• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's Batman Game - First details stream/discussion (starting soon)

I am majorly off topic but how was their GoT game? I bought it during a random sale and am thinking of playing before the new series starts.

OK. Wasn't a fan of the art style at all and some of the character arcs were really unsatisfying, but there is some good stuff in there as well.

Alexious

Posted a summary in the OP, let me know if I missed anything

-Episode 1 arriving this summer
-Takes place in its own universe (not tied to comics or movies)
-New gameplay mechanics and engine improvements (sounds minor but without specifics ifs hard to say - but they have heard all of the complaints and are working to address it)
-Large focus on Bruce Wayne, they want to explore what it's like to be him and how the choices you make as Bruce affect what you do as Batman
-You can choose to deal with certain situations as Bruce, or put on the suit and handle it as Batman
-Tales from Borderlands team is working on it
-Voice casting sounds close to done but not quite finalized

Sounds nice. The flame of hope still burns.

inm8num2

Telltale blog post

The team at Telltale hit the stage in Austin at the SXSW Gaming Expo today along with Kinda Funny’s Greg Miller, to come out of hiding and talk details about the upcoming series based on BATMAN for the very first time. While development has been moving along swiftly over the last year, production on in-game visuals for all of Telltale’s series always tends to come together closer to launch, as the writers and designers spend their time focusing very heavily on the story and script first and foremost.

KPvPj28.jpg

It’s still too soon to show any scenes from the game, but the team was happy to confirm that players can expect to see it closer to its upcoming premiere which is slated for THIS SUMMER! Additional details gathered from the panel were as follows:

• Batman is the perfect character for the studio to explore in a Telltale series, giving the team the opportunity to dive deeper into the mind of the man behind the mask. Each night, Bruce Wayne chooses to change Gotham for the better. The team wants to explore what the consequences are of the player’s actions when decisions made as Bruce have a critical impact on his nightly crusade as Batman, and vice versa. Certain key situations will give the player the decision to approach a scene as Bruce or Batman, with consequences for both sides.
  • Fresh interpretation of the universe set in current times, not tied to any existing iteration of Batman in games, film, or comics. Story will focus on Bruce and Batman, not an examination of the extended 'Bat-family,' (Robin, Nightwing, etc.) Fans can expect certain series staples such as Alfred Pennyworth, Vicki Vale, James Gordon, and Renee Montoya. Telltale is looking to keep the villains more tightly under wraps until closer to the premiere.
  • Certain characters will have a deeply personal relationship with Bruce in his private life, and decisions made as Bruce or Batman will affect their paths towards corruption or redemption.
  • The player's actions will help shape the Gotham that Bruce deals with during the day, as well as the criminals that Batman faces at night.
  • Team is committing to a non-photorealistic interpretation of the universe, enhancing engine and technology to deliver a more seamless living comic book art direction. Taking inspiration from the works of over 75 years of artists such as Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, and Neal Adams.
  • Like some other Telltale series, the game will be landing at M (Mature 17+) rating, and the cinematic approach will feel more akin to an R-rated film.

adj_noun

Certain characters will have a deeply personal relationship with Bruce in his private life, and decisions made as Bruce or Batman will affect their paths towards corruption or redemption.

Hey Selina.

-New gameplay mechanics and engine improvements (sounds minor but without specifics ifs hard to say - but they have heard all of the complaints and are working to address it)
-Large focus on Bruce Wayne, they want to explore what it's like to be him and how the choices you make as Bruce affect what you do as Batman
-You can choose to deal with certain situations as Bruce, or put on the suit and handle it as Batman

Day fucking 1

Scotia

Banned
Story will focus on Bruce and Batman, not an examination of the extended 'Bat-family,' (Robin, Nightwing etc.) Fans can expect certain series staples such as Alfred Pennyworth, Vicki Vale, James Gordon, and Renee Montoya.

This sucks hard. I'm assuming this means none of them are going to be in it much, if at all.

Walpurgis

Banned
all i need to know.
Yup. Tales of the Borderlands team working on this is beautiful news. I think this will be another hit for Telltale, less Michonne/GoT and more Wolf Among/Borderlands.

Thanks. This all sound great, especially the Bruce focus. It's an excellent opportunity to explore a new side of Batman that Rocksteady couldn't.
350 fucking people are working at Telltale

Wow. Imagine what they could do with an engine like Until Dawn's.

Kinyou

Okay, that sounds pretty damn awesome. Also hope that it's more than just PR talk and they actually fixed some off the engine stuff.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can I play as a murderous Batman who lowers crime by instilling fear in criminals because they know he'll gut them with a bat blade?

Being made by the TFTB team is great. I would buy this anyways (despite Telltale being hit or miss, I do love choice-based games) but that is just icing on the cake. Also I'm excited to see Renee Montoya since she seems to get the short-stick in outside comic media and hell the comics fucked her over with the New 52. Odds are she's a rookie cop, but it would be awesome if she was the Question.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, I guess this means we won't be getting a Tales From the Borderlands second season? Atleast not by the same team?

Hell, they have 350 people and we still haven't gotten a Wolf Among Us S02.

Corpekata

Banned
So, I guess this means we won't be getting a Tales From the Borderlands second season? Atleast not by the same team?

Could just mean later. Gearbox probably working their way to Borderlands 3 soon so they might want to wait until after that is released.

diamount

Banned

It's either Batman, Minecraft or Game of Thrones. Very popular properties, no doubt funded by their license holders and that is where the bread is.

SpotAnime

I'd rather be able to chose to play as Frank Miller's Dark Knight vs the traditional non-killing Batman. Would love to put some criminals down for good once and a while... ;)

I'd rather be able to chose to play as Frank Miller's Dark Knight vs the traditional non-killing Batman. Would love to put some criminals down for good once and a while... ;)

I imagine with these type of collaborations they have to work within whatever WB allows them to....but yeah, that'd be cool if they could have done something like that

Liking the sound of this.

When are Telltale going to reveal the platforms for this game? Trying to wrap up my PS3 collection.

Probably when they announce a release date...but I would imagine it'll be on the usual ones as they haven't indicated it won't be.

PC/Mac
PS4/PS4
X360/X1
Android/iOS
Vita????Maybe??

Thores

Man, I'm liking everything I'm hearing so far.

I'm guessing the primary villains of the game are going to revolve around the dual relationships that Bruce/Batman has with them in both of his identities and how they contrast. I can practically guarantee Two-Face and I bet we'll be seeing Catwoman as well. I could also see them using Hush.

Very excited for summer!

This summer? There goes any chance of WB Montreal's Suicide Squad game being showed at E3'16.

I'm not really much into the Telltale games. TBH, I picked up The Walking Dead when the first episode of it went free (even got the steam & PSN version of this first episode I reckon) and the remaining four were discounted at 50% for 200 MSP each, back on the X360 around 3 years ago, but never played it more than 10-15 mins into the first episode. It's still sleeping in my HDD (worth playing all the episodes now?)

Anyway, this is hard to miss since it's Bats. Dunno if I'll pick it up day one as most of you telltale fans but...

Team is committing to a non-photorealistic interpretation of the universe, enhancing engine and technology to deliver a more seamless living comic book art direction.

Taking inspiration from the works of over 75 years of artists such as Jim Lee

- Interest spike 1000%

Top Bottom