• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Mrbob

Why do I have this feeling Disney is going to have a "special edition" release that will have Dolby vision 6 months from now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Actually that's perfect. You might not know this (I didn't at first either going into 5.1 many years ago) but when it comes to a 5.1 setup you are meant to the put those to the side, not rears. 7.1 is when you add rears.

So for 5.1 you have a front left, center, front right. Then you have a side left and side right speaker.
Also for the side speakers you should try to elevate them around 2'ish feet above your ear level when sitting.

I did know that, actually! My main concern isn't the angle of the rears, but the proximity to the couch (viewers). I would optimally like to have them further out to the sides, but that's not really possible in that space.

MrJames

Lol, oh man. So that should be on Vudu then?

Yeah, I'm guessing Vudu will have it in DV as pretty much everything UHD on there is DV. The question is how will their digital codes redeem. Will the DMA codes redeem as UHD or will they give you HDX only and make you pay full price to get the UHD digital version.

I'm gonna pull the trigger on a LG OLED in the next day or two but I can't decide which one to get between the C6, E6 and C7. I'd like a 3D set and the C6 is the cheapest but it only has 3 HDMI inputs when I'd prefer 4 and it's curved. The E6 is the most expensive and has 4 inputs and 3D but I doubt it's worth paying that much more than the C6. And the C7 I can pick up for the same price as the C6 and it has the increased brightness and lower input lag. I'm so torn between the three, haha. I know it kind of comes down to how much I really want 3D but if anyone has experience with them, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I would definitely go for a 2016 model with 3D. I jumped on one because I knew I would miss not having that feature. If you don't mind the curve, go with the cheaper model and use the extra money for a decent AVR and get more HDMI inputs and better sound (speakers not included).

torontoml

Can someone tell me what the box dimensions are for a 65" LG B/C7? I'm going to have to pick mine up and just wondering if I can lay it down in my truck bed.

Was tempted to grab a LG C7 but just couldn't swing it. Ended up getting an open box Sony X900E instead. Very glad I did. Colors and blacks don't touch OLED, but they are still great. Surprised I like it so much better than my X850D.

Mrbob

Nevermind about Blu Ray digital copies, only gives you regular hd on Vudu.

Was tempted to grab a LG C7 but just couldn't swing it. Ended up getting an open box Sony X900E instead. Very glad I did. Colors and blacks don't touch OLED, but they are still great. Surprised I like it so much better than my X850D.

x900E is a great tv, you will be happy.

The upcoming release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 will be HDR10 only for the UHD Blu-ray. Dolby Vision will be available for the streaming version though. Disappointing but pre-order is still on for me. I'll probably be watching the 3D version anyways.

https://twitter.com/thedigitalbits/status/887049526531379200

Yeah, seems stupid to not have both on the disc since they're creating both. But I'm still picking it up day one. The best buy set with both the 4K and the 3D discs.

I successfully downgraded the FW (you need to hook your TV to a PC/notebook, so it's not just simple USB stick stuff) and am now back on the earlier .99 FW (might be german only FW, so other EU countries would be .95).
Comparing HDR game with HDR standard, HDR game is actually a bit brighter. What a difference to the shitty new FW.
LG better release a new FW to fix it without forcing other ppl to downgrade as I did.

I'm pretty desperate, any drawbacks so far? Someone over on the AVS forums said that LG were aware of the problem and are working on a fix. But they were pretty vague and didn't mention any time frame, and someone else contacted customer service and they weren't aware of the problem. I'm thinking even if they do release a fix it'll be done at a leisurely pace and I kinda want sexy HDR for Uncharted next month. So I'm really thinking at attempting to downgrade. I've got a copy of the firmware I want, yet I don't want to brick my TV or anything like that. This is killing me!

I noticed no problems, though I don't know whether a downgrade might reset your settings. I haven't really changed any picture settings so that wouldn't bother me.
Anyways, so far I have only found downgrade files (FW alone is not enough) for European models, so if you're US based then you might be out of luck for the time being.

Leedogg

UGH!!! I completely didn't think that my LG E6 would automatically download the new firmware this soon. If you have a C6/E6 turn off automatic updates ASAP,

I noticed no problems, though I don't know whether a downgrade might reset your settings. I haven't really changed any picture settings so that wouldn't bother me.
Anyways, so far I have only found downgrade files (FW alone is not enough) for European models, so if you're US based then you might be out of luck for the time being.
I'm Australian, so I should be good. I'm currently in the process of trying it now.

So I wanted to try out some Vudu Dolby Vision on my LG C7 and remembered I have some digital copies from regular blu ray movies I decided to register on Vudu. Surprisingly a couple Blu Ray disc digital copies registered as UHD Dolby Vision movies for me on Vudu:

Pacific Rim (Code said it expired 10-22-15, guess not!)
Creed
Arrival
Edge of Tomorrow
The Accountant

You might want to double check that. Just because it has the UHD badge on it, doesn't mean you own the UHD version. It just means it's available in UHD. When it starts playing, pause it and see if it says UHD in the upper right corner.

Mrbob

You might want to double check that. Just because it has the UHD badge on it, doesn't mean you own the UHD version. It just means it's available in UHD. When it starts playing, pause it and see if it says UHD in the upper right corner.
Got it, just checked and only Mad Max is UHD since it's the one I bought a 4k disc for. Guess you don't get uhd versions with Blu Ray discs. Thanks for letting me know.

Mrbob

I just finished Daredevil season 1 and Dolby vision icon popped up for every episode, but I didn't think the effect was too great. Just started season 2 and DV seems way more apparent. But it's been working for me through the Netflix app on my TV. I have a C7 though I don't know why that would make a difference.

I'm guessing you sub to the 4k stream that is 11.99 a month.

Are you having bandwidth issues that the stream is downgrading to hd?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I just finished Daredevil season 1 and Dolby vision icon popped up for every episode, but I didn't think the effect was too great. Just started season 2 and DV seems way more apparent. But it's been working for me through the Netflix app on my TV. I have a C7 though I don't know why that would make a difference.

I'm guessing you sub to the 4k stream that is 11.99 a month.

Are you having bandwidth issues that the stream is downgrading to hd?

Nope. What's also odd is the ultra HD logo and 5.1 logo are gone from the title menu of Daredevil as well. Wonder if it's a server thing?

I can see it's flipping to 4K after buffering for a minute or so but the DV won't pop.

Amazon app works fine so hopefully just a glitch on their end

Edit: I have the higher end sub as well. Been watching past few days with no issues.

Mrbob

I just started Daredevil and Dolby Vision kicked in. Does the Daredevil page have a Dolby vision logo on it? The Daredevil page for me had only had the Dolby Vision and 5.1 logos on it.

DKF590

Anyone have any thoughts on how the 2016 Vizio P series holds up to this year's models? Coming pretty close to ordering a x900e but I see the 50 inch P series is available for around $800 and it's pretty tempting.

For LG OLED, is there any reason not to occasionally run the pixel refresher? I sometimes have my PC desktop connected and after a longer session, I'm afraid of more permanent image retention. It hasn't been an issue yet but every few days to a week I run the pixel refresher but I just want to be sure that isn't degrading the television in anyway.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Have you guys seen this?

Samsung Debuts World’s First Cinema LED Screen

Measuring nearly 34 feet wide, the resolution is 4096×2160. It’s fully capable of reproducing high dynamic-range (HDR) content with a peak brightness of 146 foot-lamberts (500 nits). That’s more than 10 times the DCI (Digital Cinema Initiative) spec of 14 fL (48 nits) and almost five times the peak brightness of Dolby Vision in a commercial setting (31 fL or 106 nits). Sure, it’s “only” half the peak brightness of many HDR TVs, but we’re talking about a 34-foot screen here! And the LEDs can be turned completely off, so the black level is unparalleled, leading to a nearly infinite contrast ratio.

For LG OLED, is there any reason not to occasionally run the pixel refresher? I sometimes have my PC desktop connected and after a longer session, I'm afraid of more permanent image retention. It hasn't been an issue yet but every few days to a week I run the pixel refresher but I just want to be sure that isn't degrading the television in anyway.

Expert's opinion is that you shouldn't use the manual algorithm and only rely on the automatic compensation cycle that runs in standby after every 4 hrs of use.

If you can wait, maybe the LG SJ9 would appear again for $400. It's a 5.1.2 Atmos capable soundbar.

It processes Atmos sound, but it's really not 5.1.2. However at $400, it's probably the most decent option. I'd get a receiver and 2 good bookshelf speakers personally.

zeeaykay

This may be a shot in the dark, but I'm apparently not as patient as I thought I was and am trying to devise a way to purchase a C7 sooner rather than later without breaking the bank (as much)...

Has anyone had any luck using their credit cards price matching or cash rewind feature to take advantage of grey market sellers like CliffsDeals, Joe's AV or East Coast TVs that have it market down to Black Friday prices already? Or waiting until 60 or 90 days (depending on your CC) before black Friday to you can use those sale prices for the price difference refund?

Mrbob

Get a price quote from Cleveland Plasma brah.

If you can wait, maybe the LG SJ9 would appear again for $400. It's a 5.1.2 Atmos capable soundbar.

Out of ccuriosity where was this 400? Retail price seems to be around 1000. I've been looking for a soundbar for a friend and it looks decent but he won't spend 1K on a soundbar.

J-P

Neo Member
This may be a shot in the dark, but I'm apparently not as patient as I thought I was and am trying to devise a way to purchase a C7 sooner rather than later without breaking the bank (as much)...

Has anyone had any luck using their credit cards price matching or cash rewind feature to take advantage of grey market sellers like CliffsDeals, Joe's AV or East Coast TVs that have it market down to Black Friday prices already? Or waiting until 60 or 90 days (depending on your CC) before black Friday to you can use those sale prices for the price difference refund?

This is exactly what I did. Paid $2600 to Cleveland plasma for a 65" B6 and used the east coast Tv add to get $500 back from my credit cards price protection

e90Mark

Get a price quote from Cleveland Plasma brah.

Out of ccuriosity where was this 400? Retail price seems to be around 1000. I've been looking for a soundbar for a friend and it looks decent but he won't spend 1K on a soundbar.

BuyDig.

I used my cash rewind with Citi. I did it literally an hour after I had ordered the TV. No issues.

Midas

I have serious issues with my PS4 Pro and my B6. The Tv recognize some kind of signal, but still claims there's no signal. If I start the PS4, my TV turns on, but no image/audio. Any ideas?

Ricky_R

Went to Sam's recently and they had a Samsung QLED tv on display and it's the first time in years that I had to stop for a minute so I could appreciate the amazing quality. I was amazed tbh.

RedAssedApe

Banned
so is the issue with the sony x900e not being dolby vision upgradable because the actual hardware would be too weak to support it via software? it does sound like that tv struggles with android tv performance. but wasn't sure if that was spec related or just android tv being not optimized.

in that same regard, are the more expensive sony's up-gradable because they already include the requisite hardware or because they just have enough processing power?

Klotera

so is the issue with the sony x900e not being dolby vision upgradable because the actual hardware would be too weak to support it via software? it does sound like that tv struggles with android tv performance. but wasn't sure if that was spec related or just android tv being not optimized.

in that same regard, are the more expensive sony's up-gradable because they already include the requisite hardware or because they just have enough processing power?

While the higher end Sony TVs do have a more powerful processor (X1 Extreme), I don't think we have any confirmation if it is because the regular X1 is physically incapable of processing Dolby Vision or if it is as much a business decision as anything at this point. (Please correct me if there has been some official confirmation on this).

Dolby Vision used to require hardware support, but they recently opened it up to software solutions. So, theoretically, if they could get a software solution running on the X1 processor, they could add support to the x900e. Do they have a business motivation to try do so? Not sure.

tmdorsey

While the higher end Sony TVs do have a more powerful processor (X1 Extreme), I don't think we have any confirmation if it is because the regular X1 is physically incapable of processing Dolby Vision or if it is as much a business decision as anything at this point. (Please correct me if there has been some official confirmation on this).

Dolby Vision used to require hardware support, but they recently opened it up to software solutions. So, theoretically, if they could get a software solution running on the X1 processor, they could add support to the x900e. Do they have a business motivation to try do so? Not sure.

It does seem that the sets getting the Dolby Vision have hardware support for it. So it's may simply be Sony doesn't want to try to develop a software based solution for it in the 900e.

Theonik

It does seem that the sets getting the Dolby Vision have hardware support for it. So it's may simply be Sony doesn't want to try to develop a software based solution for it in the 900e.
The regular X1 is not capable of DV. All Sony sets do DV in software, they kind of petitioned software DV to exist. But only the X1 extreme has the oumph.

Kudo

People talking about permanent burn-in on LG OLED at AVS, not sure if they mean it like "it can still happen" if you use it as PC monitor, or if someone have had this happen.
I don't plan to use it as monitor, only for media but just how prone are the OLEDs to burn-in? I wish there was some beginners guide to OLED, I also would like to know if the OLED Brightness has any effect on how fast the burn-in happens or not, I guess it's marginal.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Isn't the panel just 10-bit, while DV requires 12-bit? Also requires higher brightness? Sorry, I'm not super knowledgeable about what DV actually is or does vs regular 10-bit HDR, but it seems like there would be no point in the X900E even supporting it? Or if it that some content ONLY comes in DV, and if your set doesn't support it you don't get HDR at all?

Kyoufu

Are there any 4K Blu Ray players which support DV and don't cost over half a grand? Has Sony said anything about supporting it on their player>

torontoml

Are there any 4K Blu Ray players which support DV and don't cost over half a grand? Has Sony said anything about supporting it on their player>
I've read that the LG 970 is supposed to get the update within then next couple months. It's the one i bought last week with my TV.

tmdorsey

The regular X1 is not capable of DV. All Sony sets do DV in software, they kind of petitioned software DV to exist. But only the X1 extreme has the oumph.

A poster over at AVS got confirmation from Sony that the sets with the X1 extreme also have a SoC for Dolby Vision processing.

Top Bottom