• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 59th Annual Grammy Awards |OT| The Year Of Realizing Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emarv

I think people misunderstand how guttural artists awards like the Oscars and Grammys are for artists. Yeah, just about every matured artist understands that award shows are variations on popularity or political contests judged by biased old Academy members. They know they're largely vapid and have a long history of snubs and injustices. They get that.

However, I'm sure that just about every artist had that moment when they were a child, standing in front of their bathroom mirror accepting their award. These things are instilled deep into just about every young artist, even as you age and understand how little they matter, it's really hard to shake that validation from your "peers" and to join that "list" that so many of your heroes are on.

I know Beyonce won't stress too much over this. She'll get back to work. But it surely means something to her. It'd be hard for it not to.

Air

Banned
You remind us that award shows are racist and have a long history of racism. Then say don't be too upset because that's the way it is? Cmon, man.

Nobody is like grabbing pitchforks, but everyone here already knows that history and knows that this is just another one in the long line of minority snubs. Hence the frustration.

It's more like, I'm saying just because somethings have changed in our day to day, doesn't mean it's going to be reflected in these circumstances. You can be frustrated, but all that does is give the Grammys attention and create additional drama to get people viewing the next time Beyonce puts out an album. If you're aware of their history it's easier to reject them.

The answer is to withdraw your music from nomination and not show up period. Let them have that shit we never needed it. It's fucking up artist minds when they show up. They not supporting our culture and community so why are we giving them everything including the right to validate us? The answer is easy but we don't wanna actually follow though so nothing will change. Frank did the right thing but he is just 1 artist.

Yeah, after a certain point the actual award show needs the artists who are making waves. If they pull out the award shows will panic. But they don't because its a symbol of being seen as equals. It's a vicious cycle

Emarv

It's more like, I'm saying just because somethings have changed in our day to day, doesn't mean it's going to be reflected in these circumstances. You can be frustrated, but all that does is give the Grammys attention and create additional drama to get people viewing the next time Beyonce puts out an album. If you're aware of their history it's easier to reject them.

Or you voice your frustration and have that lead to slow, meaningful change. Like how the Oscars changed their member process and feel pressured to be more inclusive going forward to highlight diversity.

Air

Banned
Or you voice your frustration and have that lead to slow, meaningful change. Like how the Oscars changed their member process and feel pressured to be more inclusive going forward to highlight diversity.

How many times have black artists voiced their frustrations with the Grammys?

Koodo

Banned
Seems like Adele has smashed the AOTY award she thought belonged to Beyoncé:

C4hS8goXUAAy3Xj.jpg

She's such a stan. And what a stark contrast with that mediocre white man Macklemore cowering behind a private text message to send his regards to Kendrick – but that's expected of someone who blatantly pilfers from civil rights and LGBT causes to sell a few singles.

HaloSon

Banned

Yeah, after a certain point the actual award show needs the artists who are making waves. If they pull out the award shows will panic. But they don't because its a symbol of being seen as equals. It's a vicious cycle

White supremacy my friend. It's just awful. We have to find a way to destroy it. But people don't want to put In work. Having black artist pull out from these award shows would actually move the needle.

Seems like Adele has smashed the AOTY award she thought belonged to Beyoncé:

C4hS8goXUAAy3Xj.jpg

She's such a stan. And what a stark contrast with that mediocre white man Macklemore cowering behind a private text message to send his regards to Kendrick – but that's expected of someone who blatantly pilfers from civil rights and LGBT causes to sell a few singles.

Adele gets it.

Mahershala Ali is definitely getting best supporting actor tho

A bunch of people said the same thing about Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls and it went to someone else.

...I'm not even a Beyonce stan and I realize the greatness that was Lemonade

The Grammy's are about to get racial diversity flack for this. 25 was not nearly as transcendant and poignant as Lemonade.

EDIT: I love Adele. I just cannot stand the people who vote for the Grammy awards themselves.

Emarv

How many times have black artists voiced their frustrations with the Grammys?

OscarsSoWhite wasn't about from black actors voicing frustrations, but from fans of minority artists finally having a meaningful avenue to voice their frustrations as consumers, and add pressure for change.

A bunch of people said the same thing about Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls and it went to someone else.

...I'm not even a Beyonce stan and I realize the greatness that was "Lemonade"

The Grammy's are about to get a blacklash for this.

The only sure thing regarding POC and the Academy Awards 2017 is Viola Davis.

MANUELF

Banned
I just saw there is a Twitter outrage because Adele said Black Friends.......
What else could she have said? Africanenglish?

Air

Banned
OscarsSoWhite wasn't about from black actors voicing frustrations, but from fans of minority artists finally having a meaningful avenue to voice their frustrations as consumers, and add pressure for change.

The questions is still the same though. How many times have artists or fans voiced discontent for the Grammy's and their choices? We're on the same side here btw, it's just that I don't think complaining does anything, because all you're doing is giving the show free publicity and giving them less incentive to change. They'll change when people stop checking in. That said, this is how the Grammys roll. I won't be surprised if they give Beyonce album of the year next time, and the cycle will start again with some other artist

Another issue that will be discussed that night is when Moonlight only wins one award or no awards.

I just feel Beyonce slayed 2016 and kept the momentum up to even this year. I don't understand how you can still think 25 is more deserving...but now I'm ranting...

Emarv

The questions is still the same though. How many times have artists or fans voiced discontent for the Grammy's and their choices? We're on the same side here btw, it's just that I don't think complaining does anything, because all you're doing is giving the show free publicity and giving them less incentive to change. They'll change when people stop checking in. That said, this is how the Grammys roll. I won't be surprised if they give Beyonce album of the year next time, and the cycle will start again with some other artist

I understand we're on the same side. I just genuinely disagree with the idea that people continuing to voice frustrations to people in power is fruitless or that disengagement is the real answer. I believe the exact opposite. Just my own personal belief system. Anyways, i think we can move on from this convo.

HaloSon

Banned
The answer is to withdraw your music from nomination and not show up period. Let them have that shit we never needed it. It's fucking up artist minds when they show up. They not supporting our culture and community so why are we giving them everything including the right to validate us? The answer is easy but we don't wanna actually follow though so nothing will change. Frank did the right thing but he is just 1 artist.

Just had to quote myself because this is the only way to prevent this from happening again.

Jesus Christ, have her fans always been this whiny and entitled? So much arguing over an silly awards show picking one silly pop singer over another one.

And here you are whining? 😂😂😂😂

This uppity uppity lame shit as if you aren't being just as childish doesn't make any sense.

----

The stars already aligned with 25 winning and the Grammys again show their ass, but luckily Adele is a bigger Beyhive Stan than all of us so really and truly, Beyoncé lost the physical award but her impact has just shown that it's much bigger than a piece of gold medal, even the ones she has herself. Congrats Adele!

Another issue that will be discussed that night is when Moonlight only wins one award or no awards.

I just feel Beyonce slayed 2016 and kept the momentum up to even this year. I don't understand how you can still think 25 is more deserving...but now I'm ranting...

POC are gonna be well represented at the Academy Awards. It might not have the desired outcome for some, but there's some solace in that shit. (and no one saw Moonlight coming)

HaloSon

Banned
POC are gonna be well represented at the Academy Awards. It might not have the desired outcome for some, but there's some solace in that shit. (and no one saw Moonlight coming)

It's time to stop caring about how they feel. What you are telling them is you have vacant esteem and we depend upon these awards given to us to feel apart of the dominate society right? That has to stop. These awards don't mean shit. We must resist it we must leave it altogether.

i will never understand why so many people love beyonce but different strokes for different folks, i guess

adele is massively talented and deserves to win awards.

They better give it to Ms Davis after snubbing her in The Help for a phoned in Streep performance

As for the Grammy's, I'm not as upset this year as I was last year because at least 25 was a good album from a good artist. Kendrick losing to Taylor Swift was the real travesty. No way in hell was 1989 in any way, shape, or form superior to any of the AOTY nominees that year.

jbug617

Banned
Somebody from Billboard tweeted this

@natalieweiner: Beyonce has won one nongenre Grammy. She's been nominated more than any woman ever: 62 times.

‏@natalieweiner: Beyonce has been nominated for Album of the Year three times; she's lost to Taylor Swift, Beck, and Adele.

Shitting on Adele is gonna be a bad look if anybody does it. Shes nice. Not a snake ass like Taylor Swift. And she saluted da gawd Beyonce when she won. Offered tribute.

Big Blue

I just saw there is a Twitter outrage because Adele said Black Friends.......
What else could she have said? Africanenglish?
She didn't have to mention black friends at all. Heck, she could have just said black women. It's a common term that people use to deflect accusations of racism. It comes off as pretty corny.

Beyonce and Adele are great, talented people that are both swimming in Grammy awards. If this was some lesser known person it would be different. While I preferred Lemonade over 25, the AOTY nominations were jokes.

HaloSon

Banned
Kanye West was goddamn right.

He was. He gave them his work his culture as a black man in American and they spit in his face every single time. He recognized their behavior would not change and left no longer leaving himself vulnerable to this psychological warfare they wage upon us disguised as a awards show.

xaosslug

RIP, Katy. This comeback is looking lackluster af. xD

Remember kids...

Popular =/= Good

but... Taylor Swift? She's won it twice, and is arguably as popular or more popular than Bey and Adele. This whole thing is a mess, and Bey probs would have won if she had AT LEAST 1 smash single from the album.

oh well.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
i will never understand why so many people love beyonce but different strokes for different folks, i guess

adele is massively talented and deserves to win awards.

I agree, it would be hard to find a more overrated artist than Beyonce. Adele better keep her award, her album was much better than Lemonade IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom