• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD officer shot and killed in unprovoked attack

I don't forget how dangerous it is, but man is the pay HORRID for what they do.

Saw an advertisement at Myrtle Beach for new officers. Starting pay, a measley $24k - $26k.

I wouldn't' die for that kind of money.

Come with a HELL of alot of perks tho...

But yeah.. it's straight shit pay

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Going into a crack house and taking a dying baby out of the arms of a mother is not dangerous? Arriving on scene and pulling bodies out of a flaming overturned vehicle is also not dangerous?

I couldn't disagree more. But then again, he never had to draw his gun.
Go look at your first post, you never said the car was on fire. You said and I quote "the accident was gruesome."
As for the drug house, yea it can be dangerous, depends on the time of day and the circumstances.

Besides the fact that your post is entirely anecdotal. The vast majority of police are not frequently in dangerous situations. And as stated previously they're not even top ten most dangerous jobs.

TheShocker

Come with a HELL of alot of perks tho...

But yeah.. it's straight shit pay
I've always wondered what these "perks" are....I've been a cop for about 7 years and I have health insurance that is comparable to any other private sector job and a retirement system that is again, comparable to any other private sector job. I get paid overtime at time and a half and double time on holidays. Again nothing I didn't get when I worked in the private sector.

2185135_1280x720.jpg

48 years old mother of 3...what a beautiful smile too. Such a shame she was doing nothing either besides sitting there, my heart is in pain :(.

ColdPizza

Banned
I've always wondered what these "perks" are....I've been a cop for about 7 years and I have health insurance that is comparable to any other private sector job and a retirement system that is again, comparable to any other private sector job. I get paid overtime at time and a half and double time on holidays. Again nothing I didn't get when I worked in the private sector.

I think he might be talking about....professional courtesy. The blue wall.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I thought she got shot in one of those watchtowers

Those mobile one they place in certain areas that give them a 360 degree view with glass on all 4 sides blacked out
Thought it was that and she would be a sitting duck in it

Damn cant believe the command unit is one of those big units, unfortunate death, damn
Though you would think it being bulky it would have more stoppage of offering protection

Tonedeff

Fuck. My condolences to that officers family. All of them.

There's a conversation to be had about everything wrong with policing in the US but this thread shouldn't be the soapbox for that.

You're giving this advice to GAF? Where a politician had an attempt on his life and the majority of the thread on it was about how much of a piece of shit the organization he belonged to was? And where most motherfuckers didn't have a problem with that? Strange to see this attitude so prevalent here, especially for motherfucking cops.

TarNaru33

Banned
Yes usually done for money but always done for politics and such, and it's a big ass buzz word when he could have just straight up said murder. Which sounds he's just sensationalizing the tragedy.

I remembering a year or two ago, the NYPD was forming a new counter terrorism force with new armored vehicles and machine guns. If that actually went through, that's where the money to.

The guy IS sensationalizing the tragedy. He is the commissioner for the NYPD, its to be expected.

Sometimes we tend to forget how fucking dangerous is to be a cop. Literally putting their lives on the line each day. That's what they've signed up for but still.

RIP

No... I know not a single person that even briefly forget how dangerous it can be to be a cop. Also you are talking about U.S right now, almost no one expect being a cop to not be dangerous. Cops can get away with murder (and I am not talking about just minorites), simply because they feared for their life and have a huge public backing is a good testament to that fact.

If we are purely talking about involvements with police, then

135 police officers died in the line of duty last year out of approximately 900,000 officers
266 black people died at the hands of police last year out of approximately 40,000,000 black people.

This is a very silly metric you are using here and the comparison was also silly for the guy you responded to.

1. Comparing a profession to an entire race is obviously stupid.
2. You are comparing apples and oranges in of those deaths as that police stat is ANY officer that dies in the line of duty, this includes traffic incidents. Very different to being shot.
3. Danger does not only mean you are going to die, it can mean injury, financial disaster, and legal issues. It is also somewhat subjective.

Just wanted to reply to several posts that I found annoying, there are many others that are using this incident in many other ways. To answer some other posts.

Cop cars don't really need to be bulletproof because attacks on cops like this are rare enough that it does not warrant the cost. I say the same for militarization of the police.

There is not much I can say for this except RIP to the victim.

You're giving this advice to GAF? Where a politician had an attempt on his life and the majority of the thread on it was about how much of a piece of shit the organization he belonged to was? And where most motherfuckers didn't have a problem with that? Strange to see this attitude so prevalent here, especially for motherfucking cops.

As a person who participated and read the entirety of that thread, your post is completely incorrect and is extremely hyperbolic. Also the fact it WAS a political attack and it was known that it was since the early stages of the thread made his party very relevant to the discussion.

Tonedeff huh.

They are more social perks than anything material or monetary.

A very easy one is instant road access, everyone and their mom are getting out your way on the road, when in your take-home car( If you have one, you're easily the scariest thing on the road lol)

People are def scared of interactions with cops, you will always have the upper hand there and the tone of the interaction is mainly driven by you (of course there are always assholes that will shit up your day or make a benign situation seriously worse)

My dad has been an officer for 20+ years, and he's explained that there are def unwritten benefits of being an officer.

This is totally side skirting the major one that people harp on about accountability when it comes to fatalities, sometimes outright murder on unarmed citizens.

what an awful story.

my cousin is a recently hired cop in the bronx. he's been on the job for 6 months and says it's nothing but getting spit on, attacked/hit, foot chases, 90% domestic violence response. hopefully he gets out of that shithole after his probationary period.

Top Bottom