were a basket full of mewling kittens. Actually that would be irresistibly adorable. So a moral laden children's movie then, that was hammering its message down your throat. That's what it felt like to me. Couldn't get into it. I would say that the audience it appeals to is niche. I don't think its a marketing issue, its just not as widely engaging as LBP.

Just finished the game and that was... magical!

I think it starts off with the wrong impression. It's charming and fun to look at at first, but you really can't do much more than that.

It get's so much better once gain some abilities.

It took a while to get into it, but I truly fell in love with the story, the characters and just the world in general.

This game deserved/deserves so much more attention. It's not the best in terms of general gameplay, but the feeling of being part of the story, of attachment to the characters is just so rare.

And all this on a handheld...

namDa65

I just finished the game after buying the game full price a week ago. I should have bought this at launch. One of my favorite titles of all time.

jorgegus

Neo Member
Here's hoping Unfolded brings the sales up to what it deserves!

I hope it will, I'm going to buy it day one, I don't have a psvita and I really want to play it but apparently only a few know that Unfolded is coming to ps4 :( even in this thread it hasn't been mentioned but a couple of times

Top Bottom