• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

ACH1LL3US

Downloading the new B6 firmware 4.31.10 and then I will test pc and game modes with my Leo Bodnar and report back. 4.30.77 firmware had middle bar at 27.8ms and pc mode was around 52ms, so lets see if they improved anything.

I will come back a little later to day and let everyone know :)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Any recommendations on calibration guides? I've got a Samsung LED TV with more sliders and options than I know what to do with.

Any recommendations on calibration guides? I've got a Samsung LED TV with more sliders and options than I know what to do with.

If it's the KS8000 there's a thread dedicated to settings.

Downloading the new B6 firmware 4.31.10 and then I will test pc and game modes with my Leo Bodnar and report back. 4.30.77 firmware had middle bar at 27.8ms and pc mode was around 52ms, so lets see if they improved anything.

Please keep us posted.

Paragon

ITT, people pretending to be shocked that this years TV models has a launch MSRP that is significantly higher than the current price of last years model.
LG's OLED prices have dropped significantly though, which is unusual for the TV market.
The 55C6 launched at $4000, so the 55C7 is starting at $500 less.
The prices for the C6 have been around $2000 for so long now, that I think everyone forgot it started at such a high price.

I'm more surprised that Sony's OLED is only going to cost $500 more than the 55C7.
However I would expect the LG OLED prices to drop over the course of the year, just as the 6-series did, while Sony's is likely to stay very close to that $4000 price point.

I wish one of these makers would make a highend tv line 32" and lower, I would love that. I just don't have the room for these huge TVs.

So would those of us who make games. No HDR monitors in the PC space yet, huge pain in the ass having 55" sets on people's desks.

anyone know if there is a way to disable the live TV function on an LG OLED? I have a c6 in my bedroom with no inputs connected, every time I turn it on it defaults to live tv and the loud static that comes out of the speakers from no signal is annoying as hell

EDIT - ok so I hooked up my laptop to an hdmi port so that the port got marker as active. now it defaults to that port every time. success!

Kyoufu

anyone know if there is a way to disable the live TV function on an LG OLED? I have a c6 in my bedroom with no inputs connected, every time I turn it on it defaults to live tv and the loud static that comes out of the speakers from no signal is annoying as hell

Hold the input button on your remote, then select something else, like one of the HDMI inputs.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is it just me, or is there macro-blocking above the pitcher's left shoulder? Looks like the new OLEDs might not have quite solved that issue as much as I'd like.
OLEDs don't really have anything like that issue. I haven't ever been able to see macro blocking on mine, unless the footage played on it isn't compressed in low quality, thus having macro blocking to begin with. The poster of that photo already said the baseball game played was very low quality compressed footage.

holygeesus

Banned
OLEDs don't really have anything like that issue. I haven't ever been able to see macro blocking on mine, unless the footage played on it isn't compressed in low quality, thus having macro blocking to begin with. The poster of that photo already said the baseball game played was very low quality compressed footage.

They do have issue with near black, as I too have one. You are right though, poorly compressed footage shows it at it's worst. You would have thought a Sony demo would have ensured they were feeding it a pristine source though.

NYR

Agreed. No one in here thought Sony would undercut LG pricing, given history and the fact that they are purchasing the panels from LG
Eh, there were a lot of people saying just this, running their mouth about LG Displays vs LG Electronics and how they would be sold for the same price or lower. So dumb.

The only B6 I have had the luxury of seeing was really cloudy like it had a issue with burn in. It was a Best Buy store display. I'm not sure if a Sony 930e, Samsung Q7 or a LG B6 would be my best gaming option. I do wish the B6 was brighter. I like a bright image.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The only B6 I have had the luxury of seeing was really cloudy like it had a issue with burn in. It was a Best Buy store display. I'm not sure if a Sony 930e, Samsung Q7 or a LG B6 would be my best gaming option. I do wish the B6 was brighter. I like a bright image.
You might have an issue with brightness if you like playing in the middle of the day. It won't be very bright then. In a darker room / during the evening/nights, I find the brightness to be on the scorching level. Definitely much more than the plasma I used to have before, for example.

Weevilone

I would seek out another display because they are certainly not cloudy. They are also plenty bright unless you intend to watch in full sun. I have mine set at 41 OLED light, in low ambient lighting (not pitch dark). It can easily make my eyes uncomfortable.

IDK if this is the thread for questions like this but what would you guys recommend for a cheap 4k or 1080p 50-60inch set. For my mom.

Ocho

Kinda waiting on the review for the QLED Samsung TVs. Price for a new 55 inch isn't that bad compared to an OLED.

b0bbyJ03

If you set resolution to 2160p RGB you get YUV422 if you set it to 2160p YUV420 you get that in HDR.

I actually had it set to automatic, which does set it to RGB so I was getting YUV422 but from what I understand after doing some research HDR10 actually uses YUV420 as a standard. Is this what you're using?

Are people expecting Sony A1 to be worth the price tag? I know reviews are still in the work but from what was shown earlier this year are there any positive or negative assumptions about the upcoming lineups?

I'm really hoping to find a 55" 4k OLED tv for my PS4 pro and possibly Scorpio.

MrJames

Just watched Fury Road in 3D on my E6, incredible. You need to WITNESS this.

I watched Doctor Strange Blu-ray 3D last night on my 65E6. It was really well done. Great depth on a lot of scenes especially when traveling through the astral planes. So sad to see support removed for 2017 when they already nailed the delivery.

holygeesus

Banned
I actually had it set to automatic, which does set it to RGB so I was getting YUV422 but from what I understand after doing some research HDR10 actually uses YUV420 as a standard. Is this what you're using?

No I use 2160p RGB rather than Auto. The best explanation as to why, I have read is this

2160p RGB is ALWAYS better than 2160p YUV420, unless your TV/monitor has compatibility issues.

RGB and YUV420 here are compression modes. RGB is uncompressed, while YUV420 compresses video data to 1/2 of their original size.

YUV420 is there because some old 4K TVs support only HDMI 2.0 metadata, but not HDMI 2.0 bandwidth of 18Gbps. However, fully uncompressed 2160p 8-bit (SDR) RGB video requires 17.82Gbps (at 60fps, same below), which exceeds the limit of those old TVs. On the other hand, 2160p 8-bit (SDR) YUV420 video requires only 8.91Gbps, and will work without any problem. In such cases, players are not able to choose 2160p RGB at all, due to bandwidth limits.

For new 4K TVs that support HDMI 2.0 bandwidth of 18Gbps, it is obviously that they are capable for both 2160p 8-bit (SDR) RGB (17.82Gbps) and 2160p 8-bit (SDR) YUV420 (8.91Gbps). To get better video quality, we have no reason to choose YUV420 over RGB.

For HDR videos, it’s a bit tricky. Theoretically, uncompressed 2160p 10-bit (HDR) video requires 22.28Gbps and therefore exceeds the limit of HDMI 2.0, so it won’t work at all. On the other hand, 1/2 compressed 2160p 10-bit (HDR) YUV420 video requires only 11.14Gbps, and will obviously work without any problem.

I guess many people made a mistake here. At first, I too thought that I could get 10-bit (HDR) video only with output mode set to 2160p YUV420 because 2160p HDR RGB exceeds the bandwidth limit. However, when you play HDR contents with output mode set to 2160p RGB, PS4 Pro actually outputs in 2160p 12-bit (HDR) YUV422 (17.82Gbps). So, what is this mode?

As we mentioned before. RGB is uncompressed, while YUV420 is 1/2 compressed. Similarly, YUV422 is 2/3 compressed. It provides better video quality than YUV420 but not so good as RGB. The HDR mode used in PS4 is 10-bit HDR. However, there is no video mode in HDMI 2.0 standard for 10-bit YUV422, so 12-bit YUV422 video mode is used instead, where 2 bits are padded with zero.

In sum, 2160p 12-bit (HDR) YUV422 is the best video quality Sony could provide given this and that limits of HDMI 2.0, and you could only get it when PS4’s video output is set to 2160p RGB. If you choose 2160p YUV420, compared to 2160p RGB, you will get only 1/2 video data for SDR contents, and only 3/4 video data for HDR contents, respectively.

http://community.eu.playstation.com...0p-yuv420/td-p/24681433/page/2#thread-replies

Are people expecting Sony A1 to be worth the price tag? I know reviews are still in the work but from what was shown earlier this year are there any positive or negative assumptions about the upcoming lineups?

I'm really hoping to find a 55" 4k OLED tv for my PS4 pro and possibly Scorpio.

A1E is the first consumer OLED from Sony so your guess is as good as mine how good it will be. All we can do is wait and see.

BumRush

Eh, there were a lot of people saying just this, running their mouth about LG Displays vs LG Electronics and how they would be sold for the same price or lower. So dumb.

You and Kyoufu are right...a lot of folks were saying that lol

Dave_6

So, what is the correct way to have the black level (TV) and the PS4/Pro RGB set? With my B6 I have the black level on low and the Pro on limited. Someone on AVS is saying the opposite is true.

Kyoufu

So, what is the correct way to have the black level (TV) and the PS4/Pro RGB set? With my B6 I have the black level on low and the Pro on limited. Someone on AVS is saying the opposite is true.

I prefer using High and Full. I'm not sure why I'd want anything to be "limited".

ACH1LL3US

Did the new B6 update improve the input lag at all?

Is the HDR game mode screen tearing gone completely?

If it's the KS8000 there's a thread dedicated to settings.

Please keep us posted.

So I updated to 4.31.10 for the B6 and tested with the Leo Bodnar.

Game mode with hdmi deep color off = 27.5ms
PCMode with game mode = 66.3ms
Game mode with hdmi deep color on = 27.5ms

So some things to take away, hdmi deep color on in game mode is now 4:2:2 and there is no extra lag then it being off, with hdmi deep color off you get 4:2:0.

Playing in pc mode is just not worth it imho, but game mode is perfectly fine :)

I wonder if when the c7 comes out we could change out the pcb's on the b6 with those? LG is using the same panels as last years so maybe it is possible, I may try that.

KevinG

So some things to take away, hdmi deep color on in game mode is now 4:2:2 and there is no extra lag then it being off, with hdmi deep color off you get 4:2:0.

Playing in pc mode is just not worth it imho, but game mode is perfectly fine :)

I wonder if when the c7 comes out we could change out the pcb's on the b6 with those? LG is using the same panels as last years so maybe it is possible, I may try that.

Thank you! That input lag is fine with me.

Game mode with deep color (HDR?) the best way to play games on this thing?

Mine will be here Wednesday.

ACH1LL3US

Thank you! That input lag is fine with me.

Game mode with deep color (HDR?) the best way to play games on this thing?

Mine will be here Wednesday.

Hdmi deep color enables 4:2:2 chroma in game mode, it also enables 4:4:4 in pc mode and it also gives you the ability to use HDR.

Your best off using hdmi deep color on for everything.

NYR

http://www.avsforum.com/2017-lg-oled-tv-improvements/

Wow. LG listening same processor across the board. Weird tint in 2016 fixed. More accurate mapping. Better HDR. Let's get the input lag to 1 frame for 2018 guys! Also lets get sample and hold out in 2018 models
Surprised by this bit:

"Both model years support HDR10 and Dolby Vision, while the 2017 models will add HLG and Technicolor HDR in a firmware update."

I'm surprised even the 2017s are getting additional HDR options via firmware and not out of the box.

J-Rzez

A few pictures.
It wasn't an ideal setting to view the TV and they were just playing a compressed baseball game, but it was still neat to see. It looked like you'd expect an OLED to look.
They had the Sony UHD player hooked up but weren't using it...

I did check out the Sony ZD9 for the first time though. Wow, it does look fantastic.

How was the motion? That's the thing I'm more interested in, and the only flaw in LGs oleds.

Thank you, that's very useful information to have. Now, in order to achieve the 27.5ms, did you have both the input and picture mode set to Game, or just the input? I hate not being able to properly calibrate color/white balance under Game picture mode.

ACH1LL3US

Thank you, that's very useful information to have. Now, in order to achieve the 27.5ms, did you have both the input and picture mode set to Game, or just the input? I hate not being able to properly calibrate color/white balance under Game picture mode.

Choose game picture mode, making the input icon game does nothing.

TheBoss1

Sony BRAVIA KD-65XE9005 HDR 4K TV Review

As always we measured the input lag on the XE90 with our Leo Bodnar tester, although have also added an HD Fury to inject HDR metadata to test for HDR gaming as well. The good news is that the XE9005 has a game mode that can be used for both SDR and HDR gaming and it delivered an excellent input lag of 32ms, regardless of whether local dimming was on or off. This should be low enough for all but the most fanatical gamers. We certainly found gaming on the 65XE90 to be an enjoyable experience, with images that were detailed and dynamic, along with Sony's usual excellent motion handling.

In terms of the actual performance of the XE90 let's start with its black levels and contrast ratios. The Sony uses a VA panel, so the native black level was very impressive for an LCD TV at 0.03nits on a 0IRE window, although that dropped to 0.000nits when the local dimming was engaged, even in the Low mode. Using our target nighttime viewing brightness of 120nits, that resulted in an on/off contrast ratio of 4,000:1 and an ANSI contrast ratio of 3,496:1. These numbers are actually very impressive for a mid-range model and thanks to the direct LED backlight the 65XE90 could also produce a very bright image as well, with a peak brightness of 936nits on a 10% window.

Honestly, those LG OLED 2017 prices imo aren't too bad. Still loving the B6. Everyone who sees it, wants to immediately buy one and say it makes their TV's look outdated and some of them even have decent to high end 4K TV's. Having a hard time imagining that the 2017 LG OLED models are even better. Even the Sony OLED is not quite as high as I expected. I was going to wait for the Sony OLED, but decided to try out the LG, especially since I figured that the Sony would be significantly more expensive for presumably similar picture quality. Aren't some of the Sony 2017 LED's approaching $4000 depending on the size and models? To me, it is silly pricing any LED's close to the OLED prices even if they are larger.

Samsung LE...er....QLED $3,497.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUG1ZAG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

LG OLED $2,996.99
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01MZF7WCT/refehomethea-20

That goes back to what I was saying earlier. The Sony OLED aren't as high as I expected.

If you go to LG's official website, you can see that it lists features for the B7 that are only available on other 7-series TVs, like Active HDR and WebOS 3.5. So that at least is different from the B6.

I don't really understand the "redundant" argument. It has less premium styling than the higher end models. That is the main difference between all of the 7-series models. It's no more redundant than the C7 is.

I see. Yeah I'm not sure about the entire situation, just repeating stuff I've read.

Also it's not really an argument, at least not from me. Just trying to understand the differences between the different sets. For the 6 series it seemed like each step was something different even aside from styling. From a standard model, to a curved, to a set with an included soundbar and then a flagship. So I could understand if they did something different with the B (or C) this time. That could just be more premium styling of course though.

Finally got the Monoprice HDMI cables and they seem to be working good. It almost seems like the picture is slightly brighter or something. Out of curiosity, I tried out Bound By Flame and to me it looked almost like 4K quality. Almost seemed like the image quality actually improved with these cables. Hmmmm......

Thanks for the heads up. I updated the firmware to 4.31.10 on mine and can also confirm the tearing is gone. Yay!

Depending on your TV's measured black levels, some bias lighting might be preferable than a pitch black room because your black levels aren't dark enough. For example, a TV with an IPS panel like Weevilone said. They're known for black levels measuring close to 0.1, and the worst of them are known to have grayish blacks even with the best calibration. By adding some ambient light in an otherwise pitch black room, it'll reduce the perceivable black level of an IPS TV.

I'm still rocking a Panasonic ST50 so I'm assuming it's pretty damn black.

Man those shots of the Sony OLED has me hot and bothered but I'm not gonna let go of the ST50 until it breaks (Got it for $425 a few years ago)

tokkun

Honestly, those LG OLED 2017 prices imo aren't too bad. Still loving the B6. Everyone who sees it, wants to immediately buy one and say it makes their TV's look outdated and some of them even have decent to high end 4K TV's. Having a hard time imagining that the 2017 LG OLED models are even better. Even the Sony OLED is not quite as high as I expected. I was going to wait for the Sony OLED, but decided to try out the LG, especially since I figured that the Sony would be significantly more expensive for presumably similar picture quality. Aren't some of the Sony 2017 LED's approaching $4000 depending on the size and models? To me, it is silly pricing any LED's close to the OLED prices even if they are larger.

LG OLED $2,996.99

That goes back to what I was saying earlier. The Sony OLED aren't as high as I expected.

There is a less expensive QLED model. You are also comparing third-party prices vs MSRP. The Q7's MSRP is $2500 vs $3500 for the C7. I don't really see any reason to expect things to play out differently this year compared to last year, where the most cost-effective LCD sets were much cheaper than the most cost-effective OLED sets.

LG OLED $2,996.99

I'd be much more comfortable spending ~$2k on a TV than ~$3k. :\

I was thinking about getting one of the LG OLEDs this year, probably 55". Is there any source of information comparing what I'm getting by getting the newer model vs the older model? If I'm wanting it exclusively for games and movies I figured waiting another year would be better.

nickcv

hey guys I'm a complete noob in this field and I'd like some help.

Me and my bf are finally getting our own place and we wanted to get a nice video audio setup. We never had a proper audio setup and we know that what we picked is probably not that good for real enthusiast but we'd like to have some opinions from you guys.

First of all we were considering this audio system:
YHT-2930

It is fairly cheap and looks like it has everything we need, I'd just like to understand whether or not the audio / video connections with the tv are any good or if I'm buying something that is supporting a completely dead standard.
We are planning to connect our switch and PS4 Pro to this.

Also what should I use to pass the cables of the two speakers that I'm going to put behind the couch? Should I protect them in what way?

Now for the TV we were considering these two:
LG 55UH668V

UE55KU6400UXZT <- samsung

or maybe and I really mean maybe (way more expensive) this one:
LG 55UH770V

For the tvs we only care that they are nice smart tvs (netflix) and without horrible input lag (we are going to play all day long on it)

edit:

it seems like it is hard to find details about the audio system from yamaha outside of italian websites.

http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/au...ems/home-theater-package/yht-2930/?mode=model

I hope google translate can be any help v.v

Top Bottom