• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Game Delayed Indefinitely for Xbox One [Up: Released]

Eusis

I'd probably guess it's more due to a crippling bug in the Xbone version than anything more conspiratorial. You have to wonder whether it's even worth them releasing the game in six or eight weeks once the hype from the film has all passed.
Yeah, that's the other angle. Even without a Microsoft policy on hitting later it would be like Activision to go "nope not worth it if it can't hit at the same time now it's canceled."

genbatzu

I wonder if its a HW issue.

These type of games are on every device possible.

vitasadqmjyb.png

I wonder why it doesn't have a vita version, but a 3DS version ôo

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is the third time I see this happening, where only the XBO version is missing. Tropico 5 and another game. Weird stuff...

KHlover

Banned
Then why the 360?
PS4/X1 are the same audience.
This has to be the weirdest and craziness news I heard all day on the gaming side.
NPD thread will be meh if Activision speaks out on this.
The game is due in a few weeks...why delay/cancel the game now?
Is there a cause in the contract that forces all version of the game to be released at the same as the movie?
That would be dumb...but wow, all those revenues from the X1 fanbase. It has to be an easy port since you have the PS4 up and running.

Hm yeah. I REALLY hope we get some more info on this. It just doesn't seem to make any sense :/

banjoted

Officially TBD, MCV says:

“We want to inform you that we are revising our release plans for ASM2 on Xbox One,” a release schedule update from Activision confirmed. “When and whether ASM2 is released on Xbox One is TBD.”

Eusis

Hmm. I stand by my guess, though I imagine Activision will probe to see if they can easily fix whatever came up (since a bug MUST have come up at the last minute), if the game is received well and sells well, and if Microsoft will agree to a later date if that's a sticking point for them. If one of those doesn't pan out, yeah, I wouldn't be counting on seeing it.

Eusis

There is. It's just being sold with the wrong format.

the-amazing-spider-man-2-ps4.jpg
Occassional hitching and the game flashing forward from what I last saw. Pass.

I think there's too many wi-fi signals here or something so nothing works for very long. :(

Hip Hop

Interesting.

So...five bucks that this is going to go dark and will eventually be canned some months down the road?

Who knows.

The first Amazing Spider-Man title was released 1 and a half years later on the Vita after it made its original debut.

Same with the Wii U version. Almost a year later.

AniHawk

Who knows.

The first Amazing Spider-Man title was released 1 and a half years later on the Vita after it made its original debut.

microsoft and sony have some sort of bizarre same-day clause though. if they release it on the xbox one in the future, it will have to come with extra stuff. it's partly why rayman legends had more stuff put into it when the wii u version was delayed to match the other three.

This game is probably a rushed mess but these kind of PR releases relating to Xbox one releases is not a good thing for their platform.

Flipyap

vitasadqmjyb.png

I wonder why it doesn't have a vita version, but a 3DS version ôo
I'd bet on a combination of every possible factor: sales of both systems, the target audience, expectations for games on both platforms and costs involved in making those.
They can release a simple game that doesn't even meet Gameloft's mobile game quality standards on the 3DS and hope that it becomes a gift for unlucky kids. On the Vita, there probably is an expectation that the game will closer resemble its console counterpart, which would be significantly harder to make.

Gxgear

My gut's telling me it's not a technical issue that's sprang up late in development. Publishers have rarely shied away from releasing games out in the wild with game-breaking glitches.

Eusis

microsoft and sony have some sort of bizarre same-day clause though. if they release it on the xbox one in the future, it will have to come with extra stuff. it's partly why rayman legends had more stuff put into it when the wii u version was delayed to match the other three.
Sounds like Sony's looser, or became looser anyway. Maybe they have a small window as a grace period, or relented to please indies and even some bigger publishers, while Microsoft took a hardline stance. Conversely I can see them making exceptions to damn near any policy for the right reasons and with enough muscle behind them, question is if these are enough for Microsoft, or if they really are that unrelenting.

I'm guessing Activision expects the worst pulling all mention.

Who knows.

Isn't there a weird parity clause where if you release late you have to add more content?

Yeah, pretty much this.

It'll probably go dark and they'll quietly cancel it a few months later. Unless it's something as simple as a cert issue, but that doesn't sound like it's the case...

AniHawk

Sounds like Sony's looser, or became looser anyway. Maybe they have a small window as a grace period, or relented to please indies and even some bigger publishers, while Microsoft took a hardline stance. Conversely I can see them making exceptions to damn near any policy for the right reasons and with enough muscle behind them, question is if these are enough for Microsoft, or if they really are that unrelenting.

I'm guessing Activision expects the worst pulling all mention.

i don't know how sony's looser. the only difference in launch times seems to be between handheld and console games, like borderlands 2 or rayman origins (although the vita wasn't out when origins was first released).

ValeYard

This is the biggest resolution delta so far: 1080p vs 0p.

But seriously, does the SDK for Xbox One still need that much work that development became so troubled?

Into

What a strange situation

The game will most likely not be all that great, so XB1 users did not exactly lose much here.

Eusis

i don't know how sony's looser. the only difference in launch times seems to be between handheld and console games, like borderlands 2 or rayman origins (although the vita wasn't out when origins was first released).
At a minimum indies apparently aren't bound by any release parity policies. I don't think there's really been any test cases on PS4 yet to see if they changed there or not, most publishers probably do prefer to release on the same day if they can help it anyway.

Though there was that Conception II demo being kept on Tuesday for 3DS rather than the normal Thursday to coincide with the PSN update... for whatever that's worth.

spwolf

if I had to guess, I would say they could not optimize XB1 version in time to make it passable... XB1/PS4/PC versions could share similar code, but others are not, so the fact that it is on 360 or 3DS does not matter at all.

Original got rated 71 on Metacritic, so it is not horrible game as I thought it would be.

Eusis

if I had to guess, I would say they could not optimize XB1 version in time to make it passable... XB1/PS4/PC versions could share similar code, but others are not, so the fact that it is on 360 or 3DS does not matter at all.

Original got rated 71 on Metacritic, so it is not horrible game as I thought it would be.
Not exactly a must play either it seems unless you're really up for a Spider-Man video game, which is fair enough.

madmackem

I love how people have written it off without playing as no big loss, if I was a xbox only gamer I'd be pissed as I really enjoyed the last one and I'm kind of looking forward to this one.

Top Bottom