• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Alt-Right Has Its Own Comedy TV Show On A Time Warner Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gun Animal

Is someone saying it is? Does GAF even have any fucking concept of the alt-right? The creators of south park are libertarians. They're not fucking nationalists for christ's sake.

alt-right is now a buzzword for any kind of right-wing ideology besides the Republican establishment (neocons, religious right, conservatives, etc) So even libertarians are alt-right if they don't worship noam chomsky and throw molotov cocktails. Any comedian or entertainer who finds humor in any element of leftist ideology is alt-right as well. You're probably alt-right and you don't even know it.

WATCH MDE PRESENTS: WoRLd pEAcE TONIGHT AT 12:15 AM ET ON [adult swim] AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT. KEEP IT CLEAN, NO VIOLENCE.
CHECK ✊YOUR 🔪LOCAL🔫 LISTINGS 💣

I didn't realise South Park was alt-right....

In fact I don't think it is at all...

South Park isn't alt-right. It's often teenage cynicism masquerading as profundity. It's like if someone gave Holden Caulfield their own television show.

That isn't, however, the same thing as unabashed white nationalism.

Came here from the no women writers thread. I watched this show and it was pretty funny. I don't give a fuck about somebody's personal political beliefs because people are allowed to believe whatever they want, no matter how much it upsets anybody, at least in America.

I know the blackface skit caught some flack. If it's a real black person doing harmful stereotypical characters, is it better?

(I loved The Heart, She Holler and am amazed it could exist.)

Cagey

Banned
I've caught some episodes On Demand and I honestly don't get the humor or the editing. What's the thinking behind the editing?

I've caught some episodes On Demand and I honestly don't get the humor or the editing. What's the thinking behind the editing?

It's just just another expiremental variety format like Tim & Eric. They're just trying to get as many ideas and skits out there in a short runtime.

South Park is not alt-right LOL, they make fun of everybody, from Jesus, guns, consumerism, banking system on one side to making fun of PC exaggeration, Whole Foods and Sally Struthers on the other

Seventy70

I don't even know how someone can call South Park alt-right. Just because they don't choose a side, that doesn't mean they are automatically the opposite of what you are.

South Park is "everyone is stupid in some way, so let's make fun of them." Which works really well except some people seem to think their "side" is somehow immune to stupidity and can't take any criticism at all.

Came here from the no women writers thread. I watched this show and it was pretty funny. I don't give a fuck about somebody's personal political beliefs because people are allowed to believe whatever they want, no matter how much it upsets anybody, at least in America.

I know the blackface skit caught some flack. If it's a real black person doing harmful stereotypical characters, is it better?

(I loved The Heart, She Holler and am amazed it could exist.)

...I...don't think...you got The Heart, She Holler...

TV happened to be on Adult swim and this show came on.... And yeah, nothing about it was funny. Stereotypes on top of stereotypes, on top of disgusting stereotypes. That welfare queen shit was in bad taste too and the rapper bit.

You are arguing against a point literally no one is making.

People are allowed to believe what they want. Other people are allowed to react to those beliefs. That is the system working as intended.

...I...don't think...you got The Heart, She Holler...

How don't I get it? I loved it, it was hilarious!

To clarify here: I'm not saying that this show is amazing in a "Yay, those white people are calling a black person 'n-word'!", because that's stupid! I'm saying that for a show depicting two white characters calling a black character "n-word", that it's amazing that it is actually something that was allowed to be on TV, in the same vein that other scenes from that show equally as offensive and shocking are amazing to be able to be seen on show on TV that anybody (with access to CN/AS) can turn on and see. What's more, both scenes I've linked to are actually funny (at least, I think so)!

You are arguing against a point literally no one is making.

People are allowed to believe what they want. Other people are allowed to react to those beliefs. That is the system working as intended.

I wasn't arguing anything, really, I was just stating what I think.

Why don't you share your thoughts? I look forward to reading them.
Didn't I already? Well, I guess since people seem to expect me to say something that will get me banned or ridiculed, I will just state what I was implying with my first post:

I think creative output by any individual should be judged on its own, without influence of the creator's ideologies or beliefs. I think MDE is pretty funny, from what I checked out after these threads bringing it to my attention. I am quite apathetic about popular politics, though, so maybe it's just me. I can certainly see why somebody more invested in sensitive issues would have a problem with it. I haven't even actually seen the blackface sketch that people are citing here, but upon hearing that, I immediately recalled this scene from The Heart, She Holler. Am I saying that they are the same thing? Absolutely not!

I thought my original post was communicated to be facetious, but here's me clarifying that it actually was.

I am quite apathetic about popular politics, though, so maybe it's just me. I can certainly see why somebody more invested in sensitive issues would have a problem with it.

So here's the thing.

It's not just a matter of "popular politics". If people were saying, "Oh my god, Sam Hyde is a REPUBLICAN", then that'd be one thing.

But we're talking about the alt-right, who include (and are largely represented by) actual, honest-to-god, unapologetic Nazis. I know people tend to see "Nazi" and assume it's hyperbole, but we're talking about people with "1488" tattoos who are really, REALLY fond of anti-semitism.

I think when Actual Nazis enter the conversation, a different set of rules applies.

I don't really see any evidence that MDE is catering to Nazis, nor do I think that anybody should be thinking, "wait a minute, are the creators of this show hypothetically complicit with hypothetical or alleged Nazis and their values and/or is there evidence of their belief and expression of the values and core concepts of Nazism?" before laughing at a joke they feel is funny, naturally.

Now if they ARE Nazis and are attaching a rhetoric of such to their entertainment (which I struggle to accept would be something Adult Swim would air in the first place.), then I could see an obvious problem.

And it's been canceled.

Three weeks after Brett Gelman announced that he was severing ties with Adult Swim due to their treatment of women and their promotion of the “alt-right” comedians and fans behind their new show Million Dollar Extreme, the network has finally responded in the form of a cancellation, confirming with us that the show — which aired its six-episode debut season over the summer — will not return for another season.

Meier

I hadn't heard about this show before this thread was now bumped, but are people really claiming South Park was/is alt-right? That is a completely absurd and outlandish thing to say. It skewers anything and everything.

Ithil

I hadn't heard about this show before this thread was now bumped, but are people really claiming South Park was/is alt-right? That is a completely absurd and outlandish thing to say. It skewers anything and everything.

Just wait til South Park gets round to doing its thing with the alt reich. Suddenly it will be "liberal bias propaganda shill" or something.

Pulka

I liked the show, haven't seen anything else quite like it. Too bad they cancelled it :(

The show was extremely tame compared to the reaction it got from the media (if you can call buzzfeed "the media"). I doubt they even watched the show, because there's not a lot to get mad at, especially if you're watching adult swim after midnight.

locustlx

Kind of crazy that it got cancelled because the show itself was relatively tame for what it is. Goes to show that absurd humor sometimes goes over people's heads. Can't wait to see the next garbage show Adult Swim produces since none of their new pilots have really captured my attention except for maybe Dream Corp, LLC,

locustlx

I think their humor went over your head if you didn't notice anything alarming there.

I think you need to reevaluate your worldview if you think there is any actual malice behind their thoughts. Their comedians who just like to poke at sacred crows in a uncomfortable way. Doesn't mean their right, though. Just having fun with society.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think you need to reevaluate your worldview if you think there is any actual malice behind their thoughts. Their comedians who just like to poke at sacred crows in a uncomfortable way. Doesn't mean their right, though. Just having fun with society.

*they're

*cows

locustlx

Simply being in the genre of comedy doesn't really absolve creative people from saying shitty things. MDE isn't exactly high level satire.

Pointing a camera at a black woman while she schemes ways to cheat the welfare system isn't deep, subversive satire. It's just confirmation bias presented in a bottom-tier version of Tim and Eric.

I get what you're saying but also consider the fact that both of the women in that sketch were actors and they were improvising lines for a sketch that shows a warped view of reality. None of their responses were actually written down but they were merely acting out a social script that they felt was acceptable for the level of the skit. The point was to show that all of us are flawed on some level. Everyone in the skit was lying. We're all liars. Pretty basic premise.

diaspora

Thread title is somewhat inaccurate. Should say that neo-nazis have their own comedy tv show on a time warner network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom