• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT| of Tag Assaulting the Devil, Ogres, Wild Animals & MILFs (Bitcap Warning)

GrayFoxPL

I watched Blood Vengeance the other day and as I was already being warned for it indeed just sucks ass.

The CGI is awesome, and the fights are awesome as well. But there aren't enough fights! I felt like this movie tried to force some story and emotions upon me but I didn't give a fuck because I want to watch a Tekken movie for the fights. There were an awfully lot of scenes without anything going on, actually. That student guy was completely fucking useless on top of that. And the final battle was just ridiculous.

Even the Tekken anime was better, and I disliked that flick.

ibiMtqLBvSpqGp.gif

Can't top that. Ever.

To get back in topic, I've never had a problem with character designs in any Tekken. Usually if I do have a problem it usually gets fixed ala Miguel's T6 hair vs his TTT2 hair

Miguel is a cool Tekken character.

There are actually a few.

The problem then becomes the whole "3D fighter" thing.

Which SFxT fixes, but then it's the whole "not in the roster" thing.

But I will totally be on the Tekken bandwagon when I buy my $5 Alisa DLC for SFxT

Caught glimpses of the live action Tekken on G4 last night. The FUck? Was really BAD!

Needless to say, I searched ahead and set it to record the next showing of it.

Sayah

Gonna eat some crow. I bought this game solely for the demo and was disappointed, sure. One of my main problems with Tekken, however, has always been that I could never appreciate its characters. The designs always seemed bland in comparison to Soulcalibur (a passion for me at one time). I expected Blood Revenge to be stupid, vomit-inducing, dogshit, anime and wasn't disappointed there.

What I wasn't expecting was for it to give me a genuine appreciation for the characters. Even if the dialogue and plot is asinine, understanding the motivations behind the characters goes a long way into helping me come to grips with picking a character that fights in a tuxedo. I seriously never expected to like a character like Alysa - then the mechanical chainsaw blades and Xenogear wings came into play and I geeked out in a way I haven't in a long time. I love this character. Can't wait for this game.

Team Soul should seriously consider doing something like this for their series.

What.......the......$#%@?
One of the primary reasons to like Tekken (aside from the glorious soundtracks and insanely deep gameplay) is the variety in the character roster. No one should have any problems choosing out a character that fits their "style." The DR and Tekken 5 intros are a great way to introduce Tekken character variety. While the story is all over the place, the characters are some of the best constructed in any fighting series.

Sayah

Anna is scraping the bottom of the barrel of popularity. Rarely seen in videos from Japan or Korea in T6 and almost invisible in Tag2. Very rarely encountered online(by me at least).
If this goes on Harada will cut her off from next Tekken for the same reason he did it with Kunimitsu and Jun(12 year absence).
She's much better then L&A but I'd love her remade or at least done in the appearance from DBD.

Nina is even more popular now then in T6, but through T6 lifetime Lili and Alisa owned female Tekken, no contest.

I'm seeing Anna in a lot of gameplay vids for Tag 2. Even more than Nina. Her new diving knee bound is really helping her out. I doubt she'll be gone like Jun or Kunimitsu. She was missing in Tekken 4 and was basically a Nina clone before that but Tekken 5 redefined her pretty well. And I have to say, I find her to be the most "fun" character to play with. Her playstyle is just amazing.

Sayah

Caught glimpses of the live action Tekken on G4 last night. The FUck? Was really BAD!

Needless to say, I searched ahead and set it to record the next showing of it.

I watched it and it's quite terrible. Also doesn't do much justice to the actual plot of the series.
Christie and Jin have stuff going on.

d0c_zaius

I watched Blood Vengeance the other day and as I was already being warned for it indeed just sucks ass.

The CGI is awesome, and the fights are awesome as well. But there aren't enough fights! I felt like this movie tried to force some story and emotions upon me but I didn't give a fuck because I want to watch a Tekken movie for the fights. There were an awfully lot of scenes without anything going on, actually. That student guy was completely fucking useless on top of that. And the final battle was just ridiculous.

Even the Tekken anime was better, and I disliked that flick.

It's actually amazing to me how bad the Tekken CG movie is, especially when they have tons of intros from previous games as source material. The interview on the disc even talks about how most game movies are bad, how some characters were designed with no forethought or depth, and how the movie is about two characters no one cares about with a third character not even from Tekken.

And why the fuck does a robot want a high school boyfriend? Where is 90% of the roster? I could ask a ton of rhetorical questions trying to find answers for the huge failures in the movie. But based on the interview I blame it completely on the director, who should never be allowed to direct a movie again, ever.

But the fight at the end was cool,
before everyone became the Guyvers cousin and Heihachi somehow used the Ark to turn a castle into a giant monster suit with a huge weakpoint.

Besides it being pretty, I actually think the live action movie is more entertaining because its ass and it pretty much knows its ass. Heihachis hair pretty much says it all.

Just watch this movie for your Tekken live action fix, The Avenging Fist (but dont take it seriously):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dd5vDftTrI

Throavium

I enjoyed what I could out the movie, but it's sad to see their work wasted on such uninteresting characters, we've seen the feud between Jin, Kazuya, and Heihachi so many times. They should focus on other characters. Even more disappointing that they made the entire movie CG, wasted potential, but I'm not surprised that the movie was what it was.

MrDenny

Gonna eat some crow. I bought this game solely for the demo and was disappointed, sure. One of my main problems with Tekken, however, has always been that I could never appreciate its characters. The designs always seemed bland in comparison to Soulcalibur (a passion for me at one time). I expected Blood Revenge to be stupid, vomit-inducing, dogshit, anime and wasn't disappointed there.

What I wasn't expecting was for it to give me a genuine appreciation for the characters. Even if the dialogue and plot is asinine, understanding the motivations behind the characters goes a long way into helping me come to grips with picking a character that fights in a tuxedo. I seriously never expected to like a character like Alysa - then the mechanical chainsaw blades and Xenogear wings came into play and I geeked out in a way I haven't in a long time. I love this character. Can't wait for this game.

Team Soul should seriously consider doing something like this for their series.

It's funny, because I have the exact opposite opinion.
For me, the Tekken character designs have always been one of the highlight of the series.
Variety in fight styles and the in-game models actually look like their art counterparts.
Soul Calibur on the other hand, the characters look generic and the gameplay felt dull and not as deep compared to the Tekken series.
Soul Calibur 5, the character artworks look nothing like the in-game models.
The faces look generic and all the characters have this vamp/goth generic look to them.

AAK

Damn, a lot of heated discussion going on about the movie. Personally, all it needed was more fight scenes that's all. There were only 3 legitimate fight scenes: Anna-Nina intro, Alisa-Ling minibattle, and the brutal awesome triple thread in the end. All the fights were pretty entertaining to be honest, although the final one was in the league of Square-Enix's CGI fights IMO. I didn't really mind the use Ling and Alisa as main characters but it just desperately needed a lot more filler action scenes like a true martial arts movie.

The other comment was that the only fight that really tributed the games movelists IMO were the Anna-Nina fights. The submission holds were pretty spot on to their multi and side throws from the game which was really cool to see and disappointing to see missing from a lot of the other fights (Ling goes into AOP just once? Come ON!). I just though it would have been cool if Jin did a Just Frame Laser Scraper that was super broken or Heihachi or Kazuya used their twin pistons at least once just considering the impact those moves had in the games.

But in the end, I'm not very critical of movies, As long as it has some scenes that please me to watch I'll be happily entertained. I had to plow through a lot of garbage in this movie, but the finale fight was SO worth it. Common, Heihachi torture racks this high school kid to death! Kazuya dissects Alisa with his foot! And then of coarse, Heihachi powerbombing Jin & Kaz through seven floors before doing a one handed giant swing! Stuff like that just made me smile uncontrollably and made the whole movie worth it for me to watch being a fan of the game.

I haven't seen the live action movie yet... but it has Lateef Crowder and Jonathan Fo in it! They were both in the Temple Fight from TYG... one of my favorite choreographed scenes, so I think in the end I'll enjoy that movie for whatever entertainment it can provide.

EDIT:

BUT, if it was my choice for a movie to star a certain Tekken character.... I'd choose Hwoarang!... or Maybe Steve Fox? Add Lei in there as well for good measure. Any flashy character that will invite as much mayhem as possible in the movie! We'd get to see stuff like this:

ibn6dwX8QvA0Uo.gif
and
iQDZIIqzmikro.gif

;) All Tekken characters have the personality in both their backstory and fighting style to output something entertaining.

Sayah

Damn, a lot of heated discussion going on about the movie. Personally, all it needed was more fight scenes that's all. There were only 3 legitimate fight scenes: Anna-Nina intro, Alisa-Ling minibattle, and the brutal awesome triple thread in the end. All the fights were pretty entertaining to be honest, although the final one was in the league of Square-Enix's CGI fights IMO. I didn't really mind the use Ling and Alisa as main characters but it just desperately needed a lot more filler action scenes like a true martial arts movie.

Other comment was that the only fight that really tributed the games movelists IMO were the Anna-Nina fights. The submission holds were pretty spot on to their multi and side throws from the game which was really cool to see and disappointing to see missing from a lot of the other fights (Ling goes into AOP just once? Come ON!). I just though it would have been cool if Jin did a Just Frame Laser Scraper that was super broken or Heihachi or Kazuya used their twin pistons at least once just considering the impact those moves had in the games.

But in the end, I'm not very critical of movies, As long as it has some scenes that please me to watch I'll be happily entertained. I had to plow through a lot of garbage in this movie, but the finale fight was SO worth it. Common, Heihachi torture racks this high school kid to death! Kazuya dissects Alisa with is foot! And then of coarse, Heihachi powerbombing Jin & Kaz through seven floor before doing a one handed giant swing! Stuff like that just made me smile uncontrollably and made the whole movie worth it for me to watch being a fan of the game.

I haven't seen the live action movie yet... but it has Lateef Crowder and Jonathan Fo in it! They were both in the Temple Fight from TYG... one of my favorite choreographed scenes, so I think in the end I'll enjoy that movie for whatever entertainment it can provide.

It's still really not worth it. It's better to watch/rewatch better action movies like Kung Fu Hustle.

Kimosabae

Banned
lol. Opinions. Some just don't get it.

Really strange how these two games managed to forge two completely different fanbases when the games themselves, engine and mechanics-wise, have so much in common.

Hey AAK, how big is your gif folder? Just wondering. :p

wow.. the Lei is even more impressive, at around 1:44, when Yoshi did the unblockable stab, the guy just back turn in split second to avoid it, that was so fucking surreal.

Yeah its amazing once you start using the Haha step to really home in after succesfully baiting a move. Its practically made by Lei play it safe and just psych them out in the distance now. But its still fun to get up close and just pile stuff on them with razor rushes every once in awhile.

EDIT:

BUT, if it was my choice for a movie to star a certain Tekken character.... I'd choose Hwoarang!... or Maybe Steve Fox? Add Lei in there as well for good measure. Any flashy character that will invite as much mayhem as possible in the movie! We'd get to see stuff like this:

ibn6dwX8QvA0Uo.gif
and
iQDZIIqzmikro.gif

;) All Tekken characters have the personality in both their backstory and fighting style to output something entertaining.

I'd honestly really like a fleshed out story of the original Bryan story about when he was a cop, and then the cyborg transformation where Lei comes into play when investigating (I really miss the old rivalry between Lei and Bryan that Namco originally setup).

Either that or a life story of all the stuff Abel and Boskonovitch have been involved with.

Oemenia

Banned
Are there any impressions of how TTT2 has held up over to the PS3 in demo included with Hybrid?

It still boggles my mind that Tekken 6 was sub-HD on home consoles.

I'd still love to see my dream tekken. It'd be a tag game but canon to the story.

It would also be be sort of groundbreaking for the genre.

Story/League mode has predetermined teams of 3 duking it out in a series of matches that replicate a typical season in other sports. Only 2 fighters battle per match. Characters who take tons of damage may end up starting the next match with less the 100% health. So character management is key between matches. Who starts, who will be the taggable partner etc.
Each team has a home turf where performing combos and special moves there grant you extra boosts thanks to your adoring fans. Basically there are home matches and away matches. Wins and losses are tracked and top seeded teams in specific divisions battle in the playoffs for the chance to participate in the "super brawl" (not what I'd call it, just throwing it out there to make a point of what I'm getting at).
To Tekkenify the story, the winning team is then ambushed by/sucked into another dimension/accidentally awakens a horrific being and are challenged to a final battle... perhaps using all 3?

VS and arcade modes allow players to make their own teams to challenge others with.

Examples and ideas for story mode teams:

Jun is alive/resurrected and is in charge of a genetic corporation that Julia ends up working for. They seek Lei after a break in but all leads point to the new Iron Fist League.

Heihachi retires after losing to his son and grandson in 6 but is still sought by Lars. When Lars confronts him and shows his fighting prowess, Heihachi once again yearns for battle and decides to fund the Tekken League with the idea of he and Lars joining forces to kick the world's best fighters' asses. Kuma joins their team as he remains Hei's loyal pet/sparring partner.

Anna and Nina, in the heat of battle, were interrupted by a young man who claimed to be their father's long lost son (of anotha motha). Feeling a sense of family for the first time since their daddy's passing, they take him under their wing and train him in the arts of akido which would make their poppa proud. The new league is the perfect chance to test his abilities and their new bond.

With that last one, it's my way of introducing a new character that would potentially replace older characters in a future title. Wang would have a grandson on his team, Yoshi and Kuni would have another member from manji that'd be a combination of their skills, abilities and weapon usage...

I have way too much time on my mind.

Edit: fuck auto correct...

AAK

I'd still love to see my dream tekken. It'd be a tag game but canon to the story.

Proxicide and you think alike ;)

TTT2-vs.jpg

TTT2-gameplay0.jpg

TTT2-gameplayA.jpg

TTT2-gameplayB.jpg

But I agree, a canonical tag feature game would be really cool as well. In fact, I might as well just post that on Harada's twitter right now :p

I'd honestly really like a fleshed out story of the original Bryan story about when he was a cop, and then the cyborg transformation where Lei comes into play when investigating (I really miss the old rivalry between Lei and Bryan that Namco originally setup).

Either that or a life story of all the stuff Abel and Boskonovitch have been involved with.

Man thinking about that right now, I never realized how much T4 really did add volumes to the story, and in a good way as well.

I remember those shots. Tekken was everything to me back then. I miss the added atmosphere in the games that the story provided. Now its just self mockery. "bring it on, ya aliens" - Paul Phoenix. For shame.

I think I put more thought into coming up with a new Tekken in my last post than Namco... and I only just jotted down short blurbs from my phone to a message board while on the shitter. But hey, guess people are ok with the same coat of paint but with new combo extenders and different frames here and there.

noodalls

Can anyone confirm or deny if the upcoming Tekken 3ds will have any new moves, other than Young Heihachi, compared to T6BR.

I was under the impression it wouldn't but can't refind a source to support this.

CSX

Can anyone confirm or deny if the upcoming Tekken 3ds will have any new moves, other than Young Heihachi, compared to T6BR.

I was under the impression it wouldn't but can't refind a source to support this.

To me, having Young Heihachi implies the game is basically 1 v 1 with Tag 2's movelist.

BOTEC

Any more impressions of Tag HD? I'm in the mood for some Tekken, but T6 load times kill all the fun. How speedy and arcadey is TTT HD?

Uraizen

Banned
This OP is sweet, I finally got Tekken Hybrid and had no clue how to do the Tag Assault combos. Not only did I find out here, but I learned some of the intricacies of it, too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That is some Marvel shit going on.

Sayah

So after much listening and judging, I think my top 10 for TTT2 OST goes as:
1. Wayang Kulit - Starts off slow and then picks right up with quite the catchiest beat followed by a woman's soul touching singing. Then, there's also the wind chime sounds. Just amazing. Best track in the game IMO.
2. Moonlit Wilderness remix- About as good as the original. Amazing remix with those sick piano-like tunes still present mid-way.
3. Aim to Win - Best character select music I've heard in a WHILE. I can see myself ending the timer to zero just to hear this over and over. It's quite addictive.
4. Snow Castle - I started off not liking it but fell in love with it the more I heard it. The vocals, the chorus, the composing, the pacing........everything is just brilliant.
5. Intro Massive Mix - Remix of the original Tag intro. It's got everything right. The fast pacing is just right to get anyone pumped up. Then, there's the epic piano-esque sounds. So awesome.
6. Strongest Iron Arena - Also fast-pacing
7. Sakura Schoolyard - Catchy
8. Heavenly Garden - A great mix of so many things.
9. Fontana di Trevi - Epic violin playing
10. Hall of Judgment

Best Tekken soundtrack so far IMO. I'm not some music elitist but this may also be my most favorite gaming soundtrack yet.

AAK

I think you can ask Rip and MarkMan about that, they played it quite a bit at E3. As far as I know, I assume it'll just be the Tekken Tag 2 renditions, I don't see them making exclusive mo caps for the 3DS versions that won't be included in the other versions.

Any Gaffers coming to Busan, Korea next week to play or spectate the World Cyber Games Tekken Grand Finals?

Have fun there brother! Let us know how it goes down. Lot's of players there from unknown scenes like Pakistan, Ecuador, Saudi Arabia, among others. It'll be interesting to see how they fair.

Any more impressions of Tag HD? I'm in the mood for some Tekken, but T6 load times kill all the fun. How speedy and arcadey is TTT HD?

Load times for TTT HD are pretty good IMO. They range from 2 - 5 seconds usually. Maimum I would guess is around 7 seconds. Yeah, there is slowdown at times especially when you do long sets (like one I did just now) but personally, Tekken Hybrid is a package that's worth it if you want to get some Tekken action. TTT really is such a different beast from the newer Tekkens and I'm having a damn good time playing it. And, you also get TTT2 Prologue which is highly recommended if you are anticipating TTT2. I'll be honest, even after being a Tekken 6 veteran, I have trouble doing a lot Tag Assaults which aren't in my muscle memory. Getting your hands own prologue and getting into grips with the Tag Assault system will definitely do wonders once you get your hands on the final game regardless if you play the 4 characters present or not.

But T:DR is a solid buy as well if you're interested :)

They weren't that convincing to me all those years ago when I first saw them. The screens are way to busy in terms of UI stuff, kinda contrary to the series.

Yeah, direct feed versions are relatively obvious... but they were first revealed as offscreen shots which IMO were pretty convincing for the time (mid 2004) they were released before the whole forum GIF and Jpeg reply renaissance... Or I'm just too gullible :p

TTT2-Bosses.jpg

And also back when T5.0 was in arcades and the time release characters were still being released (before Heihachi was released), Proxicide also did this shop which personally had me a believer as well where we thought Heihachi also got his own demon Jinpachi-esque form:

heihachi.jpg

And then for fun, he made this troll website randomly:

TekkenNewsA.jpg

TekkenNewsB.jpg

This got me laughing hard back in the day! Man, the Tekken community really lost some talented people over the years, I wonder what this guy is doing now? The last thing he did was the legendary SF vs MK videos.

So after much listening and judging, I think my top 10 for TTT2 OST goes as:
1. Wayang Kulit - Starts off slow and then picks right up with quite the catchiest beat followed by a woman's soul touching singing. Then, there's also the wind chime sounds. Just amazing. Best track in the game IMO.
2. Moonlit Wilderness remix- About as good as the original. Amazing remix with those sick piano-like tunes still present mid-way.
3. Aim to Win - Best character select music I've heard in a WHILE. I can see myself ending the timer to zero just to hear this over and over. It's quite addictive.
4. Snow Castle - I started off not liking it but fell in love with it the more I heard it. The vocals, the chorus, the composing, the pacing........everything is just brilliant.
5. Intro Massive Mix - Remix of the original Tag intro. It's got everything right. The fast pacing is just right to get anyone pumped up. Then, there's the epic piano-esque sounds. So awesome.
6. Strongest Iron Arena - Also fast-pacing
7. Sakura Schoolyard - Catchy
8. Heavenly Garden - A great mix of so many things.
9. Fontana di Trevi - Epic violin playing
10. Hall of Judgment

Best Tekken soundtrack so far IMO. I'm not some music elitist but this may also be my most favorite gaming soundtrack yet.

Nice choices! I've been listening to some tracks as well and I just CAN'T seem to pick a favorite. There are so many that are good in their own right. Only thing I'd like to add to your list is Night Falls :D

Sayah

First time I'm seeing that site. Hilarious!

Night Falls is also amazing. The piano and guitar combination is out of this world. But I wish it lasted longer.

Turns the secret developer of Tekken 3DS is Arika. Guess their 3DS fighting test engine paid off if it landed them the contract over Eighting (who did the PSP games).

Have fun there brother! Let us know how it goes down. Lot's of players there from unknown scenes like Pakistan, Ecuador, Saudi Arabia, among others. It'll be interesting to see how they fair.

I will, i'm a Tekken referee again this year. I'll try to make the tournament enjoyable for all players too ;D

AAK

Man, it really looks like Super Arcade is getting TTT2 in a few days. Awesome, let's hope it goes down.

And I wish there was a stream of WCG, I heard Nobi really levelled up and thinks he can overthrow the Koreans this time around. Have fun repping Tekken as the referee! And shoutouts to WCG commentary, let's hope it won't cause you to rip your ears out! :p

Man, it really looks like Super Arcade is getting TTT2 in a few days. Awesome, let's hope it goes down.

Man, if they get TTT2 then my bro and I are gonna have to take the 6 hour drive at least twice a month to play. Markman posted on twitter that theres gonna be a special announcement at NEC. Its hopefully gonna be about Tag 2 coming to arcades in North America.

Top Bottom