• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen blasts NWA's "Fuck tha Police" during slain officers funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.
An upcoming protest, either externally or self organized? Any other moment when the police pass en masse such as a parade, march, or literally any other group activity than a funeral? A town hall meeting, open city council meeting, on the corner in front of the police station, standing outside the local news agency of his choice, etc. I dunno. It seems like any number of other moments would be perfectly fine. This was a funeral for a cop- seemingly not even hated, maybe even liked?- who was killed by someone for being a cop- I don't think you could pick a worse moment.

Like, I get it- there's a bunch of risk to protesting outside your home, (and apparently in your home as well, for that matter) and the kid is dealing with something I'll never know, so I can't imagine how he feels. That's why I think his actions are fine and he doesn't deserve any punishment for this, only sympathy. I'd just personally have liked to see some empathy for the family as well.

anything to not inconvenience the cops.

The only other "publications" I've seen running it are the mail and the daily caller so I dunno
So why the hell is this thread even still open? Why is everyone getting their chonies knotted for what is probably not even a legitimate story, about a kid who doesn't exist, who if he even is real doesn't have a story with records of the two people killed by police? The fuck mods

Jesus Christ, even looking for it the only other thing I can find besides the NYPost and NeoGAF is a reddit post on r/ProtectandServe, a website called deathandtaxes that pretty much quotes this one word for word and some other forum called Dogshed or something.

Schattenjäger;243210643 said:
— prompting a house call from about 20 officers.

For the record, a funeral definitely isn't the time or place to stage a protest, but shit like that is exactly why cops have such a shit reputation.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
So why the hell is this thread even still open? Why is everyone getting their chonies knotted for what is probably not even a legitimate story, about a kid who doesn't exist, who if he even is real doesn't have a story with records of the two people killed by police? The fuck mods
NY Post is a legitimate local news source - yes it's right leaning but it's still legitimate

Nepenthe

Jesus Christ, even looking for it the only other thing I can find besides the NYPost and NeoGAF is a reddit post on r/ProtectandServe, a website called deathandtaxes that pretty much quotes this one word for word and some other forum called Dogshed or something.

Oh dear.

traveler

Not Wario
anything to not inconvenience the cops.

His actual protest didn't inconvenience the cops; they chose to pursue up to his apartment of their own volition. I'd argue you could make more of an inconvenience and, consequently, a statement at other moments/venues.

Regardless, I'm not really sure what we're arguing about here- I said that, given all the context, the kid was fine; I just made the remark I did out of empathy for the grieving family. What is your preferred position exactly? That the family does not deserve empathy as well? That, in having their funeral be public, they've waived the right to privacy/sensitivity? Genuinely asking here.

Schattenjäger;243224359 said:
NY Post is a legitimate local news source - yes it's right leaning but it's still legitimate
But like, nothing is adding up with this. No proof, no evidence, the minor's face and name on a publication, a 16 year old living with just a roommate, his "friend and brother" might not even exist. This is fishier than my local beach was a few years ago when a bunch fish got trapped in the bay and died within a couple days

EDIT: guess he lives with family, not just a roommate.

mjp2417

Banned
So like is this story even real? Google gives me fucking NeoGAF for my third search result.

I mean, it's a story about a 16 year old minority playing loud music and that said loud music is scary black people music. Its only public interest is to racist white people reading right wing rags like The New York Post who need another data point confirming that yes brown people are indeed violent thugs and the NYPD should continue to have free reign to do things like choke them to death for selling loosies.

jiiikoo

Banned
Schattenjäger;243224359 said:
But they have published stories that have been false? I think they published stories that turned out to be false about the Boston Marathon bombings. So it stands to reason, that they might've published a false story about this too?

That is why I, for one, like other news outlets to corroborate the story.

I mean, it's a story about a 16 year old minority playing loud music and that said loud music is scary black people music. Its only public interest is to racist white people reading right wing rags like The New York Post who need another data point confirming that yes brown people are indeed violent thugs and the NYPD should continue to have free reign to do things like choke them to death for selling loosies.
Yeah a story about a little punk being a piece of shit, with nothing at all to back it up. If he even exists. It feels weird.

It's also the perfect article to get GAF riled up and angry with hardly reading the article itself. Got people in here hating cops, people in here bashing the imaginary punk, people st each other's throats over something that... could entirely be about as real as Kraft cheese slices

To be fair I have no problem believing it did happen. I mean they have a picture of the kid with his stereo.

Seems like a lot of work to fake a photograph for a piece that isn't going to get a lot of traction anyway.

Mainstream press probably isn't picking it up because a) It's such a small story and b) they don't feel like putting some 16 year old id on blast

Schattenjäger;243224869 said:
Well Fox News lol picked it up

http://nation.foxnews.com/2017/07/11/teen-blasted-f-tha-police-during-slain-officer-s-funeral

Let's see if any one else does

NY Post has been around forever

Do you understand what's happening, young man

This is an excerpt from the Post

To be fair I have no problem believing it did happen. I mean they have a picture of the kid with his stereo.

Seems like a lot of work for a piece that isn't going to get a lot of traction anyway.

Feels like it could go either way at this point.

Tommy DJ

Just because you've been around forever doesn't mean you're actually a reputable news source.

News of the World in the UK ran from 1843 to 2011 and no one in their right mind would call it reputable or even trustworthy.

traveler

Not Wario
Regardless of whether it did or didn't happen, it's still interesting fodder for discussion on the boundaries of acceptable protest, but, yeah, seems pretty weird no one else is running this....

Even that Fox news post is just a link to the NY Post article, not an independently created article.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Let us try to see if we can find some other sources before we continue this scintillating thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom