• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Kyoufu

I'm curious how Sony will handle image retention on their OLED TV. LG's compensation cycles and screen dimming when on a static picture do a really good job.

NYR

Will certainly give em a look! I remember seeing the C6 (I think...or maybe it was the B6?) on display at Best Buy and was blown away by picture quality. My big concern is just the brightness on the tv affecting HDR content, though most don't seem to make an issue about it.
Yeah, brightness is an issue when you first boot up the TV, it is jarring coming from an LCD.

Once you calibrate though, you really get used to it and it isn't so bad, if anything, you realize LCD/LED TVs are a bit too bright. It's not even an issue for me anymore, even in HDR.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Will certainly give em a look! I remember seeing the C6 (I think...or maybe it was the B6?) on display at Best Buy and was blown away by picture quality. My big concern is just the brightness on the tv affecting HDR content, though most don't seem to make an issue about it.

It's all highly dependent on your own personal room space and lighting.

NYR

Someone on AVSforums brought up a reason why the Sony OLED TV might be tilted. Since the TV has no base and the screen is so close to the surface where it sits, it may reflect the base surface onto the TV. Makes sense.

So with all the big players having announced their 2017 lineup, there's quite a bit for me to digest, and even more info like technical specs and pricing we still need. It'll probably be awhile for all the relevant info to fully be released. But things seems a lot more complicated than I anticipated before today. HDMI 2.1, Sony OLED, abandonment of 3D, etc..

My initial gut feeling is to jump-in on the 2016 OLEDs before they're gone, now. My worry is that with them being the last and greatest 3D displays, they may become highly coveted and not drop in price much if at all.

And with HDMI 2.1 and all it's wonderful features likely coming 2018 at the earliest, 2017 sets are kind of in no-man's land, but for likely a premium price.

But like I said, a lot to digest and still more info to come.

The Beard

Someone on AVSforums brought up a reason why the Sony OLED TV might be tilted. Since the TV has no base and the screen is so close to the surface where it sits, it may reflect the base surface onto the TV. Makes sense.

Sounds like a flaw that was "fixed" with another flaw to me.

The new LG E7; looks identical to my E6 minus the leveling base, it is bigger and lifted which means the TV isn't flat all the way - E6 still my favorite TV design.

medium01.jpg

Agree, I like how my E6 is flat at the base, I wouldn't like it elevated like that. Looks goofy with the soundbar raised.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

ShutterMunster

It looks like Samsung stole the show on the TV front this year. I have a few friends covering the show for The Verge and Engadget and they're beyond impressed.

EDIT: Lot of praise coming in for LG sets too. This ones a toss up, lol.

Geneijin

LG passing out press releases at the show stating their 2017 Oled sets have 21ms of input lag!!

This is great news! Also LG Stated today that ABL will not kick in if the tv is setup for 150nits or under for sdr which is perfect for a calibrated set :)

Look like they fixed a lot of problems I Had with the c6 I had ( input lag and abl ). Just hoping it doesn't have a piss stain in the middle that the c6 I had and uniformity at near black is improved more.

Link:

https://disqus.com/by/flatpanels/?
Honestly, the LG 2017 OLED HDTVs are worthwhile solely for no ABL under <150 nits for SDR content especially if they're priced at $2000 and $3000 for 55" & 65" respectively on their lower models. That's if you care about a professionally calibrated picture and if you're sensitive to the ABL though.

finalflame

Looks like 2017 is the year of OLED for me boys. I knew waiting for the real deal 2017 OLEDs was worth it. Bring on the non-ABL and 21ms input lag!

DeVeAn

What is the best 40 inch 4K HDR gaming tv to get now? Had a 55 Sony w900a but it's 1000 miles away from me...

finalflame

I like how this is the opposite reaction of most people, haha.
And where is that input lag number from?

Here it is:

LG passing out press releases at the show stating their 2017 Oled sets have 21ms of input lag!!

This is great news! Also LG Stated today that ABL will not kick in if the tv is setup for 150nits or under for sdr which is perfect for a calibrated set :)

Look like they fixed a lot of problems I Had with the c6 I had ( input lag and abl ). Just hoping it doesn't have a piss stain in the middle that the c6 I had and uniformity at near black is improved more.

Link:

https://disqus.com/by/flatpanels/?

I'll also consider Samsung's QLED offerings, but either way my KS8000 is getting replaced :)

Reallink

Wait, LG are passing out press kits with input lag bullet points? Gotta see pics of this, that's completely unprecedented, no manufacturer has ever even acknowledged input lag in an official capacity on a Television. The Vizio Exec/CM last year on AVS or Twitter disseminating placation to the rabid mob is the closest we've ever seen.

The Beard

I like how this is the opposite reaction of most people, haha.
And where is that input lag number from?

This is the year of meh. The only thing that could save it is consumer friendly pricing from LG and Sony.

HDMI 2.1 sounds like an absolute must have. Variable refresh rates sounds amazing.

Theonik

Like I said, conferences are a whole load of nothing. Any substance will come from interviews on the show floor.

NYR

Like I said, conferences are a whole load of nothing. Any substance will come from interviews on the show floor.
Press kits are already out for the majority of the major releases. Unless you're talking about real testing.

vivftp

It looks like Samsung stole the show on the TV front this year. I have a few friends covering the show for The Verge and Engadget and they're beyond impressed.

EDIT: Lot of praise coming in for LG sets too. This ones a toss up, lol.

I'm curious to see how the new Samsungs will compare against the Z9 series TVs for image quality. I'm still going to guess the Z9 will be superior if only due to the edge lit vs. master backlight drive tech.

I was watching the Sony conference at work so I couldn't give it my full attention, but when I heard Kaz mention Crystal LED my heart skipped for a moment in hopes that CLED consumer displays might be ready. Alas, he was just talking about the CLEDIS display, oh well.

Barring any unforseen expenses I should be buying my new TV later this year. I would hope to have it in time for Destiny 2's arrival so I can enjoy that game in the best possible way. I'll keep my eye on the Sony OLEDs. Unless they're EXTREMELY expensive, I'd like to get the 65".

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wait, LG are passing out press kits with input lag bullet points? Gotta see pics of this, that's completely unprecedented, no manufacturer has ever even acknowledged input lag in an official capacity on a Television. The Vizio Exec/CM last year on AVS or Twitter disseminating placation to the rabid mob is the closest we've ever seen.

Yeah, I've never heard of that either.
Need real tests though. Can't really trust PR.

Paragon

Honestly, the LG 2017 OLED HDTVs are worthwhile solely for no ABL under <150 nits for SDR content especially if they're priced at $2000 and $3000 for 55" & 65" respectively on their lower models. That's if you care about a professionally calibrated picture and if you're sensitive to the ABL though.
150 nits is the same as last year, they're just making it a marketing point now for some reason.
With variable refresh rate support, 8K60 and 4K120 now officially included in HDMI 2.1, I'm waiting for displays which support that.
I expected them to at least support fixed refresh rate HFR (4K120) even if they didn't include VRR support.

jfoul

Looks like I'll be holding onto my Panasonic Plasma until HDMI 2.1 spec is implemented. I'm guessing we'll see Panels, and receivers during CES 2018.

MazeHaze

Banned
I'll be holding onto my ks8000 for the next couple years, but it's good to know input lag is a priority now and I can jump on an OLED once hdmi 2.1 gets sorted out.

holygeesus

Banned
Well I've woken up to IMO disappointing news from Sony. Even before anything else, that sloped design kills any enthusiasm I have for it. I also see nothing in it, that would sway people who have been waiting to jump into OLED - the ZD9 is still a far, far better TV for HDR and the Sony will still have the shortfalls of the other 2017 panels. 2.1 is the real plus point, but if it's not due till 2018 anyway, other sets next year will likely have the same spec anyway, so it will still be a waiting game for many.

I was hoping the rumours of targeting mainstream consumers was true, but I can't see those sets being cheap. Meh.

Rodin

Great stuff, but nothing that can tempt me to not wait for 2018 models.

In fact, colors at extreme viewing angles are retained more accurately than they were with last year’s OLED TVs, which exhibited a noticeable shift in color tone when viewed from the side.
Hahaha

vivftp

I'm hoping the fact that Sony views the Z9 as their flagship line will set an upper limit on the price for the OLEDs. After all, what are the chances they wouldn't make their flagship sets their most expensive?

Can't believe some people are falling for QLED markering. This is LCD all the way, check out these "blacks" in a well lit area. Now I'm going with B6 with no worries about 2017 year being much better.

QLED_zpst58o6z1d.png

Caayn

I'm kinda surprised that Sony went for a stand that makes it impossible to put the TV straight unless you mount it. Causing you to always view it under an angle.

Wonder how they stack up against LG's own OLEDs and Panasonics' OLEDs. Especially on brightness, motion and IR as that seemed to be a major issues for some people here.

Yjynx

Can't believe some people are falling for QLED markering. This is LCD all the way, check out these "blacks" in a well lit area. Now I'm going with B6 with no worries about 2017 year being much better.

QLED_zpst58o6z1d.png

LOL people at AVforum are quite dissapointed with Samsung. For whatever reason some people here really fall for "QLED" marketing term which is not even real QLED. The tech was similiar to Sony previous Triluminos quantum dot as a matter of fact.

I highly doubt it even bettter than Sony ZD9 series.

The Beard

QLED_zpst58o6z1d.png

Yep, it's the same marketing strategy as "LED TV" from a few years back. People bought in thinking it was a new screen tech, not realizing it was just the same old LCD with LED backlights instead of a fluorescent light.

All 3 of their "QLED" TVs this year are going to be LED edge-lit, that should kill anyone's hopes that this might be an "OLED Killer" lol. As seen in the pic you posted, the blacks are very shitty.

Buying an edge lit TV is such a gamble. There are numerous issues that any panel you bring home could end up having.

LOL people at AVforum are quite dissapointed with Samsung. For whatever reason some people here really fall for "QLED" marketing term which is not even real QLED. The tech was similiar to Sony previous quantum dot as a matter of fact.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. This is still Edge Lit LED through and through.

It's funny how every year you hear the same thing. Oh, they finally solved the issues. Until you see the Tvs, and guess what.

LOL people at AVforum are quite dissapointed with Samsung. For whatever reason some people here really fall for "QLED" marketing term which is not even real QLED. The tech was similiar to Sony previous quantum dot as a matter of fact.

From what I've read yesterday before bed, all of the new Samsungs are edge-lit LCD even Q9. Which means that this year's KS9800 is probably a better TV for HDR with it's full array backlight.

EDIT* Beaten by The Beard.

Sky Chief

WebOS is far superior to Android on TV. There is no contest.

There is actually some truth to that. If I have an all-white image on the screen, viewing at an angle introduces tinting.

I'm just bought into the Google Home / Chromecast ecosystem and love it. I would rather have that functionality built in natively than use a Chromecast.

J-Rzez

Wow did Samsung really have nothing to show outside of aesthetic improvements for a TV? They'll sell for their name and marketing hype, once again, while Sony and LG will be where the picture enthusiasts go. LGs OLEDs will carry on their dominating run. But Sony really came out swinging this year. I'm hoping their processing, which is the same as the Z9 addresses my only issue with LGs and thats the occasional judder. Maybe LG addressed this as well. And maybe Sony can get android tv sorted out bug/jankiness wise.

Funny that Sony uses the screen as its speaker though. And funny they're still pushing the Z9 as the daddy mack when more people will say their OLED is the way to go. Guess they have a lot of Z9s to move yet.

Will have to see both in person. Ill just move my old OLED to another room. The added brightness is meh, HDR still looks the best with OLED. LGs lower reported input lag will be welcome.

Still cant believe Samsung had NOTHING of importance and just pandering more to the people who worry what the set looks like rather than what the picture looks like. When they bet on the wrong OLED tech which failed that must have set them back big time. Wow.

That HDMI 2.1 announcement has killed any enthusiasm I had for buying an OLED.

Sonys slanted design kills it for me as I don't want my TV wall mounted.

But really, the 2.1 is the nail in the coffin.

Just stick with my Sony KDL 50W829B for a while longer :/

J-Rzez

That HDMI 2.1 announcement has killed any enthusiasm I had for buying an OLED.

I'm still torn on that. Looking at that specification, which I'm usually all about new features, not much to get excited for. 8K? Good luck with that for the next few years. 4k/120p? Once again, very very niche. Added HDR functionality is the only thing of interest.

I'm more disappointed LG didnt get their stackable RGB tech or whatever they're calling it in these new panels. 99%+ DCI is good. Probably well into rec 2020.

Caayn

I'm still torn on that. Looking at that specification, which I'm usually all about new features, not much to get excited for. 8K? Good luck with that for the next few years. 4k/120p? Once again, very very niche. Added HDR functionality is the only thing of interest.

I'm more disappointed LG didnt get their stackable RGB tech or whatever they're calling it in these new panels. 99%+ DCI is good. Probably well into rec 2020.
HDMI 2.1 also allows for VRR and 10bit/12bit colour at 4K60Hz while using RGB or Chroma 4:4:4 which HDMI 2.0 isn't capable of. I'd say that those two extra features are a worthy step-up even for TV's that don't have a 120Hz or 8K panel.

Top Bottom