• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution PS3 Excusive Free To Play 6/11/13

DR2K

Banned
I'm holding out hope for a new Soul Claibur.

THE SOUL STILL BURNS

F2P SCV is likely to happen if this turns out well.

I mean for a free to play fighting game.
Limiting the base to 4 characters = demo mode imo. That's just not how fighting games work.

How often have they been free? Buy more characters or buy the full game.

Limiting the base to 4 characters = demo mode imo. That's just not how fighting games work.
You have the option to buy the full retail game in DoA5's case.

This F2P model is all about making people invest as much as they want to. If you want to pay nothing, you're covered, if you want everything you're covered. It's not a demo because you get full offline and online versus modes, not to mention full training mode.

This how it needs to be. Dead or Alive 5 is going F2P as well.

Why pay content you don't use? It's better to have a standard, base-level game that allows you to pay for characters after the fact.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Funny idea for a F2P fighter with a lot of characters: allow users to pick random select and get any character at random. Then if you get one you seem to like, you can pick that one as your permanent "free" unlock. Past that you can use random to sample, but pay to unlock / earn in-game currency to unlock.

Maybe random select could be limited to a set number of characters each week, for the rotation.

kick51

Banned
I enjoyed DOA5 a whole lot more than TTT2 so there is that.
KuGsj.gif

hey, some people do and ill leave it at boobs. i mean leave it at that!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Exactly. You have to find a character you like playing as to like the game right? Limiting the character selection to a small portion of that is not helping that.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa color me interested. I was turned off from TTT2 after playing Hybrid. This might get me back.

Alienous

I wonder if Microsoft will change their stance on Free To Play for the Xbox One.

Also, I'm seeing a ton of ink effects in the trailer ...

Which is making me think that this game is comprised of the remnants of Tekken X Street Fighter.

Zukuu

Banned
You have the option to buy the full retail game in DoA5's case.

This F2P model is all about making people invest as much as they want to. If you want to pay nothing, you're covered, if you want everything you're covered. It's not a demo because you get full offline and online versus modes, not to mention full training mode.

I don't say f2p doesn't work, just that it needs to come up with a good business model.
It doesn't matter if you have full online / offline. Having only 4 characters our of a 50 character rooster doesn't work in a fighting game; hence me calling it a demo mode. FG are a peculiar case for a f2p model. It's not as easy to come up with a viable solution. The standard approach doesn't work out of the box tho.

kick51

Banned
Exactly. You have to find a character you like playing as to like the game right? Limiting the character selection to a small portion of that is not helping that.

if you get a base pack, but can still play against all chars online, it could work. then you buy your mains ala carte and F2P pot monsters buy up schoolgirl costume packs so namco can profit.

Also, I'm seeing a ton of ink effects in the trailer ...
Which is making me think that this game is comprised of the remnants of Tekken X Street Fighter.
Why? Ink is SF4's thing, SFxT was about a watercolor filter and there was nothing indicating that TxSF would follow suit.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
if you get a base pack, but can still play against all chars online, it could work. then you buy your mains ala carte and F2P pot monsters buy up schoolgirl costume packs so namco can profit.

Yeah but if I'm coming into this raw I don't have a main. Perhaps if they let you use every character in training mode and have the rotating cast be the ones you can use outside of that would be a better solution.

GrayFoxPL

These free to play editions aren't really aimed at players who either don't already know ins and outs of every character or aren't diehard fans of 1 or 2 characters.

Ayane maniacs will buy Ayane and fuck everything else.
Hwoarang fans will do the same.

Pro players will buy their strongest characters and there.

I personally prefer full retail versions rather then chopped cakes but oh well.

I don't say f2p doesn't work, just that it needs to come up with a good business model.
It doesn't matter if you have full online / offline. Having only 4 characters our of a 50 character rooster doesn't work in a fighting game; hence me calling it a demo mode. FG are a peculiar case for a f2p model. It's not as easy to come up with a viable solution. The standard approach doesn't work out of the box tho.
Doa5U has trials for everyone. You can test which characters you like before paying for them.

Tournaments will obviously just buy the full game.

EVOL 100%

Wait.. Tekken X Street Fighter is no longer a thing?

edit: I really like the idea of LoL's 'F2P' being implemented in fighting games. It just makes sense.

Alienous

Why? Ink is SF4's thing, SFxT was about a watercolor filter and there was nothing indicating that TxSF would follow suit.

Tekken X Street Fighter would have started conceptualization before the release of SFxT. Perhaps, inspired by Street Fighter 4, they would have implemented the 'ink' visuals. And, as a result of the fact that SFxT wasn't a big commercial success, just transformed the project into a F2P game.

notworksafe

That would be nice. Hated the direction the series went after it.
I blame Daishi. He seems big on grabbing parts from other fighters that seem cool instead of trying to keep Soul as its own series.

On Topic: So everyone's assuming this will be LOL style character rotation? I could see them having a base of free characters and then sell character packs like what the new Marvel MMO is doing. Of course they would sell stages, costume parts, and music as well.

Dahbomb

Yea if they allow all characters playable in training mode that is more acceptable. Really curious to see the model they adopt here.

This seems very strange to me. TT2 isn't even a year old and they're already coming out with a new F2P Tekken? Seems a bit early in my opinion. That being said, I'm looking forward to this.

ash_ag

If you think about it, they're not limiting it at all. You purchase your favourite character and stage and use them to fight online -- where you'll fight characters from the whole roster in every single stage. So, from a multiplayer perspective in practice, it's not a much more limited version than a whole version.

My only hope is that this doesn't make you pay anything close to the full price for a respectable experience. If buying every extra costed about the game's potential full price (and not more), I think many would join the deal.

Manbig

Gonna take the wait and see approach on this one. Luckily we won't have to wait long to find out what this is all about.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
These free to play editions aren't really aimed at players who either don't already know ins and outs of every character or aren't diehard fans of 1 or 2 characters.

Wouldn't those people already have the game? Assuming it's a chopped up version of TTT2.

tranciful

They could rotate free characters like LoL (so you can try out characters you never intended to buy, find what characters fit with your playstyle). They could let you use any character in practice matches, but only let you use characters you own for ranked matches and only let you customize characters you own. Or perhaps 'Random' character selection works for any character for free (another way to explore character you don't own). They could let you grind to unlock characters. F2P is flexible.

This "F2P can't work" stuff is nonsense. Chances are they'll have a "buy all the characters in the game" purchase that acts as a purchase of the full game (like the $29.99 purchase in Smite to get all current/future characters)

You guys forget, unlockable characters in fighting games is NOTHING NEW

Nazeem38

Banned
A F2P fighting game? I'm interested in how this turns out.

Hopefully they won't go crazy with the microtransactions. Though this is Bamco we're talking about.

Zukuu

Banned
Yeah but if I'm coming into this raw I don't have a main. Perhaps if they let you use every character in training mode and have the rotating cast be the ones you can use outside of that would be a better solution.

I think having the full roster (save for a few special characters) available for vs cpo and training mode is a requirement to even be considered a decent approach. You could buy the rights to fully unlock them by collecting in game currency by playing online (main income) and vs cpu or doing trials etc Once unlocked you can use that character for all modes. They could make a few characters in rotation to be free to try out online.

As for cash ins: costumes/colors/accessories/user titles/icons/instant unlock etc

GrayFoxPL

Wouldn't those people already have the game? Assuming it's a chopped up version of TTT2.

It's probably 1on1 version of Tag2 with new special effects and probably 1000 of costume items. But if it has gameplay differences, balance, moves, then people will buy it, but without Korean and Japanese arcade support it won't be as popular I guess.

Zukuu

Banned
If you think about it, they're not limiting it at all. You purchase your favourite character and stage and use them to fight online -- where you'll fight characters from the whole roster in every single stage. So, from a multiplayer perspective in practice, it's not a much more limited version than a whole version.

My only hope is that this doesn't make you pay anything close to the full price for a respectable experience. If buying every extra costed about the game's potential full price (and not more), I think many would join the deal.

That's the thing tho. What if you don't have a favorite character yet? You NEED to try out the characters for free. That's just mandatory. A fighting game rises and falls with its characters and how much you personally like them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
hey, some people do and ill leave it at boobs. i mean leave it at that!

herp derp.

Anyway, I'm shocked this is coming so soon. I'll probably try it out, see the juggles that are still in the game and be turned off like I was TTT1. :/

Top Bottom