• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I'm thinking at this point I'm going to wait a week for CES to wrap and all the info to get out about the new 2017 TV tech, and then start to eyeball sites for when the 2016 65" C6/E6s start dropping in price.

molnizzle

So I'm in the process of building a new home with another dedicated media room. Fully blacked out, dark paint and carpet, etc. Am I right in assuming that with an OLED TV, I won't be able to perceive the "black bars" when watching content that isn't 16:9? I've never been able to test this on an OLED screen in a fully blacked out room.

In the media room of my current house I use a 1080p projector thrown to a 106" screen with an adjustable aspect ratio. After years of using this and not seeing "black bars" it's incredibly jarring now. Especially at the cinema; when did they get lazy and stop adjusting their own screens for each film? Weeeeak.

Anyway, will OLED achieve what I'm looking for? I was thinking it would since there's no actual light emitted from the black bars.

...right?

BumRush

Yeah, that is incredibly negligible increase for normal use, I can see why they are using "25% at peak brightness" for marketing, but this is just another reason to run out and grab a LG B6/C6/E6 as soon as you can, the 2017 models really are an incremental improvement.

Hopefully the 2018 models get a big bump...because yeah, the 2017's (W excluded) are incremental.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Ouch. So much for the "new OLEDs". Maybe next year? :/

Oh, little more than an hour until Samsung's presentation. Their QLEDs sound interesting with 1500 to 2000 nits and better viewing angles.

xinek

This has put me over the edge to getting the 65" B6 OLED. The idea of buying one at a place with price protection seems a great strategy -- no stressing about shopping upcoming Super Bowl sales. Something to note -- I just chatted with Amazon to see if you can get multiple price matches if the price drops more than once, and they said you can only use the low price guarantee one time.

Something else to check -- my credit card also has price protection, so that's another protection against a price drop.

Is East Coast TVs legit? Their prices are incredibly low.

ShutterMunster

Surprised by the 10% figure. I wonder if they're having development troubles.

A lot of 2017 4K UHD sets are launching at nice price points. It's going to be a blood bath next Black Friday.

Well I'm just gonna put this out there, current HDR TV owners and prospective owners, do yourself a favour and watch Smurfs 2 4K Blu! Oh man it's just ridiculously good in places, absolute demo material for people who want to justify their purchase and wow others. Native 4K and all 98% DCI ;)

jwhit28

It's gonna be impossible to get any info about things like input lag on these 2017 models in time to make an informed decision during the Super Bowl sales isn't it?

NYR

Currently still using a cheap 2014 1080p Vizio. I was hoping to make the jump to OLED this year (along with 4k and HDR) after skipping last year since all the standards seemed to still be in flux. This year isn't looking much better as far as I can tell.

Not sure if I should just jump in anyways or keep waiting.

Jump in and buy a 2016 model. Don't worry about this HDR shit, as long as you support one standard, you'll be fine.

Ouch. So much for the "new OLEDs". Maybe next year? :/
Exact opposite. Jump on the 2016 models.

wtd2009

TCL show:

TCL P series Roku TV
  • Three sizes from 50 to 65 inches
  • Contrast Control Zone (local dimming) technology with 72 zones
  • Dolby Vision and HDR10 high dynamic range (HDR)
  • Wide Color Gamut (percentage DCI unspecified)
  • 4K resTtolution
  • Roku TV operating system
  • Remote with voice search, headphone jack for private listening

Full Array Local Dimming for $500 (50")? Not bad for a budget set.

How can this be possible though? Eventually, 4K will become the norm as 480, 720 and (ongoing) 1080P have been. 3D was never (and will never be) the norm.
Nice. Will have to consider that in the context of inevitable process drops on last year's higher tier products/brands.

Caayn

So I'm in the process of building a new home with another dedicated media room. Fully blacked out, dark paint and carpet, etc. Am I right in assuming that with an OLED TV, I won't be able to perceive the "black bars" when watching content that isn't 16:9? I've never been able to test this on an OLED screen in a fully blacked out room.
Black on a OLED is as black as it can get in your room. I need the stand-by light to tell me that the my OLED TV is off and not just displaying a black screen.

NYR

In the media room of my current house I use a 1080p projector thrown to a 106" screen with an adjustable aspect ratio. After years of using this and not seeing "black bars" it's incredibly jarring now. Especially at the cinema; when did they get lazy and stop adjusting their own screens for each film? Weeeeak.

Anyway, will OLED achieve what I'm looking for? I was thinking it would since there's no actual light emitted from the black bars.

...right?

LG E6 owner here. Can completely confirm you will never have an issue with black bars not being black, OLED, by definition, allows you to turn on and off each pixel, which means those black bars are "off", which means true black. Never had any issue with the black bars, I know what you are talking about too, I am a former edge lit LED owner, so I know what you mean when the black bars are lit up.

holygeesus

Banned
Black on a OLED is as black as it can get in your room. I need the stand-by light to tell me that the my OLED TV is off and not just displaying a black screen.

This. You can't see an OLED in a dark room when black is displayed. That is kinda their selling point. Still blows my mind though when I see it.

It would seem, that light output is not likely to be increased to anything like LCD standards, with OLED tech, for some time, if the 10% mentioned above is anything to go by. Makes a clear divide between the two formats to me. Of course that only becomes an issue, when HDR material becomes more widespread.

spookyfish

Huh?
There's far more 4K content than there is 3D already, not even including PC and gaming benefits.

4K will absolutely be the norm.

How is there more 4K content than 3D, in terms of physical and digital content? I have more than 250 3D BDs, and that's not nearly all of them. There aren't 100 4K discs available -- and 3D is still being produced. (BTW, not talking about gaming - but eveyone posting that has a point ...)

AND -- most 4K media right now is just 2K upconverted, not worth the price of admission. Give me a full 4K interpositive -- which more movies will be doing in the future -- and then we'll talk.

EDIT: I still maintain that active 3D was the mistake. I was never interested in it until full HD passive was available. If they would push that with 4K, then ... but, here we are.

ShutterMunster

This. You can't see an OLED in a dark room when black is displayed. That is kinda their selling point. Still blows my mind though when I see it.

It would seem, that light output is not likely to be increased to anything like LCD standards, with OLED tech, for some time, if the 10% mentioned above is anything to go by. Makes a clear divide between the two formats to me. Of course that only becomes an issue, when HDR material becomes more widespread.

I saw something about Panasonic's EZ1002 being twice as bright as LG's offerings (peak brightness), which would be super dope. No DV though, which blows. Dolby doesn't seem to be chasing these guys too hard.

4K is an invisible upgrade. It will surpass 3D's penetration numbers in no time (if it hasn't already).

NYR

I saw something about Panasonic's EZ1002 being twice as bright as LG's offerings (peak brightness), which would be super dope. No DV though, which blows. Dolby doesn't seem to be chasing these guys too hard.

I don't believe that, it's marketing speak. In the same press release, they state the EZ1002 is "the first HDR-capable Ultra HD OLED TV".

molnizzle

LG E6 owner here. Can completely confirm you will never have an issue with black bars not being black, OLED, by definition, allows you to turn on and off each pixel, which means those black bars are "off", which means true black. Never had any issue with the black bars, I know what you are talking about too, I am a former edge lit LED owner, so I know what you mean when the black bars are lit up.

Awesome, thanks.

I'm probably just gonna buy a 2016 model then. I just wish the 77" sets weren't so damn expensive. 65" is gonna be a hell of a downsize from my projector screen. lol

ShutterMunster

I don't believe that, it's marketing speak. In the same press release, they state the EZ1002 is "the first HDR-capable Ultra HD OLED TV".

That last line sounds like LG shade to me. It'll be easy to call them on the 2x claim once sets are out in the wild.

AddiF

So.... info on the 2017 LG OLEDs is getting out from CES.

Will it be worth waiting to buy the 2017 or is the upgrade minimal? I see it has 21ms input lag, compared to 33ms if I recall correctly and more HDR support. Is that pretty much all the upgrade? Need some serious TV-heads to guide me here haha :)

NYR

Will it be worth waiting to buy the 2017 or is the upgrade minimal? I see it has 21ms input lag, compared to 33ms if I recall correctly and more HDR support. Is that pretty much all the upgrade? Need some serious TV-heads to guide me here haha :)

Where are you seeing 21ms input lag? The owner of AVS Forums asked LG today and they said it will be the same as current models of around 30ms, they said there has to be sacrifices made to get lower than 30 that effect picture quality and tone mapping.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...61-lg-oled-tvs-ces-2017-a-3.html#post49550169

The 2017 OLEDs are basically the same, with some minor details. Buy a 2016 if you can:

1) Increase in peak brightness, but may only net 10% increase in nits on a full screen HDR screen
2) Addition of two new HDR "formats" - HLG and Technicolor HDR
3) Now covers 99 percent of DCI color space
4) No more 3D on any model
5) No more curved on any model
6) Here is the model design differences, same screen:
B7: crescent stand, "blade slim" look
C7: premium aluminum stand and bezel
E7: picture-on-glass design with integrated sound bar
G7: picture-on-glass design with foldable integrated sound bar

ShutterMunster

Read the last page and half...

BumRush

It looks like the "biggest" change is a 25% increase to peak brightness and a 10% increase to overall brightness...which is incremental at best.

No word on the upcoming (gamechanging) HDMI 2.1 support, although it's almost guaranteed that will never make it into the 2016 variants.

Lastly, the W model was announced, which is 1/10 of an inch thick (no price yet)

vpance

That last line sounds like LG shade to me. It'll be easy to call them on the 2x claim once sets are out in the wild.

They said 2x conventional OLED TVs. At best It'll be similar to LGs latest. Same goes for Sony, probably.

Hoping Sammy's QLEDs are a contender.

pswii60

Looks like my next TV upgrade will be whichever supports both HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh for gaming.. when consoles support it too anyway. Until then, my C6 will continue to do me nicely.

I'm baffled as to why Samsung are still messing about improving LCD though. Just put that investment in to a new TV technology and leave LCD in the past where it belongs.

ShutterMunster

They said 2x conventional OLED TVs. At best It'll be similar to LGs latest. Same goes for Sony, probably.

Hoping Sammy's QLEDs are a contender.

"Conventional OLED" LG is the only one making them lol. I used to use the Sony PVMA170 for work, but I doubt they're talking about that panel. (I don't even think Sony makes that panel.)

I was just looking at those QLED Samsungs...interesting.
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/4/14162106/new-samsung-qled-tv-announced-4k-ces-2017

NYR

So how long do I have roughly to get a 2016 C6?
You can still find a 2015 OLED online if you really want it, but I wouldn't wait much longer, especially not to April, stores will need to make room on the show floor for new models. Personally, the buzz online is that people who waited for the 2017 models are going to go out and buy the 2016 model since the 2017s are an incremental increase, so I expect supply to diminish.

Keep in mind LG is killing curved TVs so if people want a curved, they have limited options now.

Heel

Sear my retinas with 2000 nits.

DSCF0208.jpg

You can still find a 2015 OLED online if you really want it, but I wouldn't wait much longer, especially not to April, stores will need to make room on the show floor for new models. Personally, the buzz online is that people who waited for the 2017 models are going to go out and buy the 2016 model since the 2017s are an incremental increase, so I expect supply to diminish.

Keep in mind LG is killing curved TVs so if people want a curved, they have limited options now.
Interesting. I would like to keep 3D if possible, so I may jump on it when I get a chance unless the new rumored Sony models are showstoppers.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm contemplating buying a 2016 OLED now for dirt cheap(if possible) to hold me over till PS5 hits and I'll upgrade to OLED with HDMI 2.1 then.

Fak.

HDMI Forum: "It's time to tank TV sales this year guys"

LMAO nothing like a new HDMI announcement to completely destroy my desire to buy a new TV this year. My X900A lives on!

NYR

I'm contemplating buying a 2016 OLED now for dirt cheap(if possible) to hold me over till PS5 hits and I'll upgrade to OLED with HDMI 2.1 then.

Fak.

DO IT. Things that will use 2.1 are a half decade away at the earliest, like you mentioned, maybe PS5, but that might be well into the 2020s, so don't worry about it.

Buy now and you won't regret it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
How is there more 4K content than 3D, in terms of physical and digital content? I have more than 250 3D BDs, and that's not nearly all of them. There aren't 100 4K discs available -- and 3D is still being produced. (BTW, not talking about gaming - but eveyone posting that has a point ...)

AND -- most 4K media right now is just 2K upconverted, not worth the price of admission. Give me a full 4K interpositive -- which more movies will be doing in the future -- and then we'll talk.

EDIT: I still maintain that active 3D was the mistake. I was never interested in it until full HD passive was available. If they would push that with 4K, then ... but, here we are.

Oh, I was not only counting UHD BD but also the 4K content available via streaming and download services such as Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc.

You're right in that a lot of it isn't true 4K due to the source being mastered in 2K and such.

Ultimately I just mean that sets will continue to grow in resolution, even if the content isn't there. 4K will become the standard (if it hasn't already considering even budget brands are UHD now).
Unfortunately 3D has diminished since it wasn't included in the UHD spec. Passive 3D on OLED is the best you can get, so get a 2016 LG set while you can.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
DO IT. Things that will use 2.1 are a half decade away at the earliest, like you mentioned, maybe PS5, but that might be well into the 2020s, so don't worry about it.

Oh I will now if I can find one for dirt cheap. This HDMI 2.1 spec news utterly fucked my 2017 OLED purchase this year lmao. 2017 models ain't that big of an improvement over the 2016 models so I'm definitely jumping in. Fuck the wait, gimmie that HDR & sexy contrast.

NYR

HDMI Forum: "It's time to tank TV sales this year guys"
Meh. New HDMI standard every 3 years and it takes 2+ years for standardization when things really start to use it. I am not worried about support for 8K, we barely have any 4K content nowadays relative to 1080p.

vpance

"Conventional OLED" LG is the only one making them lol. I used to use the Sony PVMA170 for work, but I doubt they're talking about that panel. (I don't even think Sony makes that panel.)

I was just looking at those QLED Samsungs...interesting.
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/4/14162106/new-samsung-qled-tv-announced-4k-ces-2017

Conventional OLEDs they made in their lab a few years ago probably :)

The QLEDs are edge lit but supposedly they figured a way to minimize the usual issues.

AddiF

You're convincing me on jumping the gun and buying an E6 this weekend. I'd love to get the E7, but so far what I've read on the ol' interwebs, there really is no need to wait.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I'm more interested in Sasmsung's QLEDs this year. They're claiming 100% DCI color space coverage and up to 2000 nits of brightness, this is insane. Also, better viewing angles.

Meh. New HDMI standard every 3 years and it takes 2+ years for standardization when things really start to use it. I am not worried about support for 8K, we barely have any 4K content nowadays relative to 1080p.

Adaptive Refresh as a universal standard in TVs is HUGE and worth waiting for.

Top Bottom