• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

luffeN

Is anyone here following the 4K HDR projector scene? Is it realistic to expect a 4K projector between 2000 and 4000 Euro/Dollar?

Geneijin

150 nits is the same as last year, they're just making it a marketing point now for some reason.
With variable refresh rate support, 8K60 and 4K120 now officially included in HDMI 2.1, I'm waiting for displays which support that.
I expected them to at least support fixed refresh rate HFR (4K120) even if they didn't include VRR support.
Source?

luffeN

mrtoaster

Neo Member
What do you guys say about Sony X750D 65 inch? It has all the things I want from new TV (4k and HDR) and has 100hz panel. Price is also about right.

In Europe the model is KD65XD7505BAEP.

Rtings website also has review it.

Paragon

HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rates is the best news from CES for me.
The worst being that we'll probably have to wait until CES 2018 for TVs that support it.

Can't believe some people are falling for QLED markering. This is LCD all the way, check out these "blacks" in a well lit area. Now I'm going with B6 with no worries about 2017 year being much better.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/allangelsgone/QLED_zpst58o6z1d.png
Who said it wasn't LCD? It's LCD with an improved color filter to improve color volume, viewing angle, and efficiency/brightness.

qledcolorvolume8csai.jpg

Most OLEDs, and WOLED in particular, don't have perfect viewing angles.
They don't have the contrast/gamma changes of LCD, but there are noticeable color changes and loss of brightness at wider angles.
CRT > Plasma >>> WOLED >>>>> IPS LCD >>>>>>>>>> VA LCD >>> TN LCD

QLED seems like it may actually have better-than-OLED viewing angle as far as color is concerned, but not black level/contrast.

http://rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6 Sustained 100% Window: 151 cd/m²

EDIT: Looks like rtings have some new image retention tests too.
Objective data showing that image retention happens on OLED.

http://rtings.com/tv/learn/image-retention-burn-in

Anarion07

The worst being that we'll probably have to wait until CES 2018 for TVs that support it.

Who said it wasn't LCD? It's LCD with an improved color filter to improve color volume, viewing angle, and efficiency/brightness.

Most OLEDs, and WOLED in particular, don't have perfect viewing angles.
They don't have the contrast/gamma changes of LCD, but there are noticeable color changes and loss of brightness at wider angles.
CRT > Plasma >>> WOLED >>>>> IPS LCD >>>>>>>>>> VA LCD >>> TN LCD

QLED seems like it may actually have better-than-OLED viewing angle as far as color is concerned, but not black level/contrast.

http://rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6 Sustained 100% Window: 151 cd/m²

EDIT: Looks like rtings have some new image retention tests too.
Objective data showing that image retention happens on OLED.

http://rtings.com/tv/learn/image-retention-burn-in

Good thing they added that. But also stating they have never seen permanent burn in on oled is pretty positive.
Looking at the B6 I think they made a mistake because the Retention actually goes up at the 10 minutes after mark (to 2 minute after recovery levels). Doesn't seem quite right

Fitts

I'm excited to see what Sony does with OLED. I may finally get to stop worrying about what I'll do if my plasma dies.

And I get why they went for the wow factor with the stand over function, but that's whatever. As long as a TV is wall mountable you can bolt on a universal stand and keep it nearly as low profile.

Would buying a TV now without the new HDMI standard really be an issue? For gaming on consoles I assume variable refresh is the only possible benefit in the mid-term?

Theonik

Would buying a TV now without the new HDMI standard really be an issue? For gaming on consoles I assume variable refresh is the only possible benefit in the mid-term?
For PC use I'd say 2.1 is a godsend. 4k HDR without chroma subsampling 120hz and vrr these will not all be possible for a while though.

Eylos

Banned

from what i understand

if you are looking for a tv for a future ps5, yes

if you are looking for a tv for a short term period (3 years), then no

BumRush

It really just depends on your buying habits. A lot of folks in here tend to buy top of the line and keep it for 5-6 years. If that's the way you buy, waiting makes sense. If you like to get a new TV every 2-3 years there is definitely less of a reason to wait.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. This is still Edge Lit LED through and through.

It's funny how every year you hear the same thing. Oh, they finally solved the issues. Until you see the Tvs, and guess what.

Well, I mean, it's funnier that people fall for it every year. The improvements they make year-over-year typically do stack up to something significant if you only buy every 3+ years.

Many edge-lit LEDS were actually a regression over CFL-backlit sets when they first came out, picture quality-wise, but now most good sets are night and day improvements over CFL PQ, let alone non-backlight-related improvements.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can't believe some people are falling for QLED markering. This is LCD all the way, check out these "blacks" in a well lit area. Now I'm going with B6 with no worries about 2017 year being much better.

Bigger deal with the Samsung sets is the nits and color volume. In theory this should help greatly with regards to actual HDR content.

We are stuck in a weird place where LCD still can't get the true blacks people want, but OLED can't get bright enough or have the color volume to fully handle HDR content like it is meant to be.

Sadly I'm not sure this is magically gonna be solved anytime soon on either end anytime soon.

Theonik

For PC use I'd say 2.1 is a godsend. 4k HDR without chroma subsampling 120hz and vrr these will not all be possible for a while though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Also depends on how good or bad your current TV is.

If you have a shitty TV, your TV is dead/dying, maybe you moved and want a new TV, or maybe you want a bigger TV you could always buy now.

Conversely if you have a decent setup already no reason to rush if you don't have to.

Also if you have a house vs a smaller appartment you could buy with the idea that you could keep using that TV you bought elsewhere in the house. Then buy a new TV down the road for your main TV space.

It's also worth noting you could use this time to bank more cash if you want for a TV in the future. You also could get something like a cheap entry level Vizio of need be to tied you over.

YMMV on all of this.

Ok, so I really like 3D. So I want the LG E6 instead of the E7, BUT is there anything in the E7s that is much better than the E6? I can be persuaded to wait for the E7, but I really do love 3D.

ACH1LL3US

Ok, so I really like 3D. So I want the LG E6 instead of the E7, BUT is there anything in the E7s that is much better than the E6? I can be persuaded to wait for the E7, but I really do love 3D.

E7 will have 21ms of input lag and if the tv is calibrated at 150nits or under for sdr then you will have no ABL.

Those are two areas I really wanted improved over the 2106 models. I had an E6 and a C6. The c6 had better uniformity then the e6 from what I could tell.

The big thing here is lower lag and no abl on the 2017's. I would wait the 3-4 months and grab the 2017 sets if those two things matter to you, if not go for the e6!

BumRush

In addition to what ACH1LL3US said, the 2017 model will be slightly brighter (10%) and *might* be able to accept the upcoming HDMI 2.1 standard, while its almost guaranteed the 2016 model won't. That will require you to wait until Q2 or later though, as nothing more is known regarding 2.1 compatibility

E7 will have 21ms of input lag and if the tv is calibrated at 150nits or under for sdr then you will have no ABL.

Those are two areas I really wanted improved over the 2106 models. I had an E6 and a C6. The c6 had better uniformity then the e6 from what I could tell.

The big thing here is lower lag and no abl on the 2017's. I would wait the 3-4 months and grab the 2017 sets if those two things matter to you, if not go for the e6!

The high latency got fixed on the 2016 stuff though right? It was like 60+ but it supposed to be improved now, but I cant find out what it has changed too.

I had to look up ABL, which is apparently, Automatic Brightness Limiter which my Panasonic plasma might already have, so it probably isnt an issue.

Latency is an issue though, I will want to use HDR for sure, so if the latency isnt fixed in the E6 then I will probably have to go with the E7 :(

Kambing

Can somebody help me here please, I was looking through some of the promo material for the A1E, and on some of the pictures it actually looks like it also has an alternate type of stand

Go to Sony's website, and you'll notice that this is actually a product image for their refreshed 930/940 line.

ShutterMunster

Don't think I'm waiting around for HDMI 2.1. If manufacturers are going to mandate us buy new hardware chances are we won't see a console with the tech until next gen, so that's 4+ years away. I'll probably be buying a new TV by then anyway.

ACH1LL3US

The high latency got fixed on the 2016 stuff though right? It was like 60+ but it supposed to be improved now, but I cant find out what it has changed too.

I had to look up ABL, which is apparently, Automatic Brightness Limiter which my Panasonic plasma might already have, so it probably isnt an issue.

Latency is an issue though, I will want to use HDR for sure, so if the latency isnt fixed in the E6 then I will probably have to go with the E7 :(

The 2016 sets have 34ms of input lag on the middle bar according to my Leo Bodnar, bottom bar was 39ms.

For me I can feel lag when the middle bar exceeds 25ms. So for me the c6 and e6 was just way too much lag for me personally, it might not be an issue for others. The 2017 oled's have 21ms ( I assume middle bar) so that will be perfectly fine for me.

As for ABL, it is indeed very noticeable to me on oled's, especially in gaming. Having no abl on the 2017 sets is a real blessing imho. Those using it as a PC monitor will love the no abl as well as it rears its head a lot in PC use as well.

Eylos

Banned
Don't think I'm waiting around for HDMI 2.1. If manufacturers are going to mandate us buy new hardware chances are we won't see a console with the tech until next gen, so that's 4+ years away. I'll probably be buying a new TV by then anyway.

you believe in a 8 year generation?

thats quite a feat if this happen

holygeesus

Banned
As for ABL, it is indeed very noticeable to me on oled's, especially in gaming. Having no abl on the 2017 sets is a real blessing imho. Those using it as a PC monitor will love the no abl as well as it rears its head a lot in PC use as well.

You are still going to get ABL with the 2017 sets. I don't think I've ever noticed it when gaming on my B6, but YMMV obviously.

QLED_zpst58o6z1d.png
Do we even know if that is indeed a black screen? Also, the picture was taken at a very narrow angle, come on. Not even my KS has such a bad black level.

BumRush

New consoles will probably come out in 2019/2020, I'd think. The Pro alone will be 3 or 4 years old by then.

datamage

You are still going to get ABL with the 2017 sets. I don't think I've ever noticed it when gaming on my B6, but YMMV obviously.

I'll have to second this, I would always notice the ABL on my plasma, even though it was slight. I have yet to notice it on my C6.

For those interested, rtings has updated their review of the B6 with new input lag testing of the HDR game mode update.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6

1080p @ 60Hz : 27.6 ms
1080p With Interpolation : 53.3 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 54.3 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 62.9 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 27.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 70.9 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 28.5 ms

Input lag no longer cycles as well.

For those interested, rtings has updated their review of the B6 with new input lag testing of the HDR game mode update.

Wow, even a bit lower than the C/E. Nice!

That's a little bit better isn't it
holygeesus! You can stop taking it personally now lol.

ACH1LL3US

Fantastic news!! Tempts me to go get one, 27ms is so close to where I prefer the lag to be, thanks LG!

I hope those with the b6 enjoy this lower lag, should be a world difference then before for those sensitive to it!

Pity the update wasn't a few days earlier as there was a decent deal for the B6 in the UK and I held fire. I'm still a little wary of image retention on OLEDs though, my last plasma was a real pain for it.

Kyoufu

Pity the update wasn't a few days earlier as there was a decent deal for the B6 in the UK and I held fire. I'm still a little wary of image retention on OLEDs though, my last plasma was a real pain for it.

You don't need to worry about it. LG's OLEDs handle it way better than any plasma TV ever could.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Sony deal with it on their set.

Do we even know if that is indeed a black screen? Also, the picture was taken at a very narrow angle, come on. Not even my KS has such a bad black level.

I agree that we don't know, but it sure looks like a black screen with Samsung logo. However also consider the following, I'm not the one claiming great off-view improvement, Samsung is and also these panels are probably selected by Samsung as the best show off panels for CES which has me concerned about regular panel lottery.

All I'm saying is that these TV's look great but they still appear to be edge-lit LCD on steroids. Which is great if you're watching in a well-lit room and those are your needs. But I think it appear more and more like OLED will be the future if they can solve the brightness issues with HDR.

The fact that Samsung is the only big manufacturer that doesn't offer OLED and have replied with similar marketing name QLED tells me that they are also aware of this. I mean the actual QLED tech was suppose to be the next step not these LCDs.

Wow. I think I want a B6 now.

I agree that we don't know, but it sure looks like a black screen with Samsung logo. However also consider the following, I'm not the one claiming great off-view improvement, Samsung is and also these panels are probably selected by Samsung as the best show off panels for CES which has me concerned about regular panel lottery.

All I'm saying is that these TV's look great but they still appear to be edge-lit LCD on steroids. Which is great if you're watching in a well-lit room and those are your needs. But I think it appear more and more like OLED will be the future if they can solve the brightness issues with HDR.

The fact that Samsung is the only big manufacturer that doesn't offer OLED and have replied with similar marketing name QLED tells me that they are also aware of this. I mean the actual QLED tech was suppose to be the next step not these LCDs.
Yeah that is indeed misleading, their TVs are NOT QLEDs... it's jus their name for their own tech. What a bummer.

Did the HDR game mode updates for the other TVs come to Europe already? Germany too? I don't wanna get a B6 and then somehow my model never gets it.

Top Bottom