• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech journalist and Microsoft insider Paul Thurrott: "Xbox has never been profitable"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As silly as it was, at least the "Microsoft is going to sell off Xbox to another company" rumors from a couple years ago at least made logical sense.

The idea that Microsoft is going to just kill off a billion-dollar brand name is absurd though.

How about a 7 billion dollar purchase like Nokia? If it is strategically relevant they'll invest heavily. If it doesn't deliver what they expect they'll shut it down

They're pushing mixed reality via a licensed hardware model, and making their first party games available on the windows store. I could totally see them exiting the hardware market and instead licensing the Dell Xbox and supporting with their core games on windows as well

How about a 7 billion dollar purchase like Nokia? If it is strategically relevant they'll invest heavily. If it doesn't deliver what they expect they'll shut it down

They're pushing mixed reality via a licensed hardware model, and making their first party games available on the windows store. I could totally see them exiting the hardware market and instead licensing the Dell Xbox and supporting with their core games on windows as well

I thought MS bought Nokia for access to their plethora of mobile technology patents? Then when some company infringes on one of them they can sue.

They're pushing mixed reality via a licensed hardware model, and making their first party games available on the windows store
. I could totally see them exiting the hardware market and instead licensing the Dell Xbox and supporting with their core games on windows as well
Dahell they own the windows store why wouldn't they make they games available? Licensing xbox would mean they lose all kinds of licensing rights and fees make zero sense

for me it seems you have something to lose here. as i said if somebody gives me a more factual reason i have no issue to change my stance here. you haven given me none so far.

btw any insider can give further evidence without outing his sources. as we see every day looking into the news. btw in the filings is more information than you might see if you take the information in there and and add industry benchmarks to it.

on a personal note: i also like to be adressed without the attempt of insulting me. thanks in advance.

edit:
seeing the pattern here it brings you nearer to the person you mentioned than me tbh:
a) strong believer in one insider
b) getting personal if not able to provide some sort of evidence or reasoning

just saying.

edit2:
btw i can live with it to agree to disagree on this matter.

Wow, that escalated quickly.

I wasn't intending to offend at all. I simply don't understand your position on the matter. You're effectively saying that you're more willing to make a conclusion on the matter of the health of MS's Xbox business based on financial reports that offer no information at all, than simply not make any conclusions...

...it also seems that you've completely missed the point of what I'm arguing with you. I'm not saying that I'd rather believe Thurrott myself over the MS financials. I'm saying that I'd rather leave the possibility open that Thurrott could be right or wrong and simply not jump to any conclusions in the first place because we're clearly lacking facts.

If you found anything offensive in my previous post then I apologize as it wasn't intended, but clearly I'm drilling you pretty hard because from the outset in this thread you seem like an intelligent poster, and yet despite that you seem to be holding fast to an insistence to conclude on the matter of MS Xbox business' financial health without any actual facts to base it on... frankly... and i mean this in the nicest possible way... that's rather unintelligent, imho.

jtb

Banned
I imagine it depends heavily on the accounting for the Xbox OG era where the company lost billions and billions. If you count it as a sunk cost, the business has probably flirted with break even a couple times. If not, the business will never turn a profit because the hole is too large to climb out of. Kind of like how the PS3 wiped out all of the PS1 and PS2 profits in its first few years.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Still must be viable for MS to be invested in it. Goal is to bring new customers to the ecosystem fold/GaaS model and keep them subscribed. Bringing them in should be the easy part. Keeping them subscribed however, will take much more commitment/work.

Colbert

Banned
Wow, that escalated quickly.

I wasn't intending to offend at all. I simply don't understand your position on the matter. You're effectively saying that you're more willing to make a conclusion on the matter of the health of MS's Xbox business based on financial reports that offer no information at all, than simply not make any conclusions...

...it also seems that you've completely missed the point of what I'm arguing with you. I'm not saying that I'd rather believe Thurrott myself over the MS financials. I'm saying that I'd rather leave the possibility open that Thurrott could be right or wrong and simply not jump to any conclusions in the first place because we're clearly lacking facts.

If you found anything offensive in my previous post then I apologize as it wasn't intended, but clearly I'm drilling you pretty hard because from the outset in this thread you seem like an intelligent poster, and yet despite that you seem to be holding fast to an insistence to conclude on the matter of MS Xbox business' financial health without any actual facts to base it on... frankly... and i mean this in the nicest possible way... that's rather unintelligent, imho.

I also don't say he cannot be right. I only say I see not evidence for it that Xbox was "never" profitable.

To the point "this escalated quickly": I have not seen a single case to be compared to the person you mentioned was meant to be a compliment. But lets just forget that.

Let's move on to the thing I assume we both like to do more than writing wall of texts which is playing some video games!

Edit:
My last comment on the matter.

I also don't say he cannot be right. I only say I see not evidence for it that Xbox was "never" profitable.

You actually spent most of the thread trying to dispute Thurrott's credibility. So you will forgive me for not seeing where you gave room for the possibility that he might actually be speaking the truth. It certainly hasn't come across that way with your posts.

To the point "this escalated quickly": I have not seen a single case to be compared to the person you mentioned was meant to be a compliment. But lets just forget that.

The wording makes it difficult to understand what you're saying here.

Let's move on to the thing I assume we both like to do more than writing wall of texts which is playing some video games!

Oh, I've been enjoying both I assure you. NeoGaf is how I spend my breaks between gaming sessions ;-)

Top Bottom