• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

b0bbyJ03

I'm still rocking a Panasonic ST50 so I'm assuming it's pretty damn black.

Man those shots of the Sony OLED has me hot and bothered but I'm not gonna let go of the ST50 until it breaks (Got it for $425 a few years ago)

you can't really go wrong with that TV. I had one before I purchased the B6 and it was one of the best purchases I had ever made.

nickcv

quoting myself because it ended at the bottom of the page v.v sorry guys

hey guys I'm a complete noob in this field and I'd like some help.

Me and my bf are finally getting our own place and we wanted to get a nice video audio setup. We never had a proper audio setup and we know that what we picked is probably not that good for real enthusiast but we'd like to have some opinions from you guys.

First of all we were considering this audio system:
YHT-2930

It is fairly cheap and looks like it has everything we need, I'd just like to understand whether or not the audio / video connections with the tv are any good or if I'm buying something that is supporting a completely dead standard.
We are planning to connect our switch and PS4 Pro to this.

Also what should I use to pass the cables of the two speakers that I'm going to put behind the couch? Should I protect them in what way?

Now for the TV we were considering these two:
LG 55UH668V

UE55KU6400UXZT <- samsung

or maybe and I really mean maybe (way more expensive) this one:
LG 55UH770V

For the tvs we only care that they are nice smart tvs (netflix) and without horrible input lag (we are going to play all day long on it)

edit:

it seems like it is hard to find details about the audio system from yamaha outside of italian websites.

http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/au...ems/home-theater-package/yht-2930/?mode=model

I hope google translate can be any help v.v

luffeN

Is the 4k benefit lost if you sit too far away from the TV? I sit about 240 cm / 7.8 feet away from where the TV would be. The 55 inch LG E6 is cheaper compared to the 65 inch version, but would I sit too far away for the 55 watching a 4K blu-ray?

KevinG

Is the 4k benefit lost if you sit too far away from the TV? I sit about 240 cm / 7.8 feet away from where the TV would be. The 55 inch LG E6 is cheaper compared to the 65 inch version, but would I sit too far away for the 55 watching a 4K blu-ray?

8 feet it around the maximum to tell a difference.

resolutions-worth-it-comparison.png

tokkun

In theory there is a fundamental physical limitation on the resolving power of lenses. However, it really comes down to your individual eyesight, which is why that chart is bogus.

Yukstin

I'm still rocking a Panasonic ST50 so I'm assuming it's pretty damn black.

Man those shots of the Sony OLED has me hot and bothered but I'm not gonna let go of the ST50 until it breaks (Got it for $425 a few years ago)

I had a similar series plasma and I thought the black level was really good, then I got a c6 and was blown away by how much better the black levels are on OLED.

KevinG

In theory there is a fundamental physical limitation on the resolving power of lenses. However, it really comes down to your individual eyesight, which is why that chart is bogus.

It's good to know the chart is bogus. Haha. I usually sit further back than I can afford TV size.

simtmb

Having a small issue with my C6 OLED, was wondering if anyone could help.

My current AV receiver can't pass-through HDR so at the moment, I decided to just have my devices connected via HDMI directly to the TV, and for audio, I'm running optical connected from my TV to my AV receiver. The problem i'm having is i seem to be getting only 2ch PCM audio? I've read 5.1 pass-through is all supported, however in the 2015 models, a service menu setting required to be changed?

Is there something similar in the 2016 sets, or am i just doing something else wrong entirely :(

No. But I think we should not expect much from them. I expect something in the very low-quality HDR range like last years samsungs KU6300 line.

Damn, was actually really looking forward to them as I need a tv for my bedroom. Don't really need 4k in there. Still might grab one.

vivftp

*sigh*

I REALLY want to pick up a TV this year, specifically the 65" Sony OLED, or MAYBE the Z9D successor if it's truly amazing. The only thing holding me back is the possibility of a brighter future with HDMI 2.1 sets next year. I know there's always something better right around the corner, but dangit this is sorta a big something.

I mean, if I buy the 65" OLED, it's likely going to cost me about $9,000 Canadian after taxes and all given the Euro prices. That's more than what I paid for the other 5 TVs in my house combined!

The TV would be exclusively used for PS4 Pro and my PC. I tell myself that maybe the PS4 Pro and my PC just won't be able to make use of all the features that'll come in next years TVs since they're not HDMI 2.1 compatible (unless I get a new video card I suppose), but still I feel like I'd be missing out on greatness next year.

I wouldn't mind dropping big bucks on another TV after PS5 drops. I also know I'll be immensely happy with the 65" OLED. I really want it this year since there are so many amazing games to play and I would LOVE to play Destiny 2 on that OLED beauty.

So GAF, tell me am I being silly in my worries?

Madness

A bit silly yes because it is inevitable and you acknowledge that something big is always around the corner. Last year around this time, we were just getting a taste of HDR1000 and Dolby Vision, and now it will be standard in every set. You cannot really predict what happens. Look at the new LG OLED wallpaper television.

I would say you can be confident picking up a Sony A1E, LG 2017 OLED and being happy with something that will still be great going into PS5 and Xbox 4th console launch. Life is short, you have the means to enjoy it now, why not. It is why I bought a KS8000 for the living room last year and an X800D for my bedroom. I have very limited HDR or 4K content, but I can still enjoy the few games that support it and the little content out now. In 2 years the televisions will easily be surpassed by what is out. But that is the nature of the tech industry. 10 years and yet every year something new has come that changes things. If you really don't want to be caught off guard with HDMI 2.1 being announced, changes to HDR1000/Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log Gamma HDR, buy an LG B6 or ZD9 as prices will drop or go on clearance this year and then save the thousands for when you find something really amazing has come or near PS5 launch.

I'm looking for recent discussion on gaming projector recommendations. I'm especially looking for low latency projectors with high lumens, such that they would do ok in a room that would be getting a fair amount of natural light.

My biggest problem with research so far is that so many places (including this thread) link to Consumer Top for their projector ratings. The site seems a bit suspicious - the article is listed as "Best Projectors for Gaming 2017", but looking at archive.org, the list was almost exactly the same in Jan 2, 2016. The only item that was changed is the #6 entry for a pico projector that is no longer available on Amazon, replaced with a similar pocket projector. To me, this has the look of a site looking to make referral money, rather than a reliable list of the best projector hardware today.

Are there reputable sites out there doing similar reviews for gaming projectors? Or any strong recommendations from folks here on good projectors?

ACH1LL3US

I'm looking for recent discussion on gaming projector recommendations. I'm especially looking for low latency projectors with high lumens, such that they would do ok in a room that would be getting a fair amount of natural light.

My biggest problem with research so far is that so many places (including this thread) link to Consumer Top for their projector ratings. The site seems a bit suspicious - the article is listed as "Best Projectors for Gaming 2017", but looking at archive.org, the list was almost exactly the same in Jan 2, 2016. The only item that was changed is the #6 entry for a pico projector that is no longer available on Amazon, replaced with a similar pocket projector. To me, this has the look of a site looking to make referral money, rather than a reliable list of the best projector hardware today.

Are there reputable sites out there doing similar reviews for gaming projectors? Or any strong recommendations from folks here on good projectors?

Sony HW45ES...

There is really no other choice, has low lag ( 23ms ) and creates an awesome picture for games!

wege12

Where is the best deal on a LG OLED 55" B6? Looking to pick k one of these up on clearance due to the 2017 models being released.

Malcolm9

I'm looking to pick up either an LG 55" B6 (£1699) or a Sony 55" XD9305 (£1109), has anyone got experience of either?

Is the B6 really worth the extra £600? I currently have a Sony 50" W805 and I still love the PQ on it, so I can see the XD93 being a decent step to make use of the 4K options for my PS4 Pro.

I do love my Sony tv's so I'm just thinking to go for an OLED model later when Sony have a few more out over the next couple of years.

Caayn

Now that reviews are out on the Philips 901F. It sounds like Philips managed to reduce the near black issues on the 2016 LG OLED panels. Shame that they couldn't reduce the input latency which hovers around 59ms.

OLED + Ambillight = A match made in heaven or hell depending on your preferences.

holygeesus

Banned
Now that reviews are out on the Philips 901F. It sounds like Philips managed to reduce the near black issues on the 2016 LG OLED panels. Shame that they couldn't reduce the input latency which hovers around 59ms.

That is really good news about these new sets eliminating near black issues, however, again, we have one issue preventing perfection - input latency. If the new LG and Sony sort this (as expected given LGs claims) then it's going to be a great year for the tech. Saying that, the cost might still prevent me from upgrading from my 2016 set.

Paragon

Sony HW45ES...
There is really no other choice, has low lag ( 23ms ) and creates an awesome picture for games!
I would never recommend that anyone buy a Sony SXRD display.
They have been plagued with problems ever since they were introduced - whether they were front or rear projection displays.
My old HW20 developed bad uniformity problems (pink/green splotches), the image started to wash out (gamma problems), it lost a lot of contrast, and the image focus would drift over time - all of this happened within the first year at ~3 hours a day average use.

Sony said that everything was in spec.
Even trying to do a full recalibration via the service menu didn't help.

Sony SXRD Degradation Thread - Affects All Current Sony SXRD 1080p/4K Panels

OLED + Ambillight = A match made in heaven or hell depending on your preferences.
It's definitely a feature that I'd pay extra for. I just don't think it's enough to get me to buy a Philips TV though.
I wish they'd license it out to other companies.

Caayn

It's definitely a feature that I'd pay extra for. I just don't think it's enough to get me to buy a Philips TV though.
I wish they'd license it out to other companies.
I had a TV with four-sided Ambilight. The Ambiligt was amazing and ahead of knock offs such as lightberry, a feature that I'll be happy to pay extra for. If the panel wasn't bad and the TV didn't crash randomly I'd have kept it longer.

For now I'll keep my eye on Philips TVs in the hope that they'll use good panels again and write proper firmware. With this OLED model it looks like they're moving in the right direction.

you can't really go wrong with that TV. I had one before I purchased the B6 and it was one of the best purchases I had ever made.

I just picked up a 60VT60 a few months ago for about $800 and am kind of regretting it because for a few more hundred I could've picked up a KS8000 but I know waiting for the "one" OLED will probably be worth it down the line.

http://www.ebuyusa.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=2876&ref=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

Best non-eBay price you're currently going to get. Still under $1500.

Abes had it for a similar price a day ago I think. I wouldn't be from either but you can use them to PM. I would wait til eBuy or somewhere similar drops back to ~$1,200 which is likely to happen soon(ish).

I even heard as early as this Saturday/Sunday. That was the rumor over on AVS. Likely has something to do with the C7/B7 arriving in stores around the 10th

Strange request here but does anyone know if it is possible to force the Nintendo switch to run in 720p in docked mode? I'm thinking of running the switch through my framemeister in order to get a better framerate but have the FM do the scaling.

Abes had it for a similar price a day ago I think. I wouldn't be from either but you can use them to PM. I would wait til eBuy or somewhere similar drops back to ~$1,200 which is likely to happen soon(ish).

I even heard as early as this Saturday/Sunday. That was the rumor over on AVS. Likely has something to do with the C7/B7 arriving in stores around the 10th

Speak of the devil...it's back. B6 on Adorama through ebay for $1399. Pick up now and Price Protect later!

yLEFTy

Speak of the devil...it's back. B6 on Adorama through ebay for $1399. Pick up now and Price Protect later!
Awesome price..I have a 60" panny plasma right now and am itching for an oled but I don't want to go smaller. I am hoping for the 65" at $2k but will probably be waiting for a while :(

KevinG

Now, is everyone using a "Price Protect" program doing so through a credit card? Or is this an eBay thing?

Adorama required paypal when I bought mine on Feb. 25th.

Damn... I'm so tempted to go ahead and get this. I want a 65" but Samsung is shit and a 65" OLED is just too much. Still may roll the dice on another KS8000, but this time would buy it from Best Buy for a quick return. Dammit, I'm going crazy trying to buy a TV haha

KevinG

Damn... I'm so tempted to go ahead and get this. I want a 65" but Samsung is shit and a 65" OLED is just too much. Still may roll the dice on another KS8000, but this time would buy it from Best Buy for a quick return. Dammit, I'm going crazy trying to buy a TV haha

B6.

Do it.

I'll be posting my impressions when mine arrives tomorrow.

Already have a USB drive packed with the newest firmware, and several of the demo quality videos suggested to me a week or so ago.

B6.

Do it.

I'll be posting my impressions when mine arrives tomorrow.

Already have a USB drive packed with the newest firmware, and several of the demo quality videos suggested to me a week or so ago.

My only concern is the size. Although I do have a 55" now and the size seems fine. Would just be nice to jump up to 65". If I were a couple of feet closer I'd have absolutely no concern, but I'm on the verge of saying fuck it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Now, is everyone using a "Price Protect" program doing so through a credit card? Or is this an eBay thing?

Adorama required paypal when I bought mine on Feb. 25th.

Credit cards. If yours offers price protection, you may be able to get some money back.

My only concern is the size. Although I do have a 55" now and the size seems fine. Would just be nice to jump up to 65". If I were a couple of feet closer I'd have absolutely no concern, but I'm on the verge of saying fuck it.

65" is better. And you can't go back.
How close are you anyway?

ss_lemonade

I was in a similar situation. Had a 55" w900a and wanted a 65" oled but I was just not in a position to pay for that much. I ended up getting a 65" ks9000 instead. Maybe next time for an oled

Madness

What happened with your KS8000? Mine is still working great but one corner does have the panel separation. I would say wait. Size is the biggest regret anyone has with televisions. It is already March, before you know it, this years models will start to have sales and last year models will be clearance etc.

KevinG

Choosing the 55" inch was easy for me, as I don't have room for anything bigger.

Can't mount a TV because of the steel studs my home is bullt on. Has to fit in a certain indented area of my living room wall.

65" is better. And you can't go back.
How close are you anyway?

I can slightly rearrange to be about 8'-9'.

What happened with your KS8000? Mine is still working great but one corner does have the panel separation. I would say wait. Size is the biggest regret anyone has with televisions. It is already March, before you know it, this years models will start to have sales and last year models will be clearance etc.

I had light bleed, guy who came to repair stood me up two days in a row. Third day he gets there around 7 pm and the bleed is atrocious now. Plus the guy was banging on the TV, making the whole screen flicker, while trying to reattach the back plastic. He never did attach it and there's a lot of panel separation on every corner. Now they're issuing a refund.

Then there are issues such as the Switch changing HDMI inputs, HDR settings not automatically being applied in game mode, inevitable clouding with an edge lit display, etc. Samsung just pissed me off and I don't really want to support that company. I have, however, considered taking the chance on a 65" KS8000, only buying it from Best Buy so I can exchange it if need be.

Size definitely is the biggest consideration (or one of them)...still though, the lowest the 65B6 has been after price protection is $1850 or so and the 55 can be had for around $1150 if eBuy or one of the others puts it down that low soon. A significant difference in both price and size.

Still, my CC only offers $250 protection and the lowest the 65B6 has been for BUYING (not PM'ing to a sketchy dealer) is around $2300ish if I'm correct. Meaning, my $250 wouldn't get me near that $1850 mark yet.

this guy says cheaper 4K LEDs comes pretty close to the LG 4K OLED

That was made a long time ago. At $1400, the 55" B6 is definitely a solid grab. Especially if you can price match to $1200 in the next month or two.

Size definitely is the biggest consideration (or one of them)...still though, the lowest the 65B6 has been after price protection is $1850 or so and the 55 can be had for around $1150 if eBuy or one of the others puts it down that low soon. A significant difference in both price and size.

Still, my CC only offers $250 protection and the lowest the 65B6 has been for BUYING (not PM'ing to a sketchy dealer) is around $2300ish if I'm correct. Meaning, my $250 wouldn't get me near that $1850 mark yet.

This is correct as to both sale price and sketchy site price. I honestly don't know if they'll get much lower. Prices are supposed to be slashed this Sunday or Monday, but I don't think they'll get lower than that. At some point inventory is going to dry up.

Top Bottom