• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale games and Mojang announce MINECRAFT: STORY MODE (stand-alone product)

Amir0x

Banned
So why even connect it to Minecraft? If they'll be diverging significantly from the MC universe as we currently know it?

Seems pointless. Why not just create a new IP instead of attempting to milk a fanbase that likely won't be interested in anything MC where you can't build with freedom.

when this game sells 3 million copies, are you going to be surprised?

What??? And it's also still on Playstation consoles??

Seriously, what did microsoft get out of buying mojang and minecraft? This would be a killer exclusive, and I can't quit ebelieve they're not forcing it to be one.

For all we know the collaboration was underway prior to the deal, and thus exempted. Couldn't see TellTale going along with it given how they seem to push their games on every platform/device outside of Nintendo (which is a shame).

Haunted

IF they can make an interesting story about digging a mile deep hole straight into a lava pool, I'm all for it.
A_Journey_to_the_Centre_of_the_Earth-1874.jpg
MV5BMTY3MTY3MzkzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTAwNDk2._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Man there is going to be lot of kids disappointed on Christmas Day when their mom buys them this when they asked for Minecraft for Christmas.

Hubble

The sort of sad thing to me is that Minecraft was SO ANTI-CANON. You made up your OWN story, it was YOUR world. And to suddenly have this product that's like "This is the OFFICIAL Minecraft story!" just seems to betray the core conceit of the game.

It's fine, it'll sell a million copies and my objection is 100% philosophical, but still.

Agree, I'll still prob buy it though.

It seems by TT that this won't be the case though but I'll believe it when I see it.

Haunted

The sort of sad thing to me is that Minecraft was SO ANTI-CANON. You made up your OWN story, it was YOUR world. And to suddenly have this product that's like "This is the OFFICIAL Minecraft story!" just seems to betray the core conceit of the game.

It's fine, it'll sell a million copies and my objection is 100% philosophical, but still.
No no, they share the same concerns you have.

"We've come to realize there's a massive demand for fiction set in the Minecraft Universe. People love engaging with the world, whether they're building, adventuring, or role-playing an awesome creeper slayer. The tricky part is working out how to explore a story without diluting Minecraft itself. A Telltale game set within the world is one way to delve deeper without laying down official lore. It's one interpretation of the world and its logic!"

So why even connect it to Minecraft? If they'll be diverging significantly from the MC universe as we currently know it?

Seems pointless. Why not just create a new IP instead of attempting to milk a fanbase that likely won't be interested in anything MC where you can't build with freedom.

Obviously, people want to make money. That's the entire point of the business. Have people give you money in exchange for entertainment. Good entertainment + insanely popular IP= shitloads of money. Everybody wins.

potam

Banned
So...how do Telltale games sell with the 9-13 year old crowd?

I'm pretty sure if someone were creating a bespoke video game based on my personal dislikes, they would have made this game.

Dunkley

I'm not only disappointed that it wasn't The Wolf Among Us Season 2.

But I'm also disappointed that it turned out to be MINECRAFT: STORY MODE instead.

My six year old might go gaga for this, depending on the threshold for entry. Alot of people writing that they are disappointed/are unhappy etc, I'm not sure this game is going to be aimed at you guys. My kid and all his friends go to school and talk about minecraft all day, come home, play the toys, build the lego, then play the game. He watches "stampycat" lets plays every night before bed, and loves the stories that guy tells as he plays. If Telltale can tap into that, provide a great experience for kids and make some money, I'm down with that.

So I think... could be good.

Then I read:

"The first episode will be released some time in 2015,"

abrasive opinion ahead:
I hate episodic releases. Fuck episodic releases.

When I am interested in buying a game, I don't feel like waiting for it to all be available. And by the time it is all available, my interest has already moved on.

JDizzv

Eh, my 5-6 year old siblings and cousins will love this. It'll give them access to a game they're already constantly watching on YouTube (which is mostly Minecraft machinima in the first place) but can't play since we don't (and I bet most households don't) really have a PC that they could play on. It'll give 'em a chance to play in the universe and then when they get a little older they can move on to the real, more complex and thought provoking thing.

I love this idea. No need to cause an uproar if it's not your cup of tea. Telltale is just filling an obvious demand tbh. Not everyone is creative enough to really enjoy the game but they still may enjoy the universe and the original game is still out there to enjoy in full. It's not like they dropped support for the original Minecraft and this is what Minecraft 2 will be. It's obvious at this point that the brand is bigger than just one game played by PC gamers/gamers. It's remarkably managed to bring together people from all walks of life (a large part of which, are children) and this is just the natural evolution of that.

I imagine some of the reactions seen on here are similar to if you would of took some of the original die-hard LEGO fans and explained to them how it would one day be made into a videogame. Yea it goes against the original idea of LEGO and "building your own world", but looking back on my 90s era childhood I never really played with LEGO blocks, Nintendo had me hooked..

But I have damn sure enjoyed some of the LEGO video games since then and now I probably could see myself buying LEGO for my own children someday. They're just trying to reach all demographics.

Expect a movie one day too.

So I think... could be good.

Then I read:

"The first episode will be released some time in 2015,"

abrasive opinion ahead:
I hate episodic releases. Fuck episodic releases.

When I am interested in buying a game, I don't feel like waiting for it to all be available. And by the time it is all available, my interest has already moved on.

That's just how Telltale works, man.

Bricky

Worst name ever.

"Story Mode" ?

That makes me think of a story mode expansion.
Not a completely new game that probably doesn't even use the Minecraft engine.

I think you should look at this the other way around. Some generic subtitle would create the expectation this is a piece of DLC for Minecraft for the more uninformed people out there. 'Story Mode' at least makes it clear this doesn't have anything to do with the usual Minecraft gameplay. Or at the very least that it is something completely new and not just add-on content.

What??? And it's also still on Playstation consoles??

Seriously, what did microsoft get out of buying mojang and minecraft? This would be a killer exclusive, and I can't quit ebelieve they're not forcing it to be one.
Minecraft and any spinoffs will never go exclusive, it makes too much money the way it is.

Sweet. It sounds like they're sucking all of the fun parts out of Minecraft. I can dig that. I mean, who doesn't want more story out of MC?

Maybe it can explain why the Creeper hates us. "No, you are ugly!" *Sad Creeper walks away*

Hahaha.

I'm just thinking up all the awesome things they might be able to do in this.

Some sort of crazy cave adventure where you travel deep underground full of perils like lava and shit.

Battle scene with an ender dragon.

Horror story where you're outside at night chased by an enderman and spiders and stuff.

Of course this is the primary reason behind this, I accept that. I still feel it's a stupid decision.

when this game sells 3 million copies, are you going to be surprised?

Honestly? I probably will be. I don't believe the current MC market is particularly interested in a narrative driven game set in the MC universe. That's missing the entire point of why MC is so appealing.

Obviously, people want to make money. That's the entire point of the business. Have people give you money in exchange for entertainment. Good entertainment + insanely popular IP= shitloads of money. Everybody wins.

The problem is good entertainment. By having it set in the MC universe, they are already severely limited in terms where they can take the narrative. Too divergent and it has nothing in common with MC, too close to the source and there's nothing to create a narrative from.

It's essentially IP milking and it's one that seems to have completely missed the point of why MC is such a beast in terms of popularity.

I look at this game much like I looked at the LEGO movie.

I thought that thing would be a piece of shit to just cash in on the LEGO name but it actually was full of self referential jokes and had a pretty good story as well as being enormously entertaining and fun.

No reason why using the Minecraft world as a template for a fun adventure can't also work.

Akiraptor

Minecraft fans (especially the younger ones) seem really excited about this. As an avid Minecraft player myself I can't wait for this to release. Day one.

Auctopus

Telltale Games won't stop until every game has become an emotional experience.

Coming next summer: Gran Turismo: Story Mode

The problem is good entertainment. By having it set in the MC universe, they are already severely limited in terms where they can take the narrative. Too divergent and it has nothing in common with MC, too close to the source and there's nothing to create a narrative from.

It's essentially IP milking and it's one that seems to have completely missed the point of why MC is such a beast in terms of popularity.

I see it the same way I see The Lego Movie; take the building aspects of it, and then just go crazy with it. I don't see the storytelling limitations you see.

Telltale is on a strike of making games based on franchises I care nothing about. This Minecraft game will make them so much money. I hope they put that to a new unlicensed product. C'mon Telltake!

This isn't Sam & Max Season 4.

This isn't Sam & Max Season 4 at all.

I used to love that company to death, but holy shit, just make games for yourselves again.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
This is the most ridiculous game annoucement I've ever seen.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Through this game, millions of kids will become fans of the point-and-click adventure genre. It's a brilliant move on Telltale's part.

"See Sam & Max here? It's like Minecraft Story Mode, but with a funny dog and rabbity thing who solve cases and get into trouble."

Top Bottom