• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 - Lucky Chloe revealed

alstein

No, her design (as well as Claudio and others) take me right out. I used to enjoy learning about new martial arts and the folks behind the mo-cap work before they started coming up with these kinds of shitty designs.

If you're looking for that in a fighting game, there's a series out there which is really awesome and might cater more to that. It's called Virtua Fighter.

Yeah, sure, man, sure. You have karate man fighting Jak, a literal robot man (Who isn't a hidden character) and an angel, all right in line. Girl dressed like a cat/popstar? Get that outta my canon, fuckers! I need my Tekken pure! Only mythical monsters and robots for me, no grody popstars!
The series established itself as one with a conglomerate that created Jacks and fighting kangaroos and featured a devil gene which added to the tone of the universe. They added an innocent girl who wanted an amusement park. Cute. They added an innocent girl who was rich and had a fake fighting style. Erm ok. They added an innocent robot girl with dual pink hair, unrealistic outfit and chainsaws (that didn't fit with the established universe of being Dr. B's sick daughter). Ugh. Now they're adding an innocent girl who seemingly come from another title and I'm just done.

The series established itself as one with a conglomerate that created Jacks and fighting kangaroos and featured a devil gene which added to the tone of the universe. They added an innocent girl who wanted an amusement park. Cute. They added an innocent girl who was rich and had a fake fighting style. Erm ok. They added an innocent robot girl with dual pink hair, unrealistic outfit and chainsaws (that didn't fit with the established universe of being Dr. B's sick daughter). Ugh. Now they're adding an innocent girl who seemingly come from another title and I'm just done.

If you're done with Tekken designs as a whole, sure, I can see what you're saying, but for what the series has been for awhile, Chloe is perfectly fine and right in line with the tone they have. If it's the last straw for you, that's fine, but don't act like this is any different than any of the characters I've listed.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah, sure, man, sure. You have karate man fighting Jak, a literal robot man (Who isn't a hidden character) and an angel, all right in line. Girl dressed like a cat/popstar? Get that outta my canon, fuckers! I need my Tekken pure! Only mythical monsters and robots for me, no grody popstars!

Doesn't that kind of make sense for a fighting game though? I mean, why is a cat-girl popstar fighting? In full outfit, no less?

IvorB

Those characters weren't iconic when they came out, they were kind of embarrassing. They also had a string of 'pretty much the same' characters when you look at the Heihachi family tree, something Capcom was also guilty of creating endless Ryu variants.

I don't recall finding anything embarrasing about King when I was playing Tekken 2 back in the day, or the Jacks for that matter. And "pretty much the same" Mishimas? Wut?

518433-heihachi_t2_2_super.jpg

Lee%2Brepudiado.jpg

kazuya07.JPG

180px-JinKazama(TTT).jpg

Do they look pretty much the same to you?

BlazeVoi

Banned
No, her design (as well as Claudio and others) take me right out. I used to enjoy learning about new martial arts and the folks behind the mo-cap work before they started coming up with these kinds of shitty designs.

Let me guess: you have no problem whatsoever with the "design" of a flying purple man who shoots laser beams from his forehead?

I'm kinda laughing right now.

I see what youre saying with this post. But they also added a badass ninja raven, a badass brawler miguel, leo, and the assassin Zafina.

come on, stop looking for the bad.

Doesn't that kind of make sense for a fighting game though? I mean, why is a cat-girl popstar fighting? In full outfit, no less?

The same reason every popstar in every anime does anything ever. "My career is on the fritz and I'm doing this dumb thing to help my popularity."

Is that a good reason? Probably not, but whatever, it's Tekken, people have been throwing their kids and parents off cliffs and into volcanoes from the get go.

Pretty good moves, really liking this character. Design actually reminds me of Uriko from Bloody Roar.

405nNk6.jpg

Damn I miss that franchise.

lupinko

I don't recall finding anything embarrasing about King when I was playing Tekken 2 back in the day, or the Jacks for that matter. And "pretty much the same" Mishimas? Wut?

518433-heihachi_t2_2_super.jpg

Lee%2Brepudiado.jpg

kazuya07.JPG

180px-JinKazama(TTT).jpg

Do they look pretty much the same to you (apart from all being Japanese of course)?

Lee is Chinese.

What I believe he is saying is: every Tekken there has been a group of "main characters" that are revealed and added to the game. These are generally a better class of character than any hidden/joke/sub boss characters you might find. They are headline additions if you will. I'm sure I am forgetting a few but here they are:

Tekken 2 - Lei, Jun
Tekken 3 - Jin, Hwaorang, Xiaoyu, Eddie
Tekken 4 - Steve, Marduk, new Jin
Tekken 5 - Feng Wei, Raven
Tekken 6 - Bob, Miguel, Zafina, Leo <----problem started here

The main character reveals are to hype people up on the game.
Not every new character is supposed to be a main character or something. T5 had Lili and she's as much of a pandering stereotype as Chloe.

Degen

wFeTDrq.png

yes I'm sure the guy who would rather quit his job than be forced to charge money for a character was LEGIT SHOOK by Twitter complaints

BlazeVoi

Banned
I find the whole concept of cat girls to be very bizarre, but I try not to say anything.

I think they are annoying myself, it just seems so necessary. HOWEVER, if it makes people mad, I love it. The tears online. OH the tears online.

So conflicted.

That being said, she is not a catgirl, she is just dressing in a cute way. She isnt part "cat", part human. I have a degree in catwomanology, so I would know.

I suppose that's an issue in and of itself.

Still the, "pick a different fighter, there's like 50/100/1,000" mentality doesn't work. If that were the case, I wouldn't mind Chloe at all. As it stands, none of my favorite characters have been confirmed for the game (and I've got more than a few), and none of the officially confirmed newcomers look terribly appealing to me.
The roster isn't even done yet.

Creaking

I think they are annoying myself, it just seems so necessary. HOWEVER, if it makes people mad, I love it. The tears online. OH the tears online.

So conflicted.

That being said, she is not a catgirl, she is just dressing in a cute way. She isnt part "cat", part human. I have a degree in catwomanology, so I would know.

But she's dressing like a cat girl and making cat noises. It might not be anything as strange as a cat girl made flesh, but the concept is still there.

BlueCrest

Jesus, normally I've a pretty strong stomach considering the stuff I've seen on the internet, but this character takes the cake as the most disgusting thing I've seen, just looking at her I feel viscerally upset.

Jesus, normally I've a pretty strong stomach considering the stuff I've seen on the internet, but this character takes the cake as the most disgusting thing I've seen, just looking at her I feel viscerally upset.
I don't even care for idol-type characters but these types of reactions are making me love her more and more. It's like she's moe satan or something

There are people here who may not get their favorite character back. In the past, people bitched about the new roster vs the old. Tekken retconned everyting to bring everyone back. Bitching and moaning isn't exclusive to me or this character so lets stop and think of why this series has become so divisive rather than arguing who's more right in their stance against Chloe.

EvilFiek

Neo Member
I love her design. Happy to be European so I'll still get to enjoy her.

Part of me hoping that Harada isn't just trolling because it's about time someone showed the content concern trolls their limit.

Creaking

Part of me hoping that Harada isn't just trolling because it's about time someone showed the content concern trolls their limit.

Removing her from the US version of the game due to outcry from (apparently only) US players who... uh... don't want her in the game? Wouldn't that be giving "concern trolls" more power?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just a shame Harada couldn't convince Sakurai to put Haruka into Smash Bros.

"Are you ready?" - yeah that's no coincidence.

Looking at her design again, she just looks like an alt or customized version of an existing character so I don't get the defense of her design. Sure you're curious about the fighting style, but why this design? It isn't special nor is it getting much popular attention so why stubbornly defend it?

Loking at her design again, she just looks like an alt or customized version of an existing character so I don't get the defense ofbher design. Sure you're curious about the fighting style, but why this design? It isn't special nor is it getting much popular attention so why stubbornly defend it?
It's not the character, it's the principle.

If you guys were complaining about Claudio I'd have the same reaction.

Looking at her design again, she just looks like an alt or customized version of an existing character so I don't get the defense of her design. Sure you're curious about the fighting style, but why this design? It isn't special nor is it getting much popular attention so why stubbornly defend it?

Because it's a mix of iDOL@STER and Vocaloid. I like both of those things. I like this design and really want to play as this character. Is that a problem for you?

I don't support the removal after she's been revealed, but I still have a right to voice my opinion as series long fan.
Yeah I never said that you didn't. But if you ask why I'm vouching for her inclusion even though I don't really care for her design that's the reason.

I just thorougly disagree with all the people acting as if Tekken just killed their newborn child.

Because it's a mix of iDOL@STER and Vocaloid. I like both of those things. I like this design and really want to play as this character. Is that a problem for you?
That's great and she's doing her job of bringing in players like you. But again, I still have a right to complain. Telling me "don't like, don't play" is sort of counterproductive when new games are supposed to attract more fans than lose them. She looks like every female customization I've seen from the previous Tekkens. Not interested then? =P

alstein

Just a shame Harada couldn't convince Sakurai to put Haruka into Smash Bros.

"Are you ready?" - yeah that's no coincidence.

I got an old SNK Shermie/Mary vibe from the voice work. Looked like it was ripped from those two characters.

Yeah I never said that you didn't. But if you ask why I'm vouching for her inclusion even though I don't really care for her design that's the reason.
But you say "principle" as if my intention was to get her removed or if an opposing opinion is wrong. Forgive me if I misunderstood your reply.

That's great and she's doing her job of bringing in players like you. But again, I still have a right to complain. Telling me "don't like, don't play" is sort of counterproductive when new games are supposed to attract more fans than lose them. She looks like every female customization I've seen from the previous Tekkens. Not interested then? =P

I'm not saying you have no right to complain, just that I disagree with the specific complaints you were making. I've seen a lot of the alternate costumes and while they're cool, there's also the personality and play style that add to the appeal of the character, so her gameplay mixes with her cool visuals and that's what makes me interested.

Ban Puncher

Faux online outrage led to a character being dumped from the US version?

Pre-ordering tomorrow in my country where catgirl idols do not face discrimination.

#nyanfreedom

Yudoken

Well I think it's more to do with the fact that she is just a terribly designed character for Tekken rather than the specific anime trope she falls under. You mention King and the Jacks but these are great, iconic character designs that have stood the test of time. Tekken used to serve up amazing character designs all the way to Tek 5 but things have dropped off a cliff since then. This is a new low though.

I'm totally with you.
I really liked most of the characters until Tekken 5.
Since Tekken 6 I really miss the iconic character designs.
The new character remind me of 2d fighting games like blazeblue.
=/

Personally I really would like to see only new characters but that's probably not happening anytime soon.
Don't bloat the characters with too much.

Top Bottom