• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Temporary GAF Mafia Thread |OT| According to the Keikaku

RetroMG

I don't know that a hard requirement is necessary, but I would suggest that new and dead players should always have priority over players who are currently in a game.

It's a hard call. I thought I could play Cthulhu and NX at once, and I obviously couldn't, so I dropped out. But other players can do it.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
On the subject of split attention: I think people should be able to best regulate how they are able to spend their time. Guys like Sorian are able to do practically like 7 games at once and still be high posters. Others like myself prefer to do one game at a time.

On the .5 games: I honestly think the only thing missing from those is a standardized post format to make them easier to identify. It could be something like:

GAME ANNOUNCEMENT

<Game Title>

<Game Type>(Closed, Open, Semi-Open, Bastard)

<Number of players>

<Summary of game mechanics>

<Summary of Flavor>

<player list of sign ups>

<Countdown Clock for sign ups period>

I also suggest that if more than the number of players needed sign up in the allotted time, the following should happen:

1. Players already in a game get pulled from the list.

2. If still more than available, RNG.

3. If not, RNG the list of people already in game.

This is to keep the games as open as possible and free from possibly becoming 'cliques'.

roytheone

I don't know that a hard requirement is necessary, but I would suggest that new and dead players should always have priority over players who are currently in a game.

I think that if you do .5 priority like this, players that are currently playing in another game will only be able to join if it is absolutely necessary because there are too little sign ups for the game. That's actually a pretty good way to handle it.

Palmer_v1

what do we feel about split attentions? e.g. how a fair few people got annoyed at how people in both s3 and 3.5 games did not seem to participate as fully as they might? is there any room to restrict .5 games to those who are dead or otherwise not participating? or require a certain level of prior activity before being approved to make multiple games?

Personally, i've already suggested that people stick to one game until death. After you're dead, feel free to jump into another game, but not before then, except in case of a dire need of replacements. It's also a matter of getting to play with more people. Between 3 seasonal games and a side game, I still haven't played with like half of GAFia. Not that I dislike anyone, but I'd rather not play with the same small group EVERY time. Variety, etc.

cabot

I'm with Darryl, I won't be doing two games at once again.

I assume there's no real way to keep an ongoing mafia sign up thread in the normal OT section? Being able to maintain one for the .5 games could keep things fresh with new players.

Terra's idea of a standardised signup/announcement for those games is pretty neat though, and I also agree while 24 hours is a good length for sign up, maybe raising it a little would help people at getting a fair shot of getting in a game.

Done.

Not necessarily possible. Even in WDIOTL there were some roles which don't have a good wiki page.

The preference system should resolve this as best as I can, but ultimately a few players will not end up with the game they want.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the .5 setup and mid-season games like Election? I don't want to do too much to them - their strength is they can be a bit wilder and a bit more off-road and down to the individual moderator - but I have two main concerns, which are connected. The first is whether or not they become cliques and the second is how people sign-up to them. I'm sort of anxious to avoid an invites/old-boys mentality to these side-games, as that comes across as pretty unwecoming.

It's my last thing I want to talk about before I begin games and start S4.

EDIT: oh, and a third - I don't want them to parasite from/distract from the main season games, as that as where we get our new players.
I'm already making it a rule that dead players have priority for my game. As for currently living players, Cabot's RNG idea is best. Announce sign ups ahead of time, with a 72 hour notice, let the signups roll in, and randomize the list, taking the first x number. The reason for this is that during the mid season 3 games, a game would be announced while I was at work or school, I would have a busy day, and by the time I came home, the most list would be filled. I'm not going to apologize for not checking GAF every 10 hours.

At this point I want to recommend we use Yeeny's global player table on Google docs to keep track of live and dead players, current games they're in, time zone, availability, etc.

Sorian

Banned
what do we feel about split attentions? e.g. how a fair few people got annoyed at how people in both s3 and 3.5 games did not seem to participate as fully as they might? is there any room to restrict .5 games to those who are dead or otherwise not participating? or require a certain level of prior activity before being approved to make multiple games?

Here's my take on things. You should only be playing in one game at a time. There should only ever be 3 games running at the same time so the .5 games can only start once one of the main season games has ended. Another .5 game can begin if another main season game ends or if the first .5 game ends etc.

IF replacements are non-existent while the game is running then you may consider doubling up in a game but you should really really know that you can devote the time to two games (basically be a no lifer like me :/). If there is not enough people dead/interested to fill the game then the .5 game runners should wait for more deaths from the mains season games.

On the subject of split attention: I think people should be able to best regulate how they are able to spend their time. Guys like Sorian are able to do practically like 7 games at once and still be high posters. Others like myself prefer to do one game at a time.

This isn't wrong but if I end up on a scum team or masons team or something, I think its super important to be on your best game and splitting attention between games will always mean that you are missing small details. I can definitely be active enough for multiple games but it's easy to lose track when you have different sets of people in different scenarios.

Palmer_v1

I'm already making it a rule that dead players have priority for my game. As for currently living players, Cabot's RNG idea is best. Announce sign ups ahead of time, with a 72 hour notice, let the signups roll in, and randomize the list, taking the first x number. The reason for this is that during the mid season 3 games, a game would be announced while I was at work or school, I would have a busy day, and by the time I came home, the most list would be filled. I'm not going to apologize for not checking GAF every 10 hours.

At this point I want to recommend we use Yeeny's global player table on Google docs to keep track of live and dead players, current games they're in, time zone, availability, etc.

I missed that RNG idea previously, but I do agree that sign ups for .5 games need to extend longer, and should not be first come first serve. New players > Waitlisted Dead vets > Dead vets, and RNG as needed. As an example, say you have 15 player game, and get 3 new volunteers and 15 dead vet volunteers, 5 of which are waitlisted from missing a previous game. The first 3 are guaranteed spots, as are the 5 people on the waitlist, while the remaining 7 spots get RNG'd to the remaining 10 volunteers. Anyone that fails to make it into that game get waitlisted for the next one.

roytheone

I agree that we shouldn't have more than 3 games going on gaf at any time (quick topic games are of course a different story). We shouldn't piss off the mods by cluttering the off topic section more than we already do ;)

I also agree someone should never be in 2 games unless absolutely necessary. Not only because of the time it costs, but I also fear that would invite stupid meta-gaming reasoning against that player. People may look at how that person plays in his/her other game and draw conclusions about that. Or they see the fact that the person has time to play in another game as a sign he/she hasn't a very demanding role (like mason our scum) in his/her first game. I think we should try to avoid that as much as possible.

Hobohodo

Hey all, teacher training is time consuming.

When season 4 begins proper can I get a link to the dead thread? I'm never gonna have the time to play at th moment but wanna try and keep up as best as I can when the new season starts.

roytheone

Hey all, teacher training is time consuming.

When season 4 begins proper can I get a link to the dead thread? I'm never gonna have the time to play at th moment but wanna try and keep up as best as I can when the new season starts.

Of course, but you should probably ask it again in the new season 4 thread when that is up.

I disagree with the strict 3 games limit. If enough dead people want to play a game, they should be allowed to. Remember when we talked about how shitty it is to get killed/lynched N1/D1 in a main season game because it just drags on forever and you can't play? Well, that ruling would make the issue even worse because you have to wait for one game to actually finish instead of just enough other dead people.

My suggestion: If there at any time are three or more games runnings you are only allowed to sign up for a new .5-game if you are not alive in one of the ongoing games. This is a strict rule and not a but-we-need-more-players-so-please?-rule.

kingkitty

When it comes to .5 games, I concur with some that it's probably for the best that they're played by people who are already dead/not participating in the main three games. I'm fine with these .5 games having signups in the regular community thread. Although they should stay up for at least a week, and put pure newbies in front of the line, followed by people who have participated in mafia but not this particular season, and finally followed by people who are dead.

RetroMG

I just realized that I posted this in the other thread, but not over here.

I've set up an external message board to host the threads that we would normally host on QuickTopic. (Spectator threads, Dead Threads, ONUW and other .5 games)

I give you

Outer Gafia

Come on over and sign up!

I'm just going to spoil the surprise. Kris' game is Frog Fractions 2
///////////////////...................................///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////...................................///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////...................................////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////...................................////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////.................................../////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////...................................///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////...................................////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////...................................///////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////...................................////////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////...................................///////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////...................................//////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////.................................../////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////...................................////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////...................................///////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////...................................////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////...................................////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////...................................///////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////...................................///////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////...................................///////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////............................./////////////...........///////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////...................................///////////////////............///////////////////////////////
/////////////...................................///////////////////////////////.........../////////////////////////////////
/////////...................///////////////////////////////////////////////...........//////////////////////////////////////
//////.................//////////////////////////////////////////////////...........///////////////////////////////////////
//////.................////////////////////////////////////////////////////.........../////////////////////////////////////
////................./////////////////////////////////////////////////////////.........../////////////////////////////////
///////.................////////////////////////////////////////////////...........///////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////.................//////////////////////////////////...........//////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////.................////////////////////////...........////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////.................////////////////...........//////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////.....................//////////...........///////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////............................../////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////................./////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////................................&#128056;.....................
//// we have to go deeper ///////////////////////////////////////................>===&#128050;....................
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Frankly, I had difficulty with this issue in Danganronpa. On hindsight, I realized that it was primarily caused by my own unfair expectations. I do not have a lot of leisure time to play due to work and internet stability and this led to me applying pressure to myself to commit to the game 100% whenever I could play. When I saw others displayed a degree of split attention, I have to admit that I struggled with this and I ended up disheartened.

I do not believe I will be returning in future games, not due to this wholly, but most of my issues have been addressed thusly in this review thread. I would like to say though, that I did have an interesting experience and I would like to thank the community for the run.

Frankly, I had difficulty with this issue in Danganronpa. On hindsight, I realized that it was primarily caused by my own unfair expectations. I do not have a lot of leisure time to play due to work and internet stability and this led to me applying pressure to myself to commit to the game 100% whenever I could play. When I saw others displayed a degree of split attention, I have to admit that I struggled with this and I ended up disheartened.

I do not believe I will be returning in future games, not due to this wholly, but most of my issues have been addressed thusly in this review thread. I would like to say though, that I did have an interesting experience and I would like to thank the community for the run.

haaaaaaaaaaaay goshgosh!

I'm glad to hear from u! I was rooting for u and townies right until Makai switched to become the super awesome SK... ^____^

Aaaaa it's too bad you won't join us again, but at least you had fun! :D (( no pressure but butbut .... do come back one day if you can okiesss ))

guys

seems like crab is MIA again and he hasn't responded to any of our PMs? right? or did he get in touch with any of you about when is he going to start S4 recruitment thread? Haly?

cuz i think we've done and discussed the reviewey stuff completely now and the community seems ready to get cracking on to S4

i guess his internets is really giving him problems and last time he said he wont be able to return before Nov 5.... which is still awhile away. now i know i said that im not comfortable with railroading crab cuz he's got templates ready and everything but i did offer, through PM, to post them for him if he'd pass them on to me, but he didn't so... uh, i can feel some people getting quite eager and i just want to take a rough read on which way would people prefer?

Option A: wait for crab
Option B: i can whip up S4 recruitment thread based on S3 template and get us starting

let me know? thankies.

Sorian

Banned
guys

seems like crab is MIA again and he hasn't responded to any of our PMs? right? or did he get in touch with any of you about when is he going to start S4 recruitment thread? Haly?

cuz i think we've done and discussed the reviewey stuff completely now and the community seems ready to get cracking on to S4

i guess his internets is really giving him problems and last time he said he wont be able to return before Nov 5.... which is still awhile away. now i know i said that im not comfortable with railroading crab cuz he's got templates ready and everything but i did offer, through PM, to post them for him if he'd pass them on to me, but he didn't so... uh, i can feel some people getting quite eager and i just want to take a rough read on which way would people prefer?

Option B: i can whip up S4 recruitment thread based on S3 template and get us starting

let me know? thankies.

Option B. It's either that or riot at this point, I think.

Sawneeks

Banned
guys

let me know? thankies.

If it works for you yeeny, option B.

Recruitment Threads last for about 2 weeks, right? If it was put up this weekend, say Saturday, it would end on November 7 and it would give Crab and Corn time to check in. It could even be given a few extra days if Crab wanted to change anything as well. But I think if we followed the templates for S3 it wouldn't be too hard.

Swamped

Banned
I am good with either option. I do think we are ready to roll out the next season though, since most of the proposed games have been checked by the mod tutors according to my understanding. Pretty sure Crab would understand if ynnny posted the recruitment thread.

SalvaPot

I am honestly not in a hurry, if we get bored we can always run smaller games, but honestly I was feeling like taking a breather. I can wait for crab.

RetroMG

I'm good either way. Outer Gafia is as ready as it's going to be to host the necessary off-site threads, and aside from a minor hiccup this morning, everything seems to be going swimmingly with the MGS game.

If we want to wait, I'm sure Sorian or I could keep running ONUW, and I could probably whip up my short Disneyland Game if people want to do that.

If we want to go ahead, I'm sure Crab will understand.

Sorian

Banned
I'm good either way. Outer Gafia is as ready as it's going to be to host the necessary off-site threads, and aside from a minor hiccup this morning, everything seems to be going swimmingly with the MGS game.

If we want to wait, I'm sure Sorian or I could keep running ONUW, and I could probably whip up my short Disneyland Game if people want to do that.

If we want to go ahead, I'm sure Crab will understand.

If you want to host a ONUW, feel free to let me know. I plan to do one next week and have it coincide with a night phase of MGS if you aren't though.

Sorian

Banned
Keep in mind that this is a vote to start the recruitment thread and Crab is planned to be back in real internet land in two weeks. I don't want to start games without Crab but recruitment now is a great time IMO.

RetroMG

If you want to host a ONUW, feel free to let me know. I plan to do one next week and have it coincide with a night phase of MGS if you aren't though.

I was throwing myself in as an option mostly in case you didn't want to do it. (Since you're also playing MGS.) You should go ahead - I like your style.

Keep in mind that this is a vote to start the recruitment thread and Crab is planned to be back in real internet land in two weeks. I don't want to start games without Crab but recruitment now is a great time IMO.

This is a solid point, although I would wait a week so that he comes back during recruitment. That way some of the work is done for him, but he still has time to make adjustments if needed before new and old players start getting too antsy.

roytheone

Yeah, I am in favor of opening the recruitment thread already. We can always decide to wait with the real games for a bit longer if we want (however, we also shouldn't wait too long, new people that are interested and sign up could lose interest if they have to wait for like a month). Are the three game runners already definitive?

yeah i thoughts peeps were going to nominate their preferences as they sign up and then crab can just tally up the results and see what's what and then factor that into his decision making as he picks which games would run or something

uh im gonna leave the A or B vote for another day just in case crab magically appears but if B wins i can put it up within the next day or so

Sorian

Banned
yeah i thoughts peeps were going to nominate their preferences as they sign up and then crab can just tally up the results and see what's what and then factor that into his decision making as he picks which games would run or something

This was my impression as well, people would vote as they sign up.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Just a thought, but what we we hold off the game vote until AFTER the recruitment? What I mean is, we just recruit people to play mafia. After we have a max number of potential people to play, then we vote.

nin1000

Banned
everyone relax and take some time , we are in no hurry whatsoever !
there is on need to rush things right now. If someone has the urge to play there are the ONWU games. Everyone relax the fuck out please :)

Sorian

Banned
everyone relax and take some time , we are in no hurry whatsoever !
there is on need to rush things right now. If someone has the urge to play there are the ONWU games. Everyone relax the fuck out please :)

Oh ok, yeah, good call, we should probably just wait for Crab and he can......

Oh nevermind. You don't want to take some time either or relax, got it.

Top Bottom