• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Temporary GAF Mafia Thread |OT| According to the Keikaku

Gorlak

Banned
My small contribution (I'm on a train, using my phone :( ):

Fuck waiting till November to move on. Create a Recruitment thread ASAP. We do have one example, do something similar. We need awesome recaps of our main games with the highlights i.e. el topo lynch, disappearing players, makai solo win, etc., make it interesting. Especially flavor will catch the attention of newbies and with hp we do have one big power horse, advertise them.

Does Priority even matter right now? Just go by rl date of last death and sort accordingly. This formula is too much... (I'd be around 5 with being alive only 2 days in archer)

Also we do not need to ask for crabs permission for every little detail. Ynnny and the mods can choose which games we'll play. Flip a coin, do a 1hour qt vig game /whatever

Keep the postcount in moderate dimensions.

Have a closer look to scum activity and warn about the time investment necessary. Replacing scum with newbies is even more of a challenge, being thrown into ongoing games in general is something that should be avoided for new players.

I forgot some aspects, but you'll figure it out.

Gorlak

Banned
Changing win conditions during games is a big no no.

Mods leaking player alignments is the worst (I will never forgive you Ourob -> ;))

Given fake roles need to be discussed. If town wants to fake claim

Sorian

Banned
I didn't ever expect a reply to that last PM, Blarg. Don't worry about it.

BTW, who do I PM my game concept to, Crab or Yeeny?

Just post the little application thing here in thread.

Firstly, our next generation of moderators.

I’ll be using Crab’s application form here, this is it:

Number of player slots for the game:
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up:
Theme:
Game type: (this one is new for Season 4, please self-assess your game from a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is CLASSIC MAFIA and 10 is BASTARD MAFIA)

I’m assuming there are at least three games that will run in Season 4. Crab will make the final call on this. I’m just running admin and helping out.

YNNNY Is compiling them.

RetroMG

You already posted the general gist here, didn't you?

Oh, I suppose, but one likes to be official.

Night Vale Mafia
Number of player slots for the game: 23
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Launchpad, Ourobolus, and Zatoth have been sent the full setup. I believe Crab has, too.
Theme: Welcome to Night Vale
Game type: (this one is new for Season 4, please self-assess your game from a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is CLASSIC MAFIA and 10 is BASTARD MAFIA)
Eeesh. I'm going to go with a 3.
The setup is pretty classic and I don't have an underlying mechanic, but there will be some twists. It is very flavor heavy, but the flavor can be safely ignored and the game played as regular mafia.

Kalor

here's more statistics on the drop outs:

Archer:
cooljeanius - donno reason
GreatLordTiger - he fell ill
Razmos - donno
TheAwesomePossum - school / rl time constraint
Seath - rl time constraint (modkilled)

Cthulhu:
Afrocious - donno
Capitan - DOTA / rl time constraint
OceanicAir - donno
OrangeYouGlad - donno
Vylash - donno

DR:
A Human Becoming - keeping up with the thread
ANuclearError - keeping up with the thread
Barrylocke - rl time constraint
ViViOggi - rl time constraint
TL21xx - rl time constraint (modkilled)

NX:

TheGoddamn - rl time constraint and couldnt keep up (was simultaneously playing in Archer)
RetroMG - busy (was simultaneously playing in Cthulhu)

Election:
Launches - some scum mishap
CzarTim - got sick
Never Forever - rl time constraint

I added in a couple of the reasons that I remember for the DR players just to fill it out a bit more.

The most common factor is not being able to commit the time and it should be stressed more by the moderator when sending out the pms. I don't remember if we do pms to confirm someone still wants to play but if we do then stressing it at that point would be the most ideal since it allows the chance to find replacements early.

Sorian

Banned
I added in a couple of the reasons that I remember for the DR players just to fill it out a bit more.

The most common factor is not being able to commit the time and it should be stressed more by the moderator when sending out the pms. I don't remember if we do pms to confirm someone still wants to play but if we do then stressing it at that point would be the most ideal since it allows the chance to find replacements early.

They do, or at least Traube/Zatoth did.

Number of player slots for the game: 16
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Not a single person. I have moderated 3 mafia games in my lifetime.
Theme:
Frog Fractions
Game type:

roytheone

Theme:
Frog Fractions

holy-sht.gif

I feel my game is a underdog now since it doesn't have any precise theme and there are ton of competitors now :D.

I'll root for ya, Burb! LOVE is a powerful thing. It would be great if you could share your LOVE with everyone, so that we might all increase our LOVE as well.

nin1000

Banned
First of all i would like to thank every single one of you for their contribution in creating this small little community of ours :)
  • There were talks about players potentially being able to swap places or select games to participate in. What do you guys think? Would the logistics be too troublesome? What are the pros and cons?
  • Season 4 will run into the holiday season. We have never run GAFia through the xmas / ny period. Are there potential issues here? How to address it best?
  • Newbie honeymoon period. There were discussions about how to handle newer players in-game. Once the sign-up thread is up, I will try to put together some analysis on retention and return rate of players, but how the community treats newer players would have some effects on the community’s population stability. Any thoughts on this?
  • Inactive players. Did Season 3 approach towards inactive players work better than Season 2? There were some modkills in Season 3, which were firsts in GAFia history, I think.
  • High Activity / Low Activity play style. I see a number of the high-activity posters have already started to rein in their post counts, which is appreciated and noted :> But if there are further discussions on this point, please chime in!
  • Any other feedback / gripes / constructive criticism you wanna raise, PLEASE SPEAK UP! Anything that you particularly enjoy or were frustrated with, any issues, any memories, any ideas – WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THEM ALL. Okies? ^____^

1. As others mentioned before everyone can put down their wishes on which game they would like to be but in the end if there is not enough space you will get to be put on one of the game. In the end its all Mafia just with different taste.
2. Expand the day and night phases a tad more, since i know that i wont be available for a couple of days in the holiday season. Everyone should expect that some players wont be available.
3. I think new players who would like to play should be aware that it could be a little bit rough but for this one i will bring up the example of BSP. She came in to a 3.5 with a lot of veteran players, she had a pretty rough role with he being unable to vote! But in the end she managed to leave a pretty lasting mark on the last game since she sustained the pressure some of the players put on her and managed to understand how some of the players tick. I think new players just have to play the game in order to grow.
Even if we let them live 1 more day, there will come a point in where some of us will put heavy cream on them.
4. I hate to bring it up again but i had my problems with inactivity on one of the Season 3 games. To make it short. I was mafia and my member was not chatting with me in the mafia chat. I know it was fun for some of you guys
Sorian
but to be blunt, it was a painful and frustrating experience i dont want to relive again.The thing is , i dont know how to solve this problem other than making eveyrone clear from the beginning that communication is GOLD in this kind of game, that brings me to the next pont.
How to get to new players or how to get players back that did feel intimidated by several reasons.
Since a lot of players felt intimidated by the sheer amount of posts some of the games accumulated,there were some that just gave up on the game:( Our own community acknowledged this problem and i think we managed to solve this by our own ( launch and Sorian gearing down a bit ). Like BSP once said"day one is a free pass for fluff posts and those that dont fluff get axed !" I know it is kind of impossible but we shoul all try to gear down a bit . For example look at the phenomenal Season 1 game ! just 40 pages :)
5. I agree that the main Season Games should be kept simpler and the half Season games to be crazy :)

Sorian

Banned
4. I hate to bring it up again but i had my problems with inactivity on one of the Season 3 games. To make it short. I was mafia and my member was not chatting with me in the mafia chat. I know it was fun for some of you guys
Sorian
but to be blunt, it was a painful and frustrating experience i dont want to relive again.The thing is , i dont know how to solve this problem other than making eveyrone clear from the beginning that communication is GOLD in this kind of game, that brings me to the next pont.
How to get to new players or how to get players back that did feel intimidated by several reasons.
Since a lot of players felt intimidated by the sheer amount of posts some of the games accumulated,there were some that just gave up on the game:( Our own community acknowledged this problem and i think we managed to solve this by our own ( launch and Sorian gearing down a bit ). Like BSP once said"day one is a free pass for fluff posts and those that dont fluff get axed !" I know it is kind of impossible but we shoul all try to gear down a bit . For example look at the phenomenal Season 1 game ! just 40 pages :)

I really am trying to gear it back, I think my main issue was I kept responding to people without letting some posts accumulate. Now that I try to let a few posts go by before replying to all of them, things have looked better on my end. Just a note though, I did not enjoy seeing you flail with no communication with a teammate. I very much thought we had a chance of winning with proper communication and I was sad D:

nin1000

Banned
here's more statistics on the drop outs:

Archer:
cooljeanius - donno reason
GreatLordTiger - he fell ill
Razmos - donno
TheAwesomePossum - school / rl time constraint
Seath - rl time constraint (modkilled)

Cthulhu:
Afrocious - donno
Capitan - DOTA / rl time constraint
OceanicAir - donno
OrangeYouGlad - donno
Vylash - donno

DR:
A Human Becoming - donno
ANuclearError - donno
Barrylocke - donno
ViViOggi - rl time constraint
TL21xx - rl time constraint (modkilled)

NX:

TheGoddamn - rl time constraint and couldnt keep up (was simultaneously playing in Archer)
RetroMG - not sure (was simultaneously playing in Cthulhu)

Election:
Launches - some scum mishap
CzarTim - got sick
Never Forever - rl time constraint

Dont forget those that did not come back like
TheWorthyEdge, I think i was being to harsh on him at the end of the game :( TWE if you read this , i am sorry :*
Just try to talk to your fucking teammates next time
Capitan ( i feel bad for him :( he was inactive because he was at the Dota 2 International, he said he could be back in a couple of days. I panicked and he got replaced by TWE LOL)
Neuromancer He said the time investement was too high.

🐝
__________________🐸_______________________
...........Do you know your fractions?........................
🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍

roytheone

🐝
__________________🐸_______________________
...........Do you know your fractions?........................
🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍🍍

Is your mafia game
the real frog fractions 2
?

Kittykris' game seems up in the wazoo! WHEEEEE

(( i got Retro's NightVale and Kittykris' games up on the first page now.... 7 in total so far for S4 ))

(( personally i'd pick burb (normalish according to ouro), retro (moderate mix of normal and crazy) and salva (crazyish) to host but ...........ofc im not crab so hehe~ ))

(( sorry others ;____; ))

We decided that we will be voting as a group on the three games right? When is that process starting?

oh woops didn't see soyuri's future thinking post before i made my post XD

are we doing voting on the games? was this darryl's idea thingy? anyway, should we wait for more game applications to come in before we start voting ? i dont think we should wait for more cuz 7 is already tough to pick favs from and i dont wanna break more hearts :x

thanks kalor! i agree, i think the TWO biggest reasons for drop outs are real time constraints and difficulty with keeping up with threads. To address these,....

as for time constraint drop outs.... we need to make sure that new players understand the amount of time and commitment they'd need to put in to get the most out of the experience

and for the difficulty with keeping up, yepyep, our community seems to know how to self-regulate and loads of the highest posters have geared down visibly, so i think this is addressed :>

.... drop outs WILL happen though. it is unavoidable. unforeseen stuff rears their heads and i am certain that games WILL need replacements. that's just how it is but i think it'd be good if we can manage the amount of replacements needed to the lowest possible level is all :>

Sorian

Banned
oh woops didn't see soyuri's future thinking post before i made my post XD

are we doing voting on the games? was this darryl's idea thingy? anyway, should we wait for more game applications to come in before we start voting ? i dont think we should wait for more cuz 7 is already tough to pick favs from and i dont wanna break more hearts :x

It's from Palmer's timeline that most people agreed made sense back from early September.

This would be my preference for the main Seasonal games:

0. Post mortem for any needed rules changes, feedback, etc.

1. Figure out who wants to run games in the new season, including theme, restrictions, gimmicks, but do not pick games yet.

2. Post thread in Off-Topic for recruitment purposes, leave it there for X days/weeks.

3. Have all interested players vote on which of the games they would prefer. i.e. if we're going to play 3 games, have them pick 3 from a list.

4. Top 3(or whatever) games get players distributed as evenly as possible among them, leaving some players as replacements.

5. Game Moderators now balance their game with assistance from other chosen moderators and backups.

6. Players may arrange 1:1 trades between games.(This step I care least about, but I don't think it would be a problem

7. Players get assigned roles.

8. Games start.

Once enough players have died, people can host side games like we have been doing, which can ignore some of these rules for expediency, though do try and give players 24-48 hours to show interest. I would also prefer if players stuck to a single game while they're alive, unless it's needed for replacement purposes specifically.

oh yes! palmer's awesome thingy!

.... so that step comes AFTER the recruitment thread is set up? though? i guess we really should start the sign up thread but i'm still feeling iffy about railroading crab out of the process since he has templates set up and everything :<

*Splinter

Kristoffer's might be better for mid season? I don't mean that in a bad way, just lower player count and extra craziness.
Maybe same for Makai's?

Maybe I hate crazy games, or maybe I want to play in both of these. Only time will tell.

Also go ahead and sign me up for both of those games

and Burbeting's

Dont forget those that did not come back like
TheWorthyEdge, I think i was being to harsh on him at the end of the game :( TWE if you read this , i am sorry :*
Just try to talk to your fucking teammates next time
Capitan ( i feel bad for him :( he was inactive because he was at the Dota 2 International, he said he could be back in a couple of days. I panicked and he got replaced by TWE LOL)
Neuromancer He said the time investement was too high.

well, we donno yet if those will come back or not :> will see once the recruitment thread is up if there are non returning players. neuro did say he wasn't going to play again but i think he had some harsh criticism thrown at his face, more than time constraints. i may be wrong though.

in any case, i hope to see some unexpected returns :D *crosses fingers*

Sorian

Banned
oh yes! palmer's awesome thingy!

.... so that step comes AFTER the recruitment thread is set up? though? i guess we really should start the sign up thread but i'm still feeling iffy about railroading crab out of the process since he has templates set up and everything :<

Maybe I'm crazy but I'm pretty sure Crab was giving the blessing to move things along at whatever pace we wanted until his return:

i've been having intermittent connection problems as i am abroad

my keyboard is also not working properly

someone else may have to start the review thread where we can talk about structure for GAFia's future - e.g., how seasons and non-season games work, whether we allow people to choose between open/normal/bastard etc - ouro/launch/kark?

in general im unsure how easy posting will be until nov 5th for me, sorry about this. did not think i'd be quite so busy/remote

i have a template for the season thread + signups to pass on once the review is over, but i cant contribute much myself atm

I think the bolded is just saying someone should throw him a PM whenever we are ready for the recruitment thread and he can send the template along for anyone else to start.

Somebody bother Crab for his templates and knowledge

it is his internet connectivity that is the issue, splinterooo.... not his gaf access... i think

so his emails and everything else would also be affected .... so im not sure how easy it is for him to send anything across since even his emails may not be sending through if his internet connection is flaky :<

someone teleport crab back into civilization pls. ENERGIZE.

oshit someone should make a star trek themed game

Sorian

Banned
it is his internet connectivity that is the issue, splinterooo.... not his gaf access... i think

so his emails and everything else would also be affected .... so im not sure how easy it is for him to send anything across since even his emails may not be sending through if his internet connection is flaky :<

someone teleport crab back into civilization pls. ENERGIZE.

You are deciphering his post much differently than I am lol. I read it as him saying that when he has connection, it's fine for everything but the times that he has connection are few and far between.

You are deciphering his post much differently than I am lol. I read it as him saying that when he has connection, it's fine for everything but the times that he has connection are few and far between.

i can see how you are reading it!

i will PM bother him now and see if he will respond to our ullullations of needs!!

edit: PM sent~ :D hopefully we can set up the recruitment thread soon! ^_____^

don't entirely like people voting for 3. maybe just 2, or 1. because you could run into a problem where people who want normal games vote for normal games and the other way around

I still have that Battlestar Galactica themed concept lying around. But I might think about Star Trek for the fun of it...

You are a Redshirt.

You are aligned with the Crew.

Wuhuu, your first away mission! That's so exciting! You will show Roddenberry who should be named in the credits! You will outdo the Vulcan at deduction and the captain at bravery! You will be the Captain of next show's space ship (or at least have a cameo as Admiral)! Don't worry about those things they say about nameless redshirts on away missions. Everything will be fine, I promise.

You don't have any special abilities. Not because you couldn't do special things, but because the writers thought that ensigns have to be boring blokes. But at least you still can become the best member of the away mission by on-point voting.
And drawing the kills away from the named cast

The game thread is here.

Kristoffer's might be better for mid season? I don't mean that in a bad way, just lower player count and extra craziness.
Maybe same for Makai's?
Yeah, that's a better idea. I nominate for my game to be a planned mid season game. Mostly because I don't want to detract from Makai's game.

Sorian

Banned
Sorry to bug this thread but I know some people permanently migrated. I'm running ONUW 5 so please go let me know in our main thread if you want to play!

Pau

People have already covered the activity stuff, but I did want to iterate how unnecessarily unwelcoming the first day of DR was. When the rules say you only have to post like twice a day but then the actual game is different kind of sucks. So clearer rules about expectations would be good.

I don't know if people enjoy being mean to each other or are comfortable enough with each other to joke around which is all fair but if that's the case, make it known beforehand what to expect? Once again, it's in the rules that there shouldn't be personal attacks but it's hard to know where that line is depending on the person. Personally, it's really hard for me to gauge when people are being serious or what not. Maybe I'm in the minority here and just have really thin skin. :/ I think that's the biggest thing that would keep me from joining another game.

Top Bottom