• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 59th Annual Grammy Awards |OT| The Year Of Realizing Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
He never got nominated for MBDTF. One of the biggest snubs in recent history.

He understood why that happened though, he said it right after the noms first went out. He split the vote with Watch the Throne.

Edit: and I still really don't like the "old white people voted for Macklemore over Kendrick" thing. I remember posting in the Grammy thread that year that is not how Grammy votes work. Everyone votes for Album, Song, Record, and Best New Artist, and then you are supposed to vote for only the genres you know, and you are limited in how many you can vote for. These change every few years because they get rid of different awards or group them differently. Unless there was a conspiracy of old white people to vote for things they didn't listen to, the only people voting for best Rap album are people who listen to rap...or they voted for what their kids told them to vote for.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't get people on the 1989 beef

That thing was so successful in every measure and reception, that it seems as obvious to me that it was in the fight for that award as Adele has been in each of her wins. It's not like it was some shocker like Beck beating Beyoncé where the album had no interest, hit singles, good user reviews, major sales, and great critical reviews.

Like come on, 1989 winning is a bad example for the argument. That thing was a successful album all around and flew to the top.

Seriously. My brother, who listens to hardcore music and black metal, loves 1989.

xJavonta

Banned
Lmao I'll never understand why people love Adele I find her music bland and extremely boring. She can sing but her music doesn't really show that
In a time where most mainstream singers make upbeat/pop songs or focus on dancing and preforming or fashion she is making 80s/ early 90s soul ballad type songs. And releasing them as singles not just as the last song on their albums.

FZZ

Banned

That thing was so successful in every measure and reception, that it seems as obvious to me that it was in the fight for that award as Adele has been in each of her wins. It's not like it was some shocker like Beck beating Beyoncé where the album had no interest, hit singles, good user reviews, major sales, and great critical reviews.

Like come on, 1989 winning is a bad example for the argument. That thing was a successful album all around and flew to the top.

How come Beck beat Beyonce tho?

1989 & 25 despite not being anywhere near the best rated albums compared to other albums released won

It seems no matter what the metric is, black artists get snubbed. When they have the best selling most popular album they don't win, and when they have the most critically acclaimed album that creates a fucking social movement (TPAB) they don't win

LionPride

Banned

But it wasn't better than TPAB
It wasn't better than Sound & Color

And I LIKE 1989

----------------------------------
Y'all know who's a talented musician, but her music doesn't reflect it well?

Ariana Grande

HaloSon

Banned
How come Beck beat Beyonce tho?

1989 & 25 despite not being anywhere near the best rated albums compared to other albums released won

It seems no matter what the metric is, black artists get snubbed. When they have the best selling most popular album they don't win, and when they have the most critically acclaimed album that creates a fucking social movement (TPAB) they don't win

I don't know how many times I have to keep saying it. They don't value the music or culture because they think they are better. It's as simple as that. Kanye and Frank figured it out. The rest are still dancing for validation they will never get.

Bronx-Man

Banned
MBDTF breh

;_;
hLwnuF3.gif

We'll always have that perfect 10 from Pitchfork though

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't know how many times I have to keep saying it. They don't value the music or culture because they think they are better. It's a simple as that. Kanye and Frank figured it out. The rest are still dancing for validation they will never get.

So basically, Beyonce didn't win because the Grammy voters don't like black people?

daffy

Banned
Gonna agree with HaloSon on this one. people ITT scrounging for answers like white supremacy isn't RIGHT there. You keep going back to the kitchen and opening that white refrigerator hoping for the answers to the galaxy but it could all be so simple

still think its disrespectful to take away from the winners and shit on albums like 1989 and 25.

So basically, Beyonce didn't win because the Grammy voters don't like black people?
I don't think it's that cut n dry. I think they don't relate to many black artist. They see it as black music with an occasional cross over song. They vote for what they relate to/like and to them the songs/albums aren't as good.

HaloSon

Banned
Gonna agree with HaloSon on this one. people ITT scrounging for answers like white supremacy isn't RIGHT there. You keep going back to the kitchen and opening that white refrigerator hoping for the answers to the galaxy but it could all be so simple

Thank you. When are we going to stand up for ourselves and stop showing up to these things?

LionPride

Banned

still think its disrespectful to take away from the winners and shit on albums like 1989 and 25.

One of those albums is actually really really good

Both of them are worse than albums they went against, by a wide margin

Moonkid

The Target ad gets me because it's bizarre, maybe even endearing, hearing Lil Yachty on an older style of flow. Performance-side Daft Punk and the Weeknd was av, but Tribe and co. was fresh. Hope y'all are ready for more hip hop snubs next year :^)

HaloSon

Banned
The Target ad gets me because it's bizarre, maybe even endearing, hearing Lil Yachty on an older style of flow. Performance-side Daft Punk and the Weeknd was av, but Tribe and co. was fresh. Hope y'all are ready for more hip hop snubs next year :^)

If the artist have any courage they won't show up.

Moonkid

----------------------------------
Y'all know who's a talented musician, but her music doesn't reflect it well?

Ariana Grande
She got my respect when I saw a video of her singing Hide and Seek live.

If the artist have any courage they won't show up.
I think on one hand it's worth showing up to have performances like Tribe. Having that kind of platform offered is a great opportunity.

HaloSon

Banned
She got my respect when I saw a video of her singing Hide and Seek live.

I think on one hand it's worth showing up to have performances like Tribe. Having that kind of platform offered is a great opportunity.

Why? They won't reward that shit come next year.

Sorry I'm making some of yall uncomfortable but damn when we gunna realize the bullshit is unhealthy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Why? They won't reward that shit come next year.

Sorry I'm making some of yall uncomfortable but damn when we gunna realize the bullshit is unhealthy.

I'm honestly trying to understand you more here. So I have two questions.

The first: what would you say to those who don't boycott the Grammys who disagree with what you're saying?

The second: what if Lemonade didn't exist but 25 still did and beat Drake's Views -- an album many people here seem mixed/negative on? Would you be looking at that the same way as you are with Adele beating Beyonce?

daffy

Banned
One of those albums is actually really really good

Both of them are worse than albums they went against, by a wide margin
But is it a snub for those albums to win? Is it a crime against music lovers like so many suggest? Idk.. i feel you can respect the winner but disagree with what went into that conclusion

When is Lemonade getting a BluRay release btw? Feel like we never got confirmation on that

LionPride

Banned
But is it a snub for those albums to win? Is it a crime against music lovers like so many suggest? Idk.. i feel you can respect the winner but disagree with what went into that conclusion

When is Lemonade getting a BluRay release btw? Feel like we never got confirmation on that

I don't respect Taylor Swift, she made a good album but shouldn't have won. It was a snub for 1989 to win over an actual cultural achievement in music, an album that had a song at the forefront of a powerful movement. An album that told a complete story. Hell, Sound & Color was one of the best albums of the year and lost to something good. Not great, not phenomenal, not classic, but good. It was a snub.

I am shocked that 25 won, but that's it.

HaloSon

Banned
I'm honestly trying to understand you more here. So I have two questions.

The first: what would you say to those who don't boycott the Grammys who disagree with what you're saying?

The second: what if Lemonade didn't exist but 25 still did and beat Drake's Views -- an album many people here seem mixed/negative on? Would you be looking at that the same way as you are with Adele beating Beyonce?

I would say that you don't need this show or a Grammy to know your worth. Their validation is not necessary.

The white artist will win 9 outta 10 times to answer your second question.

Meanwhile people leave these shows crushed questions everything. This shit fucks with people.

Kanye and Frank will never go back others need to do the same.

It wasn't no purple rain tho

Purple Rain obliterates it. Born in the U.S.A does too.

I'm well aware but:
  1. Prince is Prince and the prudes on the Grammy board weren't going to vote for him.
  2. White people really love Hello (I mean, I do too and What's Love Got to Do with It, Hello, and Purple Rain are 3 of my favorite songs ever, but they are really extra about Hello).
  3. I think Tina Turner may have deserved it more than, Prince, but they weren't going to let her get the sweep.
  4. The Commodores were apparently popular (I only know of "Nightshift", which they made after Lionel left, I believe).
  5. Lionel was the totally inoffensive Black man. Can't give it Prince, because he's Prince, can't give it to Tina because can't let a Black woman win everything + she had accused her very famous husband of abuse. People like Lionel, so let's vote for him. Boom, no racism!

LionPride

Banned
I'm well aware but:
  1. Prince is Prince and the prudes on the Grammy board weren't going to vote for him.
  2. White people really love Hello (I mean, I do too and What's Love Got to Do with It, Hello, and Purple Rain are 3 of my favorite songs ever, but they are really extra about Hello).
  3. I think Tina Turner may have deserved it more than, Prince, but they weren't going to let her get the sweep.
  4. The Commodores were apparently popular (I only know of "Nightshift", which they made after Lionel left, I believe).
  5. Lionel was the totally inoffensive Black man. Can't give it Prince, because he's Prince, can't give it to Tina because can't let a Black woman win everything + she had accused her very famous husband of abuse. People like Lionel, so let's vote for him. Boom, no racism!

Literally any of the albums besides the Lionel Fucking Richie one should have won.

Mutant

Thinking Christianity is foolish is not a prerequisite to knowing one's history.

There are plenty of black people who are still faithful Christians despite being completely aware of how the religion was introduced to us. For many, it's not about how the religion found you. Just that it did.
I uh, I'm tempted to talk about Christianity from the Nietzsche angle but I'll spare the thread the derail...

So did I hallucinate or did some guy cosplay as King Homer?

daffy

Banned
I don't respect Taylor Swift, she made a good album but shouldn't have won. It was a snub for 1989 to win over an actual cultural achievement in music, an album that had a song at the forefront of a powerful movement. An album that told a complete story. Hell, Sound & Color was one of the best albums of the year and lost to something good. Not great, not phenomenal, not classic, but good. It was a snub.

I am shocked that 25 won, but that's it.
I mean, I had to seek out RapGenius to get alot of the references in that album and I consider myself pretty conscious. I feel like the voters were more interested in voting for an album that easily explores universal themes like finding love, falling in love, defending your love, relocating to a new city, and enjoying your life while shaking off negative vibes. Addressing culture and making a social statement isn't always what makes music important. but fair enough i think either album could've won, clearly you disagree.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No it isn't. Beyoncé has tons of fantastic songs- Haunted, Partition, Blow, and that's ignoring the hits like Drunk in Love.

Morning Phase has... Wave and Blackbird Chain. Beyoncé is just a better album.

I don't agree personally. I think her self-titled album is bland but that Lemonade was amazing.

I would say that you don't need this show or a Grammy to know your worth. Their validation is not necessary.

That didn't actually answer my question though.

LionPride

Banned
I mean, I had to seek out RapGenius to get alot of the references in that album and I consider myself pretty conscious. I feel like the voters were more interested in voting for an album that easily explores universal themes like finding love, falling in love, defending your love, relocating to a new city, and enjoying your life while shaking off negative vibes. Addressing culture and making a social statement isn't always what makes music important. but fair enough i think either album could've won, clearly you disagree.

I listened to that album front to back 10 times the first week it came out. 10 times.

I listened to 1989 a few times and gave my review on it like I typically do.

With a lot of the shit going on at the time, especially in my life, songs like u, I, Alright, Mortal Man, all spoke to me as someone who was suicidal at the time. Hearing one of my favorite artists ever talk about his depression and suicidal ideas and to have songs about self love and us being aight be there too, I loved that. Hearing men and women and non-binary people chanting "We gon be Alright" at BLM protests made me happy. Even something like For Free had a message that I loved. The references to Lucifer, his past life in Compton, the story told, made me love it.

I feel nothing towards 1989 except that it's good and it exists

Pretty obvious the Grammys have some cultural blind spots, the fact that Future & Young Thug havnt been nominated for anything, even though theyve driven rap trends for the last 3 or so years, should tell this you this organisation has outsider status when it comes to the culture.

Shame Lemonade didnt win, I really thought it would, I guess they placed low value on the video that came out with the movie? Because that put it over the top of anything else for me.

At least Views didnt win AOTY though.

RocknRola

Huh, that Metallica + Lady Gaga thing actually kinda worked. Shame about the mics being off, that could have killed the whole thing but they still pulled it off.

1989 was a better album than To Pimp a Butterfly.

The real travesty of this year's Grammys was Bowie beating Radiohead in the Alternative category. We get it Bowie died and he was a legend, but that album had like 3 good songs on it, where A Moon Shaped Pool is fantastic all the way through. It also feels a bit bullshit that it could get nominated in Rock and Alternative. Well, all of the Grammy 'rules' are basically made up bullshit anyway, guess that's why people care more about the performances than the awards.

robotrock

Banned
The real travesty of this year's Grammys was Bowie beating Radiohead in the Alternative category. We get it Bowie died and he was a legend, but that album had like 3 good songs on it, where A Moon Shaped Pool is fantastic all the way through. It also feels a bit bullshit that it could get nominated in Rock and Alternative. Well, all of the Grammy 'rules' are basically made up bullshit anyway, guess that's why people care more about the performances than the awards.

Are you actually mad about this?

lol @ Beyoncé getting snubbed twice for AOTY. The Beck year was a fucking lay-up and the committee blew it and this year a bang average Adele album won but I can understand why. Grammy voters are just hilariously out of touch.

El Topo

It's the Grammys. Of course there's going to be fuckery. I'm not salty about Madonna winning Best Electronic/Dance album in 2007 over Goldfrapp. Not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom