• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale games and Mojang announce MINECRAFT: STORY MODE (stand-alone product)

I kind of liked how Minecraft didn't really have a story...

Also how the hell will this even work? You just talk to villagers? No crafting?

Also WHAAAT?

It's not completely new is it? It's most likely going to follow the same barebones as previous Telltale games. The gameplay, presentation of narrative, controls, choices, lots of reading and listening, etc.

Them writing a story for a game that has none is a new challenge for them, but that's WHY there is doubt. I'm sure some people don't want talking creepers and narrative between Minecraft characters. Why not? Well Minecraft wasn't created with any of that in mind.

Trying something new can be massively rewarding, but don't go telling people not to have doubts. I certainly do. I don't know anyone who asked Minecraft to be turned into a "point and click" adventure either. Would rather Telltale carried on with another license. However like always, prove the naysayers wrong Telltale. Then doubt can be eradicated.

Not really.

TWD Season 1 and 2, aside from "hey there's zombies" was entirely Telltale's creation. The characters, the settings and locations, and entire plot was their doing.

All they had to work with was "lots of people are dead and theres monsters".

I have no doubt they're capable of creating an original story.

Jinaar

-_-

Most on NeoGAF have first hand experience with how Telltale games work. They usually have fairly deep narrative. I'm talking about story before anyone says the choices are smoke and mirrors, which they are.

Explain to me how a game that has no narrative translates into a typical Telltale product? Minecraft has no real story, no extensive lore, etc. This project is going to rely fully on Telltale writing, they cannot borrow from any medium where a concept began - Books, comics, film.

Not saying it can't be done, but people have genuine concerns over this announcement, and why not? Not much different than any concerns about the quality of writing when say taking the Game of Thrones license. Tremendously written books and TV series, anxiety about a game potentially butchering them?

Leave it up to the companies to prove doubt wrong, not attacks on people for having doubt.

And I guess for saying its a shitty place to visit, you're here voluntarily, there's the door! Unless someones paying you to browse GAF, you need not waste your time if it's that shitty.

Have you seen the posts on this thread? We must be reading different threads. People are cruel here.

Audioboxer

Not really.

TWD Season 1 and 2, aside from "hey there's zombies" was entirely Telltale's creation. The characters, the settings and locations, and entire plot was their doing.

All they had to work with was "lots of people are dead and theres monsters".

I have no doubt they're capable of creating an original story.

Well you're factually slightly incorrect there, characters from the comics are in the games series.

TWD while having an original story and characters can be heavily influenced by things that happened in the books and comics. Themes of loss, cannibalism, the making of morally grey choices, etc are always brought up around zombie/end of the world shows/books.

What story based themes can be influenced from Minecraft? How do you tell a father/daughter relationship with polygons that don't even talk nor have lives? And so forth and so on.

Well you're factually slightly incorrect there, characters from the comics are in the games series.

TWD while having an original story and characters can be heavily influenced by things that happened in the books and comics.

What story based themes can be influenced from Minecraft? How do you tell a father/daughter relationship with polygons that don't even talk nor have lives? And so forth and so on.

The comic characters that show up in TWD have very small roles and none of them are in Season 2.

I'm assuming the characters in the Minecraft game are absolutely going to talk and have lives. It'll be a Telltale game simply done in the artstyle and world of Minecraft.

It's impossible to speculate on what the story would be but it could literally be anything, like a guy leaving his tiny village to go out and save the world from an evil Ender Dragon.

Sciz

Go read Boatmurdered. It's the archetypical example of how a gripping narrative can exist within the context of a video game that itself has none.

_woLf

I seriously think Telltale is one of the most overrated developers out there. Can't believe they are being trusted with so many high-level IPs at the same time.

This game takes away a huge part of the fun of Minecraft, which is making your own stories and such as you go...it'd be like making a movie based on Lincoln Logs.

Audioboxer

The comic characters that show up in TWD have very small roles and none of them are in Season 2.

I'm assuming the characters in the Minecraft game are absolutely going to talk and have lives. It'll be a Telltale game simply done in the artstyle and world of Minecraft.

It's impossible to speculate on what the story would be but it could literally be anything, like a guy leaving his tiny village to go out and save the world from an evil Ender Dragon.

Yeah they are, which is what causes doubt and worry. The creator of Minecraft never laid a foundation for such an expansion. Everything Telltale do now is going to fundamentally change how people view Steve or a creeper the second they give them a voice and personality. Of course some people just don't want that because they might like Minecraft not making them have to decide if they like a creepers personality because Minecraft doesn't normally deal with emotions on that scale.

Then others are just worried about what on earth is going to be done to give Minecraft and is characters a story...

You can't deny how this might seem like a cash-in. Take the most popular franchise ever and try to give it something the original creator had no intention to. TWDs universe was always suppose to have story, lives, and all the themes we see in the game used and expanded on.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Do you like the point and click adventure type games in the first place?

I'm pretty neutral on them personally so I can enjoy them if they are well made. I don't think too highly of their walking dead season 1 entry and that seems to be held up as one of their best. So I probably lean towards thinking their games are awful... but they get cool IPs to build off of so I keep an open mind.

Yea, I love point and click games. Tell tale games always seem janky as fuck and the art style...

"It'll be written and developed by the uber-brains at Telltale, but the Mojangstas and some community members will also have input. GOTY 2015? Possibly."

ajizltzrlt6knsldd3ya.gif

Come on man. There's "possibly" no way its getting GOTY.

Audioboxer

Go read Boatmurdered. It's the archetypical example of how a gripping narrative can exist within the context of a video game that itself has none.

Thanks, I will.

I don't doubt it can't, far from that. But Minecraft is one of the most popular franchises for what it is. A sandbox where every individual can make their own "stories".

Telltale are now taking that sandbox and making one story for all to consume. Some argue it might take a bit of the magic away from what Minecraft is.

LX_Theo

Banned
Neogaf is turning into such a shitty place to visit these days.

Company makes product. Lets throw shit at it. We haven't seen it. We haven't played it. But dammit, we have uninformed opinions that need posting!!!
Welcome to the Internet.

what if... and stick with me now... what if someone prefers the narrative driven strengths of a Telltale game to the bloated cheese of MGS or the high skill requirements of Dark Souls/Bloodborne type games?

Then you have much better options than a story about minecraft.

I'm not shitting on it, but you wanna say "GOTY 2015? Possibly" You're talking a big game, especially in a year like this, and if this blows up on your face, then you deserve all the shit you'd get.

But who knows, maybe its the greatest game of the year. But probably not.

Yeah they are, which is what causes doubt and worry. The creator of Minecraft never laid a foundation for such an expansion. Everything Telltale do now is going to fundamentally change how people view Steve or a creeper the second they give them a voice and personality. Of course some people just don't want that because they might like Minecraft not making them have to decide if they like a creepers personality because Minecraft doesn't normally deal with emotions on that scale.

Then others are just worried about what on earth is going to be done to give Minecraft and is characters a story...

You can't deny how this might seem like a cash-in. Take the most popular franchise ever and try to give it something the original creator had no intention to. TWDs universe was always suppose to have story, lives, and all the themes we see in the game used and expanded on.

I guess, I've just kind of created my own "stories" in the hundred hours I've played Minecraft and I think it'd be fascinating to see another "story" brought to life in that world.

I already used this reference but that was how I felt watching the LEGO Movie. LEGO was never meant to have story or characters talking yet that worked fine.

I just think we should be giving Telltale the benefit of the doubt here considering (with the exception of Jurassic Park) they've put out so many quality games over the last few years.

Audioboxer

I guess, I've just kind of created my own "stories" in the hundred hours I've played Minecraft and I think it'd be fascinating to see another "story" brought to life in that world.

I already used this reference but that was how I felt watching the LEGO Movie. LEGO was never meant to have story or characters talking yet that worked fine.

I just think we should be giving Telltale the benefit of the doubt here considering (with the exception of Jurassic Park) they've put out so many quality games over the last few years.

It's taking a game that has "no story" and making a story. Lego started as a physical toy, and was then adapted to other stories, some from comics, books, TV shows and sure a lot of originality as well.

Lego by nature doesn't have iconic characters either. What I mean by that is there is no Steve or Creeper, only blocks. Blocks are a bare foundation, a creeper isn't. In the game sense it has its purpose, to attack you and explode. A creeper isn't a piece of the jigsaw used to create something else, it's its own already complete jigsaw.

I'm not wording the argument above all that well, although I know what I'm trying to say. Telltale must know this project would draw extreme doubt and conversation, I'm sure that's what they'd like. If they pull it off then conquering the doubters will be sublime. Which is why they should try something like this. But with that comes risk, like all the best challenges.

for the record, one of my big issues with these games is that they are not much like great Point and Click Adventure games. These were filled with puzzles, meaningful dialogue choices and other activities. They could be quite difficult at times, depending on the puzzles.

Telltale Games are extremely simplistic, there's almost no puzzles in them at all and most of the dialogue choices are just basic illusions of choice (and most of the time, not even good illusions at that).

So I don't think liking point and click adventure games necessarily informs us if someone would like the Telltale Games

Yeah, I agree with you on this point. I remember playing king's quest back in the day and that is what I have to judge these types of games off of and I remember them being engaging and difficult in several ways.

And of course I agree with the last thing you said. It was more of a transitional question rather than some kind of statement/rhetoric.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Man, you guys really hate Minecraft :lol

Cool announcement.

I absolutely love Minecraft and spent the better part of five years playing it with friends and now playing it with my brother's sons. However, Telltale trying to wedge a story into a game so reliant on sandbox is just...not right.

I also don't particularly like the way Telltale is going about things right now, with their huge episode delays and horrendous bugs that they refuse to acknowledge.

Amir0x

Banned
Then you have much better options than a story about minecraft.

We have no idea what a story about Minecraft might be like; presumably, since there is nothing else like that concept in games, it might appeal to a whole new subset of individuals who might find it fresh and interesting for that very reason. They might skew younger, or it might resonate with adults too in the way LEGO MOVIE does.

It is your subjective opinion that there would be better options than this, as much as I can even call that an opinion at this point with how little we know about this game.

I'm not shitting on it, but you wanna say "GOTY 2015? Possibly" You're talking a big game, especially in a year like this, and if this blows up on your face, then you deserve all the shit you'd get.

First, it was a tongue-in-cheek joke, an over enthusiastic proclamation about their confidence in the product. It is not making a "claim", it is taking the piss.

Second, there is no bigger game in the ENTIRE INDUSTRY right now than Minecraft. This game announcement is massive by any standard.

Third, if this "blows up" in his face, that's more a statement of the hilarious immaturity inherent in this industry than anything he said. And no, he decidedly would not deserve any shit he would get.

But who knows, maybe its the greatest game of the year. But probably not.

There is no objective greatest game of the year. Here's a big secret: This game WILL be someone's Game of the Year. So, "probably yes" GOTY 2015 for certain people. Just not for you. And that's OK!

After viewing the playable announcement I'm much more forgiving of this idea. The writing in even that little clip got me at least to think about playing the first episode. Before that I thought it was the worst idea.

SugarDave

Children will probably love this. I imagine it's them trying to capitalise on how much a lot of them love to watch user created stories/series from the game on YouTube, but of course this will allow them to actually participate.

Interesting idea anyway. Not for me but hopefully it's good for the people who are interested.

bobawesome

I saw someone post this in the favorite spinoffs thread but I thought it was a joke.

This is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time but it's going to be massive for Telltale.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Telltale Games are extremely simplistic, there's almost no puzzles in them at all and most of the dialogue choices are just basic illusions of choice (and most of the time, not even good illusions at that).

I played The Wolf Among Us, I agree with you about the puzzles and some of the choices but I like how in that game different choices can show you different parts of the game you can miss if you chose differently.

And the story in the game is very good and I know nothing about Fables before the game.

We have no idea what a story about Minecraft might be like; presumably, since there is nothing else like that concept in games, it might appeal to a whole new subset of individuals who might find it fresh and interesting for that very reason. They might skew younger, or it might resonate with adults too in the way LEGO MOVIE does.

It is your subjective opinion that there would be better options than this, as much as I can even call that an opinion at this point with how little we know about this game.

First, it was a tongue-in-cheek joke, an over enthusiastic proclamation about their confidence in the product. It is not making a "claim", it is taking the piss.

Second, there is no bigger game in the ENTIRE INDUSTRY right now than Minecraft. This game announcement is massive by any standard.

Third, if this "blows up" in his face, that's more a statement of the hilarious immaturity inherent in this industry than anything he said. And no, he decidedly would not deserve any shit he would get.

There is no objective greatest game of the year. Here's a big secret: This game WILL be someone's Game of the Year. So, "probably yes" GOTY 2015 for certain people. Just not for you. And that's OK!

I'm extremely excited to see what this game will be.
I'm not that excited to play it.

I also think this is a brilliant move on TT/Mojang/MS' part.

TT is actually taking a risk and doing something very, very creative here. The steps they have been making, the properties they have been fooling around with.... they are, in my opinion, the most creative company in the industry at this point.

woolley

I don't really have any problem with this. While this is mostly just going to be a random story using the name and style of Minecraft I think that it could work out great. People have been creating their own stories and lore for Minecraft from the very beginning so I don't see why this would be much different. Hell you even have roll playing servers that just happen to use Minecraft as a foundation. It could be really good or really bad but I'm interested to see how they're going to do it.

flkraven

I just read about this. What in the actually fuck are they thinking? It would be cute if they made a telltale style game for kids, but they are not even using the Minecraft art style? This is Minecraft in name only then. This is complete dogshit.

Who

Banned
I think the negative sentiment in here is due in part to a fear that Microsoft will milk and ruin a franchise which is so humbly respected in the industry.

Top Bottom