• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD officer shot and killed in unprovoked attack

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-shot-bronx-suspect-custody-article-1.3301718

An NYPD officer shot while sitting in a police vehicle in the Bronx has died, authorities said early Wednesday.

The slain officer was identified as Miosotis Familia, 48, a 12-year veteran of the police force. She was assigned to the 46th Precinct.

Two cops gunned down Familia’s alleged assailant during an exchange of fire after he blasted the mobile command post parked near E. 183rd St. and Creston Ave. around 12:30 a.m., according to police sources and Commissioner James O'Neill.

Surveillance footage shows the suspected 34-year-old shooter marching toward the command post “with purpose,” the source said.

Post article

http://nypost.com/2017/07/05/nypd-officer-shot-on-duty-in-critical-condition/

cromofo

Sometimes we tend to forget how fucking dangerous is to be a cop. Literally putting their lives on the line each day. That's what they've signed up for but still.

RIP

Arttemis

Terrible, disgusting, and tragic.

And surely this will lead to twenty more shootings where the police are found justified when using lethal force for being fearful of their life when looking at a minority.

I can't even imagine...my heart prayers and complete thoughts are with this woman who placed her life on the line to protect people. So sad.

Sometimes we tend to forget how fucking dangerous is to be a cop. Literally putting their lives on the line each day. That's what they've signed up for but still.

RIP
Don't know where you live, but I don't think any red blooded American could really forget how dangerous the profession can be in the US compared to other developed countries. We're constantly pissed, in financial trouble, drugged up or packing heat.

Darksol

RIP

Statistically it's much more dangerous to be black in America than a cop in America.

Darksol

Glad the suspect was killed immediately, that piece of shit. RIP to the officer

And the relevance to this thrread is... what, exactly?

Just an open question really. Police officers are a chosen occupation fraught with the potential for great danger and even death. I have relatives in the force and I've heard their stories.

Being anything other than white in America comes with many of the same dangers, albeit they aren't given any choice in the matter.

Any unnecessary death is unfortunate, be it cop or victim of cop.

Statistically it's much more dangerous to be black in America than a cop in America.

If we are purely talking about involvements with police, then

135 police officers died in the line of duty last year out of approximately 900,000 officers
266 black people died at the hands of police last year out of approximately 40,000,000 black people.

cromofo

If we are purely talking about involvements with police, then

135 police officers died in the line of duty last year out of approximately 900,000 officers
266 black people died at the hands of police last year out of approximately 40,000,000 black people.

Wasn't aware of this, thanks.

I'd take crime involvement percentage of those killed black people into consideration too.

From what I've read on GAF, it seemed like there was an epidemic of US cops killing black people for no reason. This puts it into perspective.

Each life lost is a shame, nonetheless.

rackham

Banned

RIP

No we don't forget. We just have too many cops who are TOO AFRAID for their own life -even when it's not in danger.

Miles X

Very sad, R.I.P

Pathetic people coming in here trying to detract from the story as if her death doesn't matter.

Wasn't aware of this, thanks.

I'd take crime involvement percentage of those killed black people into consideration too.

From what I've read on GAF, it seemed like there was an epidemic of US cops killing black people for no reason. This puts it into perspective.

Each life lost is a shame, nonetheless.

Not sure it's an epidemic .. but it's certainly a problem, undeniable. Unfortunately a lot here like to taint every police officer or even a majority 'If you're a police officer you're part of the establishment therefore you're evil' I've literally heard this posted here. Little do they know how dumb they are to expect every police officer to quit? I dunno what they're trying to say with those comments.

cromofo

Not sure it's an epidemic .. but it's certainly a problem, undeniable. Unfortunately a lot here like to taint every police officer or even a majority 'If you're a police officer you're part of the establishment therefore you're evil' I've literally heard this posted here. Little do they know how dumb they are to expect every police officer to quit? I dunno what they're trying to say with those comments.

It is a problem, but it looks like it's exaggerated on here which ends up with people generalising every police officer and it creates a toxic environment.

I expected those numbers to be way higher from what I've read on GAF is what I'm saying.

Miles X

It is a problem, but it looks like it's exaggerated on here which ends up with people generalising every police officer.

I expected those numbers to be way higher from what I've read on GAF is what I'm saying.

Well yeah, most things on GAF are dramatised. You're not popular if you don't buy into 'it' with full vigor.

jchap

When nearly every single incident gets a threat its easy to lose the true scope of a problem in a country with hundreds of millions of people. For example, mass shooting deaths make up something like 0.01% of all fatalities in the US.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It is a problem, but it looks like it's exaggerated on here which ends up with people generalising every police officer and it creates a toxic environment.

Try telling black folks that police brutality is an "exaggerated" problem.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Auch. The confrontational climate helps nobody, and surely not law enforcement personnel : (

RIP

It's really not that dangerous, though. Slightly less than a taxi driver, slightly more than an electrician.

cromofo

Try telling black folks that police brutality is an "exaggerated" problem.

We're talking about killings.

According to that stat, way more officers are killed than black people, even assuming majority of those people were innocent, which most likely they were not.

Makes me feel as though officers should be out of their patrol cars more.

Not only would they be making themselves visible in the community as friendly faces, they'd also be giving themselves more of a fighting chance. Basically no way to defend from an attack coming from a blind spot when you're stuck in a car.

jWILL253

Banned
This shouldn't have happened, and my prayers are with the family of the victim.

I see some people are already coming out the woodwork trying to use this as an opportunity to downplay police brutality, tho. Y'all sloppy fucks ain't slick.

Terrible, disgusting, and tragic.

And surely this will lead to twenty more shootings where the police are found justified when using lethal force for being fearful of their life when looking at a minority.
You do realize this shit happens at a monumentally higher margin then cop abusing his power by being a pos, right?

cromofo

I see some people are already coming out the woodwork trying to use this as an opportunity to downplay police brutality, tho. Y'all sloppy fucks ain't slick.

Try again. No one is downplaying police brutality here, just bringing out stats about police killings of black people after that post outright lied about it.

And I'm coming out of the woodwork. Miss me with that.

Hyun Sai

With so much guns out there, you bet the enforcement life is a tough one.

Solution seems to be more guns anyway. Go figure.

Heroman

Banned

According to that stat, way more officers are killed than black people, even assuming majority of those people were innocent, which most likely they were not.
What? The biggest killer of cops isn't violence it's traffic accidents.

pastrami

According to that stat, way more officers are killed than black people, even assuming all those people were innocent, which most likely were not.

It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison though. Of the 135 officers who died last year, 64 were shot, 21 through ambushes. The rest were mostly traffic related. 11 died from job related illnesses (including two who died from illnesses related to responding to 9/11). Then there are a couple singular incidents like a plane crash and a fall. One stabbing death.

http://time.com/4619689/police-officers-killed-2016/

cromofo

It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison though. Of the 135 officers who died last year, 64 were shot, 21 through ambushes. The rest were mostly traffic related. 11 died from job related illnesses (including two who died from illnesses related to responding to 9/11). Then there are a couple random incidents like a plane crash. One stabbing death.

I know that. It's been an misunderstanding regarding context, see my post above.

It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison though. Of the 135 officers who died last year, 64 were shot, 21 through ambushes. The rest were mostly traffic related. 11 died from job related illnesses (including two who died from illnesses related to responding to 9/11). Then there are a couple singular incidents like a plane crash and a fall. One stabbing death.

It is, which is why black deaths shouldn't have been brought up at all.
This is about a cop who died, not cops in general, or their misdeeds.

cromofo

That statement isn't false at all.

RIP

Key word: lives...in a thread about a cop losing her life.

I'm gonna drop it here since it's pointless.

Top Bottom