• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Temporary GAF Mafia Thread |OT| According to the Keikaku

Makai

Number of player slots for the game: 20
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Kristoffer, Blargonaut
Theme: Super Mario
Game type: 10, with some constraint.

Mario-meets-the-Godfather.jpg

Swamped

Banned
Number of player slots for the game: 20
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Kristoffer, Blargonaut
Theme: Super Mario
Game type: 10, with some constraint.

Mario-meets-the-Godfather.jpg

10? And Blargy-boy was consultant? Omg!

sign me up

To be fair, I wasn't very serious about anything until Season 3, and some of these guys have put more work into their games than I have. I'm fairly lazy and know my game won't take long to iron out once I know for sure if I'm running one.

This isn't supposed to be about the moderators though. They're just supposed to be facilitators and a framework for the players to use. It's good that we have a lot of volunteers, but we should be choosing based on the merits of the games, not the desires of the moderators. I worry that we're injecting too much ego.

Ohhhh good points. I think your voting system is better in that case.

Also, I'm all for starting recruitment sooner rather than later, but i don't mind if the games themselves start late.

Sorian

Banned
Wait you... you can make a login?! Also you didn't ignore me, is this a new policy? Guess I better get on dat.

You're not a mod (and I don't actually pay attention)

10? And Blargy-boy was consultant? Omg!

sign me up

Ohhhh good points. I think your voting system is better in that case.

Also, I'm all for starting recruitment sooner rather than later, but i don't mind if the games themselves start late.

The issue with starting recruitment too early is people sign up and then forget that they signed up if we take too long.

Ourobolus

Banned
so

crab mafia - I didn't die

AC mafia - died on day 6, game ended on day 11

election mafia - died on day 1, game ended on day 5

DR mafia - died on day 9, game ended on day 10

so 40 - (5+4+1) = 30
Crab and AC mafia wouldn't count, only the current season (3/3.5). So yeah, 20 - (4+1) = 15.

Ourobolus

Banned
So for this season, I think recruitment lasted...3 weeks? I think that is a decent amount of time, but I think current mods should help by PMing those that played this season and have kinda disappeared from the community to see if they are still interested.

Definitely should have a post outlining the basic, HIGH LEVEL rules. Almost like a synopsis of the game.
After that, I think a post showing the previous games. Detailed rules are in each of those, and players can read through the games to get a feel of the flow. Of course we are all on hand to give info as well.

GAF Mafia | Insane Despair in the Danger Zone

So for this season, I think recruitment lasted...3 weeks? I think that is a decent amount of time, but I think current mods should help by PMing those that played this season and have kinda disappeared from the community to see if they are still interested.

Definitely should have a post outlining the basic, HIGH LEVEL rules. Almost like a synopsis of the game.
After that, I think a post showing the previous games. Detailed rules are in each of those, and players can read through the games to get a feel of the flow. Of course we are all on hand to give info as well.

GAF Mafia | Insane Despair in the Danger Zone

I didn't realise S3 recruitment was a 3 weeks' span. I guess it's a decent amount of time, if a lil stretchy imo

The current recruitment thread's format is okay, isnt it? Or is it too much text and is the layout too info-heavy on the top?

Sorian

Banned
I didn't realise S3 recruitment was a 3 weeks' span. I guess it's a decent amount of time, if a lil stretchy imo

The current recruitment thread's format is okay, isnt it? Or is it too much text and is the layout too info-heavy on the top?

Current format is good. Remember, the second post he has in there right now will just be a reserved spot during most/all of recruitment.

i collected all the game applications on the second post of this thread. i count 5

i didn't miss anyone, right?

ohaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai there blargi~ WHERE IS YOUR SELECT YOUR OWN ADVENTURE SWEET PROMISES THAT YOU MADE MEEEEEEEE

>:O

I'm not playing next season

Boo :(

On recruiting: Going a little from above, we should probably scale back on recruiting by themes. I think it's nice to be able to have people be excited about them, but we should really make sure players are interested first and foremost in playing mafia. I think we might had a little bit of a problem with this when people were really interested in the DR game, and when they ended up in another one their enthusiasm plummeted.

Totally. Vylash was very clearly interested in DR, then he got put in Cthulhu and posted twice.

And didn't use his action on Night Two.

Darryl

Banned
I nominate Darryl for iguana mafia.

Well I decline your nomination. Hosting seems too stressful. Give me games to play pls

Here is what I don't want to play: a game with roles based on characters. All these flavor based antics are played out now

Darryl

Banned
I don't want a game copy and pasted from mafiascum either. I liked a lot of the mechanics in these past games, the neighbors in AC and missions in Archer.

Darryl

Banned
Im nominating because people seem to be taking more of a mod-first approach than a player-first one. there are more players than mods by far. For the greater good

this aint a democracy, creampuff

and blargi hasn't put a game in cuz he got too busy with looking really, really good looking in rl or something

Ourobolus

Banned
Well I decline your nomination. Hosting seems too stressful. Give me games to play pls

Here is what I don't want to play: a game with roles based on characters. All these flavor based antics are played out now

I don't want a game copy and pasted from mafiascum either. I liked a lot of the mechanics in these past games, the neighbors in AC and missions in Archer.
Yeah, while I enjoyed the character ones, I'm up for something different.

Though more Darryl in games...always up for that! :p

i just checked crab's last post to us and seems like he has templates ready for the season and sign up thread. so i think we should defer to the crabmeister for those. hope he can at least post the recruitment thread earlier than nov 5 though :3 cuz that's like forever away :x

i've been having intermittent connection problems as i am abroad

my keyboard is also not working properly

someone else may have to start the review thread where we can talk about structure for GAFia's future - e.g., how seasons and non-season games work, whether we allow people to choose between open/normal/bastard etc - ouro/launch/kark?

in general im unsure how easy posting will be until nov 5th for me, sorry about this. did not think i'd be quite so busy/remote

i have a template for the season thread + signups to pass on once the review is over, but i cant contribute much myself atm

Zatoth

I'm still in favor of simplification and as little bookkeeping as needed.

I second that. New players should have priority when it comes to joining games. (doubt we'll have a long waiting list anyway)

Just randomly assign players to the games. Don't allow anyone to join a specific theme. You have problem with that? Don't play! The theme should not be the only reason you play.

Sorian

Banned
i just checked crab's last post to us and seems like he has templates ready for the season and sign up thread. so i think we should defer to the crabmeister for those. hope he can at least post the recruitment thread earlier than nov 5 though :3 cuz that's like forever away :x

You'll guide us through the darkness!

squidyj

I second that. New players should have priority when it comes to joining games. (doubt we'll have a long waiting list anyway)

Just randomly assign players to the games. Don't allow anyone to join a specific theme. You have problem with that? Don't play! The theme should not be the only reason you play.

as long as the games themselves aren't WILDLY diveregent that should be fine.

roytheone

What's the gaf steam group name?

GAF Mafia (maybe we should add the steam and psn groups to the recruitment thread op?, could cut down some of the clutter of people asking for account names, people replying etc)

as long as the games themselves aren't WILDLY diveregent that should be fine.

Isn't that kinda the case if palmer and salva host? Palmer his game is pretty basic, but apparently salva his game is pure insanity.

Well, I do agree that people shouldn't sign up to ' themes ' but to mafia games. But I think having preferences for normal vs crazy games is ok.

Personally, I love mafia but I prefer normal games. I don't think I'd have a good experience in a bastard or role madness game. My head is not suited for that type of set up :<

Themes don't matter to me though. I knew nothing about Archer before S3... And I had fun.

You'll guide us through the darkness!

Through??? Did you mean INTO, maybe???

:3

GAF Mafia (maybe we should add the steam and psn groups to the recruitment thread op?, could cut down some of the clutter of people asking for account names, people replying etc)

Isn't that kinda the case if palmer and salva host? Palmer his game is pretty basic, but apparently salva his game is pure insanity.

Good idea. Should mention this to crab when he's about to set up the recruitment thread, royroy!

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Hot damn goddamn YNNNY you're in charge now

I'm so proud

Let's get it on

Phrasing or I swear I had something for this

• There were talks about players potentially being able to swap places or select games to participate in. What do you guys think? Would the logistics be too troublesome? What are the pros and cons?
  • Season 4 will run into the holiday season. We have never run GAFia through the xmas / ny period. Are there potential issues here? How to address it best?
  • Newbie honeymoon period. There were discussions about how to handle newer players in-game. Once the sign-up thread is up, I will try to put together some analysis on retention and return rate of players, but how the community treats newer players would have some effects on the community’s population stability. Any thoughts on this?
  • Inactive players. Did Season 3 approach towards inactive players work better than Season 2? There were some modkills in Season 3, which were firsts in GAFia history, I think.
  • High Activity / Low Activity play style. I see a number of the high-activity posters have already started to rein in their post counts, which is appreciated and noted :> But if there are further discussions on this point, please chime in!
  • Any other feedback / gripes / constructive criticism you wanna raise, PLEASE SPEAK UP! Anything that you particularly enjoy or were frustrated with, any issues, any memories, any ideas – WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THEM ALL. Okies? ^____^

1. I'd love to be able to swap places in case I don't get Sorted (ha!) into Harry Potter, which I would dearly love to play. However, I don't think we should be able to choose, because RNG assignment works for everyone and giving agency to those who actually want to play a certain game is best, as opposed to giving agency to everybody, which will be a logistical nightmare. (But although I would really like to play Harry Potter, I'm sure I'll also have fun with the other games, based on the descriptions. SalvaPot's description is so enticing, though!)

2. Holiday season might be complicated, but manageable for me. I have a smart cellular telephone! Likely a higher amount of activity than in Archer.

3. I think I was treated pretty well in Archer (<3 <3 <3), as well as in NX, where unfortunately I had to drop out. Still, that was handled in a very polite and friendly manner! Cabbeh is also renowned now, and I believe he was a newbie like me. It would be great to have a more chill main OT so that newbies feel comfortable, but they also have to show something to work with in their game thread.

4. Inactive players-- I think I touched upon this when talking about my dropping out of NX. It was handled very well, and I was replaced. Archer had a ridiculous amount of subs and Seath wasn't even replaced because we were totally out of a (Johnny) bench at the time. Plus, Seath's position was absurdly difficult to get out of given his role. I've no insight as to how inactives were handled during S2, but S3 from my persppective was handled well.

5. The insane post counts on NX played a huge role in my inability to play. If something like that is less likely to happen, that would be amazing! I'm definitely a low-activity but player (but... meaty? Phrasing?) I'm a grower, not a shower?

6. <3 YNNNY

cabot

That Cabbeh guy sounds like a legend.

I wonder what happened to him. Probably drank himself to death or something heroic like that.

TheG! <3 heeeeeeeeeeey you, pal of me heart, youuuuuuuuuuuuu~

^________^

aaaa thanks for chiming in! as i thought, some threads that were a little too high in their post counts can be harder to digest and participate in :x for reference, despite having reduced player base (16 instead of 23), nx has more page counts than archer or cthulhu

some people seem to have limited amount of time to play ... so having to go through more posts might be presenting a higher barrier of entry, but i think all of the highest activity players have taken the cues and I've definitely seen improvements on this front :>

for reference, here are the statistics to S3 games (sorted chronologically):

• Archer - 23 players - 87 pages (4 replacements took place, and 1 modkill)
  • Cthulhu - 23 players - 87 pages (5 replacements)
  • Danganronpa - 23 players - 104 pages (4 replacements, 1 modkill)

• NX - 16 players - 96 pages (2 replacements)
  • Election - 16 players - 65 pages (3 replacements)
  • Gafia - 16 players - 37 pages (no replacements)

the two vigi games ended very fast (salty spitoon at 7 pages and fight club at 11 pages) but i'm guessing thats cuz of their nature of multikills :>

what i'm noticing is that players' stamina do flag a little bit by the end of S3. so having this breather space is a good thing ^_______^

oh btw, im just reviewing things with my idle mind here and i wasn't playing in DR but i'm just suddenly remembering 'A Human Becoming'

launches, did he say why did he suddenly drop? his particular exit didn't seem like it was out of time constraints or rl stuff... i just wanted to know if there's any issues we can improve on, but if things are personal and not to be shared, just say so and i shall respekt o7

here's more statistics on the drop outs:

Archer:
cooljeanius - donno reason
GreatLordTiger - he fell ill
Razmos - donno
TheAwesomePossum - school / rl time constraint
Seath - rl time constraint (modkilled)

Cthulhu:
Afrocious - donno
Capitan - DOTA / rl time constraint
OceanicAir - donno
OrangeYouGlad - donno
Vylash - donno

DR:
A Human Becoming - donno
ANuclearError - donno
Barrylocke - donno
ViViOggi - rl time constraint
TL21xx - rl time constraint (modkilled)

NX:

TheGoddamn - rl time constraint and couldnt keep up (was simultaneously playing in Archer)
RetroMG - not sure (was simultaneously playing in Cthulhu)

Election:
Launches - some scum mishap
CzarTim - got sick
Never Forever - rl time constraint

*Splinter

TheG! <3 heeeeeeeeeeey you, pal of me heart, youuuuuuuuuuuuu~

^________^

aaaa thanks for chiming in! as i thought, some threads that were a little too high in their post counts can be harder to digest and participate in :x for reference, despite having reduced player base (16 instead of 23), nx has more page counts than archer or cthulhu

some people seem to have limited amount of time to play ... so having to go through more posts might be presenting a higher barrier of entry, but i think all of the highest activity players have taken the cues and I've definitely seen improvements on this front :>

for reference, here are the statistics to S3 games (sorted chronologically):

• Archer - 23 players - 87 pages (4 replacements took place, and 1 modkill)
  • Cthulhu - 23 players - 87 pages (5 replacements)
  • Danganronpa - 23 players - 104 pages (4 replacements, 1 modkill)

• NX - 16 players - 96 pages (2 replacements)
  • Election - 16 players - 65 pages (3 replacements)
  • Gafia - 16 players - 37 pages (no replacements)

the two vigi games ended very fast (salty spitoon at 7 pages and fight club at 11 pages) but i'm guessing thats cuz of their nature of multikills :>

what i'm noticing is that players' stamina do flag a little bit by the end of S3. so having this breather space is a good thing ^_______^
Well that seems conclusive. Higher post count = few replacements, Gafia being an anomaly. Keep up the good work Sorian.

RetroMG

My drop in NX was because I had too much going on. I was trying to run ONUW, play Cthulhu, do schoolwork, and spend time with my wife.

I thought I could juggle all of that, and quickly found out that I couldn't.

Also, Hi, I'm back. More later when I've woken up more, but for now I'm still planning to host Night Vale, and I also did a bunch of thinking on a Disneyland Mafia (I posted the idea a few months ago,) which I may submit as an alternate to Nightvale or as a future mid-season game.

Sorian

Banned
My drop in NX was because I had too much going on. I was trying to run ONUW, play Cthulhu, do schoolwork, and spend time with my wife.

I thought I could juggle all of that, and quickly found out that I couldn't.

Also, Hi, I'm back. More later when I've woken up more, but for now I'm still planning to host Night Vale, and I also did a bunch of thinking on a Disneyland Mafia (I posted the idea a few months ago,) which I may submit as an alternate to Nightvale or as a future mid-season game.

Please do Nightvale. I listened to the whole podcast up to date and I'm excited to play/spectate it. :D

----------

Just wanted to cross post because I'm doing a thing!

RetroMG

Please do Nightvale. I listened to the whole podcast up to date and I'm excited to play/spectate it. :D

Oh yeah, to clarify, I am planning to do Night Vale. When I said an Alternate, it was mostly as a back-up plan in case Crab (or whoever,) completely nixxes the Night Vale Mafia concept. I don't see it happening, but it's a good excuse to write down all the Disneyland Mafia stuff, because I might have Disney on the brain right now.

I'll probably hang on to Disneyland Mafia for another season or as a mid-season game.

Top Bottom